Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HERE'S THAT RAINY DAY  (Read 19194 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HERE'S THAT RAINY DAY
« on: October 19, 2004, 11:59:02 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have rained down upon you, you've rained down upon the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the rainy cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 12:02:33 AM by bk »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:HERE'S THAT RAINY DAY
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 12:01:47 AM »

I was going to do a page eight dance, but I guess the tide has turned
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 12:06:06 AM »

I don't think there's another metropolitan city that has spent more money ripping up streets and "fixing" the sewers that has worse sewer problems than Los Angeles. Every week our driving is ruined because somewhere at all times they are ripping up streets and "fixing" and it's just hogwash or we wouldn't be having these problems from what in essence is one day of heavy rainfall

It's hogwash?  You mean there are hogs somewhere in Los Angeles?  I guess you're lucky it doesn't rain often.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 12:07:18 AM by Noel »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 12:19:12 AM »

Yes, I've never seen a city fall apart like LA does when you get a little rain; this would be nothing in Kentucky.  

And, yes, Mr. Kimmel, we will be eating at Schwabs, so I hope when you fell and hurt your arm tonight, it wasn't your eating arm.

Well, I've learned something about my new dog, Tewkes, tonight.  He hates the rain.  We got caught in a shower in mid-walk this evening and he couldn't wait to get back inside, ran all the way.  He's like old  Humbug was in that way; now old Cully didn't mind at all.  I tried to take him out a half hour ago under the eaves of the house and then under the cover of the back blacony.  Both places were dry.  But he didn't do anything, just ran back to the respective doors and wanted in.  Now I have to wait up till this slacks off before I go to bed.  I think it just did.  Gotta run.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 12:19:20 AM »

Message by Panni
We've passed the 200 mark!
It's still coming down like crazy. I'm building an ark. Or since I'm in Hollywood - an ARC.  

Not only an arc, but there must be an inciting incident.  And you'll need to start a new act every 60 pages or so

Did someone's new street get mentioned in the notes?

(That will get people to read 'em!)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 12:20:55 AM »

No such luck.  We have an old rain slicker that Hotspur used to wear.  Maybe I'll try that. This dog has to bleed his lizard and do any other business he may have.  I wanna go to bed.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 12:35:05 AM »

Madison Square Garden was indeed at 50th and 8th but had already moved to its present location by 1968.  My book begins at the end of 1969, so I'm hopeful that the info I was given is correct.  Again, in all my research I was never able to find any mention of the exact location, and so relied totally on Mr. Walton and Mr. Schmidt, who seemed fairly sure.  But, as someone said yesterday, thankfully the book is fiction.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 12:42:12 AM »

Don't sweat it....Mr Walton and Mr Schmidt are lively reliable sources for something that specific.

Wednesday!  DRJOSE sounds like he is working in the salt mines....hopefully he can get through it the next couple of days.  GOOD REHEARSAL VIBES to DRJOSE.

Cal Bolder.......so what was that about that ticket?  Horror-Wood is a funny site.  That is where my Allison Hayes bio is - has been there a few years and is linked at several sites - so any information you put there DRMBARNUM will be archived and available to anyone doing a search for Mr Bolder!  Or Frankenstein or the daughter of Jesse James.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 12:46:48 AM »

I am looking forward to the POTO movie as well.  You can view the preview trailer online on the official site by going to IMDB and searching the title.  There is a link.  As DRJAY said, it is difficult to tell about anything from the fast cutting of the trailer - but it does look lavish.  I am only concerned about Miss Minnie Driver as Carlotta....oh well....

My question for ASKBK day - when you are/were rehearsing a show such as HAPPY DAYS if you come up with a funny line were you able to use it, or a funny bit of business, did the director/producer/writers encourage such things, or were you tied to the script?  I know during film, you wouldn't want to do such a thing - but during read thrus or rehearsals....and if so...what is the funniest "bit" you added to a show that we should look for?

My second question.....when you were working with her, did Miss Dinah Shore realize that she couldn't sing anymore?  And what happened to her voice?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 12:47:19 AM »

Oh - wear your tightest sweater to Schwab's and order an ice cream soda.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 12:52:35 AM »

Well, off to bed. I like listening to the rain, all warm and comfy under the covers.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 02:02:59 AM »

Our own rains here in Delaware seem to have died down for the moment.  After a lifetime in the desert, the amount of rain I've seen in the past year is refreshing.

Question for BK and all others: You're at a hamburger joint, where all the fixings you could want on your hamburger have been laid out, buffet style.  What do you put on your burger.

(Jane: feel free to gardenburger.)

Me, I'm satisfied with some bacon, a slice of Swiss cheese, a very thin slice of red onion, and a squirt of mustard (yep, the yellow kind).  Maybe a little lettuce, iceberg is o.k. but it has to be the leafy part and not the ribs.  But I do want the bun toasted a little.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 02:05:09 AM »

Second question:

What films are you looking forward to seeing in the next couple of months?

The only film that is a must-see on my list, right now, is The Incredibles.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 02:47:22 AM »

Has any DR used the Ticketmaster service that emails you the tickets and you print them out?

Did it turn out okay?  What do you print the tickets on?  Does it matter?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 02:48:41 AM »

Cheeseburger, tomato, dill pickles chips, mayo, bacon, and lettuce.

Darn, now I'm hungry and lunch is HOURS away.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2004, 03:56:28 AM »

Question for BK and all others: You're at a hamburger joint, where all the fixings you could want on your hamburger have been laid out, buffet style.  What do you put on your burger.

Just ketchup, and only if it's in a sealed packet. When they're not laid out buffet-style, other fixings (Doesn't fixins sound better?) would be lettuce, tomato and pickle.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2004, 05:44:29 AM »

I can go this way and that with hamburgers.  Sometimes I want everything on it:  lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, ketchup, mustard, black pepper.  Other times I want something sleeker--just onions and ketchup.  But always ketchup.

And generally, unless I'm at a picnic, I don't like using a "fixin's" buffet.  I don't know who's been there.  Or else I do.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2004, 05:46:01 AM »

BK Question:  What is the absolutely worst book (fiction or non) you've read, beginning to end?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2004, 06:01:27 AM »

Dear Friend BK, I been thinking about this question since yesterday:  what do you consider the best adaptations of a book to stage or film?  Can you think of any improvement from book to film or stage?

I love a good cheeseburger with mustard, dill pickle, onion, lettuce and tomato.  After all the media exposes of salad bars in Manhattan delis in the late 1980s and 1990s, I avoid them.  I've never understood the appeal of ketchup on anything but french fries.  Sorry.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William E. Lurie

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2004, 06:16:10 AM »

Has anyone noticed that tomorrow will be the end of year one on the revised HHW?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2004, 06:22:30 AM »

And over 70,000 posts!

Averaging nearly 180 posts per day!  We must be using Platformate!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2004, 07:07:15 AM »

DR Panni:  Lovely new digs.  I look forward to inside photos.  Does Abie do well with stairs?

DR Jane:  I think Rachael Ray is almost as divoon as Alton Brown.  She is just so bubbly, and exudes personality.  Do try to be at whichever restaurants she is featuring.  She seems to be delightful.

DR SWW:  It may (or may not) interest you to know that Mimi Sheraton attended the alma mater of DR Jay and myself:  Midwood High School.

Burgers?  Kethup, mayo, lettuce, onion, tomato.

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2004, 07:13:54 AM »

Rain...it rains a lot here in Oregon, particularly in Salem U.S.A. It has been raining her all week and will rain at least until Sunday...or so says the channel 8 weather man.

My BK question is: As you are a fan of Ms. Astrud Gilberto, what are your favorite songs that she sings? I love her signature number THE  GIRL FROM IPANEMA, and I really love WHEN THE CRICKETS SING.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2004, 08:02:49 AM »

I am tentatively scheduled to go with a friend to see SHALL WE DANCE? Friday afternoon. I have a NUNCRACKERS rehearsal on Friday morning, but should be back home to see a mid-afternoon screening. I am looking forward to it.

I try to keep an open mind about remakes of other films. If the film is foreign and being "Americanized" in a redo, I will give it a chance.

What I loathe is remaking masterpieces that don't require a new version: PSYCHO, THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. That's where I draw the line.

But we wouldn't have John Huston's masterful THE MALTESE FALCON if they hadn't botched the job in two previous attempts. I'm GRATEFUL for remakes like that.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2004, 08:04:04 AM »

I, too, am looking forward to THE INCREDIBLES. I also want to see LEMONY SNICKETS. Annette Bening's new film also seems like it would be interesting.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2004, 08:24:40 AM »

Years ago I was working with a very funny man on a cabaret act.  He admired Astrud Gilberto, so, I wrote him a song to sing in her style, Timid Samba:

This is just another samba
From a land that's never known
Any forceful public speakers
(We've not heard Eva Peron)
When we sing we kind of whisper
As we eat the microphone
In a word: we're timid

I would call you in a heartbeat
If I had some self-esteem
I would force you to apologize
By threatening to scream
But my voice, it has no volume
So the whole thing is a dream
In a word, I'm timid        (He's timid)

Have you heard the rumor that in
Rio you can find a Latin
Breathing contempt and bile?
I am livid and I mean it!
Anybody would have seen it
Seething beneath my smile

As I modulate the key now
It's like saying "hell" or "damn"
Though my rage at you is massive
I'm as passive as a lamb
I can boss a bossa nova
But in relationships I am
In a word, trés timid.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2004, 08:45:46 AM »

I, too, am looking forward to THE INCREDIBLES. I also want to see LEMONY SNICKETS. Annette Bening's new film also seems like it would be interesting.

I failed to mention that I saw Being Julia the other day.  Miss Bening is terrific in it and lovers of the theatre (which includes every Hainesie and Kimlet, I do believe) will get a kick out of the antics that take place in and around a London theatre in the '30s.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 08:52:40 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2004, 08:51:39 AM »

Has any DR used the Ticketmaster service that emails you the tickets and you print them out?

Did it turn out okay?  What do you print the tickets on?  Does it matter?

I've used that process with other ticket providers, but not Ticketmonster.  I just printed the tickets on regular copier/printer paper.

Do note that Ticketmonster adds yet another service charge if you do print the tickets at your printer.  This makes zero sense to me, as you are saving the company the burden of materials, labor and postage.  But then again, neither logic nor friendliness to the customer have ever been factored into the Ticketmonster business model.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2004, 09:10:57 AM »

Did anyone else see the riot squad at Yankee stadium last night?  OMG, that was crazy. How on earth could those players play the game with all those police lining the side of the field.

Jennifer

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2004, 09:15:05 AM »

BK, bagels, cream cheese and lox are NOT junk.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up