Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: PINS AND NEEDLES  (Read 12577 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:PINS AND NEEDLES
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2004, 12:51:45 PM »

DR Michael Shayne - I try my best not too eat a "dinner" before the show - it's usually not the best thing to be digesting so much food during the show.  Instead I usually have something substantial around 3:00 or 4:00, and then a snack/protein bar/etc. before the show and at intermission.  However...

I'm up for heading out after the show for a quick bite somewhere.  I know BK likes to sup post-show, so...

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2004, 12:52:57 PM »

OK - That got us to Page Three!

And I need to get back to my work...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2004, 12:54:37 PM »

Oh! I forgot!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]DANCE![/move]

How about a lively Tarantella!!!  Nothing like a vigorous dance to get the spider venom out of your body!!!

:o
:)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 12:57:09 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2004, 01:01:47 PM »

What are the show times right now, Jose?  I might try to go after our rehearsal.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2004, 01:06:02 PM »

[sigh] Another day with no DVD, yet at least. After my guests leave tonight, I'll see what time it is and perhaps let Fred and Rita have a twirl around the dance floor before I pirouette off to bed.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 01:06:30 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2004, 01:10:37 PM »

My question for BK, and everyone:

The song "Meadowlark" seems to be the holy grail for musical theatre women singers to record.  Bruce himself has recorded it at least twice.  So, what do you consider the definitive version of "Meadowlark?"

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2004, 01:17:08 PM »

By the way, none of the films in the Marilyn Monore Diamond Collection (nor any of her other films) are remotely in the horror genre.  So why were these films even reviewed?
Sci-Fi, Horror, and other Genre advocates are always interested in special effects when the support wires aren't obvious.

8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2004, 01:17:42 PM »

I have to confess I've never heard Betty Buckley's version, but so many people seem to love it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2004, 01:18:24 PM »

Matt - I'll cast you as Joe in SHOWBOAT if we can get Audra and Puffy to play Magnolia and Gaylord

Actually, color blind casting should go both ways, but I doubt if we'll ever see a Caucasian RAISIN, DREAMGIRLS, PORGY & BESS or August Wilson play.  Seriously, the majority of plays will work with a cast of any race, but for some plays the race of the character must be as written in order not to invalidate the author's intentions.  
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2004, 01:19:24 PM »

DR Jose, I also am really enjoying your LA adventures.  There is something very wonderful and soothing about the way you write.  

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2004, 01:23:14 PM »

I liked Betty's when I she sang it at Carnagie Hall, but it never did much for me on disc.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2004, 01:27:12 PM »

The song "Meadowlark" seems to be the holy grail for musical theatre women singers to record.  Bruce himself has recorded it at least twice.  So, what do you consider the definitive version of "Meadowlark?"
Ooops!  I've heard several versions of the song, and I DO NOT LIKE IT!  

It's a pretty song, until I get to the last verse, where "she's" using this story she's just retold to us as a justification for leaving her husband.  Ptooie!  And again, ptooie!  It makes me want to hate the wife, and I don't want to hate the wife.  (And I think everyone here knows how I don't like using the word "hate" in an offhand manner, too.)

That being said, the two singers I really regret hearing sing this song are Liz Calloway and Susan Egan (both on BK recordings), because I love both of their voices and find myself having to skip the tracks on their respective recordings, simply to avoid this song.  Dang, dang them all to heck.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2004, 01:35:07 PM »

Patti's, followed closely by Liz Callaway's.

The one version I don't care much (oooh, a Kander & Ebb reference!) for is  --  sorry, BK! -- Miss Susan Egan's.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2004, 01:35:42 PM »

Re color-blind casting:

The best example I can think of, at least recently, was with the chorus of the Wonderful Town revival, during the act two opener, "My Beautiful Eileen."  It's an Irish Cop number, right?  And one of the cops is played by a chorus member who is black, right?  So, of course, he's the one who caps off the recitation with this pure "Irish" tenor.  And it brought cheers from the audience, not just laughter.

Which just goes to show that you CAN play color-blind casting with shows that DO have race-specific moments, if you are clever and have enough hutzpah.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2004, 01:44:50 PM »

In re Danise's repeated question about Fletcher, as to whether or not he already knows American Sign Language:

Uh, no, we don't think he does.  He knows what water is (and how it can be found in both the water bowl and toilet bowl  :P), but doesn't realize there is a word that means water.  And he's got that opposable-thumb problem, in that dew claws just don't make workable substitutes.

OK, enough joking.  Since Fletcher is deaf, he obviously won't be responding to our vocal commands.  This makes a different form of communications with him necessary.  This will mean hand signals, and ASL simply seems the right place to start.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to learn more than we'll need for communicating with Fletcher.  I had a group of customers come into the store who were signing to each other, and I had fun trying to communicate with them (particularly since my moustache makes lip reading harder for them).  Sometimes, learning the basics is simply the right thing to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2004, 01:51:48 PM »

BK - The movie "starts" at 4:40, but after about 15 minutes of previews, it actually started at around 4:55... So.. If rehearsal goes well...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2004, 01:54:03 PM »

And of course ASL is a completely different syntax than signed English.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2004, 02:21:31 PM »

I don't think that there is a "definitive" version.  Most recordings that I've heard (and have) are based on the original Patti version but the four versions that Betty Buckley has recorded are very different even from each other, but I think they are all still very effective (I love the song).  I put together my own "Meadowlark" compilation disc with 13 different recordings (Betty recorded it four times, Patti and Liz, twice each...if anyone wants to know what they are, just let me know)!  And I had one more version (on MP3) that didn't fit on the 80-minute CD that I made, but it was lost when my computer died :'( ).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 02:24:12 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2004, 02:40:49 PM »

In the context of The Baker's Wife, Meadowlark is even worse: We love the Baker.  He's the character we love, and he gets so much pleasure from Genvieve, his young wife.  So, the last thing we want to see is him hurt.  And just try to follow that tremendously long story in the theatre.  Schwartz never makes clear who the protagonist is, so it's quite a task to then figure out whom the characters represent in the show's real story.

David Merrick pulled it from the pit's music stands, and I can say I can see why.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2004, 02:43:41 PM »

Not wanting to be seen as Mr. Negative, I'll balance out that last post with something positive...

PINS AND NEEDLES

It's a marvelous score, has a great recording with Streisand (of all people) doing some of the songs, and I enjoyed it at the old Roundabout on West 23rd.

I try to take to heart its suggestion "Sing me a song of social significance."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2004, 02:48:39 PM »

well off to rehearsal of the wonderful Act Two....oh my...at least we got through Shoes and Socks last night...so tonight Willem turns into a pig...and the only way to stop it is with hideous pagan ritual...well fairly hideous, anyway.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2004, 02:50:44 PM »

BK: Have you ever taught anything?  A whole class?  A single lecture?

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2004, 03:07:45 PM »

OMG, all Big Brother fans must to go this site:

http://www.fitnesstwins.com

WOW!  Adria and Natalie.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2004, 03:30:22 PM »

I will be E & T in the extreme sense until Monday.  I'm going to the Jersey shore for the weekend for, IMHO (internet lingo!), some well-deserved relaxation.  

So, in advance:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! ! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR RLP ! ! ! ! ![/move]

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! ! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR MATT ! ! ! ! ![/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! ! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR JOY ! ! ! ! ![/move]

Keep the home fries burning, people!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Michael

« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2004, 03:44:31 PM »

I directed Tennesse Williams' This Property Is Condemed. The boy was white and the girl I cast was black because she was the best person who auditioned for the role! But the play took on a different nuance to it and I didn't change anything about the text or play the race card.
Never stop dreaming.

mrkdl73

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2004, 04:26:44 PM »

I have been E&T for several weeks and I apologize and please don't b*tch slap me because I have a very low pain tolerance.

Regarding color blind casting, I too think that it is a one way street and having a caucasion Joe, Queenie, Effie, etc would never work.  But could you have a causcasion cast for a show such as AIN'T MISBEHAVIN'?  

My question of the day regards LUCKY STIFF and I was wondering why the song "A Woman in the Bathroom" is not on the recording?  Was the song put in later productions and not part of the original?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2004, 05:41:16 PM »

I'm back to say a quick hello.- but have some phone calls to return. In theory color-blind casting should work. But in reality, anyone who says it makes no difference isn't quite telling the truth. That's not to say I'm against it. I'm just being realistic. For example, I recently saw a wonderful LA Opera production of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC. One of the Quintet was played by a very lovely singer by the name of Joohee Choi. Each time she came on stage I wondered what brought her to Sweden. That wasn't supposed to be what I was thinking about!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2004, 05:46:23 PM »

Could Diahann Carroll have been cast as Madame Armfeldt?  Can Audra MacDonald ever hope to play Desiree when she gets a bit older?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 09:43:54 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2004, 05:46:37 PM »

Markie - "A Woman in the Bathroom" is on the new recording but other than that ands a cut song "Shoes" the new recording is unnecessary as BK's recording was fine.  Jay records will release that while holding recordings made years ago and still not released such as Brent Barrett and Melissa Erico in ONE TOUCH OF VENUS and a 2 CD complete ANYONE CAN WHISTLE.  However Brent Barrett fans (and this here site is full of them) should not worry, as the recording of BROADWAY BY THE YEAR 1960 in which BB is featured will be available September 10 at Footlight (and Footlight.Com) and elsewhere shortly thereafter.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2004, 05:48:03 PM »

In the context of The Baker's Wife...Schwartz never makes clear who the protagonist is, so it's quite a task to then figure out whom the characters represent in the show's real story.
Let's not give Schwartz the full blame here.  Joseph Stein wrote the book, Schwartz was responsible for the music and lyrics.  It takes all three to make a musical (or it did back in 1976).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up