Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ZAGAT RATING AND THE FRIED EGG  (Read 5767 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE ZAGAT RATING AND THE FRIED EGG
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 09:10:17 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 09:34:15 AM »

The only egg-on-hamburger I've ever had was the Mighty Brunchburger (am I remembering that name correctly?) at the Hamburger Hamlet, and I probably only had a few of them even then, in the '70s.

It's a messy affair, unless you cook the egg enough that it runneth not over everything as soon as you lift the burger to your face and take the first bite.  And if you cook it that much, you're kind of defeating the purpose, because it's the egg white AND soft yolk combining with a good quality ground beef that result in an incredible burst of flavor.  So ... yes, I liked it, but it was such a pain in the ass to eat that I only had it again a couple of times.

I just realized that I'd get some of that flavor enjoyment in later years by occasionally ordering a hamburger patty, instead of bacon or sausage, with my eggs at L.A. coffee shops.  Actually, I probably had it at the Hamlet in those early days.  That's a combination I mostly remember from California.  You could probably get the eggs "with patty" at a typical northeastern diner, or maybe even a Denny's, but I don't think I've seen it on any menus.  But that way, you're eating it on a plate, with a fork, without the bun and other burger toppings that help to explode the damned thing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 09:35:21 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - I do believe I got eight hours of sleep.

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 09:43:49 AM »

Re ALL THAT JAZZ -- I do recall having a similar feeling as BK about the sort of endless finale.  And I don't think anyone ever agreed with me on this, but the Merman "tag" always seemed like one thing too many.  Though now that I think about it, maybe it was the editing or timing that I thought was just the slightest bit off, and would have played fine with some extra breathing room.  Or something.  Well, we'll see what I think upon savoring the Criterion.  I'm sure all will be fine.  A great, great, GREAT film.

John G.

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 10:22:56 AM »

Burgers with eggs on them are called dirty burgers here. I love em.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2014, 10:26:37 AM »

Saw All That Jazz back in high school. May have been the first R- rated movie I snuck into (or was it Bergman's Face to Face). I didn't see it again until a year or two ago and found it as vivid as if I had just seen it. Foldi is exceptional, Scheider never better and Lange appropriately creepy. Looking forward to the Criterion version.
― Voltaire

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »

And the word of the day is: FLEER!

And The Song Of The Day Is: LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2014, 10:47:37 AM »

And the word of the day is: FLEER!

DUBBLE BUBBLE
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:53:58 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2014, 11:18:30 AM »

I do, however, love a fried egg (over medium) as a topping on a burger...or on top of pancakes or breakfast type potatos.

Try one on a pizza sometime.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2014, 11:43:50 AM »

Wednesday afternoon greetings!  I was up and out early (for me) to have coffee with Suzy, the AAUW member who publishes our program book/directory and our monthly newsletter.  She is all set to proceed on both while I'm away - just hope I can find Wi-Fi when I need it to proof the PDFs she'll send.

Then I went shopping for some trip this 'n' that and finally came home for lunch and to cool off - it was 88o and very muggy  :P
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2014, 11:45:03 AM »

For several years the Australia food booth at Middfest sold an "Aussie-burger,"  with a fried egg on top.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2014, 11:52:59 AM »

I have never had an egg on my burger.....I am not sure how I feel about this delicacy.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2014, 11:55:57 AM »

Where do you put your vermouth
If you live in the south?
Does anyone know?
Does it go In your mouth?
Or is that de trop?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2014, 12:14:17 PM »

I have never had an egg on my burger.....I am not sure how I feel about this delicacy.

Give me cheddar or Swiss. No egg.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2014, 12:15:15 PM »

So, Larry, do you have Internet and Television? I've heard that Tiime-Warner has a massive outage affecting most of New York and lots of California.

Cillaliz

« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2014, 12:16:03 PM »

Re ALL THAT JAZZ -- I do recall having a similar feeling as BK about the sort of endless finale.  And I don't think anyone ever agreed with me on this, but the Merman "tag" always seemed like one thing too many.  Though now that I think about it, maybe it was the editing or timing that I thought was just the slightest bit off, and would have played fine with some extra breathing room.  Or something.  Well, we'll see what I think upon savoring the Criterion.  I'm sure all will be fine.  A great, great, GREAT film.

I thought the finale of All That Jazz was just a take off on the Finale of Pippin which also goes on pretty long..... haven't seen All That Jazz in a long time so I don't remember if it seems like it was too long to me or not

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2014, 12:16:30 PM »

I just got an interesting and flattering email from a 30 year-old British composer-arranger living in Colchester, Essex, asking me to be his mentor.  So, i sent him back an email asking if he had the right Larry Moore.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2014, 12:17:46 PM »

Made it through my last two hearings for the week.  So far this week 5 hearings, 2 interviews and 1 appointment, phew!  One more appointment today then I get all day tomorrow to work before my interview on Friday
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:19:42 PM by Cillaliz »

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2014, 12:18:23 PM »

So, Larry, do you have Internet and Television? I've heard that Tiime-Warner has a massive outage affecting most of New York and lots of California.

For a time this morning, between 6:30 and 7:15 or so. I called Yime-Warner and got a message saying essentially "Forget it; we cannot help you."  It's been fine since I got home.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »

asking me to be his mentor

Your response would, I suppose, depend upon which subject.       ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:22:43 PM by singdaw »
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2014, 12:51:19 PM »

Vibes for Vixdad and Vixgranddad!!!

Jane

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2014, 12:54:11 PM »

Thanks again to everyone for the wonderful wishes yesterday.  They are much appreciated.....and now I will find out if they still need me if they will feed me....when I am....this age.

:)

Jane

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2014, 12:56:03 PM »

It sounds disgusting to me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2014, 12:56:24 PM »

Bruce-- give Five Guys Burgers a shot sometime.  Their burgers are simple and good, and their fries are aces.  I'm not saying they're the absolute best burgers anywhere, but they're darned good.

I've been to the new(ish) local Five Guys Burgers only once.  I'll try them again, but they're on the west side of Olympia, and to go there just for lunch would take too long.  I'll try for a dinner again, sometime...soon, I'm sure.  Since it's been a topic today, I'm kind of in the mood.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2014, 12:56:50 PM »

I just got an interesting and flattering email from a 30 year-old British composer-arranger living in Colchester, Essex, asking me to be his mentor.  So, i sent him back an email asking if he had the right Larry Moore.

LOL   This is very nice and something you are good at.

Jane

George

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2014, 12:57:44 PM »

I'll have an order of adorable toast, please...

Oh, my goodness!  That is adorable! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »

This is made out of cut paper. I'd never have a steady enough hand - or the patience:

And that's incredible!

George

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2014, 12:59:59 PM »

Sandy Wilson has died. That's so sad.

I think I will listen to The Boy Friend and wish him a speedy voyage.

I had no idea that he was still alive.  I love both The Boy Friend and Divorce Me, Darling!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up