Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE DAY AT A TIME  (Read 20562 times)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
Re:ONE DAY AT A TIME
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2004, 09:30:52 AM »

Speaking of turkeys...

Last night I went to the Musical Theatre Guild's semi-staged concert presentation of Redhead.  

'Splain sunthin to me Lucy (Oh.  A sort of reference to the topic of the day):  How, how, how (that is three hows) in the world did that mess win Best Musical Tony over Flower Drum Song and...Gypsy?!?!?!?!

Unmemorable music.  Pedestrian lyrics.  A weak book by a committee of four.  The performance wasn't helped by a cast that apparently was trying to compensate for the weak material by overdoing their lines and songs.  Not one of my happiest nights at the MTG.

Dear Brother, REDHEAD didn't win the Best Musical Tony (R) over GYPSY.

That honor would be shared by a tie between THE SOUND OF MUSIC and FIORELLO, in 1960, not 1959.

But, yes, REDHEAD won over FLOWER DRUM SONG.  Which was not much liked at its premiere, whereas the magic of Verdon and Fosse transcended the muck that is REDHEAD.

Can you say FOLLIES/TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA?  ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2004, 09:31:39 AM »

What else was nominated in the Redhead year, just out of curiousity.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2004, 09:36:58 AM »

IF you would like to find more things wrong with the 1959 Tony Awards (R), you might want to note that Elaine Stritch wasn't even nominated for GOLDILOCKS, while two of her supporting players walked away with awards for their performances.

Methinks the nominating process was much different then, since there are far fewer musical acting nominees than those of their straight play counterparts.  And with only three nominees for Best Musical that year, you would think there would have been room for GOLDILOCKS there as well.  Unless there was Kerr backlash......

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2004, 09:39:27 AM »

Only three nominees?  Stuart, is there a list of the musicals that opened that season?  I'd suspect there was more than Goldilocks that should have been up.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2004, 09:39:45 AM »

Dear Brother, REDHEAD didn't win the Best Musical Tony (R) over GYPSY.

Hmm.  I guess that just proves you can't believe everything you read in a performance program.  The note, which was written by Mr. Tom Hatten, goes on to mention Miss Gwen Verdon's win for Best Actress (Musical) for Redhead over Miss Ethel Merman in Gypsy.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2004, 09:39:57 AM »

What else was nominated in the Redhead year, just out of curiousity.

'Twas just REDHEAD, FLOWER DRUM SONG and LA PLUME DE MA TANTE.

(Whereas there were FIVE plays nominated.)

And oddly enough, the physical production from FDS wasn't nominated.  In fact NONE of the nominated scenic designs were from musicals.  Hard to imagine in this day and age.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2004, 09:40:50 AM »

Hmm.  I guess that just proves you can't believe everything you read in a performance program.  The note, which was written by Mr. Tom Hatten, goes on to mention Miss Gwen Verdon's win for Best Actress (Musical) for Redhead over Miss Ethel Merman in Gypsy.

Sorry, wrong number.

Miss Martin won for her postulant over Miss Merman.

Mr. Hatten should be drawn and quartered for fudging the incident that provoked Miss Merman's comment "How can you buck a nun?"

Always a realist, she.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 09:44:11 AM by Stuart »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2004, 09:44:29 AM »

Wow, what a strange season for musicals.  The only other major musicals were Whoop Up! Juno, and Destry.  However, I like all of those better than Redhead.  Interestingly, Gypsy is listed in that season as the last show to open (according to the ibdb).  Did they lobby to get moved to the next season or what happened, because they most assuredly would have won if they'd stayed put.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2004, 09:47:39 AM »

Only three nominees?  Stuart, is there a list of the musicals that opened that season?  I'd suspect there was more than Goldilocks that should have been up.

'Twas the season of WHOOP-UP!

(As memory serves, 58-59 wasn't a stellar season, though I can't recall what else opened.  It was one of those years where everyone was trying to come up with the next MY FAIR LADY.  It may have been the season of FIRST IMPRESSIONS, but that might have been the following year.)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2004, 09:50:38 AM »

'Twas the season of WHOOP-UP!

(As memory serves, 58-59 wasn't a stellar season,

NOT THAT I WAS AROUND FOR IT....!

(I just wanted to clarify, for all you Dear Readers out there who are poised to tease....)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2004, 09:55:58 AM »

In the meanwhile, we missed our Page Two Dance, courtesy of La Verdon!

Let's all do 'Erbie Fitch's Twitch!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 09:56:57 AM by Stuart »

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2004, 10:18:08 AM »

Do any of you TAR/Apprentice fans watch The Bachelor?  Apparently the National Enquirer has leaked the winner.  And I am SO hoping they are right.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2004, 10:19:40 AM »

First Impressions opened March 19th, 1959.

April 23: Destry Rides Again

May 11th: Once Upon a Mattress (up for awards in '60)

May 21st: Gypsy.

Meanwhile, Redhead opened February 5th, which would make it the most recent opening of the 1959 eligiblity year.  Timing, as usual, is everything, and Fosse had great timing.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2004, 10:22:30 AM »

I am a fan of "Frasier," although the later years (of 11) were not nearly so rewarding as the first four or five.

Season 4 offered two of the funniest shows -- of any TV sitcom -- I've seen:

One was called "Ham Radio".  In it, the station decides, with Frasier's urging, to do a live radio drama.  Frasier was to direct.  He cast the show. Niles did not want to take part because of past experience in prep school under Frasier's guidance.  Frasier casts a local British man to play an inspector for the mystery that takes place on the moors of England...and fires him for not being "authentic."  That sets up Frasier to not only direct but to "star"...and then the true fun begins.  Gil Chesterton has a role that gets cut...including a monologue he desperately wants to recite...and begins many times, each time getting killed off by Frasier before he can finish.  Roz has a part, too, but shows up straight out of the dentist's chair where she has received an unexpected root canal and her tongue is still deadened from anesthetic. And Bulldog brings in his current girlfriend who has one line to read -- "He's got a gun!" which she delivers, dyslexically, as "He's got a nug!"

As the play drags on, time grows short, and Frasier continues to cut parts willy-nilly, to the disdain of all.  He has badgered Niles into taking a role, which turns out to be something like five small parts, each requiring different voices/accents.

It's a magnificent show and the cast never reached such dizzying heights of perfection as in this one episode.

Another episode involves a gift Martin had received from someone -- a hot foam dispenser.  He, or Daphne, puts it in the bathroom just off the entry where, later, after you've forgotten about it, Niles goes...there's an explosion...and Niles staggers out, covered with foam.

It's a priceless sight gag.

In Season two or three, there was the hysterical episode in which the new station manager is invited to dinner by Frasier who has complimented the man's taste in ties, and by gushing over a men's store in London.  Frasier thinks he's invited the man for Daphne to meet...but the station manager, who is gay, thinks he's on a date with Frasier, and everyone says things to make him believe everyone in the houshold is gay except Daphne (who has a terrific sight gag at the end with a strapless wire bra).

« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 10:29:17 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2004, 10:26:41 AM »

$21.19 for WATER - and the buyers don't even know the source. (Evian spelled backwards is Naive.)

Penn & Teller did a Bullshit! episode on bottled water.  The best one they found was a high-priced premium water named Glacier or something with pictures of snowy mountains on the label.  Anyone who took the time to read said label learned that it contained "Galveston Tap Water".  Hey, they wouldn't lie to you, would they?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2004, 10:29:40 AM »

I bought my turkey last night on the way home from rehearsal.  There was quite a selection.....so I spent some time checking them all out.  Also got some Stove Top stuffing, a pumpkin pie, and some Whipped Topping.  Yes, we cook at our house...but we aren't "cooks" the way some DR's are.  More's the pity for us, I am sure.  But reading all the wonderful posts about food here is always delicious.

I loved all the captions yesterday! Thanks!
I fix up Stove Top stuffing all through the year.  Der B loves Stove Top.  I do doctor it up a little, with some fresh celery, onion, maybe some bell pepper, sauteed in the butter the mix calls for, but it's still Stove Top.

Which reminds me, I've got dinner to start planning.  Pork chops and...Stove Top Stuffing!  Now I just need a veg.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2004, 10:37:27 AM »

Any moment of CHUCKLES BITES THE DUST from the old MTM show. The perfect half hour.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2004, 10:44:43 AM »

Best line, not really rotfl but so true.

MTM, the wedding of Georgette and Ted.  Just prior to the wedding, Mary asks Georgette if she really loves Ted.

Georgette: Well, of course I do, Mary!  Somebody has to!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2004, 10:45:16 AM »

Good Afternoon!

I slept rather well last night, but, of course, I'm starting to feel a little groggy again after being up a few hours.  However, I think my grogginess has to do with my clogged sinuses.  Ah, well... But at least the weather continues to be consistent today: gray, drizzle, rain...

As for today's topic:

Ditto!

:P

Channel 5 in DC used to have hour blocks of "I Love Lucy" - one hour (two episodes) at 10:00am, and another hour at 4:00pm.  It was always nice to be able to watch those shows - especially during summer vacation - during those typical "dead" TV hours.

"Seinfeld", "Cheers", "Will & Grace", "Frasier", etc.. heck, even "The Cosby Show" have all had their moments.  As I continue to wake up, I'll try my best to post some specific moments/episodes.

Hmmm... "Too Close for Comfort" and "Bosom Buddies" just popped into my head right now...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2004, 10:48:42 AM »

Just an aside...  Just when I thought soap operas couldn't get more downright stupid and silly with their plots, I turn on "The Bold and the Beautiful".... ugh...

-And I only "watch" "B&B" since it falls between "Y&R" and "ASWT".

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2004, 10:59:36 AM »

So now that youse guys sent me to the Tonys archive, can someone tell me how Tom Bosely won best supporting actor in a musical for Fiorello! in 1960?  Who, I ask, was the star?

And why was Robert Morse nominated in 1959 for best supporting (drama) for Say Darling, which was a musical?

And while we're on the subject, why were Blake Edwards and the rest of Victor Victoria egregiously overlooked ?
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2004, 11:01:15 AM »

I think I've just come up with the perfect definition of "redundant": watching the Food Network on Thanksgiving.

On the other hand, just to prove how the seasons flow in this commercial age, their entire schedule for the day after Thanksgiving is all about...CHRISTMAS!  

:-\

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2004, 11:01:52 AM »

Oh......maybe B&B is causing those mysterious explosions, DRJOSE!

I got my last few 20% off DVD's today....including DRMBARNUM's Birthday present!

Watching BROADWAY THE GOLDEN AGE....oh, yes, everything that has been said and written here at HHW is so....I love this DVD.

Also received BON VOYAGE - a 1962 Disney feature with Fred MacMurray, Jane Wyman, Tommy Kirk, Deborah Walley, Kevin Corcoran, and Michael Callan AND the SS United States!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 11:23:52 AM by JRand54 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2004, 11:02:37 AM »

DR WFO - I think SAY, DARLING was considered a "play with music."

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2004, 11:05:08 AM »

Oh.

Does that make Lady in the Dark a "musical with play"?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 11:05:30 AM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2004, 11:07:13 AM »

And why was Robert Morse nominated in 1959 for best supporting (drama) for Say Darling, which was a musical?
Because Say Darling was considered to be a drama (or a comedy), with songs, and not a musical.  (It was billed as a "play with songs.")  I know, it doesn't make sense.

It sounds a little like a report card: Plays nicely with songs.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2004, 11:10:08 AM »

LOL SWW I owe you a Coke.

Could be, DR WFO - kind of a like calling STREETCAR a play with dialog.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2004, 11:10:46 AM »

So now that youse guys sent me to the Tonys archive, can someone tell me how Tom Bosely won best supporting actor in a musical for Fiorello! in 1960?  Who, I ask, was the star?

And while we're on the subject, why were Blake Edwards and the rest of Victor Victoria egregiously overlooked ?

A) Tom Bosley won a supporting Tony Award (R) for starring in FIORELLO! for the same reason that Tammy Grimes won a supporting Tony Award (R) for MOLLY BROWN.  Billing,  plain and simple.  (But not PLAIN AND FANCY.)  They were both below the title.  In those days that was tantamount to NOT being a STAR.  I think that Wm. Daniels pulling himself out of the race in '69 made them reconsider this arbitrary bylaw.  By A CHORUS LINE and DREAMGIRLS, ensemble pieces sometimes clearly had a lead character or two.  Or not, as the case may be.

B)  I know this is not often said out loud, and I know it was a rhetorical question, but DR WFO, VICTOR/VICTORIA was egregiously overlooked because it wasn't very good.

C) You question about Bobby Morse in SAY, DARLING (which I deleted from the above quote) was already answered correctly.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 11:15:15 AM by Stuart »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2004, 11:19:37 AM »

While we're talking about television series.....does anyone else remember any bizarre guest star turns?  I know that Lucy had a "star" on every week - but guest stars doing weird things on other series?

Anybody else remember Mae West on "Mr Ed" or Jayne Mansfield on "Surfside Six" or John Wayne on "The Beverly Hillbillies"?

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2004, 11:26:04 AM »

B)  I know this is not often said out loud, and I know it was a rhetorical question, but DR WFO, VICTOR/VICTORIA was egregiously overlooked because it wasn't very good.

Dare one say, it was egregiously overlooked, because it was egregious?  (Sorry, Julie.  And we all love you dearly.)
--Wayland Flowers
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up