Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SECOND PICK-UP SESSION  (Read 9397 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SECOND PICK-UP SESSION
« on: August 09, 2014, 12:03:40 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were a session in themselves and needed a pick-up, and now it is time for you to post until the picked up cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE SECOND PICK-UP SESSION
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 12:04:18 AM »

And the word of the day is: APOPHASIS!

Jennifer

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 03:52:51 AM »

For the first time ever I am the post after BK!!  Woohoo!

Jennifer

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 03:53:30 AM »

I am up early to go to the sectionals swim meet for my niece

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 04:15:29 AM »

~ ~ ~ MEET VIBES ~ ~ ~ for the niece of DR Jennifer!!!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 04:16:12 AM »

~ ~ ~ RECORDING VIBES ~ ~ ~ for bk and crew!!!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 04:16:48 AM »

Laura

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 04:30:01 AM »

Good morning.
"The last time those pirates were here, they stole our honey, and we had to eat unsweetened yogurt for a week!"
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 05:01:38 AM by Druxy »
You can dream…or you can do.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 05:16:11 AM »

good morning

i thought today was Sunday. It's` amazing what pain killers do to you. I like that reduce the pan, but not that they make you tired and loopy and put you in REM sleep just before you wake up.
Never stop dreaming.

KevinH

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 05:17:37 AM »

Good morning!

FJL

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 05:18:29 AM »

Success vibes for Jennifer's niece!!!

Michael

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 05:18:58 AM »

believe or not there is channel in canada

Never stop dreaming.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 05:23:36 AM »

TOD:

That's an excellent question.  I've also wondered why terrible movies become cult favorites.

This next statement is not meant to be a "put down" to anybody on this site.  It's meant to be a serious question.

Why do people on this site, including BK, even watch these movies? 

Certainly you know going in that they are crap, but you still watch them.  As my wife and I say after we watch a bad movie (one that we didn't know was bad): "That's 2 hours of our lives that we will never get back."

I'm not talking about films of our youth that hold a certain nostalgia.  Indeed, I still, from time to time, enjoy watching THEM, THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, but in their day they were quality movies of the genre...and they are still enjoyable to watch.  On the other hand, a film like ROBOT MONSTER was terrible back then and is unwatchable today. 

With regard to PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, which I watched on television one night at about one in the morning, had me laughing out loud because it was so inept...but I wouldn't want to see it again.

So, I guess I'm not the best one to answer this original question, but I would definitely like to hear from those of you who do enjoy watching and re-watching movies that you know are crap.

Again, no offense is intended.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 05:35:59 AM »

TOD

This mine. It just a  simple well told story with a great score by John Barry and a love theme that they eventually add lyrics to.

A cult has grown up around this it. It has its own website ]http://www.somewhereintime.tv] created by INSITE: International Network of Somewhere In Time Enthusiasts. An annual Somewhere in Time Weekend at Grand Hotel, Mackinac Island, MI each October, since 1991.
Never stop dreaming.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 05:41:01 AM »

TOD

This mine. It just a  simple well told story with a great score by John Barry and a love theme that they eventually add lyrics to.

A cult has grown up around this it. It has its own website ]http://www.somewhereintime.tv] created by INSITE: International Network of Somewhere In Time Enthusiasts. An annual Somewhere in Time Weekend at Grand Hotel, Mackinac Island, MI each October, since 1991.

Love this movie.  It was written by my late friend, Richard Matheson.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 05:42:13 AM »

TOD

Love this movie.  It was written by my late friend, Richard Matheson.

He even appears in the movie.
Never stop dreaming.

ChasSmith

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 06:00:28 AM »

Good morning, all.

Coffee!

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 06:09:23 AM »

I think I'm one of the few people who have yet to see Somewhere in Time.  I didn't even know it was considered a cult film until one day several years ago at the Saturday Morning Classics or something at the Lafayette Theatre, they had it "coming soon", and I was told by Peter the projectionist or someone that if I come to see it, to expect a very weird crowd!  I didn't then, but I'll get around to this one eventually.

FJL

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 06:14:55 AM »

There was an item in Playbill last week about the musical version of SOMEWHERE IN TIME:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/194060-Broadway-Aimed-Somewhere-in-Time-Tests-Wings-in-NYC-Andrew-Samonsky-and-Mara-Davi-Star

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 06:20:12 AM »

~ ~ ~ MEET VIBES ~ ~ ~ for the niece of DR Jennifer!!!

It is meet to wish meet vibes for Jennifer's niece.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 06:20:35 AM »

I think I'm one of the few people who have yet to see Somewhere in Time.  I didn't even know it was considered a cult film until one day several years ago at the Saturday Morning Classics or something at the Lafayette Theatre, they had it "coming soon", and I was told by Peter the projectionist or someone that if I come to see it, to expect a very weird crowd!  I didn't then, but I'll get around to this one eventually.

I haven't seen it yet.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 06:21:41 AM »

It is meet to wish meet vibes for Jennifer's niece.

As we are wont to do.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 06:23:13 AM »

This is me singing the role of Figaro a few years back.

I have no recollection why it was decided to dye my hair black.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 06:25:29 AM »

That was a real moustache, though.

John G.

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 06:26:17 AM »

TOD:

That's an excellent question.  I've also wondered why terrible movies become cult favorites.

This next statement is not meant to be a "put down" to anybody on this site.  It's meant to be a serious question.

Why do people on this site, including BK, even watch these movies? 

Certainly you know going in that they are crap, but you still watch them.  As my wife and I say after we watch a bad movie (one that we didn't know was bad): "That's 2 hours of our lives that we will never get back."

I'm not talking about films of our youth that hold a certain nostalgia.  Indeed, I still, from time to time, enjoy watching THEM, THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, but in their day they were quality movies of the genre...and they are still enjoyable to watch.  On the other hand, a film like ROBOT MONSTER was terrible back then and is unwatchable today. 

With regard to PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, which I watched on television one night at about one in the morning, had me laughing out loud because it was so inept...but I wouldn't want to see it again.

So, I guess I'm not the best one to answer this original question, but I would definitely like to hear from those of you who do enjoy watching and re-watching movies that you know are crap.

Again, no offense is intended.

I think nostalgia certainly plays a role. We saw some of these movies when we were young and enjoyed them to whatever degree.

I'm a fan of At Long Last Love, which I know should have no defenders. I came to the movie from the soundtrack. It was my real first exposure to Cole Porter and I loved every word and note I heard on that double album set, and studied Porter the way some people study alegebra. And I played those records until I wore my first set out. I didn't see the movie until years later and while I don't find it the greatest cinematic experience, I defend that movie. It opened a world to me.

And I think that's why people cotton on to some of these other horrors. It was their first ... Or they were going through xyz at that moment in their lives. Or it touched something. 

Who knows what we're going to react to.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 06:26:27 AM »

And speaking of cult films, Jaws certainly isn't one for most people, but it is practically of cult status for one friend of mine who's always ready to attend any particularly interesting or unique screening of it -- so it just happens that, this very evening, I will be accompanying her to the beautiful Warner Theatre (the one I posted of last week, where I play the occasional musical) for a one-time showing which is their kickoff to "Shark Week".

As part of their ongoing restoration, they replaced the long-gone 35mm (maybe even 70mm) projectors with a quality digital setup so they could show a film now and then.  It's mostly the usual stuff -- Wizard of Oz, It's a Wonderful Life -- that will bring in the families.  I haven't yet seen how well they do with it, so I'll be finding out this evening.  I'm hoping for the best, as it would be a fine thing to see a hugely popular Panavision film properly projected on what is hopefully a huge screen in such a grand space as that.  And with an audience.

Edit:  I treasure my memories of its opening week at the Pix.  Another great time was at Radio City Music Hall, ca 1997.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 06:43:53 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 06:29:21 AM »

I think nostalgia certainly plays a role. We saw some of these movies when we were young and enjoyed them to whatever degree.

And I think that's why people cotton on to some of these other horrors. It was their first ... Or they were going through xyz at that moment in their lives. Or it touched something. 

Who knows what we're going to react to.

I think that addresses the TOD pretty damned well.

John G.

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 06:29:28 AM »

George is my fellow "At Long Last Love" fan on this site, and several years ago, he sent me a CD copy of the soundtrack that he'd made that included two songs not featured on the vinyl, "Down in the Depths" and "Tomorrow." I can't tell you how pleased I was to have that soundtrack back in my regular rotation.

Thank you again, George.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 06:33:09 AM »

That was a real moustache, though.

You keep telling yourself that.
― Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up