Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SARNO'S  (Read 4997 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: SARNO'S
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2014, 02:29:45 PM »

Still waiting for my chair, though.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2014, 02:32:44 PM »

I'm desperate for more sleep, so I shall try to nap. I picked up a new David Liss novel the other evening and have that to soothe my jangled nerves. Not enough sleep + stress = useless. There's nothing that can't wait a bit.

I have not read any Liss books.  I put a hold on his first one, "A Conspiracy of Paper".

I suppose the good news is that he arrived on time and the sink drained after plugging up.  It is a shame the disposal isn't working correctly and the plummer isn't very good.  I agree this isn't worth fighting for, save it for something more serious.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »

The 'Harvey Wallbanger' (a cocktail made with vodka, Galliano, and orange juice) was purportedly named for a Manhattan Beach surfer who was a regular patron of Duke's 'Blackwatch' Bar on Sunset Boulevard during the 1950's.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2014, 02:44:23 PM »

Still waiting for my chair, though.....

Many people don't know that Sondheim's original draft of the Follies song was "Waiting Around for the Chair Next Door..."     
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jane

« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »

Alfredo's of Rome had a restaurant in Philadelphia and, as one would expect, had the best fettuccine Alfredo.

Almost everywhere we ate in Italy, except in Venice, had incredible food.  The best pizza was a four cheese pizza in Pisa.

I'm sorry I don't remember and have not been able to find the name of the restaurant in Florence that provided, even for Italy, an exceptional meal.  The highlight was their Ribollita soup.  If you ever go to Tuscany be sure to find and order this soup.

KevinH

« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2014, 03:24:50 PM »

Sorry to hear about Elaine Stritch.   Funny---I was at the supermarket over the weekend and noticed Bay's English muffins for the first time.  I remembered that Elaine talked about her husband being from the family that made the muffins and thought I'd try them. 

KevinH

« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2014, 03:25:57 PM »

Enjoyed reading about Jason, BK!

KevinH

« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2014, 03:26:21 PM »

TOD:  One of my favorites is Carmine's in NYC.

Ginny

« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »

Thursday morning greetings!  SW Ohio is having some glorious Michigan-like summer weather - cool nights, low humidity. 

I literally choked while reading this.  Low humidity is not how I remember Michigan summers.

Compared to southern Ohio, the humidity in Michigan (or northern Ohio, for that matter) is quite low.

It's all relative, DR Jane!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2014, 03:43:48 PM »

I admit Michigan wasn't as bad as Pennsylvania or New Jersey which were the worst states we lived in, but boy I don't remember "cool" and there were plenty of miserable days.  It was still nice to go to LA in July.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2014, 03:46:27 PM »

Enjoyed reading about Jason, BK!

So did I.

Ginny

« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2014, 03:52:36 PM »

Off to book group.  We're having a mystery roundtable tonight and I'm interested to hear the others' choices.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2014, 04:00:03 PM »

Hi DRs

Long-lost Dan M is here.  Thank you to all who sent good wishes and positive vibes, especially Vixmom.  I've been battling depression and on top of that I had some computer problems.  Everything has been going wrong for me, and since I am a "glass half empty" type of person, my natural inclination was to get very panicky about everything.

It's just been in the last 2-3 days that I've been feeling better psyche-wise, and have finally been able to get back to this here Discussion Board.
Aunt Esther: I have the spirit of Christmas . . .
Fred Sanford: . . . and the face of Halloween!

A house divided by itself, falls down.
-- Edith Baines Bunker

Jane

« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2014, 04:09:50 PM »

I need to figure out why Facebook is suddenly sending me an email for every notification.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2014, 04:11:03 PM »

DR Dan is is very good to see you here.  I am extremely glad you are feeling well enough to say hello.

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2014, 04:24:01 PM »

I'm sorry I was "away" for so long.  As with everything, including this discussion board, I feel that I'm missing out on lots of things.  Sometimes I get "stir crazy".  I am in a sense apartment-bound since I do not own a car.

-- Edith Baines Bunker

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2014, 04:25:43 PM »

HUZZAH!!!!   Sure glad to know that you are OK, DR Dan M!!!!!  It is so good to see you back here.

As for the other stuff - hang around; we'll try to cheer you up.

:)

Jane

« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2014, 04:32:45 PM »

DR Dan can you get out for walks?  Do you have a friend who takes you to the market or for essentials?

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2014, 04:39:38 PM »

I can walk, but it's way too hot for me.  Ever since the chemo, I've taken on a sensitivity to "too cold" or "too hot".  I'm also dealing with a protruding abdominal hernia which is kind of having a pregnancy.  I feel awful some days because I feel "fat" and many clothes no longer fit.  I'm barely getting by financially, so new clothes are not in my current budget.  I would love to have the hernia repaired, but I'm still unable to get any help for insurance payments.  Everything is just so expensive now for me.  After all bills, rent and groceries are paid in a given month, I have just around $100 (sometimes more, sometimes less) in discretionary funds, which doesn't leave too much discretionary fun unfortunately.

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Jane

« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2014, 04:47:05 PM »

Am I the only one finding HHW slow today?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2014, 04:47:07 PM »

Hi DRs

Long-lost Dan M is here.  Thank you to all who sent good wishes and positive vibes, especially Vixmom.  I've been battling depression and on top of that I had some computer problems.  Everything has been going wrong for me, and since I am a "glass half empty" type of person, my natural inclination was to get very panicky about everything.

It's just been in the last 2-3 days that I've been feeling better psyche-wise, and have finally been able to get back to this here Discussion Board.

Great to see you are back with us!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2014, 04:48:14 PM »

I feared walking would be too difficult, a shame about the temperature sensitivities as exercise would help your depression and it is free. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:49:45 PM by Jane »

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »

DR Dan can you get out for walks?  Do you have a friend who takes you to the market or for essentials?

Yes, I have a friend, but she's getting early senility or something, so I don't like to bother her that much.  While it's no substitute for shopping in an actual supermarket, I have been using the Safeway grocery delivery service lately.  For the most part they do a decent job, except last week all of my spaghetti sauce jars broke and nearly half of my grocery order was covered.  The other half was sticky from a soda can that apparently popped.  I did get a refund on some items.  Safeway is very good about that sort of thing, I must say (to borrow Ed Grimley's favorite expression).

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2014, 04:58:26 PM »

Great to see you are back with us!

Thanks DR elmore!  I was thinking of you when I stumbled across the website CastAlbums.org and saw some of your discography.

Why I wound up on that site is interesting.  A friend of mine sent me a bootleg of the 40th anniversary of WPIX (Channel 11 in NYC) which mentioned Eddie Lawrence, the "Old Philosopher", who I totally forgot about.

I read some online entries about him, and found out he co-wrote a show called "Kelly" with Moose Charlap, and which yielded a song that Mr. Sondheim wishes he had written.

I looked up "Kelly" and found CastAlbums.org to be a good reference.

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Jane

« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2014, 05:18:26 PM »

We live too far from town to even get pizza delivered.  That's great you get your groceries delivered.

KevinH

« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2014, 05:47:45 PM »

Glad to have you back, DR Dan M!

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2014, 05:48:56 PM »

HUZZAH!!!!   Sure glad to know that you are OK, DR Dan M!!!!!  It is so good to see you back here.

As for the other stuff - hang around; we'll try to cheer you up.

:)

DR singdaw, I appreciate that very, very much!

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2014, 05:50:12 PM »

Glad to have you back, DR Dan M!

Thanks DR KevinH! :)

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Laura

« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2014, 05:50:16 PM »

Good evening.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Laura

« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2014, 05:50:30 PM »

And welcome home, Dan M. We missed you.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up