Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MOSTLY A DAY OFF  (Read 3052 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: MOSTLY A DAY OFF
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2015, 01:28:32 PM »

But, he did not follow me here.

Page 3
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2015, 01:42:44 PM »

I think the New York Reuben chip and the Southern Biscuit and Gravy chip are the best of the batch.

Frankly, though, I've not been bowled over by any of the flavored chips Lay's has introduced (suggested by fans).

I still believe my "Potato Salad Potato Chip" suggestion would have been better than any I've tasted, so far!  ;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2015, 01:55:20 PM »

I see that J.K. Rowling is releasing the third book in her detective series - the one written under her nom de plume.

"Career of Evil" by Robert Galbraith.  My library has it on order.  I've "recommended" (it's a function in OverDrive) that they purchase the e-book. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2015, 01:55:54 PM »

Topic of the Day:

I am currently reading (for the very first time) "To Kill a Mockingbird."  Excellent books (well, books that I've really liked) that I've recently read (in alphabetical order):

Academ's Fury (book 2 of the Codex Alera)
The Martian (by Andy Weir)
Murder at the Hollywood Division (an Adriana Hofstetter novel)
A Red Herring Without Mustard (a Flavia de Luce novel)
Small Favor (a novel of The Dresden Files)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2015, 02:02:04 PM »

Back from a jog.  We put up the next Kritzerland show for reservations ninety minutes ago and half the tickets are gone.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2015, 02:30:22 PM »

Hey, everyone!

TOD: Just read "The Girl With All the Gifts" by Mike Carey. It's a zombie-apocalypse book, which is not normally my genre of preference, but Carey's one of my favorite writers, and he quite ingeniously blends the genre elements with a retelling of a Greek myth (I don't want to say which one, although the title might give it away) and his own quite excellent character writing. It's also being made into a British movie featuring Glen Close. His graphic novel series, "The Unwritten," is also quite excellent.

I just added it to my Washington eBook wish list which I will get to one day.

DR Jennifer is this something you would read?

My library has as an e-book download, so I went ahead and placed a hold.

Hmmm, I've never done that.  I just use epub.  Once I am done with the books at the Ashland library I will begin placing holds from my Vancouver wish list.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2015, 02:31:11 PM »

Lay's Potato Chips - 4 newest flavors

Anyone tried them?

I've had the Southern Biscuits & Gravy:  Pretty darned tasty
I've had the Greektown Gyro:  Not so much.
And I'm currently tasting the New York Reuben -- Yum!
& the West Coast Truffle Fries -- Interesting, but I've never had the actual truffle fries so I don't know how it compares.

Anyone tried 'em/have any preferences?

Nope and I don't plan to ;D

Jane

« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2015, 02:33:13 PM »

I am 21 books behind my goal to read 140 books for the year.  140 books should be nothing to me, boy has my life changed this year :)

Next year I will challenge myself to only read the number of books I read this year.

I always set my goal lower, then increase it if i am reading a lot. You could adjust your goal now if you don't think you can read 140 books.

I think it is funny watching how many books I am behind schedule.  Based on my past years I could have set it to 150 books and expected to beat it.  If I felt pressured to read more because of the numbers I would change it.

Jane

« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2015, 02:35:40 PM »

I see that J.K. Rowling is releasing the third book in her detective series - the one written under her nom de plume.

"Career of Evil" by Robert Galbraith.  My library has it on order.  I've "recommended" (it's a function in OverDrive) that they purchase the e-book. :)

I don't seem to have that option on the Washington overdrive.  I'm going to double check this as I don't know why yours would be different than mine.  It is possible I don't think it is there because there isn't a link to see which books I have recommended.  I have one on my Oregon overdrive.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2015, 02:40:25 PM »

My WA eBook library does not show this when I did an advanced search.  So far I have not found any books doing an advance search that were not found doing a regular search.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2015, 03:07:04 PM »

I haven't been tempted by any of the flavors DR RLP.....all I can think is: THESE were the best ones submitted?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2015, 03:11:16 PM »

32 seats left :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2015, 03:21:31 PM »

Topic of the Day:

I am currently reading (for the very first time) "To Kill a Mockingbird."  Excellent books (well, books that I've really liked) that I've recently read (in alphabetical order):

Academ's Fury (book 2 of the Codex Alera)
The Martian (by Andy Weir)
Murder at the Hollywood Division (an Adriana Hofstetter novel)
A Red Herring Without Mustard (a Flavia de Luce novel)
Small Favor (a novel of The Dresden Files)

I am quite embarrassed that I forgot "Murder At the Hollywood Division"; it was the last novel I've read this year and i really liked it.  Oy!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2015, 03:59:10 PM »

I don't seem to have that option on the Washington overdrive.  I'm going to double check this as I don't know why yours would be different than mine.  It is possible I don't think it is there because there isn't a link to see which books I have recommended.  I have one on my Oregon overdrive.

First, it's not Washington's OverDrive versus Oregon's OverDrive, it's each particular library's OverDrive.  Each individual library system contracts with OverDrive and sets their own parameters and options.

George

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2015, 04:00:30 PM »

My WA eBook library does not show this when I did an advanced search.  So far I have not found any books doing an advance search that were not found doing a regular search.

Second, when you do the advance search, make sure that you select the option (it is probably at the very bottom of the screen just above the search button) "Additional Titles to Recommend."  This is the option that searches OverDrive's complete database, and not just your library's purchased titles.  That should bring up any title that is available for your library to purchase.  Now, whether they choose to buy it is another issue, but at least you will know if OverDrive has it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:05:35 PM by George »

George

« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2015, 04:04:45 PM »

Here's what it looks like:

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2015, 04:08:04 PM »

Just watching a movie and relaxing.  In about an hour I'll leave for dinner at Ruth's Chris!

Michael

« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2015, 04:18:11 PM »

good evening to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2015, 04:19:00 PM »

Great company for September's Kritzerland show
Never stop dreaming.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2015, 04:34:08 PM »

The hills are alive!  The new Maria competition coming to a BBC near you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze9l1-6se8k

;D
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2015, 04:34:19 PM »

First, it's not Washington's OverDrive versus Oregon's OverDrive, it's each particular library's OverDrive.  Each individual library system contracts with OverDrive and sets their own parameters and options.

I wasn't sure.  I don't know about the Overdrive aap but I was told the books were through the entire state.  Sometimes there would be a check mark on a book.  Highlighting it would show my library might not have the book where other libraries did.  Other times I got a book faster because my library purchased extra books just for us.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2015, 04:36:24 PM »

Second, when you do the advance search, make sure that you select the option (it is probably at the very bottom of the screen just above the search button) "Additional Titles to Recommend."  This is the option that searches OverDrive's complete database, and not just your library's purchased titles.  That should bring up any title that is available for your library to purchase.  Now, whether they choose to buy it is another issue, but at least you will know if OverDrive has it.

My "Ashland" overdrive has a box to check for Additional Titles to Recommend.  I don't see it when I do the advanced search at the Vancouver library.

Jane

« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2015, 04:40:14 PM »

That is what I am used to.  Now all I have at the bottom is:
Show only titles with copies available

Jane

« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2015, 04:43:39 PM »

Thanks for your help DR George.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2015, 04:51:03 PM »

DR George IS very helpful, isn't he?         :)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2015, 04:52:19 PM »

Yes he is :)

George

« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2015, 04:54:21 PM »

Well, I do actually work for a library, you know.

;)

George

« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2015, 04:55:50 PM »

That is what I am used to.  Now all I have at the bottom is:
Show only titles with copies available

Very interesting.  I guess your new library doesn't want its patrons suggesting titles to purchase. :-\

I would think that it's a financial decision, although the library's selectors would still be the ones confirming the purchasing of said selections.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2015, 04:58:08 PM »

Notice the difference between Ashland & Vancouver.  The 4th listing in Ashland is missing in Vancouver.

Ashland:
Wish List
Rated titles
Recommended for you
Titles you recommended

Vancouver:
Wish List
Rated titles
Recommended for you

Jane