Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HOT WATER  (Read 14539 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:HOT WATER
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2004, 10:44:11 AM »

THE DAILY LEVITY

Three priests were in a railroad station on their way home to Pittsburgh.

Behind the ticket counter was a very sexy, shapely, well endowed woman wearing a very tight, skimpy sweater. She made the three priests very nervous, so they drew straws to determine who would get the tickets.

The first priest approached the window. "Young lady, I would like three pickets to titsburg." He completely lost his composure and fled.

The second priest goes to the window. "Young lady, I would like three tickets to Pittsburgh and I would like the change in nipples and dimes."
Mortified, he too fled.

"Morons...." the third priest mutters and moves to the window. "Young lady, I would like three tickets to Pittsburgh and I would like the change in
nickels and dimes. And, if you insist on dressing like that, when you get to the pearly gates, St. Finger's going to shake his Peter at you."

They took a bus.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2004, 10:49:45 AM »

My biggest home inconvenience was a few months after we bought our house. The AC went out, I was expecting the first baby, and was working free-lance, so that if I didn't work, I didn't get paid. Temperatures in June in Arizona easily get to 110+.

The AC was covered under a home warranty, so I had to call the warranty company for repairs. They said they were too busy, so leave my name and phone number and they would call me back to get information about the problem. No matter how many times I called, that was the response I got. I had to turn down jobs for FOUR DAYS, waiting for them to call back. (This was in the days before cell phones.)

Finally, I called our real estate agent, who called the seller's real estate agent, and she must have given that warranty company what-for, because she called me back and said a repairman would be there in the morning. The repair was covered -- $100 -- but we figured my not working for that week cost us about $500.

When the warranty company called to get us to renew the warranty contract a couple months later, I respectfully declined.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2004, 10:51:45 AM »

Did Danise have to evacuate? I thought her place in Florida was out of the danger zone this time.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2004, 10:58:26 AM »

I have a friend who's ridiculously wealthy. Here's one example of how she deals with disruptions.

Minor renovations were underway in her home. So the only sensible thing to do was to move the family into a suite at the posh Prince Hotel. She told her daughter they'd be "camping out" for a month.

A ridiculously wealthy friend?  Gee, Dan, I don't suppose she would be interested in sponsoring a brilliant actor, so he could chuck his job and move to New York?

No, td, I meant me.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2004, 10:59:33 AM »

BK, for your information:

When going through my mother's things, I found a contract for termite treatment from a major national chain. She had paid $1600 for treatment and $200 per year for the warranty (beginning the year after the treatment).

When I had my house treated, I found a local company that charged $700 and no yearly fee for the ten-year guarantee.

So when you have the termites treated, check around for the best deal. They used Termidor, which only required exterior drilling -- you certainly don't want them to drill in your beautiful wood floors!

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2004, 11:05:46 AM »

Hey thanks very much to DRs Jane and RLP for their rosee sauce links.

And DR Jane, still no luck with the double mattress.  However I did find the bill for the last one.  So there is a bit of info on that.

I have looked online.  I will keep looking.  I think I will have more luck there.

Originally I was trying to find places in Canada or that would ship to Canada.  But now I will just look for any place in the US, and worry about the shipping details later.  I can always have it shipped to someone else first.

I did find one place (e-waterbeds or something like that).  And they show doubles listed. Only thing is their doubles are 54' X 84 and my bed is '54 X 74). But at least I am getting closer.

I will take out all the remaining water either today or tomorrow. And my sis will bring over my dad's air mattress that she "borrowed".  So I will try to sleep on that in the meantime.

Also once the water is out, I will fill it with air (apparently that is how you find exactly where the leak is).

Oh how fun.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2004, 11:16:36 AM »

T.O.T. D.

Back on January 20, 1993, as Bill Clinton was taking his Oath of Office for the first time, we, here in the Northwest, suffered a severe windstorm that became known as the Inaugural Day Storm (I still blame the Republicans).  I was without electricity for five days.  Fortunately, it was not the coldest winter we had experienced, and the temperature managed to stay above freezing during the nighttime hours (although barely).  The best news of all, at that time, was I discovered that cheap jug wine could be served at room temperature without spoiling the kick.  I don't remember a lot of those five days!

That was the same year that I checked myself into treatment!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2004, 11:37:47 AM »

Bruce, we at least have hot water but it smells REALLY bad.  Recently we had new hot water heaters installed with special plumbing to reduce the normally odd smell of our well water.  The smell of this water first thing in the morning makes me gag.

This is of course not the worst thing that has ever happened.  We have moved so many times and renovated so often I need to think about which of the experiences was the worst-there were so many of them.

None of them match someone trying to burn the house down.  I started a couple of fires when I was young but put them out quickly before anyone knew about it.

Jane

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2004, 12:10:45 PM »

Did Danise have to evacuate? I thought her place in Florida was out of the danger zone this time.

I received an email from her this morning:

"So far, so good.  We had our first band of rain go over just a little while ago.
The power has already gone off several times (just for a second) but if that’s a sign of things to come, I may not be on the computer for awhile."

Jane

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2004, 12:17:28 PM »

All the times we lost heat, water and electricity were a cinch compared to some of our remodeling stories.

I’m finding today’s topic upsetting as it is bring up too many bad memories.  I don’t even know where to begin.  There was the house we called “THE MONEY PIT”.  Just like in the movie part of our fireplace collapsed.  The deck had to be replaced twice.  After the first replacement it leaked water into the house and ruined our dining room table.  Multiple times we had flooding in the house and multiple times we paid various people to correct the problem until someone finally got it right.  

Hardest to deal with were all the people who started jobs and left in the middle and the messes they made, people who promised to keep everything covered only to throw a few sheets up.  One of the cats developed asthma from one of those people.  Most of all I hated doors and windows left open when the workers were told over and over not to let the pets out.

Only one more since I could go on for hours.  We sandblasted the paint off the brick of a house.  I was assured the dust would not get into the pool.   The project was to take only a couple of days but the guy kept disappearing on and off.  At least he left his equipment-what would we do with half a painted house and half natural brick?  Finally he returned on a Saturday when Keith was home.  Suddenly Keith storms into the house very upset, the pool cover had collapsed into the pool along with a ton of stuff from the house.  I went outside and the guy couldn’t understand why Keith was so upset.  I also discovered I had to be very careful with him, which is why we paid him.  I was sure the guy was affiliated with the KKK.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2004, 12:26:00 PM »

My biggest inconvenince has been blackouts --- both citywide and in my building.  Also, although the building was built in 1960, the electrical system still uses an old fashioned fuse box which blows fuses on a regular basis.  While they have done a lot of cosmetic work on the building, I wish they would re-wire to circuit breakers.

Off to see THE FROGS tonight.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2004, 12:37:00 PM »

You're seeing frogs tonight?  I hope you're not seeing any pestilence, too.  I'm seeing hamsters today.  I'm seeing dead people.  I'm seeing many errant and truant hainsies/kimlets.  I'm seeing the bitch-slapping machine on its way out of the closet.  I'll bet you didn't know the bitch-slap machine came out of the closet.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2004, 12:43:32 PM »

I always thought that closets were for clothes!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2004, 12:48:09 PM »

Subways are for clothes.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2004, 12:48:39 PM »

I'm trying to figure out when to go to the gym, so I can work out, shower and be fresh as a daisy.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2004, 01:26:21 PM »

Thankfully, knock on wood, I have not had any big inconveniences at my home! I will be remodling the bathroom very soon, with the help of my niece's hubby but hopefully it will all go smoothly.

Picked up PAJAMA GAME at K-Mart on DVD for just $4.99. Have never seen that film so I might give it a spin this weekend.

Jane

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2004, 02:22:15 PM »

Panni, I like the chocolate mint-not a favorite but I enjoy it once in awhile.  My favorite See’s is the milk chocolate, chocolate cream.  What is your favorite?

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2004, 02:26:01 PM »

Well worth $4.99, The Pajama Game.

Now, as with the earlier-this-week discussion of On the Town, it's clear I don't understand what makes a man attractive.  (Of Jules Munshin, Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly, I thought that Sinatra seemed the most like a savvy New Yorker, Kelly the most like a farmboy but was told Kelly's ten times more sexy than Sinatra and Munshin the most farmboyish.  Surprised me, but I'm learning.)  So take it with many grains of salt when I say that John Raitt is insufficiently handsome.

The Pajama Game's strength is that it's SO faithful to the Broadway original, using much of the creative team and even some of the cast, including John Raitt, in his only movie lead.  And he's got looks, I feel, that one can love from several rows back in a Broadway theatre, but not so much blown up on to a big movie screen.  He's a little wooden, although always in fine voice.

But I really love the way the pajama-manufacturing machines seem to dance along with the music.  It gives an inkling of the sort of cleverness Bob Fosse brought to the cinema decades later.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Tomovoz

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2004, 02:40:03 PM »

BK: DR Ben is visiting family in Minesota.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2004, 03:24:27 PM »

Hi all.  Sorry to have been E&T the past couple of days.

I worked on getting the house/yard ready and took the dogs for a walk while I still could.  I took a little nap this afternoon in case it turns out to be a very long night.

As Jane reported, we have already had a couple of the outer bands come over us already.  Not very bad but lots of rain and some wind.  Mandatory Evacuations have been called for anyone in low areas/manufactured homes and mobile homes.  

At one time, I considered buying a manufactured home but now I am very glad I did not.  I don't know where I would go with Mom, the dogs and the fish.  I brought him (the fish) home again because I wasn't sure what was going to happen.

One the things I am getting a chuckle out of is some of the commercials.  I know these were done before the hurricane but it's funny to hear some of the car dealerships saying they're having a blow out sale or some such.  I told Mom if they don't tie some of those things down they might be blowing down the street!

I don't think I would be out buying a car or a couch this weekend!  :)

I would like to watch some DVD's but Mom doesn't want to leave the live TV in case something big happens.  The main part of the storm isn't going to get here until around 2 tomorrow afternoon.......  Like I said, it could be a long night.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 03:35:20 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2004, 03:25:51 PM »

Panni, I like the chocolate mint-not a favorite but I enjoy it once in awhile.  My favorite See’s is the milk chocolate, chocolate cream.  What is your favorite?

What else? Dark chocolate MARZIPAN!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2004, 03:29:03 PM »

DRMBARNUM - I heartily concur with DRNOEL - watch The Pajama Game....Doris shines, the music is a treat...and the musical staging (yes, mostly faithful to the stage but E X P A N D E D) is outstanding!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2004, 03:35:57 PM »

I just bought the DVD to "Call Me Madam" a few days ago.  I never was too interested in "The Pagama Game" because about 8 years ago, a local theater group did it.  I only saw it once (out of their six or so performances) and I just wasn't impressed.  I knew that their production wasn't that great, but I must've let my opinion of the production cloud any impartial opinion of the show itself.  And if I can find it as cheaply as MBarnum ($4.99!) I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.  Maybe I will!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2004, 03:36:11 PM »

All these house horror stories bring another one to mind.
I never wanted to own a house. I never really wanted to own much of anything, in my youth, except books. I was a free spirit, I guess. Even though I was the young genius head writer, Al Waxman (the King of Kensington) used to call me "the hippie chick."
Anyway, after I hooked up with my ex-husband, who already happened to have two children who would be visiting and staying over frequently, an actual  house was necessary. We drove all over Toronto - areas we liked - and found a great old house in the Greek section of town ("the Danforth") which had been totally renovated. I had never spent such a huge chunk of money in my life (I didn't even own a car - in Toronto- like NY - you don't need one)... So we moved into the house - beautiful hardwood floors, natural brick and white walls -  and the first night - the deluge hit. It seems that some workman had hammered a gigantic nail into one of the water pipes -- and it was just a matter of time until...  Aaaargh. Why is it that so many people don't do their work properly? Remember the good old days when even the lowliest of assembly line workers took pride in a job well done? Am I sounding like an old fogy?

Tomovoz

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2004, 03:42:05 PM »

Is Studs Terkel were to be researching "Working" now he would find such a different world.  Must admit though I have not read any of his other books. With "Working" it is so easy to see the inspiration for the songs in the musical.  I wish the show was more widely known and performed here in Australia.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2004, 03:52:41 PM »

I'm here, I'm here. I was, believe it or not, doing homework. (Oh, the horror!) I need to figure out what I am going to do for my presentation on Wednesday.

The biggest disaster to hit this house in recent memory is the one that lives in the room next to mine and bangs on a drum all night.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

François de Paris

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2004, 03:56:46 PM »

Remember the good old days when even the lowliest of assembly line workers took pride in a job well done?

It might be that, THEN, workers were getting better recognition from their employers..... and the customers..... Who knows??? ???

George

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2004, 03:56:48 PM »

Is Studs Terkel were to be researching "Working" now he would find such a different world.  Must admit though I have not read any of his other books. With "Working" it is so easy to see the inspiration for the songs in the musical.  I wish the show was more widely known and performed here in Australia.

I'm here at work but I actually listened to this earlier this morning!  I have both the remastered (by our very own BK) first CD release and the 1999 L.A. Theatre Works live concert cast.  

François de Paris

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2004, 04:02:01 PM »

Play it safe, Danise!

I have people from Deland tonight here at the hotel, and they're glad they'll miss Frances!

(Stupid me! Had to correct my sentence! Was saying the opposite of what I meant to say....
I'm my own "hurricane"!
Don't mind me! I'm just passing though!...)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 04:04:34 PM by François de Paris »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2004, 04:06:04 PM »

My goodness, not even three pages and it's four o'clock.  I'm back from the gym, and am relaxing a bit before being on my way to the theater.  Let's get a frenzy goin' on, what do you say?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up