Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ANTIQUATED EQUIPMENT  (Read 13304 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:ANTIQUATED EQUIPMENT
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2004, 09:44:10 AM »

Page 2...still thinking about the NutraSweet thing. :(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2004, 10:03:45 AM »

I will let you all know about my new equipment.  It promises to do a lot of things my old equipment couldn't do.  That's the problem with old equipment, it just can't keep up with the new equipment sometimes.  Then again, sometimes old equipment is classic and new equipment can hold a candle to it.  

She of the Evil Eye is here but I shall be with here all the livelong day.  She's doing all the kitchen unboxing - very helpful.

Ben

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2004, 10:05:54 AM »

I found listening material at lunch. I am now hearing Dorothy Loudon's CD, Saloon. Very nice.

George

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2004, 10:23:53 AM »

DR George: Thats terrible!   Since the CD is new, is there a way you could exchange it?  
I love Nina Hagen's pop recordings.   I imagine she is doing the Lotte Lenya role (Pirate Jenny).  How does Hagen do Weill?

I got it from eBay.  I don't think the seller would take it back after I cracked it.  I have to admit that I wasn't too gentle when I tried to take it out.  I just didn't realize that it was stuck in that firmly. :-\

As for Nina Hagen...let's just say that she has a very unusual voice, and a very distinct technique.  She doesn't produce a consistent sound...the quality of her voice changes frequently.  It'll take some getting used to.  I don't think I'd ever heard any of her recordings before, and I don't know if I want to hear any after this. ::)

Overall, I do like it a lot.  I especially like that it's in German, since that was the original language.  Not that I understand German at all, but it's interesting to hear the actual words that Bertolt Brecht wrote, and not some approximation for the purpose of singing.  It does have a translation that's very different than the Marc Blitzstein version:

Oh, the shark's teeth, you can see them
Always ready to attack;
But you don't see Mackie's knife blade
Till you feel it in your back.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2004, 10:28:58 AM »

All righty then.

Lovely pics from DRFrancois yesterday!  

I love Union Station in DC!  Yes lots of food courts....and right across the street from the ramp on the left side is where the national office of my FORMER employer is....Bureau of Labor Statistics!!  

I may post a photo later if I can find it!  I love Union Station in DC!

The move seems to have gone smoothly.  DRPANNI has a "new" tv - I love falling heir to electronic equipment!  Of course I keep all the books etc, so when I give anything away it comes with INSTRUCTIONS!!!

DVD Player - Titanic, the German 1943 version, interesting.
CD Player - OLIVER! London cast with Jonathan Pryce
VCR - Thunder Alley with Miss Annette Funicello!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2004, 10:37:58 AM »

Well, first things first:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ELVIRA, MISTRESS OF THE DARK!![/move]

A year or two ago, Joe and I saw the divine Elvira (aka Cassandra Peterson) on the Home and Garden Channel, giving a tour of her house.  She is actually a sweet, petite blonde lady, a wife and mother, and you would never identify her as her Persona.

Aspertame:  Thanks, Jose.  This really sent me into a loop of Googling down the facts.  The fascinating part is Donald Rumsfeld's rôle in suddenly reversing the FDA's oppostion to aspertame and the high number of FDA commissioners who were suddenly offered high-paying jobs at Monsanto.

The news is particularly meaningful to me, since my Joe has suffered from the debilitating neuro-muscular disease EMS for the last fifteen years, and it was caused by L-Tryptophan, a "diet suplement", which, like the "food additive" aspertame, requires much less stringent testing and no inspections to be on the market.

And--to totally make my day--Joe has been drinking iced coffee with Equal (actually NatraTaste, since it is cheaper) in it most of the day, every day for about ten years, in large quantity, since some of his medications cause dehydration.  EMS has many symptoms similar to Parkinson's Disease, which has been shown to be aggravated by aspertame.  And Michael J. Fox is the company spokesman for Diet Coke!  Oy!  

Thank you, Donald Rumsfeld.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2004, 10:45:19 AM »

DR Jayrand54, I wondered if you would get that German Titanic movie!

Ben

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2004, 10:47:01 AM »

Looks like Mr. Graae will be moving chairs in Grand Hotel on the left coast.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/88462.html

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2004, 11:19:02 AM »

It is madness, this unboxing.  I've picked up my new equipment.  We're seeing if it will do the trick right this very minute.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2004, 11:46:41 AM »

I just lost everything I intended to post and I must leave to do errands.  Now, if I can remember what I wanted to say  :-\

I might not hit anyone, but I will get lost.  Hopefully I find the bakery in West Village before I get lost.

Speaking of NY, is it best to have the HHW get together for dinner or lunch?  If it's dinner how about Wed. Oct. 6th?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2004, 11:53:03 AM »

I've seen A VERY NATURAL THING. Pretty crude, low-budget filmmaking, but it was a landmark, so I won't be too tough on it. Seeing something like tat and then something like URBANIA shows we've come a long, long way.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2004, 11:54:44 AM »

I  think October 6th is OK with me. I'll check my calendar for sure when I get home. Here's hoping that Mr. Moore will be up and about by then.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2004, 11:55:29 AM »

I've just returned from the first public showing of SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW. Interesting computer generated interiors and exteriors with human actors (including the luscious Jude Law) playing in front of blue screens. Wants to be a new kind of INDIANA JONES-style period adventure, but I found Gwenyth Paltrow annoying (like Kate Capshaw in TEMPLE OF DOOM, you just want to slap her silly through the entire movie) enough to spoil some of the fun.

The look is rather surreal and takes some getting used to, but it certainly was interesting and worth a trip to the movies.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2004, 11:56:46 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - MY NAME IS BARBRA, TWO

DVD - STAGE FRIGHT to be followed by FOREIGN CORRSPONDENT

DVR - Tuesday's QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY and this afternoon's ONE LIFE TO LIVE.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2004, 12:25:12 PM »

Okay, one of them is the 1973 "Very Natural Thing"  This is one of the movies that I'd wanted to rent for some time, but just had never seen it anywhere...not even to buy, other than on-line.  Now I'll get to see what this very early gay pride movie is about! :D

Well, fair is fair...

The movie that has until now been non-titled was "The Brown Bunny".  It's the latest "epic" from the "Artiste", Vincent Gallo.  Let's just say curiosity killed the cat.

I just had to see what all the "fuss" and amazingly bad reviews were about.  I truly did not come across any positive reviews for the film.  Instead, I came across phrases such as: "I would have rather been hit on the head with a sledge hammer continuously for the duration of this film rather than sitting through it."  Yes, it was/is that bad.  I don't know much about Mr. Gallo, but he, apparently, has his cult devotees.

The film runs about 100 minutes, and I'd guess there is only about 12 minutes of dialogue!  Otherwise, you get to see Mr. Gallo - who wrote, directed, stars in and edited the movie - driving his motorcylce, driving his van, looking pensive, looking bewildered, driving his van while looking bewildered, etc.  And Cheryl Tiegs even has a cameo.  And a wordless one at that.  OH!, and the scene where Mr. Gallo takes his motorcycle to his mechanic to have it tested on the computer is quite exciting... NOT!!!!

The film is technically rated "NR" (No Rating), but the ads do have an "X" logo in them.  It receives the adult rating due to one soon-to-be infamous scene towards the end of the movie involving Mr. Gallo and Chloe Sevigny.  -Ah, Chloe, were you that desperate for work?  I've never heard so much giggling in a theatre before.  And it wasn't even nervous giggling.  It was more like, "This is so bad, it's funny" giggling.

Then came the "shocking ending", which, in the hands of an actual film-maker could have been truly shocking.  Instead, it just came off as slightly disturbing and overkill.

But the best moment of the evening for me was when the final credits stared running... There was an audible "What?!?!?" from almost everyone in the theatre - including myself.  "What the heck was that all about?" "What the heck made me want to see this movie?!?!"

Thank you, DR George, for letting me share.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 12:26:34 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2004, 12:25:30 PM »

I’m out the door but quickly want to mention I just received email from elmore.  He said dinner on Oct. 6th is great.

Ben, I hope when you return home you find your calendar is clear for that day.

Michael

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2004, 12:32:33 PM »

Dear BK:

I received in the mail today the press information for The First Nudie Musical (from Paramount). It says Kimmel’s next film will be another musical comedy, “Sailors” which he conceived while on Hollywood Boulevard locations for “The First Nudie Musical” and you are quoted in the notes as saying, “It’s about three guys from the Midwest who’ve been raised on movie musicals. They join the Navy to sing and dance their way around the world and go on three days’ shore leave in Los Angeles.”

Whatever happened to that movie?
Did you ever write any of the songs?
What are your memories of it?
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2004, 12:33:45 PM »

DR Jane:  I know you're on your way out the door... But...

Did you get my e-mail? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2004, 12:37:05 PM »

RE: The Aspartame Lawsuit

I'm sorry if my posting of the news has been a downer for some of the readers of this board.  A friend of mine who is very into the natural health/medicine movement sent me a brief article about the lawsuit, and then I noticed a news blurb about it on another site, so...  I hope I'm not curtailing anyone's Diet drinks consumption. :(
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2004, 01:11:06 PM »

Hmmm...

Where in the heck in tarnation is everyone? ;)

Why you'd almost think it was...  Well, I don't what to think... 8)

-I need to get some food - breakfast, technically - ugh...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2004, 01:12:19 PM »

Bonjour, François!

Comment çava?
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2004, 01:19:24 PM »

RE: The Aspartame Lawsuit

I'm sorry if my posting of the news has been a downer for some of the readers of this board.  A friend of mine who is very into the natural health/medicine movement sent me a brief article about the lawsuit, and then I noticed a news blurb about it on another site, so...  I hope I'm not curtailing anyone's Diet drinks consumption. :(

Well, not yet, anyway.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2004, 01:32:48 PM »

Bonjour, François!

Comment çava?

And Gregory La Cava, too!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2004, 01:32:56 PM »

Ah yes....the FDA....

As those of you DR's familiar with the fate of one Miss Allison Hayes know - but I will repeat it.

She - at the behest of her friend Gloria Swanson - began seeing Dr Henry Bieler with a - hum - female complaint.  Dr Bieler immediately prescribed for her a daily dose of an imported calcium supplement.  She took it for several months.  The original problem was NOT corrected and other symptoms began to appear.  On consulting Dr Bieler, Allison was told that she should increase her dosage of the supplement.

Allison did not drink or smoke.  Her strange symptoms continued to multiply.  She took the supplement regularly by prescription for about four years, then stopped on her own.  The next three years were spent going from doctor to doctor about her symptoms - and mostly being told she was psychotic.

Finally she was doing research on her own and discovered that her symptoms were those of lead poisoning.  She contacted a toxicologist who informed her, after tests, that the calcium supplement she had been taking had contained about a million times MORE lead than was ever used by the human body in MANY lifetimes.  She had been poisoned, and it was not reversible.

Allison campaigned with the FDA but was told that food supplements were a gray area....not a food and not a medicine....and were not under their jurisdiction.  The supplement was still being imported in 1974 and used in many things including baby food.  And Dr Bieler was still prescribing it to his patients.  Allison threatened then dropped a lawsuit against him, but won a lawsuit against the US distributor of the supplement.  

About two months after she died, the FDA agreed to add supplements to their list of substances that needed to be approved....too late for Allison.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 01:33:52 PM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2004, 01:36:09 PM »

She fought the fine fight to make life safer for us.  :'(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2004, 01:37:34 PM »

Thanks to DRFrancois for the link the the MouseShoppe and CD's on demand!

And thanks to DRLaura and DRSandra for the wonderful OLIVER! souvenir book!  It is beautiful!  

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2004, 01:40:49 PM »

Well, Ivan is spreading his wrath around pretty good in these parts. We had a torrential rain this morning around 8 - must have dumped 2-3 inches of rain easily. Then, it cleared up and the sun came out with a mostly blue sky. I thought the worst was over. Then within two more hours, the sun and blue skies were gone and we got more rain. It's been raining off and on all day. Thankfully, no strong winds this afternoon, but there were some howling ones this morning.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2004, 01:41:59 PM »

Got some of the DVR things watched, but no more DVDs yet. No problem. Tonight will offer up some Hitchcock gems.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2004, 01:49:01 PM »

Off to the theatre for Friday evening performance.  Great audience last night, and hopefully the same for tonight!  THE NERD lives.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2004, 01:56:57 PM »

You're very welcome, JRand. I'm glad you like it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up