Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PITH AND VINEGAR  (Read 17271 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PITH AND VINEGAR
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2004, 09:47:49 AM »

Love you all madly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2004, 09:48:03 AM »

I am my own frenzy.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2004, 09:51:28 AM »

Hermione Granger did some funly things with time travel in the third Harry Potter book.  Something with a necklace, I believe... yes something with a necklace.  I'm still struggling with the TOD, the adults in my childhood life were not always positive and did not always encourage the direction that my life has ultimately taken.  I'll get back later.  

Tonight, I get to actually play a performance of "The Secret Garden" that a local communtiy theatre is producing.  The guy that played Keyboard 1 for me in my production is doing the same there, he needed a sub, so I'm walking in and subbing for the evening.  I was a bit nervous, but confident at the same time, that I could walk in and play the show and walk out, until this morning in the shower, I remembered when my good friend and mentor, Mark, called me at the last minute to come in a play piano for one performance of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum", a Sondheim show I'd never played, except for "Comedy  Tonight"... talk about being nervous.  In the end, it was tons of fun and the first violinst mentioned that there had been several pianists, and I was the one that played out and played well!!!  Go know...

Yesterday in class, as we rehearsed for our Christmas concert, several times I used the phrase "Why are you just sitting there like so much fish, SIT UP!"  Ah.. the glories of HHW.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2004, 09:56:00 AM »

Thanks DRPANNI -  she was a fun, wonderful person!  And it makes me happy to share that with everyone at HHW.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2004, 09:57:53 AM »

I wish the mail would come today....already!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2004, 10:21:02 AM »

JRand,

Thanks for sharing the memories about your cousin Lana - a lovely tribute.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2004, 10:22:49 AM »

Some  children’s classroom Amuse Bouches
A little girl was talking to her teacher about whales.
The teacher said it was physically impossible for a whale to swallow a human because even though it was a very large mammal its throat was very small.

The little girl stated that Jonah was swallowed by a whale.

Irritated, the teacher reiterated that a whale could not swallow a human; it was physically impossible.

The little girl said, "When I get to heaven I will ask Jonah".

The teacher asked, "What if Jonah went to hell?"

The little girl replied, "Then you ask him".
A Kindergarten teacher was observing her classroom of children while they were drawing. She would occasionally walk around to see each child's work.

As she got to one little girl who was working diligently, she asked what the drawing was.

The girl replied, "I'm drawing God."

The teacher paused and said, "But no one knows what God looks like."

Without missing a beat, or looking up from her drawing, the girl replied, "They will in a minute."
A Sunday school teacher was discussing the Ten Commandments with her five and six year olds.

After explaining the commandment to "honor" thy Father and thy Mother, she asked, "Is there a commandment that teaches us how to treat our brothers and sisters?"

Without missing a beat one little boy (the oldest of a family) answered, "Thou shall not kill."
One day a little girl was sitting and watching her mother do the dishes at the kitchen sink. She suddenly noticed that her mother had several strands of white hair sticking out in contrast on her brunette head.

She looked at her mother and inquisitively asked, "Why are some of your hairs white, Mom?"

Her mother replied, "Well, every time that you do something wrong and make me cry or unhappy, one of my hairs turns white."

The little girl thought about this revelation for a while and then said, "Momma, how come ALL of grandma's hairs are white?"
The children had all been photographed, and the teacher was trying to persuade them each to buy a copy of the group picture.

"Just think how nice it will be to look at it when you are all grown up and say, 'There's Jennifer, she's a lawyer,' or 'That's Michael, He's a doctor.'

A small voice at the back of the room rang out, "And there's the teacher, She's dead. "
A teacher was giving a lesson on the circulation of the blood. Trying to make the matter clearer, she said, "Now, class, if I stood on my head, the blood, as you know, would run into it, and I would turn red in the face.."

"Yes," the class said.

"Then why is it that while I am standing upright in the ordinary position the blood doesn't run into my feet?"

A little fellow shouted,

"Cause your feet ain't empty."
The children were lined up in the cafeteria of a Catholic elementary school for lunch. At the head of the table was a large pile of apples. The nun made a note, and posted on the apple tray

"Take only ONE. God is watching."

Moving further along the lunch line, at the other end of the table was a large pile of chocolate chip cookies.

A child had written a note, "Take all you want. God is watching the apples.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2004, 10:34:39 AM »

I grew up in a large and friendly apartment building, and several neighbors had a positive influence on me.

The first was Fritzi Bernstein, like Helen Trent an unmarried woman in her thirties. My mom kept a kosher kitchen, but every once in a while Fritzi would give us a call and tell my mother to send me over - she was making bacon (which I loved). We'd then have a nice private visit and enjoy adult-level conversations. (I was probably seven years old.) Fritzi had the most wonderful vocabulary and I loved the sounds of the words she used, even if I didn't really understand them.

There were two other neighbors, Phyllis and Pola. When my dad was in the hospital and my mom left early to visit him, these two women (one of whom herself went to work) not only took turns making sure I got a good breakfast before school, but went overboard with delicious French toast, pancakes, etc. That kind of consideration is never forgotten.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2004, 10:40:12 AM »

I finished Writer's Block, which I will recommend very enthusiastically in an Amazon review (to be posted this weekend).

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2004, 10:43:07 AM »

I am now in the  Snapdragon part of my life.
Part of me has lost its snap, and the other part is draggin'

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2004, 10:43:48 AM »

And before I get to work, here's the seedless pomegranate update. It's bursting with the usual delicious, juicy, messy pomegranate seeds, but the little seeds inside them (like grape seeds) are softer than in the normal variety.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2004, 11:16:12 AM »

I am especially enjoying the posts today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2004, 11:45:16 AM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm back in Richmond...

WARNING: DEEP THOUGHTS AHEAD

:-\

While driving back down I-95 this afternoon, it suddenly hit me that this weekend could possibly be my last full weekend in Richmond.  Let the walk down Nostalgia Lane begin...

I guess that thought didn't really "suddenly hit" me, rather it finally came to the forefront of my mind.  There have been various signs - for lack of a better word - over the past couple of months that have been signalling that the end of my time here in Richmond is coming to an end.  Even the "progress" of the rehearsals for Hallelujah, Baby! the past two nights seem to be a part of the those proverbial planets lining up.  With Edwina's "retirement" tomorrow... Even my father's current medical condition comes into play...  It's time to move on.

Now whether it's on to New York - which is most likely - or even just back up to DC - or to somewhere else that has not even crossed my mind yet... It's just time for a change of scene in more ways than one.

I know I could be very comfortable living here for many years to come, but there's been a sense of of unsettledness that has recently begun to bubble somewhere in my system.  -And I'm not talking about my recent crazy dietary intake.

I'm not unhappy.  In fact, I'm feeling comfortable.  But maybe a little too comfortable.  And when I get too comfortable, I get lazy.  And laziness, true laziness is too easy a trap for me to fall in.

I do love Richmond, and I will always love Richmond.  I have many good friends here, and I know I will miss them.  But I even somehow seem prepared for all the "missing".

I really do want to start sorting through all my crap and near-crap.  I really do want to start throwing out a bunch of stuff.  I really do want to sort through all the stuff I've accumulated over the past couple of years.  And that's just a totally weird feeling and mindset for me.

So... If I tend to get a bit ponderous over the next few weeks, you now know why.

END OF DEEP THOUGHTS
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2004, 11:57:24 AM »

I first heard thsis story on CNN, and here's the AP version...  ;D

Police Follow Doughnut Trail, Solve Crime

Fri Dec 3, 6:17 PM ET

HARRISBURG, Pa. - Police followed a trail of doughnuts to find a stolen Krispy Kreme delivery truck. "It has a happy ending," Swatara Township Sgt. Robert Simmonds said. "The evidence was brought back to the police station, and the cops are eating the doughnuts."

It was 12:45 a.m. Thursday when Krispy Kreme deliveryman Tim Trostle stopped at a Swatara Township convenience store and left the engine running as he made the delivery. Someone fled with the truck, but since Trostle had left the back doors open, police were able to follow a trail of doughnuts.

The doughnut trail ended before long, but police in a nearby township found a doughnut cart near the Harrisburg city line. City police found the truck near a downtown bar.

No arrests were immediately made. The truck was returned to the company.

Although Simmonds had been joking about police taking the contents of the truck, he acknowledged seeing Krispy Kreme doughnuts in a station conference room Thursday.

"I suspect that the manager from the Krispy Kreme might have given us a little thank you for our efforts," he said.
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2004, 12:06:39 PM »

TOD:  Probably the most magical adult I knew growing up was my late Uncle Charlie, my father's younger brother.  I think I've written about Charlie here before, but he was a truly incredible person who, like our esteemed BK, either "knew everyone" or knew someone who knew someone else.  Charlie, like my father and the other siblings, had a very challenging youth, with their mother dying after giving birth to a youngest child my sisters and I didn't even know existed until two years ago (she may still be alive--it gnaws at me daily), and who was given up for adoption.  My grandfather took the other five (!!) children and placed them in the Hebrew Sheltering and Guardian Society in NYC.  Charlie was always something of a rabble-rouser, and became involved in leftist politics in the 30s back when it was cool.  He became a big makher in the Abraham Lincoln Brigade (hence his connections with Frances Farmer and Leif Erickson, as well as a who's who of left-leaning showbiz folk of that era), and also at one point had the Number 2 card in the American Communist Party.  He went to Spain and fought the fascists, becoming a POW there for almost two years (in the small world department, I found his cellmate, still alive, living about two hours from me in Corvallis, Oregon a couple of years ago!).

After he returned to the US, he helped unionize the NYC docks (there is quite a bit of evidence that his friends Schulberg and Kazan based some of "On the Waterfront" on Charlie's activities).  Martin Dies of the HUAC called him "the baby-faced pinko of New York's docks."

Some time in the mid-50s Charlie made a transition into real estate when someone gave him an old Brownstone in the Village.  Charlie then became very well known for gutting old Brownstones, completely renovating the interiors and then renting them for a lot of money.  Among his tenants through the years were Clifford Odets, Jackson Pollock, Bernard Slade, James Ellison, Dustin Hoffman, Rip Torn & Gerry Page, Barbara Harris, Mel Brooks and on and on.

Charlie was famous in NYC for letting up and coming artists live rent-free in his apartments until they were making a decent living.  Dustin Hoffman did so when he was still driving taxis in NYC before Panic in Needle Park, or whatever it was that put him on the map (memory fails me right now).  There's an interesting little tidbit on the commentary to "The Producers" where you'll hear Mel Brooks talk about Dustin throwing rocks on his apartment window on W. 11th between 5th and 6th.  That was one of Charlie's buildings and one that I stayed in for several weeks in 1994 when my other Uncle, Pat, died and I had to close out his estate.

Charlie was also an "angel" for many a Broadway show.  I remember how peeved he was when Bernie Slade's "Same Time, Next Year" was the hit of the season because he had invested in it as a tax dodge.  One of his most memorable quotes to me was about BK's close personal friend, Stephen Sondheim.  "You can always count on Steve for a nice tax write-off" he said sometime after "Follies" and "Pacific Overtures" had tanked.

Anyway, Charlie always seemed to be the most worldly and wise person I had ever met.  He spoke several languages fluently (including really obscure ones like some unknown dialect of Chinese).  When I was a kid staying with him one summer he took me out on an early morning driving tour of NYC on a Sunday morning in his 1959 Jaguar (with a tv--yes, a tv--in the backseat, which was a wonder in those days).  He completely disobeyed all the traffic signals, at one point driving up on the sidewalk to get around traffic.  But everywhere he stopped, from Little Italy to Chinatown, he knew people and would talk with them in their native languages.

OK, I could go on and on, but that's probably enough for now.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 12:23:23 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

François de Paris

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2004, 12:11:42 PM »

Goodness gracious, you've found a "golden" TOD, BK!

Now, Dear Readers, it is so hard to read your confessions through my tears!

Thank you for so many human emotions!

We can use them in these days and times!

Pardon me while I reach for some tissue!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2004, 12:14:45 PM »

P.S.  One final tidbit about Charlie for you New Yorkers--Charlie managed campaigns for Paul O'Dwyer and Ed Koch.  My family is still involved in some haggling with O'Dwyer's son due to some (we think) inappropriate dealings with Charlie's Foundation, which gives grants to socially progressive organizations (Charlie's Foundation funded the famous "Shouts from the Wall" exhibit and documentary about the Abraham Lincoln Brigade).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2004, 12:21:43 PM »

I am now in the  Snapdragon part of my life.
Part of me has lost its snap, and the other part is draggin'

der Brucer
Oh, the trouble I could get into by posting a comeback line!   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2004, 12:27:02 PM »

If they asked you, you could write a book.....

François de Paris

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2004, 12:28:21 PM »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2004, 12:37:56 PM »

DRJMK, that's a great story!  Uncle Charlie sounds like one helluva mensch.

DRJose, no NYC on Monday? Curses!

Barnes & Noble was jumping today!  The time flew by, but now my feet are killing me.  As my friend Val says, the dogs are barkin'!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2004, 12:41:52 PM »

DR Jrand, not sure what you wanted to answer (that I wrote).  But when in doubt, you can always click on my name and view my last 10 posts.

Was it about Alias?  The airport?  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2004, 12:52:13 PM »

I really can't think of anyone in my life who fits in the TOD category.

I can't either. :-\

These are such wonderful stories.  I'm at work now, so I'd better get back to actually working!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2004, 01:05:46 PM »

DR Danise - When I was in LA this past summer, one of my missions was to find out exactly what BK's beloved Parisienne Cake was/is.  So, I headed over to Gelson's and asked the kind lady behind the bakery counter what constituted a Parisienne Cake.  Basically, it's a very fancy chocolate cake.  Chocolate Cake layers with Chocolate Mousse and Chocolate Buttercream between said layers.  Then the whole affair is frosted with more Chocolate Buttercream, Chocolate Whipped Cream plus some swirls of Chocolate Ganache.  Finally, the frosted cake is liberally sprinkled and coated with bits of Bittersweet Chocolate - basically large chocolate shavings.  Very good, very rich, but surprisingly light tasting.

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2004, 01:12:21 PM »

Had some time this afternoon to get through LESS THAN PERFECT, WEdnesday night's LAW & ORDER, and THE COCOANUTS.

[sigh] They've obviously never located those missing reels in the middle of the movie, and so I guess we'll be forever stuck with those dupes from some ancient 16 mm print. (The pictures goes into fuzzy focus for about 30-40 minutes).

Anyway, now I have all of their great films on DVD and can forget about tapes and laserdiscs of them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2004, 01:17:26 PM »

DRJose, no NYC on Monday? Curses!

Yeah, I know, I know... As I mentioned, there have been a few wrenches thrown into the mix.  Some good.  Some bad.  Some profitable.  So...  I may still be able to train up in the afternoon, but that 11-hour day on Tuesday keeps staring back at me from my calendar.  Then there's the 11-day on Wednesday... And then Opening on Friday, so...

I'm just trying to not fret about it - or anything at this point.  I'll make a definite decision and plan by tonight.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2004, 01:34:39 PM »

JRand and elmore, thank you for the lovely stories.  I was moved by them both.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Welcome home, Holly![/move][/u]
[/color]

Last night, for the first time since we opened, I felt like I really nailed my performance as Scrooge.  Not that I have been awful during any of the performances (at least, I don't think I have), but last night was near perfection.  I kept wishing my two cyber children had been there last night!  Hell, I just wish someone I knew had been there last night.[/size]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 01:35:29 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2004, 01:53:53 PM »

Last night, for the first time since we opened, I felt like I really nailed my performance as Scrooge.  Not that I have been awful during any of the performances (at least, I don't think I have), but last night was near perfection.  I kept wishing my two cyber children had been there last night!  Hell, I just wish someone I knew had been there last night.[/size]

Congrats, DRTCB!  I wish I'd been there to see you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2004, 02:02:20 PM »

Elmore!! you're back at work!!! Oh, happy day!
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2004, 02:03:56 PM »

I am SO looking forward to Monday evening... you know, of course, that Mondays I have my BMI workshop - but I will leave it early and may get to the bookstore by 8 or 8:15. I hope the festivities are still festering by then... What's up with Joe Allen's?? Any word on that??
PennyO
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up