Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: KLAATU BARADA NIKTO  (Read 4639 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
KLAATU BARADA NIKTO
« on: November 24, 2014, 12:07:25 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had a little Klaatu barada nikto to them and stood still, and now it is time for you to post until the barada nikto cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: KLAATU BARADA NIKTO
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 12:08:16 AM »

And the word of the day is: FRIGORIFIC!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 12:11:54 AM »

Here's the complete blurb:

Kritzerland is proud to present a new limited edition soundtrack to one of the most iconic science fiction films ever made:

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL

Music Composed by Bernard Herrmann
Conducted by Bernard Herrmann, Alfred Newman and Lionel Newman

To say that the 1951 film The Day the Earth Stood Still is a benchmark of its genre is an understatement. Along with The Thing From Another World, released earlier that same year, The Day the Earth Stood Still ushered in a steady flow of pictures where flying saucers and monsters reflected the Cold War paranoia of the atomic age. But director Robert Wise’s film stands above them all. It’s no surprise that every fantasy filmmaker—including Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, John Carpenter, Peter Jackson, James Cameron and Christopher Nolan—has cited the influence of this picture upon their own.   The film did everything right – from a superb screenplay by Edmund H. North (from a story by Harry Bates), to the beautiful cinematography by Leo Tover, to the stellar cast of Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Hugh Marlowe, Sam Jaffe and Billy Gray (having a cast of great actors playing the reality of the story is what helps ground the film and make it timeless).  The Day the Earth Stood Still, simply put, is a masterpiece and one of the most important science fiction films ever made.

Deserving of equal credit for the film’s uniqueness and success, is, of course, the music score by Bernard Herrmann.  The Day the Earth Stood Still stands among Herrmann’s most memorable achievements (in a career filled with them), and may possibly be his most innovative. At the fore, of course, is the use of the theremin (two, actually, one “high” and one “low,” played by Samuel Hoffmann and Paul Shure).  But that’s not all that makes this score unique – in contrast to Herrmann’s famous strings-only score for Hitchcock’s Psycho, The Day the Earth Stood Still utilizes none—unless one counts the meticulous punctuations of harp, piano (two of them) and cinema’s first use of the electric violin (performed by Felix Slatkin). Also absent are woodwinds, a choice that allows the score’s evocative brass clusters to take center stage. The sound field is further dominated by the versatile resonances of the Wurlitzer pipe organ, offset by percussion instruments sitting in the extreme high and low ends of the frequency spectrum.

The Day the Earth Stood Still was previously available on Arista over twenty years ago.  That edition is obviously long out of print.  A complete version of the score was available briefly as an extra in the laserdisc release of the film, and that version was also included in the multi-disc and very expensive Bernard Herrmann at Fox box on Varese Sarabande – that release sold out instantly.   Given the limited availability of the box, we felt it was very important to make this classic score available again for the fans who missed out on it.   It has been given a new, fresh mastering and sounds absolutely incredible in that wonderful early Fox stereo sound that was as unique as the Herrmann score.  New liner notes by Mike Matessino.

The Day the Earth Stood Still is limited to 1200 copies only and priced at $19.98, plus shipping.   CDs will ship by the first week of January, although our hope is to get it shipped before Christmas.  To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:39:58 AM »

The first post after BK!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 01:25:33 AM »

Sorry for my absence yesterday, but I was trying to complete all the online certification training for my job. I still have a ways to go....

I sincerely regret that I have still not listened to the new Sandy album. There's that plus a lot of other things that just did not get done this weekend.      :-[

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:34:55 AM by singdaw »
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 01:26:02 AM »

Also, I seem to have thrown my lower back out. I am hobbling around like a very old man.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 01:28:32 AM »

Congratulations to DR elmore3003 on his new lofty millstone and (hopefully) reasonable new upstairs neighbor.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 01:28:51 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 01:29:18 AM »

Awful news about DR Kate's house. Glad she and her family are safe; hope the issues can be resolved quickly and without too much inconvenience.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 01:56:48 AM »

Val Kilmer IS Moses.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 02:16:54 AM »

Kate, so sorry to hear about your house, but I'm glad that you and the husband are safe.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 04:04:44 AM »

good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 04:08:53 AM »

Sorry to hear about DR Kate's home situation. But the important thing is that everyone is safe and well.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 04:10:30 AM »

I would love to order The Day The Earth Stood Still, but it isn't up on the sight yet.
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 04:27:26 AM »

G'Morning, Folks!
I like boat races.

ChasSmith

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 05:05:33 AM »

Good morning, all.

It is a day.  I think.

ChasSmith

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 05:44:28 AM »

Will definitely order this CD. 

I had to look to see which one I have.  It's the Fox one, which is the same that came with the laserdisc except for not being "24k gold".  And I never got around to acquiring that particular "signature" box set.

Haven't listened to this or watched the film in several years, so it will be nice to do both.  It should even inspire me to dust off the theremin, review the instructional tapes that came with it, and try playing along a little bit.  But I always say I'm going to do that.  So, we'll see.  We shall see.

ChasSmith

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 05:52:36 AM »

CD ordered!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 05:56:54 AM »

Good morning, all!  I slept quite poorly, and all I now remember is a strange dream involving a midwest theatre dept., moving in or out with bookshelves and books to deal with, a married couple who were into avant-garde performance art, and how glad I was to get out of bed.

I'm going nowhere today except to the bank; it's another work day here.

The bad news about my new neighbor? She has a dog.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 05:57:48 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  Good roof vibes to DR Kate!  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 06:15:41 AM »

I'm up, I've announced and now I'll go back to sleep.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 06:28:10 AM »

Good morning, all.

I'm the only one from my team working at the office today. Should be fairly quiet. Maybe I can get some work done. 
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 06:33:11 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  It is very windy here in SW Ohio today - cold front moving in.  I have an AAUW board meeting tonight, for which I am having trouble getting motivated.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 06:37:41 AM »

TOD: Vangelis' score for Blade Runner is the first to come to mind.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 07:10:49 AM »

DR TCB has your friend taken any cruises that leave from LA or san diego?  He can drive to those ports.

Jane

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 07:12:17 AM »

Bruce if I could I would travel more.

Jane

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 07:13:17 AM »

I wish I was sleeping better and not sick.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 07:18:42 AM »

TOD: Vangelis' score for Blade Runner is the first to come to mind.

Star Wars.

KevinH

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 07:34:31 AM »

Good morning!

KevinH

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 07:35:19 AM »

On DR Kate's behalf, thanks to all for the concern about her situation.  I'm not sure when she'll be back on HHW.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up