Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PITH AND VINEGAR  (Read 17266 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PITH AND VINEGAR
« on: December 03, 2004, 11:58:41 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, color me happy, color you happy, color us all happy, and for our Brit friends, colour them happy, and now it is time to post until the pithy cows come home.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 10:42:44 PM by bk »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:PITH AND VINEGAR
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 03:58:20 AM »

First post huzzah!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 04:06:07 AM »

Whew!  Lovely stove photos.

Why did the elephant man sit on DR Panni's Roper?

He liked to ride the range.

MBARNUM I love Horror-Wood - their graphics are great!  Sometimes the music slows me down a bit.  Enjoyed Cal's interview.....hmmmmmmm.....so he was writing a casting agent a ticket and got discovered?  That story is as good as Lana Turner at Schwab's.  Horror-Wood published my two-part biography of Allison and couple of years ago!

Thanks everyone for the comments on AbbyNormal.  She is very quiet so far.  Miss Gone Hollywood comes home in a couple of hours.  Her heart is fine, DRJANE, her lungs are just old dog lungs - but they are fine.  Most sharpeis live only about 7 years, and Holly is almost 12, so every day is a blessing for us.  

DRMATTH our Friday night audience was subdued compared to the Wednesday (pay what you can) and Thursday (half price preview) nights, and I know in the summer, Fridays are our quietest nights.....so maybe it's just one of those things.

What a great deal on the Abner books, MR BK - and maybe one of the people who kept trying to win the ones you did, will bid on the ones you are selling and then EVERYONE will be happy!

Last night I watched a Bollywood DVD that MBARNUM sent me....KOHRAA.  It is a Bollywood version of REBECCA - with some scenes nearly identical to the Hollywood original.  The songs are subtitled (hurray) - and it is a very good movie.  I am sorry it is in b/w - I like my Bollywood numbers in eye-wrenching COLOR!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 04:11:57 AM »

TOD:  My cousin Lana Ellen Barnett.

She was five years my senior.  She lived in the small town of Cloverdale, and I would usually spend a lot of my summer at her house.  In the mornings we would teach dance and gymnastics and baton, and in the afternoon, go to the swimming pool or lake for swimming.

I thought she was the most beautiful girl in the world, the smartest girl in the world, and had the best friends EVER.  She always treated me as an equal, taught me a LOT about dance, and introduced me to wonderful movies like A SUMMER PLACE and PEYTON PLACE and PARRISH and ROME ADVENTURE.  She loved Pat Boone and Elvis Presley.

She married twice.  Her second husband was mean to her, moved her to Tennessee.  I visited her a couple of times there, sometimes with my other cousin, her sister, Lita.  Her second husband killed her and their unborn child in the summer of 1971.  My world - and the world in general - is a sadder place without her.

I think of her everyday - she still influences my choreographic decisions, my choices in music and movies, and sometimes when I am in a group of people, I still hear her laugh.

Lana was special.  I wish she were here on HHW today.

Jennifer

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 04:12:00 AM »

Wow, hardly any posts! :(

DR Emily, NOTRE DAME DE PARIS isn't in the Broadway series.  It is one of the shows at the Bell Center.

The Broadway Series is at Place Des Arts and features: CONTACT, MAMMA MIA, EVITA, and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 04:12:14 AM »

GOOD READING VIBES FOR MR BK!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 04:13:07 AM »

DRJENNIFER you posted a question for me last night, but I forget what it was.  Or maybe I was just going to write about something you wrote.

GRRRRRRRRRRR....getting old is HELL.........

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 04:54:44 AM »

Good morning, al!

Dar Friend BK, best of luck with the reading today.  That's a great story about the Li'l Abner volumes.  I only own the two volumes with the Broadway show and the film, and I'd love to have them all.

Insofar as I feel like a civilized individual, or can credit someone for being a major influence on my life, I have to thank my Aunt Jean, my Mother's older sister.  Around 1950, after several miscarriages, she was given a hysterectomy, so she and my Uncle Harold never had children.  Shortly thereafter, my brother Tom and I became her surrogate children, and we spent between 12-20 weekends a year with them.  This went on until I left home for college, and I credit her for so many things, from getting to live performances, to knowing what all the silverware at a table was used for.

In the early 1970s, when I was waffling around Southwestern Ohio, trying to determine my place in the cosmos, she abruptly dropped me from her calendar, most likely angry at my confusion and lack of career goals, and in 1976 she died of a stroke she suffered while trying to get her car out of a snow drift.  At that point there was a wide gap in our affections never to be resolved.  I like to think she would have been happy that I finally landed in New York and I know she would have loved an excuse to come and visit.  She always loved live theatre, and she really loved to shop.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 05:16:42 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 04:58:23 AM »

Here we are!

I am at left, age 15 months....Lana in the center about age 5 with doggie Target, and brother Mike, right age 2.  
 ;D

Can't find Lana's high school photos.  GRRRRRRRR...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 04:58:57 AM »

Lovely story DRELMORE.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 05:19:57 AM »

Lovely story DRELMORE.  

Thansk, DRJRand54.  Your story was quite wonderful as well.  I'm sorry your cousin met such a cruel end.  Whatever happened to the pig that killed her?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 05:32:07 AM »

Said she fell down - he walked away.  Took the wedding rings off her hand at the funeral (not easy to do).  He is still walking around and living life.  What can you do.  Karma takes awhile sometimes.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 06:04:35 AM »

I really can't think of anyone in my life who fits in the TOD category.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 06:54:37 AM »

Is it Saturday or something?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004, 06:55:14 AM »

Holly is home.....with stitches and staples....but she is walking fine.....so thanks, everyone!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2004, 07:14:35 AM »

I'd have to say the adult that comes closest to BK's description was my dance teacher - Susan Connolly. She introduced me at a very young age to movie musical music. Though she used a pianist in the studio for the first four or five years I took lessons, she'd play soundtracks to EASTER PARADE or SINGIN' IN THE RAIN for inspiration and that's where I got interested in musicals.

Also, as I was the only male in the top class for many years and she liked me, she gave me lots of solos and featured spots which brought out "my inner ham." I really did think she walked on water.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2004, 07:17:44 AM »

We found out last night that there is a strong possibility that an extra show is going to be added next weekend to accommodate ticket demands for NUNCRACKERS. It'd be a Saturday matinee. I guess we'll find out tonight if that's a "go."

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2004, 07:19:07 AM »

I haven't decided which DVDs I'll spend my afternoon with today. I had THE COCOANUTS ready to go, but then that sticky web guy came into the house yesterday and sort of upset my planned viewing schedule. I may just flip a coin when I get in from my Chinese buffet.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2004, 08:07:39 AM »

TOD:  I regret to say that there was no one like that in my life.  I had to discover those things for myself...via old movies on TV and going to the movies.

I also put myself "out there" by trying out for school plays...and surprising the hell out of people who never gave me much notice.

When I was in college my parents came to the first play I did there.  I was a townperson in "The Music Man" -- I sang, I danced, I peopled the stage.  It was the first time my folks had ever attended anything I was "in" since I was 6 or 7.  They stopped nagging me about my major after that (I had declared my major to be dramatic arts).

I have always loved books and movies about such magical people influencing the lives of others.  I haven't bemoaned the lack of one in my life, but have often wished I could be such a person for others.

I'd like to think I've helped a few people, along the way, see things in a different way.  A different slant on something is often all it takes to open up new worlds.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 08:11:34 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2004, 08:08:17 AM »

Good Morning!

Another sniffly morning for me here, but I usually have sniffly mornings.  Note to self: Remember to set up the humidifier in the bedroom every time you stay at your parents house.  -That's always seemed bass-ackwards to me: that one can get sniffly from lack of moisture in the air.  -Or something like that.  Moving on...

Topic of the Day:  Since I was a Coast Guard brat, and moved every 18-24 months while I was growing up, I'm mentioning two people.

-Mrs. Wallace my fifth grade teacher in Connecticut.  She encouraged me to be smart during a time when being smart - well, a boy being smart - was sometimes not the most popular thing to be.

-Bryan Louiselle - I mentioned him once before on the "old board".  He was two years ahead of me in high school, and I'd have to credit him with opening my eyes, ears and brain to not only the magic of musical theatre, but also to the beauty in "serious" classical music.  And pop music.  And 20th Century classical music.  And barbershop...  Music, all types of music.  What was most impressive about him was that he had absolutely no attitude in regards to his talent.  An amazing all around musician, and one helluva a pianist!  And I never felt "inferior" to his " superior" musical abilities.  Even though we were both in high school at the time, he planted the very strange and impossible idea that it could be possible for me to make a living and live a life as a musician.  ...20 years later...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2004, 08:13:06 AM »

Well, I need to get myself packed up and start heading back down to Richmond in a few.

I'm afraid to say that my Monday plans seem to be taking me in a different direction.  South instead of North, up to NYC.  I have a few more phone calls to make and receive today, so keep your fingers crossed...  -I really want some of the Parisienne Cake!

;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2004, 08:15:49 AM »

Is this the friend you "found" in NYC on the old board, DRJOSE?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2004, 08:45:44 AM »

I'm up, and must hurry and get ready and anoint myself with rare oils and myrhhhhhhhhh.  I'm going to try to delay leaving until ten, which is when I'm supposed to pick up the cake, then I have some stuff to attend to, then I'll mosey on over to the bookshop.

Danise

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2004, 09:04:32 AM »

Good morning all.

Question of the day—what is a Parisienne cake?  I’ve never heard of that.

Bruce, I am impressed with your packing.  If you only could have seen what all I hauled to NYC when I went---OY!  I had a huge (and I mean HUGE) suitcase, my suitbag, a carry on and my purse.  

Now you would think the purse was a small thing but you don’t know my idea of a purse.  They have been known as the deadliest weapons known to man.  If I ever hit someone with it (provided I could both lift and swing the thing),  I guarantee you that person would be dead.

I guess that was another one of the reasons I was disappointed with NY.  I was under the impression that that it like the glamour capital of the world.  I have to laugh now when I think how many dresses I tried on and how worried I was wouldn’t be dressed good enough for the plays/evening.  Just that for that one night alone I bought four different dresses.  

Oh well, live and learn.  Next time I’ll wear my ratty jeans, pack a toothbrush and my tongue scrapper and I’ll be set.

Jrand, I am so sorry for your loss.  Please tell me that thing at least went to jail for what he did.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2004, 09:29:09 AM »

JR - What a lovely and sad story.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2004, 09:30:30 AM »

Elmore - Sad that you were estranged at the end...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2004, 09:37:47 AM »

I'll be leaving shortly, but am trying to stretch out my time before I do.  Have you ever stretched time?  How did time feel about it?  Time, after all, is a cruel mistress and likes to do the stretching herself.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2004, 09:46:43 AM »

MR BK - sometimes, time snaps back!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2004, 09:46:45 AM »

Oh, and keep the home fries burning, won't you?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2004, 09:47:40 AM »

And if you don't, just remember, time may be a cruel mistress but bk is a much crueler mistress and will bitch-slap you from here to eternity and hell and back.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up