Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HERE'S THAT RAINY DAY  (Read 19221 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:HERE'S THAT RAINY DAY
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2004, 05:13:48 PM »

Woody, the vet wasn't too worried about the heart murmur...as he was the vet for Hotspur...He just said will have to occasionally monitor it and maybe take an x-ray at some point to have a look at his heart.  Spur had a very big heart, as I remember.  Whether Tewkes lives one year or 10, we're in.  We picked him, he's ours, and he's a sweet old guy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2004, 05:16:06 PM »

There is a photo in today's paper of Efrem Zimbalist Jr - who is now in his 80's. Talk about aging well! He looks like the same handsome actor we knew on 77 Sunset Strip - with a white wig and mustache.

Panni

« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2004, 05:18:28 PM »

Whether Tewkes lives one year or 10, we're in.  We picked him, he's ours, and he's a sweet old guy.

I wish all pet owners followed your wonderful philosophy.

Danise

« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2004, 05:20:03 PM »

Evening all.  

I like my hamburgers with lettuce, onion and tomato with mayo.  

I was going to wait until tomorrow and then ask Bruce to tell the story of how the board came to be and then ask everyone here how they got here but you jumped the gun on me.  I wanted to ask how every one “met”—Did you know one another off of the board first?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2004, 05:53:03 PM »

There is a photo in today's paper of Efrem Zimbalist Jr - who is now in his 80's. Talk about aging well! He looks like the same handsome actor we knew on 77 Sunset Strip - with a white wig and mustache.

The picture is from a production of Mr. Tennessee Williams' The Night of the Iguana, which I shall be seeing a week from this Saturday.  Mr. Zimbalist's daughter, Stephanie, also appears in the production.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 06:07:52 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2004, 05:53:17 PM »

Hmm, movies I could watch again and again:

THE TIME MACHINE
TIME AFTER TIME
THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN
Hitchcock's SABOTEUR
DAMN YANKEES
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2004, 06:04:21 PM »

We picked him, he's ours, and he's a sweet old guy.

Dear Dog Roller, who turns 13 1/2 on Saturday, suffers from a thyroid condition, epilepsy, a heart murmur and rather unsightly skin lesions, yet he keeps going and going.  He sleeps quite a bit, but when he's awake, he can still be rather peppy.  Although he had only been doggie-door trained all his life, now that he can no longer negotiate the doggie door due to lack of muscular coordination, he's learned to be house trained.  He has a hearty appetite and continues to crave affection.  I'm not sure how well he'd pull through another "episode," but so long as he is not suffering, he's safe in the bosom of our "family."

Jay

« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2004, 06:11:21 PM »

For the first time in days, I see blue skies over Pasadena.  (Oh.  An Irving Berlin reference.)

Michael

« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2004, 06:18:34 PM »

Just finished reading the posting up to October 11. Did not realize I had been gone for so long.

DR MatT: London Is London can also be found in Bricusses version of Sherlock Holmes with additional lyrics.

I have to beg off for the rest of the night has the pains are starting to become uncomfortable.

Once I have caught up with everything I will let everyone know what happened.
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2004, 06:35:36 PM »

Michael, it is good to have you back.

Panni

« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2004, 07:09:23 PM »

Welcome back, Michael Shayne! Feel better!

Panni

« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2004, 07:10:16 PM »

Thank you for posting the Zimbalist pic, Jay.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2004, 07:29:44 PM »

Jay, yes-thank you.  It is nice father and daughter are working together.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2004, 08:04:20 PM »

Matt H did you read the article on LOST in TV Guide.  Keith said it was interesting.  I still haven’t read it yet but will.

No, not yet. Actually, I was afraid there would be spoilers in the article, and I'm having so much fun with the show that I'd want to kill anyone who gave even an inkling what's going to happen.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2004, 08:08:57 PM »

Movies I can and do watch over and over:

all THE THIN MAN series

all the MISS MARPLE series (with Margaret Rutherford)

EVIL UNDER THE SUN

ALL ABOUT EVE

SUNSET BOULEVARD

EASTER PARADE

DIE HARD

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE

THE WIZARD OF OZ (particularly the laserdisc to get John Fricke's superb running commentary.)

many others that just aren't popping in my head at the moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2004, 08:11:09 PM »

DR MatT: London Is London can also be found in Bricusses version of Sherlock Holmes with additional lyrics.

Yes, DR Michael, I know that very well. SHERLOCK HOLMES is not a great score, but that's a memorable song.

Feel better!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2004, 08:13:08 PM »

Thought of some more that I constantly rerun:

THE THIRD MAN

THE MALTESE FALCON

IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2004, 09:04:56 PM »

Wow!  The Boston Red Sox make an unprecedented comeback to win the pennant against the Yankees!

I'm not one of those people who have conniptions whenever NY wins, but this still fills me with joy.  It give me hope for the upcoming election!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 09:06:44 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2004, 09:44:08 PM »

Other things I hate.  How surly, demanding, and slimy charities and magazines have become of late.  We have a piece of mail from some charity up there that says "second request" , "a favor of a repy is requested".  They send me a piece of unsolicited crap which goes straight into the trash and then spend more of their funds mailing me a second one so they can get all huffy about me not responding to the first one.  Puhleeze!

Today I received in the mail a "FINAL NOTICE" from Entertainment Weekly.  It reads:  "This is the last correspondence we will send you regarding your overdue renewal instructions.  We have contacted you repeatedly about resuming your service and have not received a response."

This is how they think they're going to get me to resubscribe?

I think I'm going to try to have some fun with this.  I'll write them back with some nonsense (a la Jerry Seinfeld's Letters From A Nut).  I'll write some long, rambling and detailed explanation about why I haven't been able to get around to re-ordering Entertainment Weekly.  I'm not sure what the story will involve yet, but I think a coma should be included.  Anyone have some ideas?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2004, 09:52:52 PM »

I guess they're giving it away for free in Tarnation tonight.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2004, 10:03:33 PM »

Tonight I schlepped over to Target to get more Halloween candy and to just browse around.  THey have a small section at the front of the store filled with $1.00 priced items that are trick-or-treats alternatives--things like notebooks, pens and pencils, paddle balls, etc.  What caught my eye were a number of DVDs that each contained two horror movies and a cartoon.  I picked up three.  One contains Nosferatu and Lon Chaney's POTO, the second has Chaney's Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.  I'm not sure of what the first movie is on the third--something like Buckets of Blood--the second feature is The Screaming Skull.  (The only reason I bought this one is that the cartoon feature looks like it's a puppetoon Hansel and Gretel that I sort of remember from when I was a wee one.  And yes, each DVD was only $1.00.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 10:05:42 PM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2004, 10:10:50 PM »

Going for a frenzy here.

Some movies I can watch over and over:

The Quiet Man
Moonstruck
Stage Door
Dr. Zhivago
Singing In The Rain

-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #142 on: October 20, 2004, 10:21:20 PM »

Also at Target I spotted the second SCTV set but, man, it's $54!  And that's the first week sale price.  I'm putting this on my Christmas List and letting Santa get it for me.

I also read that the second season of Northern Exposure is coming out next month, but that it's also priced at over $50 and it contains only seven episodes.  Evidently, they have a lot of licensing fees to pay to many different artists for the music that was played on the show.  I wonder how much the sets are going to cost once they begin encompassing entire 22 episode seasons.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #143 on: October 20, 2004, 10:22:35 PM »

And that, ladies and gentlemen, concludes Dan (the Man)'s frenzy portion of the evening.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2004, 10:42:36 PM »

Had a lovely meal with the Poguester.  I tried something new, which our waitress thought I'd like, the scampi in cream sauce over linguini.  It was way too "fishy" tasting and smelling for me, and for one of the only times in my life I sent it back and got the meat loaf, which was, as always, excellent.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2004, 10:57:38 PM »

Dan, your description of Entertainment Weekly attempts to get you to re-subscribe is exactly what I'm talking.  Intimidation and indignation at your potential customer is always an effective way to procure business.  We had a simply experience with Time.  I no longer subscribe to Time.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2004, 11:08:47 PM »

Dan, I'll be going over to get my new SCTV box at Target.  Just saw it at Amoeba for $79.  I was almost ready to leave when I thought I'd go back and do one more pass at the $4.99 close out bin.  I glanced down at the overflow bins below the regular bins.  There in the front one of the stacks was...NAKED SPACE by our own Mr. Kimmel!  I can't wait! I picked it up along with The boxed set of KEEN EDDIE, a series I liked but could never figure out when it was on, so missed most of it.  Also snared  Lugosi's Dracula which also has the Spanish Dracula on it which was filmed on the same sets as Lugosi's Dracula, but at night after Lugosi and cast went home.  It's reputed to be better than Lugosi's but I've never seen it.  I also got CURSE OF THE DEMON with the uncut, longer British version on it known as THE NIGHT OF THE DEMON.  I love Curse, so I'm looking forward to this!

Dinner was a lark and Mr. Kimmel brought the lovely Julianna Hanson with him who was a delight!  We laughed and laughed and ate and ate!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #147 on: October 20, 2004, 11:17:57 PM »

Good evening, all. DR Sandra gave me the bird, which by my best guess is a clay pigeon. It is lovely.

Re unsolicited mail: It has been a year (yesterday) since my mom died, and I still get several pieces of junk mail weekly. Some I throw out; some I email to remove from the mailing list. At first I would write "She is deceased. Please remove from your mailing list." As time has gone on and the pieces from various mailers keep coming, I have become a bit more blunt. My favorite is the AARP piece which came last week. On the return piece, several options were listed, something on the line of " I am still working; I work part time; I am retired...."   I wrote in "I am dead" and sent it back to them.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: October 20, 2004, 11:18:00 PM »

Yes, Juliana called me around five o'clock and had just taken her singing lesson around the corner from me, and asked me if she could hang until after rush hour.  I was finished with my writing for the day and said sure, then told her I had to leave at sixish to have dinner and she asked if she could tag along and the rest, as they say, is history.  I bought a Sunset+Vine cap after dinner.  Pogue and Juliana got along like a house afire.

Panni

« Reply #149 on: October 20, 2004, 11:24:07 PM »

My favorite is the AARP piece which came last week. On the return piece, several options were listed, something on the line of " I am still working; I work part time; I am retired...."   I wrote in "I am dead" and sent it back to them.

I hope it's not disrespectful to your departed mother, but I laughed out loud at that.

Which reminds me... I was told just yesterday that Bela Lugosi used to live on my street.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up