Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FINAL DRESS  (Read 7313 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FINAL DRESS
« on: May 20, 2014, 12:35:38 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were dressed and final, and now it is time for you to post until the dressed and final cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: FINAL DRESS
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 12:36:25 AM »

And the word of the day is: VERBICIDE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 01:31:58 AM »

Topic of the Day:  two movies that I really liked, but the critics didn't were "John Carter" and "Battleship."  And both, coincidentally, starred Taylor Kitsch.  Were they incredibly fabulous movies?  No.  But were they as bad as the reviews led one to believe?  No.  I didn't think that they were trying to be huge "blockbusters," but the expectation was that they were.  I didn't expect that, so I wasn't disappointed.  I just enjoyed them for what they were. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 01:48:56 AM »

Taylor Kitsch is also in the new HBO movie, "The Normal Heart."  I bought an Emmy For-Your-Consideration 29-DVD set that includes "The Normal Heart" AND "Six by Sondheim"(!), and it's supposed to arrive Wednesday.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:42:56 AM »

Good somewhat early morning, all.

Found myself wide awake at six a.m., got up, and made coffee.  I actually didn't mind being up for some reason, but at the same time, I already feel the need for a LI'L nap.  Oy.  Oh well.

ChasSmith

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 03:48:07 AM »

Okay, these are my favorite notes to date re LI'L ABNER.  A dream show has come together.  I wish more than anything that I could be flying out there today.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 04:42:37 AM »

Fantastic about your show, bk. Wishing you and your cast and crew all the best tonight on your preview performance!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 04:43:56 AM »

I'll drink to that...

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 04:44:34 AM »

That's some set, DR George!   Ebay?

Michael

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 04:56:22 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 05:03:06 AM »

On the twentieth of May, I proclaim Liza Doolittle Day!

Michael

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 05:04:17 AM »

I was looking for a shot of Bruce and donuts from the First Nudie musical to show that nothing has changed after 35+ years, but instead I found this which I thought was interesting.

Recorded on July 16, 2011 for Bizarre Noir's production of Miss Robusta Goes To The Movies at The Players Theatre in New York City. Ambar Aranaga, Alexis Braxton, Monica Hernandez, Nancy Ellen Reinstein, and Camellia Tatara sing Honey Whatcha Doin' Tonight from The First Nudie Musical - music by Bruce Kimmel

http://youtu.be/BG21L3gnTPo
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 05:08:15 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept later than I should have, but I am dressed and ready to face a day at PRIMROSE rehearsal. Yesterday went well, with a few shaky moments in refining the music and the vocal parts. When I got home I had a lot of 1924 London references to look up. The one thing I could not find was the allusion to "her oyster bar" in the comedy song"Mary Queen of Scots."  I would probably need several British magazines from the period and hopefully an article or advertisement to find the answer.  The other difficult one in the song, since the 1924 cast recording is not the clearest sound, is the line "William   .  .  . at the Battle of Waterloo."  I would swear that he's singing "William Hooper who died at the battle" but it also sounds like "William Hooperthrough died. . ."

So, I spent time last night looking at casualty lists from 1815 and it might be surgeon "William Cooper who . . ."  but since the verse is about royal messes, I;m wondering if the line is about William II of the Netherlands, the Prince of Orange, who was wounded, only I can't find anything on the garbled sound to verify this. So much for research tribulations.

More coffee!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 05:13:31 AM »

I also learned that the Bloody Mary, which was named after Queen Mary I, daughter of Henry VIII, not Mary Queen of Scots, was invented at Harry's American Bar in Paris, an establishment that was recreated onstage in the 1933 musical ROBERTA.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 05:16:42 AM »

That's some research you've got on your plate, DR Elmore.

ChasSmith

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 05:30:47 AM »

Interesting about the Bloody Mary.

Kerry

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 05:36:53 AM »

Sending out those good vibes for everybody for everything!
I like boat races.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 06:36:16 AM »

Morning, all! Thrilled to hear about the Lil' Abner production; breaking-of-legs vibes to the cast & crew!

TOD:
It had many weak spots, but the George Wolfe revival of "On The Town" in Central Park is one that will stay with me for many more years to come. Just to hear that score outdoors in the Delacorte was a life-altering experience for me.

FJL

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 06:36:44 AM »

Haven't fully caught up, but great to hear about the show!

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 06:43:07 AM »

With all this talk of Amish feasts and chocolate peanut butter things, I can't seem to stop thinking about food.

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 06:57:42 AM »

DR TCB, re: who will win Dancing With The Stars.

You wrote that you would be surprised if Meryl and Maks don't win.

While I think they probably have the best chance to win I would not be surprised at all if Amy and Derek win.

Meryl and Maks: 1. Yes she is the best dancer left, 2. Yes her and Maks have great chemistry, 3. Maks has never won.

But IMO what Amy and Derek are doing is more amazing.  I expected Meryl to be exactly as good as she is. I would never in million years have thought that Amy could do what she is doing.

I think that Derek and Amy could easily win because: 1. Derek is the most popular pro, 2. What Amy is doing is remarkable considering she has no feet, 3. Derek knows how to choreograph for his partners and his freestyle was the most original.

I am shocked at the comments I read on facebook from Meryl and Maks' fans towards Amy.  I feel like the standard that Amy is dancing at is so high (not quite as good as Meryl, but considering the challenges she has I think just as worthy of winning).

Also, it is slightly possible that a lot of Christians will vote for Candace just because they like her and her faith.  I personally think that she is the most likeable contestant. And she had absolutely no dance experience. But I would not be happy if she won, since I feel that she is way below the others in dance ability.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:00:02 AM by Jennifer »

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 07:05:55 AM »

TOD:

Most people I know (including my wife) hate THE ENGLISH PATIENT.  It's not one of my favorite movies, but I do like it...and so did the Academy.

I also like THE GODFATHER, Part III...though I agree that the casting of Sofia Coppola was a mistake.

Additionally, I like CRASH...as did the Academy.
You can dream…or you can do.

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 07:26:51 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  I have another quiet day ahead, with some puttering on the schedule and maybe a walk around the neighborhood.  After the hectic weekend, I'm really enjoying this down time.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 07:31:16 AM »

I am very casually watching DWTS, mostly because of Meryl and Charlie.  Last night I fully expected Candace to be eliminated, but what do I know?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 07:35:09 AM »

Laura

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 07:45:08 AM »

Good morning. I spent a lovely couple of days out of town looking for birds. Found some, too.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 07:48:14 AM »

I've got my contacts in, which at the moment aren't focusing so perfectly, and I thought DR Laura said she had spent a lovely couple of days out of town looking for brides.

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 07:55:42 AM »

It's almost eleven in the a.m.  I wonder how much longer we're supposed to sit here on page one.

ChasSmith

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 07:56:20 AM »

Well, you know what?

There's no Jack S. like our Jack S.

ChasSmith

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 07:56:30 AM »

And remind me to fire that chauffeur.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up