Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PLOT TWISTS  (Read 13261 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:PLOT TWISTS
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2004, 11:25:46 AM »

DR WFO and MBarnum:  Some of those Tool-Bar Add-Ins can easily be removed by going to the "Add/Remove Software" tab in the Windows Control Panel - or whatever they're calling it now in WinXP.  They truly just are "programs".  Some of them.  My brother is a programmer, and he pointed out that some of those tool-bars are "simple" programs - programs which may not even come up in Spy-Ware and Ad-Bot detection software.  Kind of trick - or a plot twist!  So, you may just want to try the "Remove" function first and go from there.  Just go down the list of programs and see if any of the Tool-Bar ones are listed.  Select.  Hit Remove.  Then reboot your computer.  *Oh, and do a "hard" re-boot - Shut Down, Start - not a soft-boot - Re-Start Computer.  Hard boots help to clear more "crap" off your computer. -At least according to my brother.  So...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2004, 11:35:09 AM »

I read VANITY FAIR  I'm a bit alarmed by the publicity about this new film's Becky Sharp being a "woman ahead of her time."  In the novel, which is quite funny, Becky's the villan, a sharp angry young schemer determined to climb and claw her way into society, over her friend Amelia's body and relations.  No one ever remarks over the fact that VANITY FAIR is Margaret Mitchell's uncredited source for GONE WITH THE WIND:

Becky = Scarlett
Amelia = Melanie
Battle of Waterloo = Burning of Atlanta

It's been too long since I read either Thackeray or Mitchell, but there are more points of similarity as well; don't both  Becky and Scarlett marry Amelia/Melanie's brother at one point?

The comment regarding Becky Sharp also bothered me, to the extent I’m really am not interested in the movie version.  Hmm, maybe I will tell Keith to see it while I’m in NY.

I never picked up the connection-very interesting.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2004, 11:38:00 AM »

Shamalyan's UNBREAKABLE was much more surprising to me than THE SIXTH SENSE. Of course, it was his least popular film, and I liked it better than any of the others. Go figure!
But you're not alone in liking Unbreakable, which I think is also much better written than his other films.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2004, 11:39:09 AM »

Jose-so pleased your check book has been found.  Since I rarely purchased assorted boxes of See’s I shall have to check out what the Fall assortment is.  I think of peanut brittle as a fall candy but they don’t put that in the assorted boxes.  I’m happy to hear your father is doing fine-continued good vibes to him.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2004, 11:50:12 AM »

You didn't besmirch my research.  I appreciated your post.  I loved living in NY that year, it was - well, you'll read.  My memories of that year are pretty vivid - where I needed help was in the out-of-town portions in New Haven and Boston - two cities I didn't really know that much about.  Plus certain details about where shows were rehearsed, what restaurants the teams convened in, etc.  That's where all those people I listed were very helpful.  Most helpful about the out-of-town stuff was conductor Don Pippin.
This pretty much confirms why I feel statistical research should be used to back up personal recollection, and not the other way around.  It would have been a blast to listen in on the conversations you've had with your friends, pulling together the details.  (Which almost sounds like the plot for a new book...)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2004, 11:52:45 AM »

It is rare that plot twist catch me by surprise, but SIXTH SENSE was one of them.  Often the plot twist is different than what I expect and not as good, IMHO, and I’m not happy.

Charles Pogue, if Becky was made more likeable, then what was done with Amilia?  I looked online and hardly found any mention of her.  I seem to recall she was the central character in the novel.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2004, 11:54:08 AM »

Panni, when we are in LA or Portland Keith tries to get to Peet’s at least once.

FEEL BETTER VIBES TO MBARNUM!

Elan ADDRESS UNKNOWN is a powerful little book.

Jennifer I usually copy before posting.  It has saved me from loosing posts many times in the past. :)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2004, 11:54:54 AM »

Dobbin is the Ashley Wilkes of Vanity Fair.  Not having read the book, I quite enjoyed the movie though I felt a little let down at the end. I think it's worth seeing.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 11:55:44 AM by Charles Pogue »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2004, 11:56:45 AM »

I found Amelia a simpering, delusional fool.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2004, 12:00:20 PM »

Jose-so pleased your check book has been found.  Since I rarely purchased assorted boxes of See’s I shall have to check out what the Fall assortment is.  I think of peanut brittle as a fall candy but they don’t put that in the assorted boxes.  I’m happy to hear your father is doing fine-continued good vibes to him.

From my sampling so far, the Fall Assortment consists of the foil-wrapped chocolate balls, milk chocolate molasses chips (I with they were the dark chocolate ones), a maple cream, a mocha cream... and then I'm suspecting the rest of the box consists of a dark chocolate truffle, a milk chocolate caramel.. and something else round covered in milk chocolate. ;)  

*I should "know" the rest of the contents by the end of the day.  :-X
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2004, 12:07:06 PM »

I found Amelia a simpering, delusional fool.

;D Yes, but you should have loved her anyway.  

Jane

« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2004, 12:10:46 PM »

Jose I prefer the light molasses chips and the milk chocolate creams.  I’m not a fan of the mocha or maple creams.  I guess that is why I make my own boxes and don’t purchase the pr-packed ones.  ;D The rest of your box sounds yummy. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2004, 12:11:23 PM »

...Scotchmallow (Honey Marshmallow and caramel).

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2004, 12:13:41 PM »

....Dark Bordeaux (Brown Sugar Buttercream)..
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2004, 12:15:20 PM »

And I'm suspecting the remaining rectangular piece is a Butterscotch Square (Firm brown sugar, vanilla buttercream).

-And, yes, I do have the catalog in front of me.  I do know all of the See's candies by sight.  Yet.  :P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2004, 12:17:14 PM »

...I just got my advance book for The Producers delivered to me... There's a lot of notes!  However, from the looks of it, most of it is "rhythm" stuff, and from the notes in the front, there's only four or five exposed solo sections.  Not too bad.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2004, 12:18:01 PM »

Der Brucer is now referring to Fletcher as his "Irish puppy."

This may seem odd, as Fletcher is a Dalmatian, and they are not an Irish breed.  However, the designation is earned.

Fletcher has discovered potatoes.

I had a few sitting on the kitchen counter, some red rose taters and a couple of bakers.  We left to run some errands, and when we returned we found that Fletcher had been counter-surfing again, and had pulled them down.

Scolding doesn't seem to sink in with Fletcher.  He knows that our fingers wagging in front of his face means that we are not happy with his behavior, but he can't pick up the tone of our voices.  If anything, he loves the attention.

I thought I had gathered up the potatoes, and put them back on the counter, but I must have missed one or two of them because he shortly reappeared with a red rose potato in his mouth, happy as if it were a ball.  Well, we figured it couldn't do him any harm to chomp on the potato, so we let him keep it.

This would be the end of it, except that Mikey, the little terrier, has decided that HE TOO likes potatoes.  In fact, he and Fletcher have quarreled more than once over who owns the potato, with Mikey grabbing the spud and running away with it in his mouth.  The spud is, of course, almost as large as his head.  (This may be, for him, a substitute for the avocados he used to harvest from the tree in our West Coast back yard digs.)

Well, what the heck, potatoes are cheap.

I'm a little concerned, however.  What's going to happen if I leave a head of garlic on the counter?

Jane

« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2004, 12:25:04 PM »

Now I want a scotchmellow!  I don’t care for the Bordeaux but the Butterscotch Squares are good even if I don’t purchase them very often.

SWW-LOL-now you have learned you must not leave food on the counter you don’t want a big dog to steal.   ;D

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2004, 12:28:06 PM »

Criminal, which is currently at a cinema near you, contains a pretty nifty twist.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2004, 12:31:45 PM »

Maybe near some people, but it's not in Ashland yet.  Possibly by the time I return from NY.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2004, 12:39:12 PM »

I want some chocolate's now.  I want a box of Aunt See's caramels and creams.

The only chocolate that's in our vending machings here on the floor is Butterfingers bars and York patties.  They won't do.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 12:40:10 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2004, 12:46:35 PM »

I skipped my walk this morning, too but it was raining pretty severely, and I didn't want to risk it in case lightning started popping. I'll be back on track tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2004, 12:47:33 PM »

Tonight at rehearsal, I will be killed (or rather my character), so that frees up the next two nights for me. I don't have rehearsal after tonight until Friday. It will be nice to have that midweek break.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2004, 12:51:41 PM »

"But Dr. Morris, don't you see?  These papers prove that Larry couldn't have murdered that man!  Oh, we've got to get these papers to the police right away!  Dr. Morris?  Dr. Morris--my arm!  Dr. Morris, you're hurting my arm!"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Emily

« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2004, 12:52:00 PM »

oooh chocolate...

Michael Shayne, did you get my PM re: the cds you were selling?  If not I'll resend :)

Today on the bus there was a guy about my age on a cell phone who was having the most FASCINATING discussion with his mother.  I started eavesdropping when he kept repeating "Mom quit the dramatics" over and over again until he SCREAMED it into the phone.  Clearly this worked because then he got to say "I'm doing it anyway.... I hate it.  I hate it.  I hate it.  Really.  Dad can go f**k himself".  Clearly there was some sort of disagreement going on... of course one wonders why he would ever use language like that with his mother but who am I to judge?

One of the movie plot twists that I remember shocking me was from A Beautiful Mind a couple years ago.  The revelation about the roomate floored me... but I'm very easily led I guess because others told me they knew all along about the "truth".
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2004, 12:52:12 PM »

For those who didn't know, the cast recording of TEXAS LI'L DARLIN' comes out on CD today paired with the soundtrack of YOU CAN'T RUN AWAY FROM IT, the miserable film musical version of IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT. At least, now I can put away that old 10" LP cast album. And we're supposed to be getting LOOK MA, I'M DANCIN' next month. I never dreamed ANY of these would ever make it to CD (and that included the now available ANKLES AWEIGH and MEXICAN HAYRIDE).

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2004, 01:14:59 PM »

DRs Jose and Jane I want to hurt you both!

Those chocolates sound so good though. :)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2004, 01:16:46 PM »

Another plot twist heavy movie worthy of mentioning is Malice.  I was completely blindsided by that one.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2004, 01:21:50 PM »

Another plot twist heavy movie worthy of mentioning is Malice.  I was completely blindsided by that one.

So was I, DR D-t-M. I thought it was wonderful and for me the first indication that there was something else to Nicole Kidman except a multimillionaire superstar husband and an interesting face.

One of the best things about it was the misdirection of the early rape/murders. (I won't say any more about that aspect of it.) It seems like it's going to be sort of a classy slasher film, and it's SO different from that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 01:23:27 PM by Matt H. »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2004, 01:23:36 PM »

Briefly, in the 1950's, my mother dated Ira Levin.  I've always wondered whether she might have been the inspiration for A Kiss Before Dying.  On further thought, The Stepford Wives is a possibility, too.

So long as you're not Rosemary's baby!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up