Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HERE'S THAT RAINY DAY  (Read 19196 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:HERE'S THAT RAINY DAY
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2004, 12:13:41 PM »

As a fan of the EMI London cast album of CAMELOT with Laurence Harvey and Elizabeth Larner and as the owner of the British vocal score, I will rush to your support, Dear Friend BK.  I'd vote for Liebersen's SOUND OF MUSIC with Mary Martin as the best sounding cast album, and I've loved the OBC CAMELOT recording, with its glorious color foldout, since I bought it as a high school senior.

The London production with Harvey was Lerner's second attempt to fix the show, the film being the third, and the British production incorporated and published in its score the two songs cut from Broadway:  "Fie on Goodness" and "Take Me to the Fair."  Because the British production employed Robert Helpmann as choreographer (it was not a duplication of the Broadway show as most American musicals were in London), it had a new overture and all new dance music.  Because EMI and Norman Newell, I beleive, was the producer and since neither was affiliated with Columbia Records or CBS, they had their own option of what to record.  The Britsh cast of NO NO NANETTE, being on Sony and therefore a CBS affiliate, uses the same cuts and changes that Liebersen made in the OBC.  I think the same is true of BYE BYE BIRDIE.

I do wish the British CAMELOT were released on CD, but I also wish that we'd discover that the OBC CAMELOT tapes in the Columbia vaults have missing materials like "The Persuasion" for M'el Dowd and Roddy McDowell or "The Jousts," which is nearly complete on the London recording.

Dear Friend BK, I don't know what site had this buffoon's comments about the mangled CAMELOT OBC, but he's clearly not just a moron but an uneducated one.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2004, 12:14:51 PM »

I haven't read the mutterings of the idiot who was complaining about the OCR of CAMELOT, but I think it still sounds super smashing (I like it better than GYPSY record-wise), and I've mentioned here before that the original gatefold record jacket was, to my eyes, the richest, most "royal" OCR I ever bought.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2004, 12:17:32 PM »

Burgers?  In general:  a bit of mayo (almost a Secret Garden reference), pickle, lots of onions, ketchup, lettuce...the usual stuff.  Burger places in and around Olympia that I like are Red Robin (chain), Norma's, Eagan's, The American Grill, Dick's Drive-In (only in Seattle, but worth the drive!).  In other words, I like burgers.  I've even had beefalo and buffalo burgers.  Not bad at all.  And Boca burgers are swell, too!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2004, 12:18:05 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
PAGE 3 DANCE!
[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2004, 12:20:00 PM »

Thanks to Goddard Lieberson, we also have the great original cast of CANDIDE.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2004, 12:38:55 PM »

Thanks for the "Bit of Mayo" groan, George.  I'll pass that along to the kid playing "Archibald" at our run-through this eve.  ACK - our first complete run-through, the show sounds fabulous, I hope the orchestra can rise to the occasion when we meet for the first time on Saturday.  It's a work out for those keyboards!!!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2004, 12:39:38 PM »

Should my question to George last night have been directed to Matt H?  Sorry-I had a memory lapse. :-[

I tried posting GOOD TEST VIBES to Michael Shayne last night but lost my connection.  I hope the tests went well today.

MBarnum I have never had a cat blow up like a balloon after fluids. ;D  But then I have never used them on a long term basis before so it is a possibility.  I could feel little bubbles forming on each side of the site.  I won’t give more detail than that. ;)

Thank you Dan (the Man).  “Nurse Jane” is lucky because she will have Keith assisting.   :D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2004, 12:43:59 PM »

I watched the PBS broadway thing.

I loved it but my parents and younger sister - all of whom stuck with it for a good amount of time - eventually gave up.  They all complained that it seemed more like "Intro. to Early 20th Century History" (which they claim to be aware of to a good degree) and less like "Intro. to Early 20th Century Musical Theatre".  In other words, more musicals and less "at the same time this or that was going on".

Meh... I enjoyed it all the same - and especially the stuff on Fanny Brice (who I know very little about!)
Huh?  Say what?

They wanted the entertainment that people enjoyed to be totally divorced from the people it was written for?

Talk about revisionist history, this is the attitude that fosters that abomination.  This is the attitude that says that only what is happening now matters, so if something isn't politically correct now then that means that it was bad back when.  And yes, we've had that happen to a revival not so terribly long ago, when Show Boat had picket lines in front of the theater, protesting the portrayal of blacks and segregation.

DR Emily, tell your parents to grow up!   >:(
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2004, 12:45:38 PM »

Hmmm...I will try this again.

My BK question is: As you are a fan of Ms. Astrud Gilberto, what are your favorite songs that she sings? I love her signature number THE  GIRL FROM IPANEMA, and I really love WHEN THE CRICKETS SING.

Oops (spoo, spelled backwards), sorry.  I love everything she sings.  I just heard her do a great rendition of Here's That Rainy Day, as a matter of fact.  I also love Shadow of your Smile, The Gentle Rain, and Funny World, all from The Shadow of Your Smile album.  And her entire Windy album is spectacularly good.  There is a reason I'm on this kick that has to do specifically with the Windy album, and I'll reveal that reason soon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2004, 12:48:28 PM »

elmore and anyone else who is interested:

the site in question is filmscoremonthly.com.  Go to "message board" then "general discussions" then the "camelot" thread.  

Jane

« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2004, 12:48:38 PM »

DR Jane:  I think Rachael Ray is almost as divoon as Alton Brown.  She is just so bubbly, and exudes personality.  Do try to be at whichever restaurants she is featuring.  She seems to be delightful.

:-[ ;D I had already forgotten who Rachael Ray is.  Until I got to restaurants I was very confused as to why you were telling me this information.  ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2004, 12:54:34 PM »

...To him I'm a "condescending know-it-all".  Sorry.  Not condescending, and I'm only a know-it-all when I actually know things and have expertise in them.  
We need a new word, perhaps "con-ascending", for those who try to elevate others through education.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2004, 12:58:41 PM »

...I'd guess a lot of the audience seeing POTO didn't know a thing about French opera and the Paris Opera convention about a ballet being in every production.
This sounds a lot like the same convention showing up in a lot of American musicals, during the 1940s.

Prototypical American casting for Mme. Giry: Agnes DeMille?

Jane

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2004, 01:02:26 PM »

Bruce why would you save a book you disliked so much, especially when you have to keep it in the garage? ???

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2004, 01:03:13 PM »

Should my question to George last night have been directed to Matt H?  Sorry-I had a memory lapse. :-[

DR Jane: What was the question? Sorry, but I guess I read last night's posts so hurriedly then and this morning, I don't remember any question to DR George or anyone else.

And I can't go back right now and look for it. I've got to get ready to go off to the theater for SOMETHING'S AFOOT.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2004, 01:03:35 PM »

MBarnum I have never had a cat blow up like a balloon after fluids. ;D  
Did anyone else reading this think of Shrek and Fiona blowing up the frog and snake when reading this sentence?

::)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2004, 01:05:32 PM »

I only saved it and many others that I don't have a special affinity for because you can't get more than a buck or two if you sell them, and it's not worth it to me.

Jane

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2004, 01:06:44 PM »

As a child, and a teen, rainy days in L.A. always made me smile.  :) I loved to play in the rain.  Sometimes my father would come home and find me jumping through the puddles and send me inside.  In the front door I went, through the kitchen and out the back door.  Living on the east coast cured me of playing in the rain. ;D

It doesn’t rain as much in Ashland as it does in most of Oregon.  The last three days I have been able to plan my walks during breaks from the rain.  Oh that reminds me.  Echo and I went to the meeting place of our Wednesday morning hiking group and we were the only ones there.  In six years that has never happened.  We had a fun time without them so all was well.

Charles did you find a raincoat for Tewkes?  

Jane

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2004, 01:12:52 PM »

Bruce you could donate the books to the library or other charity and get a tax right off.  You must be worse at saving stuff than I am, but then I have Keith to make me clean junk out once in awhile.  Speaking of cleaning junk out, that is what I should be doing right now.

No one has mentioned ANDROMEDA STRAIN.  The movie was almost identical to the book.  Also there are a couple of adaptations of Jane Austin books which are wonderful.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2004, 01:13:56 PM »

elmore and anyone else who is interested:

the site in question is filmscoremonthly.com.  Go to "message board" then "general discussions" then the "camelot" thread.  

Mr Paddon is Dead Meat!  Wow!!

I've been watching the A&E/BBC VANITY FAIR, written by the screenwriter for the Colin Firth PRIDE AND PREJUDICE.  Miss Sharp is quite the conniving vixen and does Mr Thackeray proud.  Michelle Dotrice, of MARY POPPINS, plays Amelia's mothet.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 01:15:46 PM by elmore3003 »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2004, 01:14:58 PM »

I only saved it and many others that I don't have a special affinity for because you can't get more than a buck or two if you sell them, and it's not worth it to me.
You could always donate them to a library, but given your reaction to the book, perhaps not.  You've never struck me as a cruel sort.

(After posting, read Janes post.  Like minds?)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 01:16:21 PM by S. Woody White »

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2004, 01:18:21 PM »

Burger King has a pretty nice veggie burger. But usually I just order a hamburger without the meat. For some reason, your average fast-food-order-taker has a real problem with that concept, but there you go. Usually when we do fast food, I prefer Del Taco because they have a nice veggie burrito, and the fact that they have Cherry Coke doesn't hurt.

We got to play with clay in my Children's Literature class this morning and I made a bird for my mom. He's a little lopsided and he doesn't have a face per se, but he's cute nonetheless (three words for the price of one).
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2004, 01:26:53 PM »

Mr Paddon is Dead Meat!  Wow!!

I've been watching the A&E/BBC VANITY FAIR, written by the screenwriter for the Colin Firth PRIDE AND PREJUDICE.  Miss Sharp is quite the conniving vixen and does Mr Thackeray proud.  Michelle Dotrice, of MARY POPPINS, plays Amelia's mothet.
Close.  Michelle Dotrice is KAREN Dotrice's sister.  Karen played Jane in Mary Poppins.  Their father is Roy Dotrice, also an actor of note, including Mozart's father in the film Amadeus and "Father" in the TV series Beauty and the Beast.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2004, 01:29:25 PM »

Jane, yes, we have an old yellow rain slicker of Hotspurs that  even has an attached rain cap to it.  We went out in it last night.

At a visit to the vet's, today we found out that Tewkes is an old dog, 8 or older.  Has a heart murmur.  But despite these misrepresentations  by the adoption place, we're becoming attached to the li'l critter and will have for as long as he's here.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2004, 01:31:24 PM »

We got to play with clay in my Children's Literature class this morning and I made a bird for my mom. He's a little lopsided and he doesn't have a face per se, but he's cute nonetheless (three words for the price of one).

That is so sweet.

I believe Burger King sells a Garden Burger.  When we are traveling and I'm desparate I have had it.  I try to eat the burger and leave most of the bread.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2004, 01:35:27 PM »

I was just going to go out to my mail place but the rain was coming down so hard I decided to stay inside and dry.  Here's a view from my front door.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2004, 01:36:21 PM »

Another image, showing the big puddles in the front yard.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2004, 01:37:39 PM »

Charles, I’m glad the rain coat fit.  I could be mistaken, but if he has always had the heart murmur than it might not be a serious problem.  Lucky for Tewkes he has a good home now. :)

Matt H did you read the article on LOST in TV Guide.  Keith said it was interesting.  I still haven’t read it yet but will.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2004, 01:37:56 PM »

Close.  Michelle Dotrice is KAREN Dotrice's sister.  Karen played Jane in Mary Poppins.  Their father is Roy Dotrice, also an actor of note, including Mozart's father in the film Amadeus and "Father" in the TV series Beauty and the Beast.

Well, mercy me, you're right!  I think Michele is also in JOSEPH ANDREWS with Peter Firth.  I last saw Mr Roy Dotrice, I recall, in HAY FEVER with Rosemary Harris.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2004, 01:38:55 PM »

Nice photo's Bruce.  I was sorry I didn't have my camera today as the fall leaves were beautiful.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up