Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MY BONNIE LIES OVER THE OCEAN  (Read 20083 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MY BONNIE LIES OVER THE OCEAN
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2004, 08:42:36 AM »

Glad to see all these excellent magazine choices.  As I was reading them I thought, "well I hope someone lists some genre magazines" and then a few of you did.  My current favorite is Scarlet Street.  I used to like Filmfax, but it's become a chore to read and I don't like its layout anymore, same with Outre (now incorporated into Filmfax, I think), and I used to love Video Watchdog, which seems less interesting to me these days.  Of the classics - of course the seminal Famous Monsters of Filmland, and I also really liked some of the wackier and lesser-known fanzines like Photon, Markelite (only four issues, which I still have somewhere), Castle of Frankenstein, and a few others of that ilk.  

I also bought Show magazine at the same time as Show Business Illustrated - both were beautifully produced and had great covers - one issue of Show, which I have somewhere, has a glorious and wonderful full-color picture of Harpo on it.  Classic.  I also loved MAD Magazine, the really early issues when it was in comic book format, and then the early issues when it changed to magazine format (I believe issue twenty-four was the first of those).  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2004, 08:45:46 AM »

Here is the conundrum: I have been sent a copy of the Scarlet Street review of Writer's Block, which I'd like to print here today.  In the review, the victim is revealed.  It took me aback when I read it and I asked Richard Valley to do a version where he doesn't reveal it.  But I began to think that it might not be that big a deal - after all, in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd it's not exactly a secret who is going to get offed.  And in Writer's Block, it becomes pretty apparent who is the most loathed person involved in the production they're doing.  So, what do you all think?  I have both versions of the review, but I like his original better.

And for those who are wondering, yes, Virginia, he really loved the book, for which I'm very grateful.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2004, 08:51:03 AM »

DR BK,

For what it's worth, I say take the safer route and use the revised review - even if it's no big deal to reveal the victim's name. If the revelation took you aback - even for a moment - it may have the same effect on other readers.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2004, 08:59:25 AM »

Well hmmmmmmmm....I think.....hmmmmmmmm....I guess I would NOT want to know before I read the book....  I know someone is going to get killed, but of course that means from the beginning everyone else is merely a suspect!

Can't the review without the NAME be as good?

But that is just MY opinion.

CASTLE OF FRANKENSTEIN - I only found ONE issue of this magazine, but I still have it.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2004, 09:05:57 AM »

The sun is out, and the streets are drying up.

I guess there are arguments both ways - in Roger Ackroyd you clearly know it's he who will be offed (and it doesn't happen for quite a few chapters).  In other books you don't know who the victim is going to be, and in other books it's quite clear.  In Writer's Block it does become fairly clear, early on, who most people in the book don't like.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2004, 09:07:02 AM »

And yes, both versions of the review are very close in content - he only changed specific references to the victim's name.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2004, 09:17:02 AM »

Regarding SHOW MUSIC, from what I understand Max is still in litigation with Goodspeed but that it will be back some day.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2004, 09:18:58 AM »

I enjoyed KEEN EDDIE as well.  The 'fish out of water' story has always been a favorite of mine.

And Mark Valley was always a pleasure to watch in action. Of course, he's on BOSTON LEGAL now, but I can't stand that show.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2004, 09:19:49 AM »

BK,

If you decide to go with the original version, then perhaps RV should mention that he's not spoiling anything.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2004, 09:21:08 AM »

Magazines:  I currently subscribe to The Advocate and Better Homes and Gardens (since becoming a homeowner, I thought this was a good idea).

I used to subscribe to OUT (til I figured out that I was way too old for it), New York (which was much better in the 70s), Martha Stewart Living, Variety (for a short period of time, after which I would just read the office copy), Bon Appetit, TheatreWeek and InTheatre.  At least I think that's it.  

I grew up in a household that got Time (and or Newsweek; it seemed to change every once in a while), LIFE (I still remember the cover celebrating Miss Taylor Hilton Wilding Todd Fisher Burton Burton Warner Fortensky's 40th birthday), and as memory serves, Reader's Digest.  And there was always Mad Magazine in the house, though I don't recall if it was through a subscription or not.

At newsstands, on occasion, I will (or used to) pick up an Esquire, a Vanity Fair, an After Dark (toward the end of its being published), and sometimes a Men's Health.

Not for nothing, but I just picked up a copy of the Times, and was quite distressed (in principle) that ABC has dropped the MISS AMERICA pageant from its schedule for next year.  It certainly became a shadow of its former self in its few years back on ABC, but not having the ability to see this celebration of scholarship in sequins on television is ....  well, I don't know if I have the words to relate how saddened I am.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2004, 09:22:03 AM »

I'd rather not know who the victim is to be until I read the book. Agatha Christie obviously wanted readers to know ahead of time about Roger Ackroyd, but she didn't often reveal the victim in the titles or early pages of the book and often, part of the mystery was that we suspected the WRONG person had been murdered.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2004, 09:47:07 AM »

In my younger days, I enjoyed reading Mad Magazine, Highlights (at the dentist's office) and Boy's Life (at the school library.)  I also recall looking at Esquire, before it was revamped, at the public library.  In those days they ran ads for "artistic" photography collections (if you catch my drift) in the back pages.  Later, I enjoyed Esquire's "Dubious Achievement Awards" feature.

I used to read the New Yorker religiously, but haven't done so in years.

Currently I take the Advocate, Out and Los Angeles Magazine, which usually contains 200 pages of advertisements for things I cannot afford, 50 pages of editorial copy that aim to preserve the stereotypical view that so many people have of Los Angeles (aromatherapy for your illegal, but chic, pet ferret anyone?) and at least one well-written, hard-hitting piece of investigative journalism.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2004, 09:48:31 AM »

Confidential to Dear Brother/Dear Reader Stuart:  Youth is a state of mind, m'dear.

:D
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2004, 09:50:15 AM »

BK, I browse Video Watchdog now and then at the newstand but usually don't buy. I missed the issue that had the interview with Edith Scobb (is the correct name) from your fave EYES WITHOUT A FACE. Did you see that issue/interview?

...and I understand the current issue has an interview with little Donnie Dunagan from SON OF FRANKENSTEIN/BAMBI/TOWER LONDON which I think would be fun to read. I have yet to find that issue on the newstands, however.

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2004, 09:51:35 AM »

...Also, BK, in what way do you find Filmfax difficult to read now? I guess I hadn't noticed any change. I love that magazine (and of course I have had a few interviews published in it...with several more to come!!...and they pay me promptly which makes me a very happy writer!).

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2004, 10:02:37 AM »

Confidential to Dear Brother/Dear Reader Stuart:  Youth is a state of mind, m'dear.

:D

Confidential to DB/DR Jay:  I never said I didn't feel young.  After all, I have the feeling that time has halted.  I'd like two straws and a chocolate malted....(oooh, a MAME reference).

My implication was that no matter how young I feel, I am still not the audience that OUT is trying to capture.  By the time I gave up my subscription, I couldn't recall the last time I had actually read an article in the periodical.  One too many ads targeting -- you should pardon the expression -- circuit queens interrupted the editorial content.  Like the difference between gay and homosexual, it's a lifestyle choice.

The Advocate is much more my speed, intellectually, between the two.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2004, 10:04:42 AM »

Ironically (not unlike the happenstance from the other day), AOL Radio/Showtune station just started playing "That's How Young I Feel" as soon as I hit "Post."

This is getting to be spooky, like seeing my birthdate on clocks and scoreboards.........

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2004, 10:14:28 AM »

BK, I would say definitely post the review WITHOUT the spoiler.  I hate reviews that give too much away.

Also, can you repost the link for the website. I missed it and would like to check it out.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2004, 10:18:15 AM »

DR MattH re: the Lost article and the spoilers.

I read the ones that were posted online, and they are not spoilers at all.  In fact they have very little to do with the show at all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2004, 10:19:11 AM »

I find the Filmfax layout and fonts difficult to read.  I think it's the same they've always done, but my eyes aren't the same.  That said, I have the first sixty-five issues beautifully bound and I wouldn't be without them.  I have the entire run of Scarlet Street, all bound, including the elusive number one.  I have bound complete bound volumes of Video Watchdog as well.  I do have the Edith Scob issue of VW.  It was really fun to read her interview.

Well, the consensus is to have the non-reveal version of the Scarlet Street review, so it follows forthwith.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2004, 10:22:54 AM »

Here is Richard Valley's Scarlet Street review.  It is the non-reveal version.  Of course, one never knows what other reviewers will reveal or not reveal and I'll have no control - which is why I rarely read reviews of mysteries.  But, I thought you all would appreciate seeing the first:

Bruce Kimmel puts his talent for evoking the past, utilized so winningly in his nostalgic Benjamin Kritzer trilogy, to a sinister new purpose in Writer’s Block, a witty, disturbing murder mystery set in the late 1960s.

Broadway is the setting, and the plot revolves around a new musical called BUS AND TRUCK, a sort of KISS ME KATE combo of backstage antics and show-within-a-show. The year is 1969. We follow the first reading of the script (at which the librettist, songwriter, producer, director, and cast all realize that, while the first act is socko, the second is a lox) to rehearsals in the Bronx, then on to out-of-town tryouts in New Haven and Boston, back to Manhattan for previews, and finally to opening night—where producer Conrad Ballinger steps out on the stage during the curtain calls and dramatically proclaims that a key member of the BUS AND TRUCK production team is dead.

Sound familiar? Producer David Merrick did just that very thing on August 25, 1980, when he announced to the stunned cast and opening-night audience of 42ND STREET that the show’s choreographer and director, Gower Champion, had died. Ah, but here’s the catch—Champion died of a rare blood cancer; the novel’s decedent dies in a fire, the tragic result of falling asleep with a lit cigarette. That’s what the police say, anyway, but librettist Arthur Myerson begins to ponder, and what he ponders is whether the much-loathed, sexually masochistic victim—who threatened Ballinger with the disruption of the show, who seduced and harassed both chorus girl Allison and chorus boy Eddie, who fought bitterly with director Galen Chapman—was murdered.

The events that take place in Writer’s Block are a dizzying, exhilarating blend of fact and fiction. Galen Chapman is, of course, based on Champion (with a flash of Fosse). BUS AND TRUCK’s veteran stars Mary Masters and Robert O’Brien recall Mary Martin and Robert Preston, who actually costarred on Broadway in I DO! I DO! (1966). Songwriter Stanley Sherman is sort of an Even Stephen—namely, Sondheim and Schwartz—but it’s Arthur Myerson who, like Sondheim, loves to play games. Arthur also loves to write song parodies, including one for a musical version of PSYCHO (sung to the tune of “I’m Lovely” from A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM):

I’m Psycho
What I am is Psycho
I’m a little Psycho in my head
Shower
You don’t want to shower
Or within the hour
You’ll be dead.

The novel’s murder isn’t based on an actual crime, but so vividly does Kimmel bring the period to life, so deftly does he weave imaginary events with genuine theater history—Mary Martin’s difficulties remembering her lines, Stephen Schwartz’s conflict with Bob Fosse during the 1972 production of PIPPIN, David Merrick’s shocking revelation—that even the most learned show biz aficionado will wonder how the news of a brash young Broadwayite’s fiery finish ever escaped his knowledge.

Writer’s Block is extraordinarily clever throughout, but never more so than when Kimmel performs some theatrical sleight of hand in a manner that’s positively Hitchcockian. The Master of Suspense, who in such classic thrillers as THE 39 STEPS (1935), STAGE FRIGHT (1950), and TORN CURTAIN (1966) explored the ever deceptive world of the theater, would have smiled. And so will you.

—Richard Valley

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2004, 10:41:50 AM »

Very nice review!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2004, 10:43:36 AM »

When The Lovely Wife was President of Friends of the Hollywood Library, we used to pick up books for book sales and I got to cherry-pick through them for first choice.  In that manner, I acquired large collection of THEATRE ARTS magazines from about '48 to '64.  Many of the years are complete runs, some are missing an issue or two, but they're great and, of course, most have a complete play in them.  

I also have some SHOW BUSINESS ILLUSTRATEDs which my father had bought.  I have a lot of issues of SHOW from its various incarnations and sizes.  I regularly bought AFTER DARK until it just got so blatantly gay in its focus and content, but it was for awhile a wonderful show business magazine.  

I bought or subscribed to THEATRE WEEK until it went under.  Unfortunately, I did not save a lot of these issues.  I subscribed to the British mag PLAYS INTERNATIONAL...and still would probably but, unlike most mags, they would never sent me a renewal notice, so I'd just forget when it ran out and not renew.  I'll pick up a PLAYS & PLAYERS occasionally.  I still have most of my old AFI AMERICAN FILM magazines when it was offered with your membership.

PLAYBOY was around our house and on the coffee table since I was about five or six, my father had no problem with us looking at it as he thought the human body a beautiful thing.  It was a big deal for my brothers and I to anxiously await for Dad to come up from a business trip and hope that the latest issue of PLAYBOY was in his suitcase.  As I said the other day, I bought it all through college and later subscribed right up until recently.  Although the latest issue just came the other day, so maybe they've extended my subscription without asking or it doesn't run out for another month or so.

LOOK, SATURDAY EVENING POST, & LIFE were also on the living room coffee table and I loved all three.  My father had a collection of NATIONAL GEOGRAPHICS from before he was born going back to 1910 that I think still sit mouldering in the storage shed out back of the family home.  I was never a big reader of this though.

I have a nice collection from my youth of CREEPY, EERIE, & VAMPIRELLA. Never was a FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND freak.  I too have one issue of CASTLE OF FRANKENSTEIN...I think it has an article on Edgar Rice Burroughs in it.

I've collected THE BURROUGHS BULLETIN, official magazine of the Burroughs Bibliophiles on and off since the sixties.  And since its reincarnation in the 80's, I have every issue.  I also collected ERB-dom, ERBania, the Barsoomian, and a few other Burroughs fanzines.  Also AMRA which was a very high-tone literary fanzine devoted to Robert E. Howard and sword & sorcery in general.  Well-known fantasy authors often contributed as well as fantasy artists.

I've collected a few pulps and old mags from the thirties and forties.  Particularly liked LIBERTY (also bought this when it was briefly revived in the 70's), COLLIERS (boght for Sax Rohmer stories in them), ADVENTURE, WEIRD TALES, also FAMOUS FANTASTIC MYSTERIES from the 50's.

I occasionally get on a binge where I buy house design, architectural, or home decor magazines.

I remember MAD fondly from my youth.  Was a regular reader.  A few years back bought the entire run on computer discs up to 1998.  So I can revisit this any time I want.  Lovely.

Today I subscribe to MYSTERY SCENE MAGAZINE, CINCINNATI MAGAZINE, MEN'S HEALTH, and I get THE DRAMATIST, AMERICAN THEATRE, and WRITTEN BY by being a member of  The Dramatist Guild, TCG, and the WGA.  I also like my Equity News.

We also subscribe to THE WEEK, which may be the best capsule news mag around.

I occasionally pick up a LONDON TIME OUT, to keep abreast of the doings there, though the internet has pretty much made that unnecessary anymore.

Ben

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2004, 10:58:18 AM »

DR Stuart said:

"no matter how young I feel, I am still not the audience that OUT is trying to capture.  By the time I gave up my subscription, I couldn't recall the last time I had actually read an article in the periodical.  One too many ads targeting -- you should pardon the expression -- circuit queens interrupted the editorial content.  Like the difference between gay and homosexual, it's a lifestyle choice.

My thoughts exactly. I read the magazine in the early days and thought it excellent. When the big change over took place they lost me as a reader. I can get much better, up-to-date information and news from other more reliable sources (IMHO-in my humble opinion).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2004, 11:02:13 AM »

My 2 cents worth:  In a murder mystery, it's obvious SOMEbody has to die...it's the figuring out whodunnit that is the key.

However, if the initial chapters lay out a plot in which the reader comes to loathe the intended victim, and possibly several other people, and is given reason to suspect any number of the other characters once it happens, I'd rather ENJOY the suspense of who will get killed...after all, it may not always be the most loathsome person.

So it really depends upon intent of the writer.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 11:16:37 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2004, 11:05:43 AM »

For all who read LIFE in their childhoods...especially the in 1950s and 60s (and you KNOW who you are!!!):

Does anybody recall a feature they did (it truly captured my attention at the time) about three (or four) children who had been rescued from lving in the attic of their home where their parents had secreted them?  They were all in their teens -- from 12 to 17, if memory serves, but they all looked like they were between 5 and 7 years old because they had been deprived of sunlight and, sadly, basic nutrition, although they had been fed.  There were many photos and the article, IIRC, said that the children had responded to care and had started growing a bit and putting on weight since authorities had stepped in and removed them from the home.

I've been a bit haunted by that story all these years...and have often wondered how those kids responded to treatment/exposure to the world in the following years.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2004, 11:08:24 AM »

The review makes me want to read the book.  I guess that is the point! Hehehehe.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2004, 11:08:43 AM »

For the cognoscenti:  Re: the PBS look at the Broadway musical -- did they, or did they not, present "Show Boat" as the first book musical in the opening episode?  And did someone (Sondheim?) not say that Broadway's history is divided in two segments -- everything BEFORE "Show Boat" and everything AFTER "Show Boat"?

If I am correct about "Show Boat" being a book musical (and if it isn't considered that, why isn't it???), what's the deal with the second night's assertion stating that "Oklahoma!" was the first book musical ever, and the first time that the songs advanced the story?  And if that is what they said, why do the songs in "Oklahoma!" advance the story any moreso than the songs in "Show Boat"????

Enquiring minds...etc., etc, and so forth.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2004, 11:10:07 AM »

I don't remember that LIFE story RLP...the ones from LIFE I remember most vividly are the Kennedy assassination issues and the issues about the Space Program!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2004, 11:18:05 AM »

Great review! Congrats!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up