Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SECOND PICK-UP SESSION  (Read 9398 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE SECOND PICK-UP SESSION
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 06:33:23 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 06:33:58 AM »

Off to the Hill Country in a few to sample and talk about rose'. Always love this event.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 06:36:42 AM »

George is my fellow "At Long Last Love" fan on this site, and several years ago, he sent me a CD copy of the soundtrack that he'd made that included two songs not featured on the vinyl, "Down in the Depths" and "Tomorrow." I can't tell you how pleased I was to have that soundtrack back in my regular rotation.

Thank you again, George.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I've never seen AT LONG LAST LOVE.
You can dream…or you can do.

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 06:37:13 AM »

I don't have any of the history with At Long Last Love that DRs George and John G. do, or even the intimate knowledge of Cole Porter that we all should strive for, but as I watched the Blu-ray I found myself truly enjoying it.

There's no question that much of that enjoyment was for its cult qualities, which are unavoidable.  But I found it great fun and -- now that you mention it, there are some people I need to introduce to it.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 06:41:10 AM »

Granted, some of these less than stellar movies are "campy" and fun to watch (e.g. RETURN OF DR. X with Humphrey Bogart), but so many of them are just plain terrible.
You can dream…or you can do.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2014, 06:44:39 AM »

"campy" and fun to watch

Like The Abominable Dr. Phibes and Dr. Phibes Rides Again!          :)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2014, 06:46:19 AM »

Why do people on this site, including BK, even watch these movies? 

I have oft wondered this, too. (No offense intended, either).

I mean, there are so many GOOD movies that I haven't seen.         :-\
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2014, 07:03:30 AM »

Recording vibes for MR BK & Co.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2014, 07:04:11 AM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2014, 07:08:34 AM »

I think that the movies that people LOVE, the bad ones and the good ones, really says more about the person than the movie itself.

As mentioned, it could be life circumstances when it was first viewed (how else do you explain The Goonies and Stand By Me), or a performance that was astonishing or unexpected.

Some people who will never make movies also like to feel superior to someone who at least got something (no matter how awful) on film.....this is a terrible trend that was fed by shows like MST3K, so that people with even LESS talent felt comfortable downgrading movies that had the nerve to exist.

And finally the "what were they thinking" movies that continue to astound for their ineptness...PLAN 9 is in this group.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2014, 07:09:51 AM »

That looks like a fun game DR SINGDAW

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2014, 07:12:27 AM »

I avoided SOMEWHERE IN TIME like the plague for decades.....and then I watched it.

Give in to the madness.....it's a nifty movie with a nice story.....not exactly like TIME AFTER TIME, there is no violence.....but the time travel story and love story complement each other very well....and Christopher Reeve is very handsome to look at.

ChasSmith

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2014, 07:17:40 AM »

Recording vibes for MR BK & Co.

Yes indeed -- many, many VIBES that the recording gets completed the way you want it!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2014, 07:18:29 AM »

And finally the "what were they thinking" movies that continue to astound for their ineptness...PLAN 9 is in this group.

This brings to mind one of my favorite pieces of criticism, from the opening paragraph in Frank Rich's New York Times review of the musical Marlowe (published October 13, 1981):

WHEN everything goes right in a musical, the audience feels a rush of exhilaration that is the quintessence of Broadway. And what happens when everything goes wrong? Well, when everything goes wrong, another kind of giddiness sets in - that same slaphappy feeling that comes when Laurel and Hardy send a grand piano crashing down a flight of stairs.

The full review is here:
http://www.nytimes.com/1981/10/13/theater/theater-marlowe-a-rock-musical.html

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2014, 07:19:52 AM »

Yes indeed -- many, many VIBES that the recording gets completed the way you want it!

And that the machinations of a few bad apples don't threaten to blow the whole thing up.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2014, 07:27:46 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept far too late and missed my time window for Toyland today, so I'll go tomorrow, work on JUBILEE and schlep home some more of my belongings.

This is a scary weekend for me: several commitments and no money. I will see no more money until the 20th when i receive my social security, and that seems dreadfully far away once I consider that I have a cell phone bill and my monthly meds to pay for before then.

The ghosts were quiet last night, but I lay in bed far too long pondering and fretting over finances and the very few options I currently have. Things will change. They have before.  Last year from August 4, 2013, to last week was perhaps my worst year ever, and I survived it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2014, 07:31:04 AM »

I think I'm one of the few people who have yet to see Somewhere in Time.  I didn't even know it was considered a cult film until one day several years ago at the Saturday Morning Classics or something at the Lafayette Theatre, they had it "coming soon", and I was told by Peter the projectionist or someone that if I come to see it, to expect a very weird crowd!  I didn't then, but I'll get around to this one eventually.

I saw this film in 1980, right after I had finished reading Jack Finney's fantastic novel Time And Again, which was published five years earlier than Matheson's Bid Time Return, and I thought both the novel and film Somewhere In Time were nowhere nearly as good as Finney's interesting mystery.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:37:01 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2014, 07:31:19 AM »

It's Saturday.  And I slept in.  Oh joy!
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2014, 07:57:46 AM »

Continued survival vibes for DR ELMORE......

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2014, 08:35:16 AM »

I'm up - had I been able to fall asleep when I went to bed I would have gotten eight hours but alas it took two hours to fall asleep.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2014, 08:48:47 AM »

Many thanks to you, sir!

I have been lstening this morning to my first commercial recording from 1984, 37 songs about New York City.  It was my first job with John McGlinn, and many of the folk on the recording personnel became lifelong friends: producer Judy Sherman, Kim Criswell, Judy Kaye, Debbie Gravitte, Meg Bussert, David Garrison, Karla Burns, Cris Groenendaal, and Steve Ross. I still miss the late Paula Lawrence, Russell Warner, and Joel Imbody.

I love Ann Morrison on the recording, and she's one person I never got to meet at the sessions. Producer Joe Papp was one i was looking forward to meeting since I did his song's orchestration, but the man was a complete jerk.

So, i just downloaded the recording to Dropbox, and if anyone would like it, let me know.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 09:43:16 AM by elmore3003 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2014, 08:58:56 AM »

I shall shortly be on my way to the recording studio to record.  If you only knew the endless drama with this album, including a late-night telephonic call last night - I've about had it.  All has to do with all this refereeing I've been doing because of some bad blood between the musical director and one of the actors.  Their new suggestion had me reeling, but fortunately once the album was recorded all decisions about the album itself are mine, not theirs.  That was originally a big sticking point in my contract, but the copyright of the album is Kritzerland's, which means we own it lock, stock and barrel.  They had the right to give me comments on the mix, which I could either address or not as I thought - Mr. Kander has that same right with the same result - I can address or not - all mix decisions are mine to make and therefore I will give them the courtesy of seeing if part of what they want can be achieved but not all of what they want, and even then I'm not sure if the ill will it will create will taint the album for many, so that decision, too, in the end, will be what I feel is best. 

ChasSmith

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2014, 09:03:15 AM »

Amazing and incredible.

ChasSmith

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2014, 09:09:55 AM »

Would love to be enlightened by hearing some of that dirt if it's something that can be shared someday.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2014, 09:13:39 AM »

Here's what we saw this morning from our bedroom!

Michael

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2014, 09:21:17 AM »

Many thanks to you, sir!

I have been lstening this morning to my first commercial recording from 1984, 37 songs about New York City.  It was my first job with John McGlinn, and many of the folk on the recording personnel became lifelong friends: producer Judy Sherman, Kim Criswell, Judy Kaye, Debbie Gravitte, Meg Bussert, David Garrison, Karla Burns, Cris Groenendaal, and Steve Ross. I still miss the late Paula Lawrence and Joel Imbody.

I love Ann Morrison on the recording, and she's one person I never got to meet at the sessions. Producer Joe Papp was one i was looking forward to meeting since I did his song's orchestration, but the man was a complete jerk.

So, i just downloaded the recording to Dropbox, and if anyone would like it, let me know.

Great album. Highly recommend it!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2014, 09:24:27 AM »

"campy" and fun to watch

Like The Abominable Dr. Phibes and Dr. Phibes Rides Again!          :)

It actually Dr. Phibes Rises Again. But I like your title better.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 09:26:02 AM by Mike »
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2014, 09:35:34 AM »

From DR TCB:
Except that was the cruise that unofficially had the Norovirus.  Half the passengers and crew were sick for all or part of the two week cruise.  Two of the three dining rooms were closed  for the first week; so you just showed up for dinner and waited in line until they had an opening at one of the tables.  The ship was dirty because they didn't have enough staff to keep it cleaned . and you tried to stay away from close quarters with people.  Not a great cruise.

I suppose trips like this are the reason the cruises now take extremely annoying precautions to stop the spread of the virus.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2014, 09:37:17 AM »

From DR Cilla:
But it feels fabulous to be on my own again.  I really feel free

:) :) :)

Jane

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2014, 09:40:27 AM »

From DR George:
There were mixed reviews between the three of us.  Marsha and Margo really liked it, although Marsha liked it more than Margo.  I thought that the acting was pretty good (although the lead, Chadwick Boseman as James Brown), mumbled so much that I couldn't understand him.  He was loud enough, he just didn't enunciate very much.  I assumed that that was the way James Brown really spoke, but I don't know.

Thanks for the review.  I will definitely wait to watch at home where I can use subtitles. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up