Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SARNO'S  (Read 4976 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SARNO'S
« on: July 17, 2014, 12:33:11 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes waxed nostalgic for Sarno's, and now it is time for you to post until the waxed cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SARNO'S
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 12:33:56 AM »

And the word of the day is: TAUTOLOGY!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 01:52:47 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 01:54:41 AM »

I can't make it on Sunday. Sorry. We will be in New Jersey for an 80th Birthday celebration for Anthony's aunt.

ChasSmith

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 03:59:42 AM »

Good morning, all.

The usual:  slept okay, but woke up way too early.

Coffee!

ChasSmith

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 04:09:45 AM »

I have a full day, including a rehearsal, so will be largely E&T till late tonight.

ChasSmith

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 04:11:31 AM »

That old color photo of Sarno's is heartbreaking.  What a beautiful, welcoming, neighborhood place.  They don't make 'em like that any more.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 04:20:34 AM »

Good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 04:26:08 AM »

MOVIE OF THE DAY

Never stop dreaming.

ChasSmith

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 04:27:39 AM »

TOD:

I was going to say that as much as I've always enjoyed Eye-talian meals, no particular place comes to mind ... but something just popped into my head, thanks to having just been on the outskirts of Philadelphia which had me thinking about this only a week ago:

On a cold but nice clear winter day in January of 1986 I was visiting friends in Philly.  A group of us were walking around South Street enjoying the shops, street life, etc., and one of them took us to a nice Eye-talian jernt that evening.  No idea of the name or exact location, but the company was perfect, the large round table we occupied near the back of the room was perfect, everything everybody had was perfect, and for the longest time, the thing I remembered it for was that that meal was my introduction to Eye-talian bread dragged through a to-die-for olive oil.

In L.A. I enjoyed going to Chianti on Melrose a few times -- which is interesting, because I have no memory of how good it might or might not have been, but I loved that it was a nice old traditional jernt.

Seems like there should be more to offer on Eye-talian places and meals.  Maybe something will come to me later.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 04:31:35 AM »

TOD

There has not been one "WOW FACTOR" in any of the Italian restaurants I've been in Florida.

That would have to be for many different restaurants in Montreal which has a large diverse Italian population. Depending on what regional dish you feel like eating you can find a restaurant that caters to it.

Only been to 1 or 2 places in New York's Little Italy, but they were also WOW
Never stop dreaming.

ChasSmith

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 04:33:01 AM »

Sorry to hear Ben won't be around for Sunday.  I'll be there.  Anyone else?

Michael

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 04:52:30 AM »

BK:

Did Jason's mom make her cameo in the opening number?
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 05:38:02 AM »

Thursday already!
I like boat races.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 05:51:21 AM »

bk, loved today's notes - especially the Jason Graae story - how thrilling!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 05:53:20 AM »

Good morning, all! I once again fell asleep around midnight after too many drugs. The alarm rang far too early at 8:15, but I am up and movingabout. Time for more coffee.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:56:36 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 05:54:08 AM »

All right. Put me down for Sunday at 4! I guess DR ChasSmith and I will hold the fort down.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 05:55:10 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  Vibes for DRs Mike, Jeanne, TCB, and Keith!  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 05:56:35 AM »

TOD:

I remember going into NYC with our high school choral teacher and a bunch of fellow choir geeks to see the original production of Sweeney Todd (I had already seen it on my own about 3 or 4 times). But before the show, we all went and got a big table at Mama Leone's. Is that even still there any more?

I don't remember anything about the food, but the atmosphere was charming, and I remember feeling exhilarated and quite full of joy that evening.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 05:57:48 AM »

Ben

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 06:05:22 AM »

Before the show, we all went and got a big table at Mama Leone's. Is that even still there any more?

Nope, been gone for a long, long time. There isn't any restaurant, that I can tell, in the newly renovated Milford Plaza/Row Hotel. The restaurant spaces are still waiting for tenants as far as I can tell.

Ben

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 06:05:35 AM »

LOVE the cartoon! I've felt that way about math many times.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:07:49 AM by Ben »

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 06:12:02 AM »

Thanks for the info, DR Ben.   Sad!

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 06:16:31 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  SW Ohio is having some glorious Michigan-like summer weather - cool nights, low humidity.  Hope it holds for Rob and Mary Linda's move this weekend.

I'm going to do some errands in the southern Dayton 'burbs this afternoon and go to my book group at Lisa's tonight.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 06:18:50 AM »

TOD - Mamma Leone's popped into my mind, too!  I went there twice.  First with Mom on my first visit to NYC in 1967 and, 10 years later, for Thanksgiving Dinner with my friend Becky.  Like DR Singdaw, I don't remember much about the food, but I do remember the atmosphere and that there was a lot of red in the decor.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 06:25:02 AM »

We watched THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL last night.

It's the best film I've seen so far this year.
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 06:31:39 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 06:31:56 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  Vibes for DRs Mike, Jeanne, TCB, and Keith!  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And some for Elmore, too.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 06:35:42 AM »

TOD:

I went to Italy with friends a few years ago who wanted to share a place that had a full kitchen so we could go to the market, but fresh foods and cook them ourselves. One day, it rained and the three of us men in the group ended up at the restaurant next door for lunch. I had the most incredible lasagna I'll ever eat in my entire life. It was seven layers of pasta with fresh slivers of sauteed porcini mushrooms between each layer and the whole thing was no great than 3/4 of an inch thick. Smothered in butter. Beautiful.

I was ready to abandon cooking right then and there and just eat that food for the rest of the trip. We only got back there two more times, but the food on each visit was as close to Italian perfection as I shall likely ever taste. 
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 06:50:28 AM »

Mama Leone's actually had more than one location. IIRC when I moved here they were on 48th Street in the Theatre District (maybe Fred has a better memory of it) but when they opened in 1906 they were on 34th Street. The 48th Street building was sold in 1987. They closed for a time and then moved into the Milford Plaza. They were there until they closed. I can't find a specific closing date but I know it's been closed for a long time. It was a very popular place but, especially at the end, many people said the food was mediocre at best. I remember going in the late 80s when a friend was in town. The portions were large but it was just standard big kitchen Italian food, not very good, not very bad.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:53:22 AM by Ben »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up