Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HOT WATER  (Read 14541 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HOT WATER
« on: September 04, 2004, 12:11:50 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've savored the notes, and now it is time to post until the cows come home, for if you don't you most assuredly will be in hot water.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 11:59:36 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:HOT WATER
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 12:18:51 AM »

Welcome six GUESTS.  We're talkin' about hot water.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 12:20:39 AM »

The TOD is easy for me to answer. The most annoying and disruptive thing that has ever happened to my home environment was when those pesky Russian soldiers tried to burn it down. That was very annoying. And most definitely disruptive.

Panni

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 12:29:13 AM »

Then there was the time in Boulder when I kept putting off cleaning the leaves from roof gutters (I think that's the term). There was a huge rainstorm and the water had nowere to go but straight down and in through the basement window. The basement was where DD had her room and it was totally flooded. I was all alone at the time. DD was away somewhere and it was the middle of the night. I had to find someone to come out and diagnose the problem (I didn't know where the deluge was coming from), then I had to go to an all night supermarket and rent one of those water pickeruper vacuum things to get a headstart on the drying. In the morning I finally found someone to come out and start the long job of drying out the basement. And, of course, I had to move everything by myself before those people came out. Did I mention how bad it smelled?
I think the Russians were easier.

Panni

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 12:36:34 AM »

Then there was the time when my mother decided that she would buy a big house in Toronto and we would live on the ground floor and she would rent out rooms on the other two floors. One of the roomers - a Mr. McIntosh - robbed the store where he worked (okay, he wasn't a Mensa member). The police came and had a stakeout at the house, waiting for him to show up. That was very annoying and disruptive. Believe it or not, he DID show up. Late at night. Guess he figured the police all go home after 10. Did I mention he wasn't a Mensa member?

Panni

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 12:40:31 AM »

I have a thousand of them... But I'll save some for tomorrow -- which is today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 02:01:07 AM »

Good Evening!  Good Morning!

I'm back from the post-show supper that BK mentioned in the notes.  What a nice time.  And it truly was a very nice and unexpected - and very generous - surprise when DR Michael Shayne's friend, Gabriel, picked up the check.  Thank You, DFofDR (Dear Friend of Dear Reader)!

Despite some page-turn trauma tonight - which, thankfully, was not too noticeable (to most people at least) ;) - I had a pretty good show tonight - as did the rest of the cast.  It was a great audience.  And in yet another "small world" coincidence, a friend of mine from college happened to be in the audience tonight.  He was just coming to see the show to see the show, and noticed my name in the program when he got there.  I actually ran into him before the show when I went out in the hall on my way to the bathroom.  I saw this attractive guy - ;) - and suddenly he said, "Jose?"... "Hey, it's Charles from VCU!" -And our mini-reunion started there.  He then introduced me to his wife - ah, well ;) - and then it was time to get ready to start the show.  Charles moved out here a couple of years ago.  Wonderful singer - tenor - and he just finished a run a new musical that was running at a theatre just up the street.  And, as I mentioned, he's very nice looking too.

Also in attendance tonight was my friend, Chris, and some friends of his.  Chris is the one who produced the audio for the "Coming Attractions" sequence, and this was his first time seeing the show.  Hopefully, we'll be able to get together on Sunday or Monday and grab a bite to eat or something.  We haven't seen each other since I "moved out" of his place a couple of weeks ago.

Well, that's about it... Oh, as I unpacked my laptop tonight, I realized that I had left my mouse at Kinko's - I had gone there to print out some stuff before the show.  Well... It was starting to die anyway, so, I guess that's me "permission" to by a new one.  -Although I'll probably go back tomorrow and check to see if it's still there.  In the meantime, my touchpad doesn't seem to acting up too much.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2004, 02:12:25 AM »

As for household inconveniences...  When Steve and I had our apartment on Grove Ave., we had a leaking roof problem on and off for about a year and a half.  They would come and fix it, but then the water would eventually find another path into our apartment.  The worst was when it started leaking quite heavily due to the ice and snow that was melting on the roof.  It was about a week after Christmas, and as we were getting to go to bed, we started hearing all this water... Well...  After the initial deluge stopped - and we had taken every spare towel out of the closet and hamper - we just ended up taking down our Christmas trees (we had two small ones since we didn't have the space for one big one) while we made sure the water was just down to a trickle.  And there were a few nights when a storm would start in the middle of the night, and we'd be awakened by the drip, drip, drop of the water coming in via the window casing.

I did have to deal with my water being shut off once due to some repairs being made to the water main, but, thankfully, I was able to use the showers in the dressing rooms up at school, so that wasn't too bad.

And I vaguely remember the time when my family lived in New London, CT, - I was about nine years old - when the septic tank overflowed.... Ewwww....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2004, 02:14:25 AM »

Oh, and there were those few times in college, when my electricity was turned off... Well... You know... Umm...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2004, 02:16:31 AM »

Well.. before my second - or, possibly third - wind kicks in...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2004, 04:02:01 AM »

Some years ago, not long before we had moved into this house, I turned on the shower one morning to have it fill with sand and not water!

The plumber thought he had been called out to a candid camera stunt.  Water pipes under the concrete slab on which the house was built, had ruptured and were drawing up the bedding sand.  New pipes had to be installed to bypass the old ones which could not be reached without destroying the concrete foundation of the house.  Fortunately for us, all the piping was down one side of the house only.
Also fortunate was the fact that we have kind and understanding neighbours with a spare bathroom at the end of the house nearest us - and an exterior door to that part of the house so mimimal disruption was caused.

Our greatest fear in this semi rural area is bushfires. The last fires through here wiped out much of the village and many of the neighbouring homes.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

beckon

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2004, 04:45:53 AM »

TOD:

Hot Water is an appropriate title for my house destruction story.

When I was a teenager, during the mid 1980s, my parents and I would go on many weekend trips.  One particular Memorial Day weekend (1985 I believe), we came home to discover that the inside hot water heater (located in the kitchen/foyer) had burst.  Over half of the house was flooded!  I will never forget the feeling I had when we entered the house.  All of the wall-to-wall carpeting had been ruined.  After the accident, my parents decided to have wooden floors with oriental rugs instead.

The biggest change?  The water heater is now located outside.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 04:49:27 AM by beckon »
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2004, 05:29:48 AM »

My disruptive horror story happened during my first year of retirement. I was playing Bob Cratchit in SCROOGE and the director had booked me, my "show wife," and my "show children" in various venues around town to do PR for the show (which worked - we didn't play a single performance to an empty seat). Anyway, it was during this very busy time that my central heat decided to die - the coldest December on record in Charlotte. My house is well insulated so the first night, the house kept its heat fairly well, and I could sleep under an electric blanket and not freeze to death, but after the heating company came in and said it couldn't be replaced until Monday (this was Friday), that meant a weekend of either sleeping in my own bed or availing myself of kindly friends who offered their homes to me. I tried one more day and night - the worst I think I have ever spent. The house was 40 degrees, and during the day I would sit in front of a space heater wrapped up to keep warm. My bathroom has a heater built in the wall so I could take a shower and not freeze when I got out. So, I lived that day and night in the bathroom, the den where the space heater was, and my bedroom where the electric blanket was (and I still slept in a sweat shirt and sweat pants that night).

Kicker is that the workmen didn't finish the job on Monday, and it wasn't completed and heat back on until Tuesday. And living on a pension, I was VERY unhappy to have to fork out this huge sum of money for a new system. And, wouldn't you know, my central air conditioning system ALSO had to be replaced that summer. So both major systems had to be replaced within a year of my retiring. My bank account was as inconvenienced as I was.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2004, 05:33:37 AM »

Among the DVDs I got for my birthday were THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD, THE NAME OF THE ROSE, and LOST IN LA MANCHA. Unless DARBY O'GILL makes an appearance today, I suspect one of those will be going into the player tonight.

This afternoon, I'm helping a friend get his computer back up and running, and then we'll have an afternoon by the pool. Today is supposed to be our last nice day for awhile with Hurricane Frances' rain spilling over into our area a little bit.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2004, 05:57:30 AM »

I have a friend who's ridiculously wealthy. Here's one example of how she deals with disruptions.

Minor renovations were underway in her home. So the only sensible thing to do was to move the family into a suite at the posh Prince Hotel. She told her daughter they'd be "camping out" for a month.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2004, 06:10:17 AM »

C'est la vie!

Hmmmmmmmmmm....what a delightful dinner was had by all the What If! celebrities and guests!  

Hmmmmm....oh DRJANE....the song that DancingPaul uses is "Tall Paul" (among others) by our favorite friend Miss Annette Funicello Gilardi Holt.

Disruptions...many....but the major one recently was when we were having French Doors installed in the kitchen to go out to the patio.  First we had to finish the wall and close off the laundry room....we then opened a wall in the bathroom that made the laundry room part of it.  

Holly the dog finally learned that she had to go through the bathroom to get to the back door....after a few days of trying to get into the cabinet where the door had previously been located....then the French doors were installed (week of waiting for a new door to replace a broken one, huge hole in the wall, plastic and visqueen covers).

Then Holly would go through the bathroom and try to get into the closet where the back door was previously located.  Eventually she figured out she could use the French doors, and in fact they had windows low enough so that she could see outside!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2004, 06:21:11 AM »

In referring yesterday to DARBY O'GILL, someone yesterday asked if this was the movie with Sean Connery and Walter Brennan. Well, Sean Connery is certainly the star, but Walter Brennan is not in this film. You're probably confusing it with Disney's later fantasy with Walter THE GNOME-MOBILE.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2004, 07:03:58 AM »

Our greatest fear in this semi rural area is bushfires.

That's it - blame the Republicans >:(
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2004, 08:34:19 AM »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2004, 09:05:38 AM »

When my ex and I were still together, we sequentially purchased a number of fixer-uppers, fixed-'em-up--living in the houses as they were remodeled--and then moved on to the next one.  As a result, there's a significant portion of my life during which my "kitchen" consisted of a microwave oven and a coffeemaker (and nothing else) in a bathroom.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2004, 09:17:20 AM »

I am furious....I am furious blue....I am beside myself.

My Second Season I Love Lucy DVD's all begin to play....I see the CBS Video Logo...and then....INCOMPATIBLE disk message shows up....all other DVD's still play fine.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 09:17:42 AM by JRand54 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2004, 09:29:59 AM »

I just sent she of the Evil Eye on her merry way.  Next time she comes I'll... Oh, I'm not ready to tell that part of the story yet, but soon.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2004, 09:32:53 AM »

...a microwave oven and a coffeemaker (and nothing else) in a bathroom.

Made taking care of the usual bathroom necessities quite a challenge, I suspect. :-\
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2004, 09:46:21 AM »

Dear Reader Jose and I will be leaving momentarily for a sojourn to the Getty Museum.

We're talking art, Dear Readers.  Art.

Until later...
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2004, 09:57:23 AM »

I have on NPR which is broadcasting an Opera in English program. I now know why opera shouldn't be sung in English (unless it was written in English to begin with - Britten, for example). The reason it shouldn't be sung in English is that you can't understand what they're saying anyway, so it just becomes an exercise in frustration. If it's in Italian, you don't expect to understand it, so you can relax. Plus Italian or French or German sounds better. Carmen in English? Naw. Give me unintelligible pretty sounds with surtitles and I'm happy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2004, 10:08:36 AM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  Has dear reader Ben been around - maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember seeing a post from him in quite some time.    Not to mention several other errant and truant dear readers.  You'd think this was a holiday weekend or something.  Oh, well, we shall have to persevere without the errant and truant (EAT, in Internet lingo).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2004, 10:14:10 AM »

LOL

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2004, 10:14:37 AM »

Yes, it is very slow around these parts today.

Is it Saturday or something?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2004, 10:35:07 AM »

Slooooooooow.  Well, I'm here.  At some point, I shall go to the gym for my daily (at least until I have hot water) shower and exercise bike ride and sauna.  I'll probably do that in the afternoon at some point.  I'm hoping it won't be too crowded on a Saturday on a holiday weekend, unless THAT is where all the dear readers have got to.  I also hope to watch a DVD or two.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2004, 10:39:44 AM »

Welcome four GUESTS.  We're talkin' about hot water.  Which is what the errant and truant will be in if they don't get their butt cheeks in here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up