Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ANTIQUATED EQUIPMENT  (Read 13473 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:ANTIQUATED EQUIPMENT
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2004, 05:41:24 PM »

Mr. Wiring Man is still here, and I must be on my way to the theater shortly, so, he'll have to finish up and then leave me instructions on how to operate my new equipment.  Keep the home fries burning - or not.

Michael

« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2004, 05:46:41 PM »

His name is Herb Graham.  Dunno what happened to him, but he was a very nice guy.

Re Sailors: It was meant to follow up Nudie.  There is a script and a full score, which I have a demo of somewhere.  We just never got it together - it was a funny idea and some of the songs were really cute.  It was going to star Stephen Nathan, me and Alan Abelew, with Diana Canova, Annette O'Toole and a third girl I can't remember.

How come he is in the still and not in the movie?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2004, 05:49:25 PM »

To all DR in Seattle. I am watching the Night Strangler. Does Seattle really have an underground City?
Never stop dreaming.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2004, 06:10:10 PM »

To all DR in Seattle. I am watching the Night Strangler. Does Seattle really have an underground City?

Yup.  Click HERE...and HERE...and HERE...and HERE.  (a NINE reference!)  Hope this helps!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2004, 06:30:20 PM »

Ann Hampton Callaway will be making her Toronto debut next week. From today's Globe and Mail:

If she's not a name you've come across, then her Toronto debut at the Top o' the Senator next week is an ideal introduction. Don't be shy; Callaway herself knows that there will be many in our fair city who will be asking, "Ann who?"

"If people in Toronto know about me, it's because they come to New York, follow that kind of music, or," she prepares her punch line carefully, "are the cultural elite of Toronto."

Jennifer

« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2004, 07:07:58 PM »

OMG, I cannot believe what happened on BB.  I'll wait till tomorrow to discuss it.  But WOW!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2004, 07:39:25 PM »

JRand I will think of you when I’m at the Union Station.  If I’m lucky I won’t have too much time to check out the food court.

Jose you have my attention. :D  Did you receive my email?

Matt H keep us posted on the rain and wind, or lack of it.  At the moment it is raining here.

DerBrucer thanks for the info on Splenda.  

Ben and Noel, 5:00 works for me.  I just sent Larry an email.

Michael Shayne and George, years ago we took the underground city tour.  It was very interesting.

François de Paris

« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2004, 08:01:17 PM »

For those of you who might be interested:

MAME; soundtrack of the film with Lucy (Rhino Records) is not available from Rhino and can be quite expensive at some outlets, including Amazon -- 27 bucks! -

Well.... www.cdconnection.com -- VERY reliable and low shipping rates, I can assure you! -- still has copies for....$ 19.24 while original price from Rhino was $19.98!!!
Ain't that just too too???

Also, for the ones nostalgic about those Disneyland Record Lps and Buena Vista Lps: well, some titles have been remastered and transferred to cds.
Check:

http://www.mouseshoppe.com/directory.cfm?CategoryID=258

I know, a little expensive but that's the only place on the internet -- apart from Ebay -- where one can get those, unless one goes directly to Disneyland, Anaheim, CA to buy them....

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

François de Paris

« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2004, 08:03:39 PM »

OMG, I cannot believe what happened on BB.  I'll wait till tomorrow to discuss it.  But WOW!

Oh mon Dieu ! -- OMG the French way, Canadian or not! :D

Jennifer, I'm not sure I can hold my breath until then! ;)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2004, 08:05:26 PM »

Yes, DR RLP, I did watch MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS and posted about the picture and sound yesterday (I think). I finished the special features which were nice for a film this old. Great to see the producers, Sidney Lumet, and Richard Rodney Bennett in the flesh, all of whom had interesting stories to tell.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2004, 08:08:20 PM »

I also watched STAGE FRIGHT tonight. I was VERY concerned during the opening scenes as the picture was unacceptably grainy and to my eyes almost unwatchable. Hitchcock must have filmed those flashback scenes using filters or processes of some kind (well, process screens are very evident in one shot of Dietrich and Richard Todd in the same shot) because the screen does seem very digital and rough. Afterwards, though, things smooth out and the picture is just to my liking. Haven't watched the "making of" documentary yet on this. Also didn't get to FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT today. That will happen tomorrow.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2004, 08:45:53 PM »

Those are 2 Hitchcocks I've never seen, and I've seen the great majority of his American films (and some of the English ones, too).

I'll say something that I think a lot of people are thinking.  Panni's cheerleading outfit is back from the cleaners.  Previously, she's said she'll post pictures of her in said outfit, along with pom-poms, if there's a low number of posts.

Hence, there's a low number of posts.

I think this is a shameful situation.  And it can only be remedied when Panni posts those pictures.  Hurry!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2004, 09:00:35 PM »

Well, no question that FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT is the real gem here. I'm in the clear minority in liking STAGE FRIGHT. Most Hitchcock fans don't like it all all. I don't think Jane Wyman makes a good heroine; she seems miscast from the get-go, but otherwise, I just like the story and the twists. Marlene Dietrich gets to sing one of her classics, too.

François de Paris

« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2004, 09:52:09 PM »

George

« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2004, 10:01:44 PM »

I'll say something that I think a lot of people are thinking.  Panni's cheerleading outfit is back from the cleaners.  Previously, she's said she'll post pictures of her in said outfit, along with pom-poms, if there's a low number of posts.

Hence, there's a low number of posts.

I think this is a shameful situation.  And it can only be remedied when Panni posts those pictures.  Hurry!

Speaking of cheerleaders...I opened my mailbox when I got home this evening (I went to my parents' house for dinner) and I received a package from Sh-K-Boom Records!!  Two CDs that I had ordered were Bare: A Pop Opera, the demo recording where the songs are not in show order and (the point of my post) Debbie Does Dallas with Sherie Rene Scott!  Here's the picture:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2004, 10:02:26 PM »

How's that for a cheerleading outfit?? :D

George

« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2004, 10:03:04 PM »

If you like that sort of thing... ::)

George

« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2004, 10:05:46 PM »

And going back to Bare:  A Pop Opera for a moment, does anyone know what the show order of the songs is?  I've looked and looked (well, really just looked) and haven't been able to find what order the songs are supposed to be in in the show.  I'm just curious.

George

« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2004, 10:08:42 PM »

I don't suppose that that counts as a "frenzy"...a "fre" maybe, but not a "frenzy."  Anyway, I'm now going to watch "Whose Line Is It Anyway" with Drew Carey and the gang.  But I'll stay logged in and check in every once in a while.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2004, 10:16:22 PM »

I am sort of making a return.

I went to see my shrink today, just a regular maintenance meeting, and he offered to write a scrip for some antibiotics, to help get rid of this chest/head cold.  Danged stuff is working, but it's also made me drowsy, at least this early in the dosage.

Media-watch: Jason Graae is indeed on the soundtrack for Home on the Range.  He and a couple of other fellers do the singing for the Willey Brothers, who are singing back-up to Alameda Slim's yodel number.  You have to watch carefully during the end credits, as he's only listed as one of the singers for the song, and not with the other voice cast.

It's kind of like Lea Solanga taking over the singing parts for Princess Jasmine, in Aladdin, only Jason's much better looking in person.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2004, 10:27:05 PM »

Also with the DVDs, the new two-disc release of Star Trek: Generations.  Far from the best of the Trek flicks, and the one that set up a bad precedent for the films to follow.

I mean, let's go through the list.  Star Trek the Motion Picture, Kirk finishes the film by arguing with a computer.  Wrath of Kahn ends with a space battle.  Search for Spock Kirk dukes it out with the bad guy.  Voyage Home he frees the whales from the ship's hull.  Final Frontier he argues with God.  Undiscovered Country has another space battle.  

Just once does Kirk punch out the villian.

Meanwhile, Generations, Picard goes mano-a-mano with the villian.  First Contact, Picard goes mano-a-bitcho with the villian.  Insurrection has him going mano-a-mano with the villian.  And, yep, Nemesis has Picard going mano-a-mano with the villian.

If super-macho Kirk only had to duke out the villian in ONE picture out of six, why was it necessary for Picard to duke out the villian in ALL FOUR of his films?

But I've got nine of the ten films on DVD now, which makes the collector in me feel happy.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 10:28:24 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2004, 10:29:42 PM »

Car CD player: Wicked.  Der Brucer now wants to add the vocal score to his collection.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2004, 10:30:31 PM »

Going back to bed.

George

« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2004, 10:49:35 PM »

"Who's Line Is It Anyway?" is a very funny show!  That's what I have to say.

George

« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2004, 11:20:43 PM »

For now... ::)

George

« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2004, 11:30:52 PM »

Sad to be all alone in the world.  :'(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2004, 11:38:14 PM »

Well, what can one do?  Two nights in a row.  Good performance, quiet audience, and yet much cheering and hollering at the end of the show.  Makes you wonder.  And two nights in a row here, achieving a new all-time low.  Perhaps this will be the norm from now on or, at the very least, the ed from now on.  I don't understand it, really, but then I guess I don't have to.  I must write the notes now.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2004, 11:42:33 PM »

Back from WHAT IF?

Panni

« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2004, 11:43:06 PM »

But I think it will take 20 posts...

Panni

« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2004, 11:43:34 PM »

...To talk about the show because...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up