Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALIGNING THE PLANETS  (Read 3009 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: ALIGNING THE PLANETS
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2016, 10:09:46 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - maybe six hours of sleep - I wanted to finish more of the script and I ended up thinking about it and making notes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2016, 10:09:54 AM »

Page three?  Really?

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2016, 10:32:35 AM »

Looking for a collector's item?

My wife just picked up the only ccopy at the market.

Indeed, it's this generation's version of "DEWEY WINS!"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381850153038?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
You can dream…or you can do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2016, 10:42:39 AM »

I am surprised she found one to buy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2016, 10:53:15 AM »

St Joseph selling vibes for DR ELMORE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2016, 11:38:15 AM »

I have been working on an orchestration for "Let's Not Talk About Love."  Funny lyrics.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2016, 11:40:13 AM »

St Joseph selling vibes for DR ELMORE.

That buried statuette has done nothing for us in nearly ten years,
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2016, 01:59:30 PM »

Thank you to DRs Vixmom and Jeanne for last night's wishes for Richard!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2016, 02:19:19 PM »

Back from an omelet, and English muffin, and a few onion rings (maybe five) - lunched with Richard Sherman and writer/director Larry Cohen, he of God Told Me To, It's Alive, Q The Winged Serpent, and many others.  And yes, it involves a project and I'm pretty sure we're going to do it at LACC next year, and should we, we will have a world premiere of a new Sherman Brothers musical.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2016, 02:21:09 PM »

Listening to the wonderful Earl Wild/Jascha Horenstein recordings for the four Rachmaninov piano concertos.  Amazing playing, amazing orchestra playing.  Has any other composer of a piano concerto put so many classic tunes in one concerto than Rachmaninov in his second concerto?  It is its own greatest hits.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2016, 02:26:31 PM »

Also, even though I said I wouldn't, I went to the hall closet and found all my Mahler CDs - thankfully they were easy to get to.  I listened to bits from each, but there was only one that I felt compelled to upload because comparing the others with this new Bernstein mastering, I didn't like any nearly as well.  The much lauded and first choice for the third symphony, Horenstein on a Unicorn CD a) didn't sound great, and b) wasn't as emotional as the Bernstein - same with the Horenstein first.  Klemperer was too harsh for me.  And the others were okay.  But the one I uploaded, interestingly, was the Barbirolli performance of the sixth - the only one in the Bernstein set that's a slight disappointment in both the first movement and the andante.  The Barbirolli is very different in interpretation, with a much slower first movement, but the sound is great and I really like his take on the music, but the andante in his performance is everything I want from that music and you can hear them cow bells so clearly and it's so emotional.  That will be my go-to sixth now, and Barbirolli's fifth is supposed to also be one for the ages - I have it here in its first CD incarnation, but subsequently it was remastered from the first generation tapes so I'll have that tomorrow.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2016, 02:32:45 PM »

Back from the car repair shop. The front tire--Monday's flat--has a puncture and cannot be repaired. The rear tire, currently functioning, does indeed still have a leak--another puncture--and also must be replaced. So, two new tires are needed. They don't have them in stock (no surprise), but I can return tomorrow or Thursday to have them installed. I'm driving on the mini spare and the leaky tire, which I hope gets me through the next day or two. I don't have far to go, but I do have a couple things on my calendar which I don't wish to reschedule.

The most disturbing part of this is that both mechanics I spoke to feel that this was vandalism. Two side punctures, both on the driver's side, at the same time. THAT really irks me.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2016, 02:38:05 PM »

Bruce, have you aligned the planets yet?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2016, 02:45:27 PM »

~~~Tire Vibes for Jeanne!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2016, 02:45:36 PM »

Back from an omelet, and English muffin, and a few onion rings (maybe five) - lunched with Richard Sherman and writer/director Larry Cohen, he of God Told Me To, It's Alive, Q The Winged Serpent, and many others.  And yes, it involves a project and I'm pretty sure we're going to do it at LACC next year, and should we, we will have a world premiere of a new Sherman Brothers musical.

Wow!  That's so damned cool! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2016, 02:47:47 PM »

Did someone say pie? My lips are smacking.

I think a well-made cherry pie is perfection that cannot be improved upon. This time of year, when fresh cherries are scarce, I made a cherry-cranberry pie with frozen Bing cherries and fresh cranberries.

I agree with your assessment of the cherry pie.  I've never had cranberries in a pie, though, so I can't comment on that.  Otherwise, I love cream pies...banana and coconut are my most favorites, but I wouldn't turn down a chocolate cream pie.  As for fruit pies, in addition to the aforementioned cherry, I love blueberry pie.  I'm fairly partial to peach or apple.  I'll put pumpkin on my list, too.  And there's always pecan pie, also one of my most favorite. 

George

« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2016, 02:48:03 PM »

Cheesecake counts too, doesn't it?  It's pie-ish. ;)

George

« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2016, 02:48:33 PM »

And speaking of pies, check out these 22 Intricate Pie Lattices That Will Give You Baking Goals! ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2016, 02:53:36 PM »

Patience DR ELMORE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2016, 03:09:20 PM »

Tire and no more vandalism vibes for DR Jeanne :(

Jane

« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2016, 03:12:30 PM »

And speaking of pies, check out these 22 Intricate Pie Lattices That Will Give You Baking Goals! ;D

Those range from beautiful to fun.  Especially fun is the rain, rain go away one.  I think the hearts might be the easiest to make.  All you need is a cookie cutter.

KevinH

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2016, 03:45:52 PM »

Good evening!

KevinH

« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2016, 03:46:33 PM »

Thanks for the laughs, DR vixmom!  Sorry you had to go through all that, but it was hilarious!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2016, 03:48:50 PM »

Got the Herrmann and Dutoit Planets so aligning will begin as soon as I finish listening to these gorgeous Rachmaninov concertos and the Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2016, 03:49:56 PM »

Then I have a set of the Sibelius symphonies I found in the closet - Lorin Maazel conduction - I think these are supposed to be excellent performances.  I have a few of the symphonies already in iTunes with Ormandy but would like them all since I share a birthday with Sibelius.

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2016, 04:10:44 PM »

OMG DR Vixmom that story about the chair was so funny!  Couldn't you just have phoned the store?  I can't believe you drove there twice. Oy!

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2016, 04:12:39 PM »

Welcome back DR Elmore!

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2016, 04:13:59 PM »

Back from the car repair shop. The front tire--Monday's flat--has a puncture and cannot be repaired. The rear tire, currently functioning, does indeed still have a leak--another puncture--and also must be replaced. So, two new tires are needed. They don't have them in stock (no surprise), but I can return tomorrow or Thursday to have them installed. I'm driving on the mini spare and the leaky tire, which I hope gets me through the next day or two. I don't have far to go, but I do have a couple things on my calendar which I don't wish to reschedule.

The most disturbing part of this is that both mechanics I spoke to feel that this was vandalism. Two side punctures, both on the driver's side, at the same time. THAT really irks me.

:(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2016, 04:38:12 PM »

Listening to the Dutoit Planets, certainly one of the most universally praised CDs ever.  Well, it's mastered at such a low volume that you literally can't hear the soft bits at all and the loud bits sound like they're five blocks away.  Now, that said, when I crank up the volume almost to capacity then you can hear everything okay and it sounds fine and the performance is certainly fine.  But then those loud bits arrive and they're too loud so you're constantly adjusting the volume.  Not for me.  Audiophiles, who are somewhat loony and opinionated, LOVE this kind of dynamic range - but if I want to hear music from the last row of the balcony, which is what this sounds like at my normal playing level, then I'll go down the street and listen from there.  I just don't ever understand this stuff.  I suppose I could put headphones on, but that's not the way I think we're supposed to listen to music.  So, it may well be a great performance but it's really hard to tell, and for me it certainly does not best the Steinberg. 

George

« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2016, 04:53:51 PM »

Well, I hate to do it (no, I really do!), but I'm leaving work and going home to work on my lines before rehearsal tonight.  We're supposed to be off-book, and I'm sorta close, but not completely, but at least we can call for lines for another week and a half...and it's only the first night off-book for me, so it'll be what it'll be.

Be back later!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up