Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MY BONNIE LIES OVER THE OCEAN  (Read 20403 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MY BONNIE LIES OVER THE OCEAN
« on: October 21, 2004, 12:01:25 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're feeling very Scottish and bonnie, and now it is time for you to post until the bonnie cows come home to Brigadoon.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 12:06:53 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:MY BONNIE LIES OVER THE OCEAN
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 12:33:05 AM »

Well, laddie, I used to love the old LIFE magazine when I was a kid. I still remember certain covers and articles. I remember how excited I'd be when I'd sit down with a new issue.
One magazine I miss is Scenario. They published entire scripts of great movies, with wonderful illustrations and excellent interviews. I think they lasted 3 or 4 years. I have every issue.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 12:39:54 AM »

I've never been much of a magazine reader but I do miss "Show Music".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 04:05:12 AM »

Yes, I loved LIFE and especially LOOK - it published the greatest photos of Lucille Ball!  And they usually had more than one cover subject!

INTHEATRE or whatever that weekly magazine was called - and I think after it folded there was a magazine that came along doing the same thing, but it folded as well....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....now I have to think.

What great posts and photos yesterday!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 04:05:27 AM »

DRJAY you have a video tape to look at!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 04:34:23 AM »

A bright young Scottish lad named Ian had the opportunity to go to university in London. So he packed his bags and said good-bye to his mother and left the highlands for the big city.

After the first week his mother called to see how her boy was holding up.

"I love it here Mother," Ian told her, "but these English students are the oddest people ever! Why the boy who lives in the dormitory room next to me bangs his head against the wall until midnight every night. And the boy in  the room above me stomps around until midnight every night. And the boy right below me blasts his stereo until midnight every night."

"Why don't you complain to the Dean of students?" asked his mother.

"Well, it doesn't bother me much," answered Ian. "I'm usually up until that time anyway practicing my bagpipes."
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 04:35:51 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 04:48:29 AM »

Good morning, all!

DRD-I-T, LOL :o

Scottish mallow?  The only mallow I know, besides the swampy marsh mallow, is the Rakes of Mallow, and that's an Irish tune.

Magazines  I miss:
I still miss THEATRE ARTS, and the temptation to clutter my life with more back issues of magazines is overwhelming whenever I see any for sale.  For many years, THEATRE ARTS was the only source for libretti to LITTLE MARY SUNSHINE and ONCE UPON A MATTRESS.  I don't think anyone cared much that they also published the libretto to MY DARLIN' AIDA.

SHOW BUSINESS ILLUSTRATED:  I still remember the readers' letters debating CARNIVAL vs THE SOUND OF MUSIC and Patrick Dennis' LITTLE ME was published there in instalments.

I miss INTHEATRE because there's nothing current on the newsstands  to overpraise some of the lackluster revivals and hype the paltriness of the current Broadway scene.  

SHOW MUSIC:  I still don't know how that one died, and I'm sure Max Preeo's  and Goodspeed's reasons differ greatly for its demise.

I still love and read faithfully each issue of OPERA NEWS, GRAMOPHONE, FANFARE, AMERICAN RECORD GUIDE (even though it's conservative attitude drives me mad!), SCARLET STREET and FILM SCORE MONTHLY.

In closing, I must say I owe FANFARE a great debt:  if it hadn't been for an interview they published with Bay Cities' Bruce Kimmel, I would never have telephoned him and I would have lost out on a very Dear Friend.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

beckon

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 05:17:54 AM »

MAGAZINES

MAD - I grew up with it and found it to be consistently (gasp) intelligent in its humor.

SHOW MUSIC - Yes, you can find all the info on the internet, but I still miss this magazine.

The only magazines I get now are puzzle magazines.  I am a great fan of crosswords, anacrostics, and certain number puzzles.  The DELL and PENNY PRESS brand and GAMES are my favorites.
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 05:19:12 AM »

I used to love Gourmet magazine, but now I buy it only occasionally. A couple of months ago I picked up the issue with a cover that featured "Great Snacks!" The contents page also had a picture and a recipe teaser for "Great Snacks!" Turned out that the "Great Snacks!" were a pathetic few lumped together on the last page of the magazine.

I always look forward to The New York Times magazine.

For long subway trips I like to read People magazine or The New Yorker. (Nora Ephron once said she picks up People magazine to read on a plane, but finishes it long before boarding.)

Mad magazine was a childhood favorite. It still makes me laugh.

I like Famous magazine, which is distributed here in Famous Players movie theatres.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 05:20:14 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Ben

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 05:22:03 AM »

Most magazines have fallen off my radar. I find Time and Newsweek more uninformative than anything else. I find the current crop of GLBT magazines silly and empty. Out, Genre and the like are not aimed at me. When I have had the occasion to peruse them, I realize, yet again, why I would not subscribe to them. When I do "read" a magazine, it's more of a browse, actually. I will still sit and read an article in the New Yorker when I come across an interesting piece and when I subscribed to Harper's I would read it  but the subscription expired, and strangely enough, I got no notice saying I needed to renew. I just realized a few months ago that it had stopped coming and when I looked at an old issue, realized that it had expired.  I do fill my geek void with a subscription to PC World. It's a good magazine and I've used information from it to help with computer issues.

I did love the old Life and Look magazines and the previously mentioned Show Music, Theatre Arts and Show Business Illustrated. The magazine I dearly loved, though, was After Dark. Oh, my, the pictures and articles and innuendo to a young man growing up in Coon Rapids, Minnesota ;) Heading to Shinder's in downtown Minneapolis to purchase a copy (it was the only place to find it) was always a treat.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 05:39:10 AM »

I did love the old Life and Look magazines and the previously mentioned Show Music, Theatre Arts and Show Business Illustrated. The magazine I dearly loved, though, was After Dark. Oh, my, the pictures and articles and innuendo to a young man growing up in Coon Rapids, Minnesota ;) Heading to Shinder's in downtown Minneapolis to purchase a copy (it was the only place to find it) was always a treat.

DRBen, when Richard Buck, of the NYPL Theatre Collection, retired and left New York, I bought his entire run of AFTER DARK magazines, so you'll have to come over and check them out.  The magazine was an amazing entertainment history - with a definite gay perspective - of 1969-1983(?).  I look at them now, laugh at the fashion, and sadly remember all the singer/actor/dancer/models who are no longer with us.  I believe the NYPL Theatre Collection now owns the copyright to all the Ken Duncan photos.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 05:51:31 AM »

Hi All y'all.  I need to go make toast, but I just wanted to let you know I'm back. You know what that means, don't you--- Bad typing, pithy sayings, and genuine affection for you.
I like boat races.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 05:55:57 AM »

Hi All y'all.  I need to go make toast, but I just wanted to let you know I'm back. You know what that means, don't you--- Bad typing, pithy sayings, and genuine affection for you.

Gosh, we missed you Kerry! Welcome back. (And, yes, I'm getting respect from Archie.)

Ben

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 05:56:19 AM »

KERRY!!!

It's so good to have you back, young man.

I'm looking forward to bad typing, pithy sayings, and genuine affection.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 05:58:35 AM »

From today's NY Times.

Correction:

Because of an editing error ... an article about a memorial to Veronica Lake ... misidentifed the judge in a look-alike contest who dressed in pink ostrich feathers and eight-inch heels. The judge was a drag queen known as Esther Gin - not Laura Levine, an artist and antiques store owner.

Kerry

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 06:00:19 AM »

And yes, After Dark was an education for me--  like college, only prettier.

I miss the women's magazines when they used to have aerticles about how to make an A-;ine dress from Butterick and had recipes and sappy stories and cute cartons.   I used to see those at my Grnadmother's house and woud read them to keep quiet while my grandfather took a nap.  Now al those same magazines teach you how to have better orgasms and how tot tell if your husband is cheating on you.

But, I don't really seem to be a part of this world anyway.  I still get TV Guide, and I rarely know who anyone is on the cover.  I am definitely out of it.  Two weeks in a row I thought it was the same cover-these prettty plastic vapid people who were gettting married-- then I relaized it was two different couples--neither of whom I had heard of.
The world has a lot of 'splainin' to do.
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2004, 06:05:35 AM »

Before I'm out the door, I wanted to comment on this PBS Broadway Musical history that's been playing.  I've purchased but not yet received the DVDs, and a lot of the secondary footage I saw last night distressed me.   For example, the shots of "Summertime" from PORGY AND BESS were not from the opera and the arrangement for soprano and the chorus, as well as the orchestration, were not original.  There were sections of OKLAHOMA! clearly from some tv special with the chorus looking like Dogpatchers.  Was that John Raitt singing Curly, although I thought the singer had a European accent or something peculiar with his pronunciation.  

On the other hand, seeing the footage of Tess Gardella and Helen Morgan in SHOWBOAT, Bert Williams and Eubie Blake from the first evening and Ethel Waters last night was wonderful.  So much was great, but too brief for me, and it was nice to see friends like Ted Chapin and Robert Kimball strutting their stuff.  It's hard to cram 100 years into 6 hours, and I wish we'd gotten more like 10 hours and a less simplified history.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2004, 06:50:21 AM »

BK - Have some Scotch Broth and use some Scotch Tape.

JRand... there were 2 different but very similar weekly magazines in the 90s... THEATRE WEEK followed by IN THEATRE.  Both were good but too specialized to really make a go of it.  

I, too, have every issue of SCENAREO and they owe me money for three unpublished issues (which I'll never see).

I definitely remember the wonderful SHOW BUSINESS ILLUSTRATED from 1961-2.  One problem was that a magazine named SHOW also began publishing at the same time and there was no room for two similar magazines so they both folded.  I used to like ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, but it gradually changed from a general magazine to a magazine aimed specifically at the 18-25 year old set.

New York City Opera has announced its cast for their  R&H CINDERELLA next month:
   Sarah Uriate Berry as Cinderella
   Lea DeLaria as Stepsister Joy
   John "Lypsinka" Epperson as the Stepmother
   Ana Gasteyer as Stepsister Portia
   Eartha Kitt as the Fairy Godmother
   Christopher Sieber as the Prince
   Renee Taylor as the Queen
   Dick Van Patten as the King
   Directed & Choreographed by Baayork Lee

It sounds like the typical cast of an AIDS benefit, not an NYCO production.

Regarding BROADWAY, THE AMERICAN MUSICAL - I have seen all six hours plus the five hours of extras.  While some of what is omitted from the televised version is covered by the "talking heads" in the extras, the main problem is that they tried to cover too much in a short amount of time and had to leave out way too much.  If they could give something like twelve hours to the Civil War that only lasted four years, then they should give a documentary that covers over 100 years more time.  However the DVD is a must if only for two of the extras:  the complete twelve minute "bench scene" from CAROUSEL with original stars John Raitt and Jan Clayton; and a long segment where Sondheim, Weidman and Frank Rich discuss "Someone In A Tree" followed by the four original cast members who sang this performing it around the piano (played by SS) in Sondheim's apartment.  I kept waiting for his neighbor Miss Hepburn to drop by.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2004, 06:56:41 AM »

Or, as Walt Kelly put it,

Ma Booney Lice Soda Devotion

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2004, 07:03:14 AM »

I do loves magazines, I do.

As a wee laddie, I looked forward to monthly issues of Jack and Jill (published right here in Philly), Humpty Dumpty and Famous Monsters of Filmland (and eventually, the illustrated "adult" horror magazines Creepy, Eerie and Vampirella--had to hide those from mom.)  Of course, there was Mad, too (and an occaisional issue of Cracked.)

I also enjoyed the mags my parents bought.  Life, Look, National Geographic, Reader's Digest.  My dad's Popular Mechanics and my mom's Woman's Day and Family Circle.

Since I looked a little older than I was at the time, I was able to buy Playboy at some newsstands when I was just 15.  Aside from the obvious attractions, I found myself actually reading the articles and fiction.  Playboy was really an excellant magazine to read back then (late 70s to early 80s.)  I'm sorry I missed it during it's 60s heyday.

I picked up an odd issue here and there of National Lampoon, but I didn't all together get the humor.  I think I mostly bought it to look at the ads for posters.

I had subscriptions to Time and Newsweek, Analog, Ellery Queen Mystery Digest, and Alter Ego (an early comicbook fanzine.)  During the 80s I was crazy for New York Magazine, along with Games and Rolling Stone and The New Yorker.

I've already talked here about TV Guide, a magazine I used to love when it had truely informative listings and articles that were actually worth reading.

There have been some great theatre oriented publications, now gone:  Show Music, TheatreWeek and InTheatre.  For a brief time there was an arts mag called Horizon that had extensive theatre coverage.  The only mags I see out there now are American Theatre (too academic for me) and PlayBill (too much fluff.)

Nowadays, I like Men's Health, Esquire, Outside, GQ and Men's Journal.  Some guilty pleasures include Real Simple, Wired, Vanity Fair and Entertainment Weekly.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2004, 07:09:34 AM »

Was that John Raitt singing Curly, although I thought the singer had a European accent or something peculiar with his pronunciation.  

I caught only parts of the PBS broadcast, but I think it was Hugh Jackman as Curly.

Thanks for pointing out the DVD extras, WEL.

Julie Andrews' diction is as impeccable as ever, and she is certainly an American Musical treasure. Still, I think I would have preferred a non-Brit-accented host. (I had to smile when Julie talked about the Lower EAST Side, with the emphasis on the middle word. That's surely not the way my mom (who grew up on Rivington St.) said it.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 07:26:46 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2004, 07:09:35 AM »

Hey, welcome back Kerry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of my favorite magazines were, and are, movie related. I have suscribed to Filmfax since around 1989 and I have suscribed to Classic Images for about 6 or 7 years. I also pick up Films of the Golden Age, Cult Films, and Scarlet Street when they have something of interest in them.

There used to be a magazine called Hollywood: Then and Now which I enjoyed but haven't seen it since the early 90s. When I was a kid TV Guide and Famous Monsters of Filmland were a must.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2004, 07:23:18 AM »

VARIETY has been a fixture with me since I was a pre-teen. I have been a subscriber ever since, despite the alarmingly high rates they now charge. I give in to this indulgence, but I'm not sure for how much longer. I think the on-line subscription (which is free if you subscribe to the periodical) is $68, and that might be more my speed.

AFTER DARK holds a fond place in my memory; my first gay publication, but so discreetly so that I could leave it out in my room without fear.

Wish I had seen SHOW BUSINESS ILLUSTRATED. I do remember SHOW fondly, but it didn't last very long.

Yep, MAD was always a favorite, and I used it with my own students to teach them what parody and satire were. By my final years of teaching, I had few students who even knew what MAD magazine was. I guess it was still kept in business by baby boomers like me.

When I was a kid, Disney started publishing WALT DISNEY Magazine to coincide with THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUB and publicise their features and other TV shows (ZORRO, DISNEYLAND). I just LIVED for that magazine to come out. Was always a pushover for anything Disney back then.

Really, really miss SHOW MUSIC. I wish Max could get it back up and running again. I feel every day like I'm missing some marvelous theater music news or upcoming releases because that magazine isn't there to keep me informed. And it goes without saying that I miss THEATER WEEK and IN THEATER.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2004, 07:25:29 AM »

I currently subscribe to TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, OUT, and THE ADVOCATE (along with VARIETY). I also take SOUND & VISION (about home theater/HDTV, much less now about music than it used to be), STEREOPHILE's GUIDE TO HOME THEATER, and WIDESCREEN REVIEW.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2004, 07:41:22 AM »

Also wanted to make a comment re Charles Pogue's mention of KEEN EDDIE last night.

It was probably my favorite new show of the last two years other than the current LOST, and Fox's handling of it was nothing short of criminal. It's a funny, exciting, and dryly witty show unlike ANYTHING on American television now. Didn't surprise me that it didn't catch on, but it's the closest thing we've had to THE AVENGERS in many decades.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2004, 07:43:14 AM »

DR Jane, I did finally read (carefully) that article on LOST in TV GUIDE, and was SO grateful they inserted a spoiler warning before I read further. I skipped that entire spoiler section.

For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would want to know things that are going to happen in an adventure show ahead of time. Part of the fun (at least for me) is experiencing the shock and surprise as it happens first hand.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2004, 08:08:17 AM »

And on today's Scottish-themed environment, I put the DVD of BRIGADOON into the player the other day after I watched SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS. They were both 1954 MGM musicals with BROTHERS surprising everyone by being a far bigger hit at the box-office than the Broadway triumph.

Anyway, the news about a remastered special edition of BRIGADOON coming in 2005 is good news, but this current release looks very good, even if it isn't anamorphic. I synched up the last laserdisc release of BRIGADOON (contained in the GENE KELLY COLLECTION laserdisc boxed set), and both picture and stereo sound were far better on the DVD. The DVD also goes to the extreme sides of the Cinemascope frame (2.55:1 for this early CInemascope release) while the laserdisc shaved off just a hair from the left side.

The new anamorphic DVD next year should look stunning.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2004, 08:20:38 AM »

Oh yes currently SCARLET STREET -even if it doesn't have a review I have written.  My only subscriptions are SS and Movieline (now called something else) and once that subscription expires, I will not renew.

The SATUDAY EVENING POST had the best advertisements for the new model cars....big two page spreads for Buicks and Cadillacs and Fords, etc.

MAD magazine always made me laugh.  And of course I always bought comic books including SUPERMAN (especially if there was a story about Krypton) and the horror comics when they were published.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2004, 08:21:08 AM »

hi kerry!

LOL DiT - funny joke.

And I wonder who demanded the correction, Laura OR Esther.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2004, 08:39:08 AM »

I enjoyed KEEN EDDIE as well.  The 'fish out of water' story has always been a favorite of mine.

And just a reminder - tomorrow will be the 62nd birthday of Miss Annette Funicello!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up