Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE DAY AT A TIME  (Read 21148 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:ONE DAY AT A TIME
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2004, 01:18:24 PM »

I heartily recommend both of the above to all of you.  Penny's work is a laugh riot, as one is wont to say, and I am eagerly anticipating the stage version in March.  

And wait to you hear her sing.  You are in for a real treat.  :D Oh do I wish I could be there.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2004, 01:25:26 PM »

I think Redhead's Tony victory has a whole lot to do with the magic wrought on the material by the husband-and-wife team of Gwen Verdon and Bob Fosse.  I've never seen Redhead, but I've often commented that Pippin was an example of Fosse's genius: all the elements - choreography, costumes, sets, dance arrangements, are working together to make an entertaining experience for the audience.  If you remove Fosse's contribution from the equation, you're left with a not-as-impressive trifle.  My guess is that something similar is at work with the version of Redhead DR Jay saw.  That Tony wasn't specifically for the book and score, it was for the whole Bob-and-Gwen package.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2004, 01:45:59 PM »

Jennifer the film Les Invasions Barbare begins in an overcrowded hospital with patients lined up in the hallways.  The lack of proper medical care continues throughout the movie.

Well I'm not an expert on hospitals here, but I have been to a few.  If you need a doctor you can make a regular doctor's appointment and get in no problem.  Or you can go to clinics and wait maybe an hour.

As for hospitals, if you go to the emergency room you might have to wait an hour.  But they will see you and treat you.

The only thing I can think of that reminds me of what you described is when a person has a serious problem.  It can take a day to get transferred to a room.  And the emergency rooms have stalls that are full.  I don't know if that is different in the US.

I will say this, the only time I spent in a hospital was not too bad.  I got right in at the first hospital.  I was transferred immediately by ambulance to another hospital.  And again seen right away.  I did have to spend the first night on a bed outside a nurse's station until a room was free the next morning.

The room had one other person.  And they paid very good attention to me.

And this was all free.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2004, 01:50:12 PM »

Well, I've never seen REDHEAD (and it certainly isn't staged much, is it?), but the cast album is certainly underwhelming.

On the other hand, it must have had lots of good elements. Not just Gwen and Bob's contributions, but Richard Kiley won his first Tony for this, and Leonard Stone won a supporting actor Tony (tied with Russell Nype from GOLDILOCKS) and it won best costumes, too. Obviously, there was a lot of quality in the show. Score and book seem to be the least of its virtues.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2004, 01:57:27 PM »

Leonard Stone won a supporting actor Tony (tied with Russell Nype from GOLDILOCKS)

Leonard Stone was nominated for a supporting actor Tony Award (R), but did not win.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 01:57:42 PM by Stuart »

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2004, 02:02:55 PM »

Leonard Stone was nominated for a supporting actor Tony Award (R), but did not win.

Sorry, but you're wrong. That's an error that's been perpetuated in all THE TONY AWARD volumes since their inception, but THE TONY AWARDS BOOK corrects it. There WAS a tie that year.

Jane

« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2004, 02:04:10 PM »

In honor of Thanksgiving, there is the episode on MAD ABOUT YOU where they decide to invite their families for Thanksgiving dinner.  Paul and Jamie want to show their parents they can give a nice dinner and want everything to be perfect. The scene with Murray the dog standing on the table eating the turkey is a riot.  From then on the various attempts by Jamie and Paul to smuggle a new turkey into the kitchen had us in stitches.  This had to have been the best episode of the show.

We have a guy here helping Keith pick up leaves.  Echo is going ballistic as his  Chihuahua  is running around our yard.  I can’t let Echo out unsupervised-she might run him over.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2004, 02:04:28 PM »

BTW, THE TONY AWARDS contains quite a few errors. It also says Frank Loesser won the Best Score Tony for GUYS AND DOLLS, but Irving Berlin took it that year for CALL ME MADAM.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2004, 02:06:21 PM »

Most of my favorite comedy episodes have been named:

"Coast to Coast Big Mouth," "Chuckes Bites the Dust." I certainly think THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW and MARY TYLER MOORE provided for me the most laugh out loud moments in my life.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2004, 02:10:59 PM »

The best episode of MAD ABOUT YOU.....there couldn't be much competition there now, really, could there?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2004, 02:16:00 PM »

Jane

« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2004, 02:21:07 PM »

Well I'm not an expert on hospitals here, but I have been to a few.  If you need a doctor you can make a regular doctor's appointment and get in no problem.  Or you can go to clinics and wait maybe an hour.

As for hospitals, if you go to the emergency room you might have to wait an hour.  But they will see you and treat you.

The only thing I can think of that reminds me of what you described is when a person has a serious problem.  It can take a day to get transferred to a room.  And the emergency rooms have stalls that are full.  I don't know if that is different in the US.

I will say this, the only time I spent in a hospital was not too bad.  I got right in at the first hospital.  I was transferred immediately by ambulance to another hospital.  And again seen right away.  I did have to spend the first night on a bed outside a nurse's station until a room was free the next morning.

The room had one other person.  And they paid very good attention to me.

And this was all free.

Emergency rooms here can take much longer than one hour since they take you in order of the emergency.

I don't think I would enjoy spending a night outside the nurses station.  Maybe you received better attention that way because you could stop the nurses as they walked past you.  

The only time I have heard of people waiting for a room was the morning I left the hospital after Craig was born.  So many babies were born that month there were a couple of days it was a problem. (All I say, it was nine months after a cold winter).  The morning I left the hospital they were counting the patients who were leaving to find how many beds were available.  

The hospital in the movie had multiple people in the room and getting important test done took forever, even though he was seriously ill.

Glad you felt your experience was good.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2004, 02:22:30 PM »

Favorite sit-com, any episiode of "The Nanny" :)

Jane

« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2004, 02:24:16 PM »

JRand ;D.  IT was a funny episode.

We have been watching AMOS & ANDY.  Scenes from some of those episodes are hysterical.  We have been having some good laughs watching MY LITTLE MARGIE.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2004, 02:47:03 PM »

Ditto.

It's really not that important, but Ken Mandelbaum settled this dispute a year or so ago by researching the controversy and discovering that it was indeed a tie that year.

And it was Russell Nype who validated that both of them won that year.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 02:47:55 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2004, 04:04:22 PM »

And for something I don't think is so important, I guess I'm making it so, but it bothered me that I'd stuck my neck out. Peter Filichia says in the liner notes to the cast CD that it won in all categories it was nominated except Conductor (won by FLOWER DRUM SONG). As I said earlier, he confirmed that Stone did indeed tie with Russell Nype.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2004, 04:09:47 PM »

I wrote this ages ago, got a phonecall and forgot to post it...
I seem to be the only one here! More unpacking. And I still should go out to Santa Monica to pick up a rug ( I DID return yesterday's selection). But now it's rush hour. Oh well. Maybe I'll just rest. What a concept.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 04:29:51 PM by Panni »

Danise

« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2004, 04:10:32 PM »

Evening all.

Ok.  Let’s get this out of the way before I say anything else.  I’ve had a “Duh” moment.  Last night after I spoke about how I wanted Nestor The Long-Eared Christmas Donkey I went on a search to see if I could find it.  

First stop, Amazon. Com.  They had it.  On a DVD with The Year With Out A Santa Claus and Rudolph’s Shiny New Year.   I took one look at the picture of the box and said to myself, “I HAVE that!”.  Sure enough, a search through my DVD collection turned up the very same DVD!  See attached picture.  

I bought it last year at an after Christmas sale and it’s still in the shrink wrap because Christmas stories should only be watched at Christmas time.   I never noticed that it had the two other shows on it.  

In my defense, you can see that it is in the bottom right hand corner and very small compared to   The Year With Out A Santa Claus

Anyway, the good news is I have it!   :D

As for the TOD, the funniest episode I’ve EVER seen on a show was on Space:  1999.  The episode was called, The Space Brain.  The plot involved the runaway moon  going though some kind of living brain in the vacuum of space, killing it.  The funny part came when they passed through said brain.  The special effects were tons and tons of…….soap suds!  I have a often wondered what brand of soap they used and how much they had use to soap up the “moon”.    At least everything was clean when they were finished.  
 ::)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 04:30:50 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2004, 04:10:52 PM »

Good Evening!

-Another nice walk in the rain.  I had planned to pick up some food and supplies at the grocery store while I was out, but once I got to the grocery store I realized I had left the apartment without my wallet.  Ah, well...  However, I did have a spare bill and some change in my jeans, so I picked up a very good oatmeal raisin cookie and the bread bakery.

:)

Most interesting thing I noticed during my walk: Above the new fireplace in the newly remodeled McDonald's, they were installing a widescreen, flat panel, possibly plasma television set.  Hmm...  I wonder who gets control of the remote?  Or does McD's have their own in-house TV network?

Funniest thing I noticed during my walk:  In the window of a gift and knick-knack store was a small chalkboard on a decorative "holder" (for lack of a better word).  And on said chalkboard was written (in chalk):

Antique Palm Pilot
$12.96

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2004, 04:16:51 PM »

I wrote this ages ago, got a phonecall and forgot to post it...
I seem to be the only one here! More unpacking. And I still should go out to Santa Monica to pick up a rug ( I DID return yesterday's selection). But now it's rush hour. Oh well. Maybe I'll just rest. What a concepts.

...Hmm.. Sounds to me like you need some See's Chocolates!

:-*
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2004, 04:21:24 PM »

I've seen a pencil with a tag that said it was the original word processor on it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 04:43:59 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2004, 04:48:25 PM »

Am I right, does that make FOUR rugs you've returned?  

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2004, 04:52:03 PM »

My favorite sit-com scene was the one where Niles Crane irons his pants and sets the couch on fire. Not one word was spoken.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2004, 04:53:26 PM »

Spoiler alert (REDHEAD).

DR Jay,

In the production you saw, was the villain sitting in the box seats?

That scene may have inspired an old New Yorker cartoon. An older couple are sitting in their box seats, with an ape beside them. At the end of the play the wife turns to the husband and asks, "You mean he wasn't in the show?"

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2004, 05:31:00 PM »

One of my favorite sitcom scenes was in the original Ellen DeGeneres sitcom (it may have been when it was still called "These Friends of Mine")...it was a very Lucy  moment.  She was replacing a big water bottle and spilled it all over the place.  It just felt like the whole "accident" really was an accident and Ellen (the actress, not the character) had to stay in character and just go with it.  Hysterical!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 05:32:45 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2004, 05:34:29 PM »

Am I right, does that make FOUR rugs you've returned?  

LOL.  I’m looking for a new comforter for my bed.  Those things are heavy and my arms are sore from carrying so many home and back to the stores.  

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2004, 05:36:06 PM »

Spoiler alert (REDHEAD).

DR Jay,

In the production you saw, was the villain sitting in the box seats?

That scene may have inspired an old New Yorker cartoon. An older couple are sitting in their box seats, with an ape beside them. At the end of the play the wife turns to the husband and asks, "You mean he wasn't in the show?"

No, the villain was not sitting in the box seats.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Michael

« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2004, 05:39:21 PM »

Wow, what a strange season for musicals.  The only other major musicals were Whoop Up! Juno, and Destry.  However, I like all of those better than Redhead.  Interestingly, Gypsy is listed in that season as the last show to open (according to the ibdb).  Did they lobby to get moved to the next season or what happened, because they most assuredly would have won if they'd stayed put.

The tony award season was different back then. I am not sure when the June 1 to May 31 period started. For example Company opened April 1970, but won for the 1971 Tony awards
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2004, 05:39:34 PM »

I should have posted this earlier, before 8:00pm on the east coast.  Can anyone record a movie for me on the WB channel?   A DVD is even better since my VCR is in my bedroom and I won’t be watching anything in there for awhile.  The exciting movie I want to see is SAMANTHA: AN AMERICAN GIRL HOLIDAY.
http://www.thewb.com/Shows/Special/0,11116,192854,00.html

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2004, 05:41:12 PM »

Dear Reader George's mention of Ellen DeGeneres does remind me of one of my biggest laughs in response to a sitcom episode.  It is the last scene in Miss DeGeneres' famous coming out episode, in which her lesbian paperwork is stamped and a toaster is awarded.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up