Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: IT'S DE-LENGTHY NOTES  (Read 20592 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:IT'S DE-LENGTHY NOTES
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2004, 01:04:06 PM »

Well, I'm off to Joe Allen's for din with DRtd and his friend Alex.  I'll tell him he's been missed the past two days.

The topic of Christmas music came up today.  Last year, wioth my new eMac and the ability to burn CDs, I put together a CD of Christmas arrangements I've done for the New York City Gay Men's Chorus, BK, and the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.  If any DRs would like a CD, PM me your address, and I'll start working on more.

Ta for now!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2004, 01:08:50 PM »

As for the actual Topic of the Day, here are some of my favorite Cole Porter songs:
  • Begin the Beguine (any recording that's in the correct tempo...not too slow or too fast)
  • Buddy Beware (Linda Hart from the new Broadway cast recording)
  • Come to the Supermarket (love Loretta Devine's version)
  • Down in the Depths (On the Ninetieth Floor) (Pamela Myers!!)
  • Find Me a Primitive Man (Angela Richards in A Swell Party and Madeline Kahn in "At Long Last Love")
  • I Get a Kick Out of You (I love this song when it's sung more ballad-y, more introspective...not up tempo)
  • I Happen to Like New York (Anne Wood in A Swell Party and Joely Fisher from "Cole Porter: A Musical Toast" is quite good!)
  • Is It the Girl (Or Is It the Gown?) (Joanna Gleason and Boys)
  • Love For Sale (Martin Smith from A Swell Party...with the final spoken line:  "Right this way, sir.")
  • Miss Otis Regrets (Bette Midler...I know it's not "right" but I just love it)
  • Stereophonic Sound (Gretchen Wyler)
  • Thank You So Much, Mrs. Lowsborough-Goodby (David Hyde Pierce ... priceless!)
  • Tom, Dick or Harry (I think Kim Criswell recorded this...I love her!)
  • You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To (Cheryl Bentyne of The Manhattan Transfer!)
  • You’re the Top (Patti and Howard McGillin)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2004, 01:14:11 PM »

DR George's list reminded of seeing Jeff Harnar perform "I've Got You Under My Skin" many years ago.  He sang it to a mosquito that was buzzing around him.  Lots of fun.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2004, 01:15:53 PM »

OK.  I'm all bundled up... Time for my walk around the block.  (Ah, almost a Harold Arlen reference - and Ella Fitzgerald's version is my favorite - especially the alternate take available in the boxed set version).

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2004, 01:16:50 PM »

You're confusing two stories.  Just One of Those Things was written for Jubilee and it was never cut.  I believe it was the "hit" of that show, because it wasn't until some time afterwards that Begin the Beguine became very popular.

From This Moment On is a marvelous song cut from Out of This World.  I agree that it's hard to imagine why.  Out of This World has a lot of problems.  The same Greek myth (Amphytrion) was used, years later, as the basis for Olympus On My Mind

You're absolutely right; I did confuse the two stories and the two songs. Actually I was thinking "From This Moment On" and typed "Just One of Those Things." "From this Moment On" is presently my favorite Porter song.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2004, 01:17:45 PM »

I'm making up a batch of pasta with red sauce.  I thought about blue sauce but opted for the red.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2004, 01:19:19 PM »

I had barbecued chicken and yellow rice to eat this afternoon.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2004, 01:19:23 PM »

It was cold out and my toes got wet-next time I will wear my boots.  Echo had such a good time she decided to stay out and wait for Keith to come home.  She really wanted to leave the yard and go on our regular walk.  I think she needs another day of taking it easy.

elmore I glad you are taking care of yourself and seem better.

Jose it is good to know the soup made you feel better and you are already thinking of eating again.  Honestly if I ate what you do I would always be sick-wait I think I am from all the chocolate I have been eating.  I shall follow your advice and go have something gentle but nourishing.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2004, 01:23:23 PM »

I finally got around to finishing WALK ON THE WILD SIDE and then put in HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN. The DVD looks stupendous; clear as a bell (as it should being a movie less than six months old). Don't know why Warners didn't do a Dolby Digital 5.1 EX audio track. I got about halfway through the movie before stopping it so I could do my afternoon internet surf. When I go back, I may enable the EX decoder to see if adding that back center surround channel will expand the sound field further. (Sometimes when you try that, it collapses the back surround speakers into just the center speaker and the left and right rear speakers are silent.)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2004, 01:25:42 PM »

DR George's list reminded of seeing Jeff Harnar perform "I've Got You Under My Skin" many years ago.  He sang it to a mosquito that was buzzing around him.

More than likely a Sara Lazarus idea.

Years ago, I had minor surgery to remove a piece of glass from my foot.  I was awake during the procedure, and actually sang to the surgeon,

I've Got You Under My Skin
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2004, 01:31:02 PM »

Not very healthy lunch... beef sticks and tamari cashews, but it's quick and it's balencing out the caffeine in my system.  Still recording... can't find a midi cable to save my life, don't know why as I know I have at least a dozen!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2004, 01:31:13 PM »

I've absolutely no ideas re dinner tonight.  Sure, we've got venison and goose from that hunting son-in-law, but I've no ideas as to what I'd want to do with them.

:P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2004, 01:54:13 PM »

Off to the Main Line of Philadelphia, where someone's preparing lamb
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2004, 01:56:37 PM »

I agree with Dear Reader Tomovoz that Miss Ella Fitzgerald's Cole Porter Songbook is one sensational recording.  I believe it's a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts:  Miss Fitzgerald's voice and interpretation + Mr. Porter's music and lyrics = perfection.

I think I need to get this  :D

Jane

« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2004, 02:01:59 PM »

NIGHT AND DAY
BEGIN THE BEGUINE
LET’S DO IT, LET’S FALL IN LOVE
JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS

To name a few.  It might have been easier to say which Cole Porter songs don’t you like?

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2004, 02:03:24 PM »

Found the midi cable, recording the "Phantom of the Opera" Overture with a really cool pipe organ setting on the Alesis Nano-Piano, very cool... just thought  you'd like to know that.  Solo studio work can be very lonely!!!

Jane

« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2004, 02:05:39 PM »

When the freezing rain began Keith and Echo came in the house.  Echo now looks as if she has glitter all over her.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2004, 02:08:15 PM »

It has begun to rain here, as well.  Very unusual - last year at this time it was hot and like summer.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2004, 02:42:31 PM »

Good rehearsal today.  Another eight hour rehearsal tomorrow!  Whew!  You can only do the thing so many times!  And as choreographer of just FOUR numbers - the rest is not so much to sit through any more.  Oh well.....

Happy Birthday DR divarobbie.

Hmmmmmmm.....Mr Cole Porter, an Indiana Native.  I have been to a small museum in his home town of Peru, Indiana (pronounced Pee-roo) I hope they did it correctly in the movie.  I also once met his cousin, an old woman with pink hair.  She was very nice.

Favorite Porter songs hmmmmm....

"So In Love" - Alfred Drake

"Blow Gabriel Blow" - Ethel Merman & also the 1962 revival LP....I think the woman's name is Eileen....I will check....  And also "Heaven Hop" on the same LP....and her "I Get a Kick Out Of You" is nothing to sneeze at either.

"Crepes Suzette" as sung in the movie DuBARRY WAS A LADY by Red Skelton and someone for Lucille Ball.

And a song that DRJANE mentioned earlier "Everytime We Say Goodbye."

Cole Porter - he was the top!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2004, 02:55:55 PM »

Oh dear - I had hot dogs for dinner.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2004, 03:10:28 PM »

What are all these 8217 things?  Are we being overtaken by Colossus?  

Nice to see you back Donna.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2004, 03:21:37 PM »

Hi Donna.  How fun you came to visit us this weekend and you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2004, 03:22:51 PM »

MR BK are you still using your new electric-powered razor?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2004, 03:26:12 PM »

I'm making up a batch of pasta with red sauce.  I thought about blue sauce but opted for the red.

Well, then you simply must have a glass of blue wine to go with your red sauce and white pasta (off-white since it's past Labor Day).

;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 03:43:23 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2004, 03:39:28 PM »

Jose it is good to know the soup made you feel better and you are already thinking of eating again.  Honestly if I ate what you do I would always be sick-wait I think I am from all the chocolate I have been eating.  I shall follow your advice and go have something gentle but nourishing.

Thank you, DR Jane.  However, I'm not exactly sure what to make of "Honestly if I ate what you do I would always be sick."  Hmm...  Compliment?  Or constructive observation?

;)

No worries.  -However, I will admit my eating habits have been a little strange lately - even strange to me at times, and that's saying something!

As for myself, I ended up picking up some groceries at Ukrop's: oatmeal, cereal, soy milk, crackers, some protein bars, and a package of frozen brown rice.  -Yes, frozen (precooked) brown rice.  They were doing a new product demo of it the other day, and I found it quite good.  And since it was already on sale this week - $1.00 off - and since they handed out $1.00-off coupons... The final price came down to just a few cents more than buying uncooked brown rice.  It really did taste very good when I tried it at the store, and it's easy to make in the microwave!  -There's a way to rationalize everything. ;)  -Oh, and I bought some ice cream too!  Spumoni!  -Also on sale!

Once I walked back to the apartment, I started putting things away in the kitchen, then just proceeded to check some things in the cupboard, and decided to go ahead and make some dinner.  And for dinner, I decided to have some breakfast!  Roast beef hash with eggs!  -Best of all, it was the first time I turned on the stove since I've been back from LA.  Hopefully, this bodes well for the next few days - I have missed cooking.  *While going through the cupboard, I came across some other things that I had forgot about that are candidates for potential meals over the next few days.

Oh, and the best thing to do when you're "sick" from eating too much chocolate is to eat more chocolate!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 03:42:12 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2004, 03:42:02 PM »

Yes, I'm still using the electronic razor and it works quite well - I'm enjoying never nicking myself and bleeding.  It actually gives quite a close shave, much better than in days of old - the most amazing thing about it is that once a week you just open the blades and stick them under the faucet for cleaning.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2004, 03:44:25 PM »

LOL DRJOSE.....exactly my thoughts about chocolate.

Hi Donna!

Watched a couple of LOVE THAT BOB episodes, and although they are Okay (I didn't realize that Paul Henning had a LOT to do with that show - and a lot of the production staff moved on to THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, along with Pamela Livingston herself, Nancy Kulp!).  Was Bob Cummings really considered a swinging bachelor type back then?  I mean even when I saw the show in reruns in the early 1960's, I thought he was too old and too fat and dressed too square to get a girl.....   I did notice that the backdrop out the window of his photography studio was the same one used outside the Ricardo Suite at the Beverly Palms Hotel in the LA episodes of I LOVE LUCY!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2004, 03:45:20 PM »

Amazing - I can't use an electric razor without getting a burn and getting splotches....but maybe it's time to try again.

DRGEORGE don't you love finding bargains like that at the $ store?

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2004, 03:46:53 PM »

NOTE TO BK and everyone else: The 8217 and 8220 numbers were supposed to be where the apostrophe and quote marks go. I did an edit eliminating most of them. I think what it was were the smart quotes in my Microsoft Word program. I replaced them with straight quotes in the resubmission below. Oy.  --Donna
Hi Ho Everybody!
Long time no post. I trust you're having a delightful Thanksgiving weekend. I spent the day at my niece's and just before I got there, the oven caught fire and they were running all over the neighborhood looking for a fire extinguisher. Thankfully, they got the fire out. Everybody thought the turkey was ruined but, lo and behold, it turned out to be the most deliciously moist turkey we've ever eaten! Next year, they're talking about deep frying the bird! What a potential for another fire! Oy.

DE-LOVELY:
For me, the film had its moments, but not too many. There was a spot-on (IMO) review of it by author Gary Giddins in the L.A. Times. Of all the singers, he felt Natalie Cole pulled it off best. I think her spot was the ONLY time in the film when a song was sung simply and knowingly all the way through and didn't have any quick camera cuts. The worst of the lot was the cherubic singer who portrayed Nelson Eddy. He was too young and (if that was his voice) a terrible singer (please don't any of you tell me he is a friend of yours). Kevin Kline wasn't right for the part. Unlike BK, however, I thought Ashley Judd was effecting given the confines of the script--which IMO was the main problem with the film. And about the part where Cole falls off his horse...Somewhere I read that while he was waiting for help, he spent his time writing a song. Now wouldn't that have been something to see. Also...In real life, I believe Linda Porter was taller than Cole. I wish some filmmaker would have the COURAGE to portray it that way. I once saw on television, Sammy Davis, Jr. dancing with his wife, Altovise. She was clearly a head taller than he was and when they came together to ballroom dance, he rested his head on her upper chest. The sexiest and tenderest thing I've ever seen.

Overall, a dissatisfying and disappointing film for me, too.

FAVORITE PORTER SONGS:
Oh brother, what an impossible task! So hard to choose.
Ella's renditions from her songbook series is indeed wonderful.
Probably every recording that Sinatra made of his songs.
Lena Horne's recordings of How's Your Romance, It's All Right With Me, and After You Who? from her Live at the Waldorf Astoria album.
The score from Kiss Me Kate.
Let's Do It
You're the Top
I Get a Kick Out of You
You Do Something to Me
What is This Thing Called Love
Begin the Beguine
Night and Day
Love for Sale
Just One of Those Things
Down in the Depths On the 90th Floor
At Long Last Love
Do I Love You
Do I, Well, Did You Evah
Let's Not Talk About Love
Every Time We Say Goodbye
You're Sensational
C'est Manifique
True Love
Mind If I Make Love to You
 I Concentrate On You
Please Don't Monkey With Broadway
Amanda from the Tracy/Hepburn flick, Adam's Rib
...and many, many more!

A favorite songwriter of mine. One thing about Porter's songs that isn't always true of others'...they even sound good when you just read the lyrics.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2004, 03:48:32 PM »

Not very healthy lunch... beef sticks and tamari cashews, but it's quick and it's balencing out the caffeine in my system.  Still recording... can't find a midi cable to save my life, don't know why as I know I have at least a dozen!!!

Well, beef is protein.  Tamari has some micronutrients in it.  And cashews also have some health benefits.  Now you just need some spray cheese and crackers!

I meant to comment earlier... I also do not like studio work.  I just start getting really critical about my playing... while I'm playing.

And if you're still looking for a MIDI cable, I have some you can borrow... Although I'm not exactly sure where they are right now. ;)  -They're probably with all the 1/4-inch patch cords and audio cables I've bought each time I set up my set-up.

Don't you hate when that happens?
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up