Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: I'VE GOT A LOT OF LIVIN' TO DO  (Read 17088 times)

Ben

Re:I'VE GOT A LOT OF LIVIN' TO DO
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2004, 12:09:37 PM »

Here's Love, which I just listened to yesterday did not impress me greatly.  It's fun to hear Janis Page again, but there isn't a lot there (IMHO). I'll go back and look for that rhyme now that you've mentioned DIT.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2004, 12:15:10 PM »

I find Bob Merrill's work inconsistent. There are some songs I truly enjoy in HSH - particularly "In Some Little World," "Here I Am," and "I Wonder How It Is." But "To Be Artistic"? How could the man who wrote "Her Face," "Promise Me A Rose," and "The Music That Makes Me Dance" have come up with:

"Men kiss men when they're artistic
In admiration for a fellow man
But could you guess
What a bloody mess
If a Green Bay Packer kissed a Ram"

I like the wistfulness of "Do You Ever Go to Boston?" in HSH.

But, c'mon, DR DiT:

I know he's around
when the sky and the ground
start enringing

WHAT??

In my book, if the sky and the ground started enringing each other  (or SOMETHING, at least!) you'd be in the eye of a cyclone!  Now that may be a image of love for some, but not for me.  (oooh, a Gershwin reference!)  Some of his other lyrics in that score are....unfelicitious, at best.

Don't get me wrong.....I LOVE "The Music That Makes Me Dance."  I just think the lyrics are not it best asset.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 12:17:05 PM by Stuart »

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2004, 12:33:39 PM »

"Start in ringing",  DR Stuart, "start in ringing"!!!  It's a colloquial expression.  Like "he started in cleaning the house" instead of "started cleaning the house."
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2004, 12:47:26 PM »

"Start in ringing",  DR Stuart, "start in ringing"!!!  It's a colloquial expression.  Like "he started in cleaning the house" instead of "started cleaning the house."

In- or en-, I still say it's a lousy lyric.

Care to take on that whole "light of two eyes enfolding" stuff??

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2004, 12:48:09 PM »

In- or en-, I still say it's a lousy lyric.

Care to take on that whole "light of two eyes enfolding" stuff??

Or would that be "in folding??"

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2004, 01:06:04 PM »

With ER coming on here on Thursdays at 10pm, and the Sopranos Sunday at 10pm, I was just about to post and ask what had happened to Nip/Tuck.

We don't get the F/X network, so I have to watch Nip/Tuck on CTV (that also shows the other 2 shows I mentioned).

Anyhow I'm not sure when you guys in the US get to see the last 3 episodes of N/T.  But I just checked the CTV sched and it says: Thurs Sept 30th, Tues oct 5, and fri oct 8th (all at 10pm).

If anybody saw last week's show, was it the one with the incestuous kissing scene.  How did I know that was going to happen? :)

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2004, 01:08:06 PM »

Oh and while i was on the site I checked out the Canadian Idol section. For any of you who want to see our newest Canadian Idol. Or hear/see clips.

http://www.ctv.ca/idol/gen/Home.html

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2004, 01:08:13 PM »

Bob Merrill -  not a consistent talent, but his score to CARNIVAL is so charming and terrific. Probably my favorite of his works.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2004, 01:08:41 PM »

I remember William Reynolds from some ABC crime show - was it THE FBI?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2004, 01:10:03 PM »

DR Panni -- when you zoom in on your subject, optical zoom is clearer than digital zoom.

And the more megapixels, the better. And the more expensive. My camera is 5-megapixel.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2004, 01:10:29 PM »

Today finished up helping my friend pack his moving pod and also delivering a sleeper sofa he was giving away to a gal pal of his. The smile on my face from having this chore over with is VERY, VERY broad.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2004, 01:11:18 PM »

Yes, I agree about HERE's LOVE, Meredith Willson's most banal score.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2004, 01:15:15 PM »

Moving pod?  Moving pod?

What the frell is a "moving pod"?

And speaking of "frelling" -- REJOICE "Farscape" fans, for the series returneth with "Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars" on SciFi in the very near future!

And other SciFi fans here -- those who watched the two "Stargate" shows (Jane, Keith, et al):  Did we just have the shortest "season" ever?  What?  Were there five new shows and now we're in hiatus?

Perplexed I am.

Fortunately, though, the BM gods have been kind!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2004, 01:17:58 PM »

Thank you for the zoom and pixel info, DRL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2004, 01:35:13 PM »

It is very important to have zoom and pixel information.  One is simply not "with it" if one doesn't.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2004, 01:42:23 PM »

Car CD player: Babes in Arms, the release with Jason Graae looking very young and cute in his cast photo.

DVD Players: Der Brucer has stolen the copy of Murder on the Orient Express we just picked up, for playing on the DVD player in his room.  I will have to content myself with the first season of Night Gallery, or one of the Hitchcock Signature collection, or the Darth Lucas versions of the Star Wars trilogy.  (Enough to keep me busy for a while).

(This piling on of DVDs was a result of der Brucer having to get a Graphing Calculator, because DR Jenny (who is doing quite well) will be using one in her math classes this year and der B is trying to keep up with her, just so she'll have someone with whom to discuss her homework.  While he was getting the calculator, I browsed the DVD shelves, and one thing led to another and another and another...)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2004, 01:45:23 PM »

And other SciFi fans here -- those who watched the two "Stargate" shows (Jane, Keith, et al):  Did we just have the shortest "season" ever?  What?  Were there five new shows and now we're in hiatus?

Perplexed I am.
SciFi Channel splits the seasons of it's shows into smaller parts, I think in order to keep the material fresh and to keep from competing too heavily with the broadcast networks.  Fresh shows in the summer, fresh shows in the winter.  (Or you can collect them on DVD.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2004, 01:47:01 PM »

CD:  Tonight, Not Again- Jason Mraz Live
DVD:  Call Me Madam
VCR:  Seussical from its Boston run

I was supposed to direct a production of Seussical that started read-thrus on Sunday.  MTI emailed today to cancel the production because of a tour.  I feel like crap.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2004, 01:50:32 PM »

I was supposed to direct a production of Seussical that started read-thrus on Sunday.  MTI emailed today to cancel the production because of a tour.  I feel like crap.
Don't feel like crap.  It's not your fault, nor the fault of your cast.

Question: When MTI pulls this kind of cancellation, do they at least try to help find a different show to produce?  Or would that be asking too much?

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2004, 02:13:18 PM »

Question: When MTI pulls this kind of cancellation, do they at least try to help find a different show to produce?  Or would that be asking too much?

They didn't for me.  I'm looking at Oliver or Once On This Island.  I dunno...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2004, 02:22:50 PM »

SciFi Channel splits the seasons of it's shows into smaller parts, I think in order to keep the material fresh and to keep from competing too heavily with the broadcast networks.  Fresh shows in the summer, fresh shows in the winter.  (Or you can collect them on DVD.)

Hmmm.  I've been watching SciFi Channel religiously for 11 years.  It has always been my experience that they've aired complete seasons (i.e, 18-22 shows) before announcing the "end" of a season.  

"Stargate SG1" and "Stargate Atlantis" debuted last month.  And now they've been announced as having come to the end of their season.  I don't believe more than five episodes of either show aired.

In all the years "Stargate" has been on SciFi, they've shown a complete season (at least 18-20 episodes) before announcing the "end" of the season.  This was also true of all series, including "FarScape" and "The Outer Limits".

Unless of course I've been sucked into some space-time continuum where things are done differently....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 02:23:58 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2004, 02:35:25 PM »

The healing vibes must be working, even those that came in (Panni) last night.  I was better this morning, but now am back on the ice pack.  

Matt H  I thought JOEY had a few good moments.  Before those moments we almost turned it off.  I found the return episode of ACCORDING TO JIM the other night hysterical.

My father, the doctor, didn’t believe in fasting for health reason.  Lucky me.

Joey peaches looks like a sweetie.

Jay thanks for the tip but Advil upsets my stomach, like most things do.

Panni I should find the photos of Echo dressed in Craig’s clothes.  Abie’s neckwear is much cuter.

Bruce you didn’t say what brand of cereal.  I only eat Kellogg’s Raisin Bran.

Jane

« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2004, 02:42:17 PM »

Apropos of absolutely nothing:

Is anything better than a great BM?

LOL.  That only means one thing to me now that we have to keep a journal on Bogie's movements.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2004, 03:13:33 PM »

Divarobbie: Your situation is exactly how we begin What If - talking about the THREE plays we were going to do, each of which pulled the rights from us after having granted them.  That is why What If came into being.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2004, 03:23:55 PM »

Moving pod?  Moving pod?

What the frell is a "moving pod"?

And speaking of "frelling" -- REJOICE "Farscape" fans, for the series returneth with "Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars" on SciFi in the very near future!

Perplexed I am.

Fortunately, though, the BM gods have been kind!

??? We sure did.

Are you finished with therapy yet?  I was thinking about you when I was relieved I had changed the kitty litters before hurting my back.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2004, 03:26:07 PM »

DiT, you bet.  Poor boy, so far that new journal is still empty.  The doctor just called and said he must go see her now.  I feel like crying my back hurts too much to drive.  Thank goodness Keith said he will drive us.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2004, 03:27:24 PM »

Jennifer& Jose I guess I will ask about muscle relaxers.  My reaction years ago was rather traumatic and I have avoided them ever since.  It was years ago and they should have improved by now.  I do have one valium I was thinking of using.  If all of me is relaxed wouldn’t my muscles as well?

MBarnum and others, so what drugs did work for you?

Thank you DRLaura.
Panni I will email you some info on our camera.

DRLaura, we only have 4 mega pixels.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2004, 03:29:41 PM »

DIVAROBBIE - I thought of exactly the same thing WHAT IF!  

You've named a couple of good shows - but if it hasn't been done, or you haven't done it - please look at ONCE UPON A MATTRESS!  It's a challenge to direct and it is so DARN funny!  And lots of people have lots to do!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2004, 03:30:25 PM »

My camera only has 2.1 million megapixels, but it does what I need it to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2004, 03:30:39 PM »

DRJAY are you going to be able to photograph Miss Allison's house sometime?  DRJOSE never travels that way, it seems.

Good vibes for the final two WI performances.  It is so strange after all these weeks of rehearsal and performance to be HOME on Friday evening!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up