Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FALL OF DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME  (Read 30445 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE FALL OF DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME
« on: October 25, 2003, 01:01:01 AM »

Good morning.  It's the weekend - let's see if we can keep up our incredible and amazing posts, shall we?  If you haven't read the notes, do so, as we've got things to celebrate and discuss.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2003, 01:15:56 AM by bk »

Jason

Re:THE FALL OF DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 01:15:08 AM »

Yay! First post post-BK!! Huzzah!

Read last night's late post to find out what's going on with me. It's a sordid tail, of that you can be sure.

(And, yes, I know I spelled TALE incorrectly...)

Jason

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 01:23:29 AM »

Before I forget any longer:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, Dear Reader JED![/move]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 01:27:12 AM by Jason »

Jed

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2003, 01:23:37 AM »

Ummm, BK...
Thanks much for the birthday wishes, but the handy dandy new HHW calendar will show you that my birthday is in fact TOMORROW, the 26th, not today! :)

Calendars like this one that run Monday-Sunday rather than Sunday-Saturday always screw me up as well.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jason

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2003, 01:24:03 AM »

Oh, for Pete's sake, what did I do?

Jason

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2003, 01:24:54 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW, DEAR READER JED!!! [/move]  :-\
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 01:25:51 AM by Jason »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2003, 03:17:30 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, DR Jed![/move]

Yes, the closing song from Taken was bad, and the girl who was the villian at the end was terribly acted, I kept thinking the only reason she was killed by the aliens was that they would need her for the series (kind of like Dr. Smith in Lost In Space).

What a GREAT question, and since I just finished Everything Was Possible about the making of Follies, I have even been thinking about this.

I would love to have been there from beginning to end of The Pajama Game.

Because it is so funny, because of the personalities involved including Mr Bob Fosse, Mr George Abbott, and Mr Hal Prince.  Not to mention Ms Shirley MacClaine, Ms Janice Paige, and Mr Eddie Foy, Jr!

My second choice would be ANY Stephen Sondheim musical, but especially Company!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 03:18:06 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2003, 05:11:38 AM »

Good morning everyone!  So many posts!

Danise - so sorry to hear about your loss.

Jason - I sympathize with your mouse problem.  I lived in my last apartment for three years and had a recurring, often constant influx of them.  I'm not afraid of them alive but it just grossed me out to no end to have to deal with trapping and killing them.  So keeping the apartment mouse-proofed was very high-maintenance, because the little suckers would always find a way to chew new holes in the walls.  (If one was chewing that loudly I would think it was because it was stuck somewhere and trying to get in/out.  Hopefully out.)  I just got a cat not too long ago, so I'm hoping if any mice are lurking around my new home, they will be discouraged from entering.  Although the cat seems kind of lazy so far.   :P  Good luck.

I really have no idea about today's question - I will have to think about that one.

Thank you to the karma fairy for the point, btw (by the way in Internet lingo).  :)
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Ben

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2003, 05:51:01 AM »

Happy Birthday a day early Jed

Well, who says you can't have two birtday celebrations. Not me.

Jason, sorry to hear about your mouse problem. We used to have a problem (mainly because a crazy lady in another apartment collects and brings refuse into her apartment - don't ask we've tried to get her out but to no avail). We seem to have mouse-proofed the apartment pretty well, but about a year and a half ago when we put down some tiles in the kitchen, we had to remove a piece of mouse proofing for a while. That was all it took. We didn't see the little bugger come in, but that night we had a mouse. We put out the traps, but this one actually escaped one afternoon a couple of days later when Anthony opened the apartment door. He (the mouse) must have heard it and he dashed across the hall and out the door and fell down one flight (he had gone through a slot on the railing. He then ran into the downstairs neighbors apartment. At the time she had a gap between her apartment door and the floor, large enough for Mr. Mouse to slip in. She screamed cause she saw him come in but he hid himself right away. She had a cat though so Mr. Mouse's days were numbered.

Off to see Wilder tonight at Playwrights Horizons. It's a new musical starring Mr. John Cullum.

TOTD (Topic of the Day in Internet Lingo)

Gosh, so many to choose from. Since one of my absolute all-time favorites musicals is one mos people would not choose, I think I would like to be with the Sondheim company as they put together Pacific Overtures. I think this show is brilliant. Someone in a Tree is, in my humble opinion, an incredible, beautiful and great song.

Since I'm about to read Mr. Ted Chapin's book, I think I would also like to be around helping out at Follies. Another show to see being created would be Pal Joey.

That's it for now. Time for breakfast and the New York Times on this sunny but cool day in NYC. It sure ain't no 95 degrees here on the upper east coast.

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2003, 06:08:27 AM »

Hey people!  Okay I was about to check yesterday's notes first (since I thought BK had said that he would be posting later). But when I was about to check them, I saw that the notes were in fact up. And since I don't want any bad karma, I just opened another window and read the notes first.

See I can be trained!  

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2003, 06:16:29 AM »

First DR RonP asked about how to use the smilies.  Okay I'll try.  The site Joy gave us is
http://www.clicksmilies.com

You go there and choose the smiley you want (there are many categories).  You will see that whichever one you click on, that code will appear below. You just take that code and put it here (it comes with the image thingies already in it). I hope that makes sense. There are some really great ones.

DR RonP also wrote about Survivor (yesterday):
Jennifer:  I may turn be totally wrong about this, but I believe Rupert's outrage is a result of learning that he was "lied to" by Jon., who uses his comedic bent to take attention away from his vast inadequacies.  He had Rupert's friendship and then betrayed it.  I'd say that was major.  Only the passage of a week will show us what really happened.

I have no idea what Trish's grief was about.  I've not seen any "straddling" behavior from Rupert that would indicate he was partial to the other side.  What gave her the right to stand in judgment of Rupert and to try turn everyone against him (which it seemed she had done)?

I think she had a FEAR that Rupert had the respect of the other side and that a coming merger would give him a huge advantage with both tribes, which is true.  But it backfired on her.  I know Jon fears him.  Jon ought to fear all of them.

They never showed us, did they, how the tide was turned from Rupert to Trish?

It's only a game show, though, and yes, they manipulate what we see.

I see what you're saying. But Sandra lied to Trish, is she screaming at her?  That's what the game is about. Rupert should not be screaming like an idiot just because the others were smart enough to realize he needed to go.  Trish was right IMO. Rupert carries the team. They do whatever he says. He bosses them around. But more than that, he acts like he owns the place.

It bothered me that he couldn't have cared less about Sean. Yet when he (Rupert) found out about Trish's plan, he went to Sean and was all buddy buddy, saying crap like, "let's vote her out" and "you and me till the end".

I'm sorry but Rupert lied. He's playing the game. So what gives him the right to freak when others do the same.

I think Trish realized how powerful Rupert had become.  And he obviously did have sway with the other tribe. You saw how he convinced the guy to take the crappy rice. And you saw how much the other tribe worshipped him.

I have loved Rupert in the past. But I was not happy with what I saw of him this week.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2003, 06:16:33 AM »

I thought Everything Was Possible was sensational. I loved it from beginning to end and wept at certain passages as aspects of the show which I loved came into being. Too bad all the great classic shows don't have an almost day-by-day recording as this one now has. Wouldn't give anything for this book and look forward to reading it again in a few months.

I'd love to have the same kind of thing attached to ANYONE CAN WHISTLE. Since it was a notorious bomb (with a fabulous score), I think the herculean efforts to pull it together would be fascinating to read about. Some of it can be found in Zadan's Sondheim and Co., but not in the detail that Ted Chapin have us in his book.

Happy Early Birthday, DR Jed!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2003, 06:19:43 AM »

Btw, re: the whole picture thing.

I asked yesterday on the tech board how to include a picture. There has to be an easier way (than editing your profile and including it there).  I really just want to post my picture once. And I don't really want it to be in some file.

Wouldn't you think there would be a way to just copy and paste it in the message?

Okay everyone I'm off now. Have a good Saturday!

And BK your title today was misleading. I was wondering if the time already changed and I missed it :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2003, 06:28:33 AM »

I meant to mention the one DVD release this coming week I'm really looking forward to: The Sherlock Holmes Collection featuring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce in their first four B-movie Holmes films for Universal. The films have been remastered, and reviews on the new transfers have them sounding next to wonderful.

For the record, the first four in this first set are Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror, Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon, Sherlock Holmes Faces Death, and Sherlock Holmes in Washington.

The next four are slated for the end of November. I just hope this release will also include the two 20th Century Fox-A pictures that Rathbone and Bruce made in 1939: Hound of the Baskervilles and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. These were beautifully done in period and are among the best Sherlock Holmes films ever made.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 06:29:59 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2003, 06:35:52 AM »

Happy Early Birthday again to Jed, this time w/animation

Ben

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2003, 06:39:50 AM »

Probably won't be at chat tomorrow, or I may be late. I'm seeing Lucky Stiff at York tomorrow evening. Wanted to be in chat for the first time in the new room. Oh, well, there will be more days.

Kerry

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2003, 06:50:22 AM »

Ben and Ant look so butch in that picture.  And of course, they ARE butch.  I expected them to sweep up in their arms and go galloping off  on a horse!
Jason, those little sonar boxes you plug in really do work on mice.  Someone else here once suggested they worked on roaches too, but I only know from mice.  We started using one at the store becasue the restaurant next door seemed to get critters, and we didn't want them strying our way.  Since we got two of those boxes, all is well.  

I'm still figuring out all this new fangled technology.
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2003, 07:07:44 AM »

We don't observe DST around here, so everything changes, but we stay the same.  ;D

I agree with DR MattH - Everything Was Possible is a wonderful read and a great chronicle of a putting on a show!  I had to get out my FOLLIES Cast Album last night and listen to it again.

DRMattH - I saw Dorothy Collins do MY FAIR LADY here in Indy some years before and she was terrific.  Not the thinnest of Eliza's but terrific!  I may have a picture if you would like me to post it.  Where is it?  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

DR Jason - I heard something last night and immediately thought of a Mouse!!!

Turns out it was my doggie who didn't want my door closed after dark.

Miss Bette Davis is in an episode of "The Virginian" this morning, and it is strange to see Margo Channing on a horse!

DR Ben please let me know the details about the WILDER musical.  Sounds very interesting.  We bought some costumes for SOUTH PACIFIC last summer and our Emil discovered that his costumes had previously been worn/made for another Emil:  Mr John Cullum!

Saturday!  Time to watch DVD's and hope for exciting mail!

DR TD - email me your snail mail address.  I have something for you!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 07:08:11 AM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2003, 07:15:03 AM »

DR Jason - DR Kerry is so correct.  As I wrote on the old board - the electronic plug in boxes work.

Just get a couple for your apartment and no more problems.  Really!  You can get them at any hardware store, I am sure.

http://www.biconet.com/critter/mouseX.html

This website talks about how it works!   :P

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2003, 07:27:56 AM »

PS.  Happy early birthday, DR Jed!

If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Ben

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2003, 07:38:20 AM »

Kerry, so glad to see that you're here. It will take a while to figure it all out and then it will be second nature (I hope). I'll send you and MG the picture of Ant and me that we had mentioned in an earlier e-mail.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2003, 07:44:03 AM »

Good morning, DRs!  I am here at work, but in 3 hours or so, I will be at...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]THE KENNEDY CENTER IN THE AUDIENCE OF BOUNCE[/move]

Yes, the day has finally come, and I promise to post a review on Sunday night or Monday.  I say Sunday or Monday because I will be sleeping over at my friend Kate's house...she is a fellow Sondhead and we're going to see the show together.

Hmmm...if I could go back in time to witness the creation and rehearsals of any musical, I really would not hesitate to say Gypsy.  To me, it really is the greatest musical of all time, pure and simple.  I would love to see first-hand Merman plunging into her greatest role, and Jerry Robbins' passionate vision, and Jule Styne discussing "Some People" lyrics with Sondheim.  I mean, I would NOT have liked to have seen the fabled arguments between Steve and the Merm, but I would love to see everything else.  My second place choice would be Follies, and I can't wait to buy Everything Was Possible!

A very happy un-birthday to DR Jed!  It is my very happy un-birthday too!  :P

Emily--thanks for pasting Swishy's e-mail!  I'm glad to hear all is well with her...she really is a very smart and level-headed 16 year old.

Jason--I've never had a rodent infestation (and never will, God willing), but I do sympathize!  Hope the problem improves!

Ben--I also want to hear about Wilder...I've heard really good things about it.

Finally....

~~~~~~~Flirty vibes to DRs Mark Bakalor and Jed~~~~~~~~~~~

Emily

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2003, 07:50:53 AM »

Good morning!  Good Yawning!

I hope everyone has taken a gander at the note DR Swishy Sarah sent me via msn yesterday to post on this here site.

She misses you all veeeerrrrryyyy much! :)

Guess what?  It snowed here yesterday!  Little tiny flurry flakes - but snow nonetheless.  With Daylight Savings Time starting soon, I hereby declare the start of the Canadian Winter.  Let's hope we all survive it... (now THAT would be a kick ass Mark Burnett Show SURVIVOR: IQUALUIT)

The Topic of the Day:

I know all of you think I'm going to say a JRB show for the question - but all of you are WRONG!  I mean, from what I understand he's not a very nice guy... why would I waste my trip back in time to be surrounded by a pretentious meanie?  Nope... I'll just listen to TL5Y ad nauseum and never think about the composer's rotten personality.

Instead, I think I'd like to go back and be involved in the creation of West Side Story.  Unless Leonard Bernstein turns out to be a mean kitten-eater or something.  Please don't tell me if Bernstein was mean - you're ruining my favorite composers!!!!!!! :D

Talk to you all later - I need to get my number of posts up!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2003, 07:58:58 AM »

I forgot to mention something else.  I was catching up on my back entries of Juliana's Journal, and she mentions that on her recent stop in NYC she had a female cab driver.  I have lived here over three years and have yet to have a female cab driver - I was wondering if they existed at all!  So I was pleased to find out that they do.  Have any of you DRs ever seen/had one here?

Emily

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2003, 08:04:27 AM »

Hmmm... what with now knowing everyone's astrological sign on the boards - I thought I should check out my (as a Scorpio's) compatibility with the other signs.  Tell me where all of you fit! :)

Scorpio - October 21 – November 21

Most Compatible:
Pisces and Cancer

Somewhat:
Sagittarius, Capricorn, Virgo and Libra

Least:
Aquarius - detached and impersonal
Taurus - clash of wills
Leo - overly dramatic and arrogant

Neutral:
Aries and Gemini
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 08:04:59 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2003, 08:06:45 AM »

Dear Reader LC:

Have you never seen On the Town?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2003, 08:08:55 AM »

Peas in a pod we are, DR Emily.

Speaking of Pisces, what is it?  Fish?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2003, 08:09:11 AM »

DR Jay, no, I have not.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2003, 08:10:35 AM »

Emily - did you share with DR SwishySarah that we have bestowed great karma on her?

And Bruce Kimmel - I am surprised you made no mention of a QUADRUPLE entry of Juliana's Journal going up a little past midnight last night.....

more later...

Emily

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2003, 08:13:58 AM »

Nope Craig...

I told swishy that there was a surprise awaiting her upon her return.

She *tried* to get it out of me and but I didn't budge.  I should be a spy... Jennifer Garner push over! ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up