Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ART OF SONG  (Read 3787 times)

ChasSmith

Re: THE ART OF SONG
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 05:01:52 AM »

Good morning,all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 05:03:05 AM »

Another one of these odd Mondays, with some people off work (and no mail or banking) and others working as usual.

ChasSmith

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 05:10:48 AM »

Me, I look forward to a productive day at home, and I have a rehearsal to play tonight.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 05:27:04 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 05:27:53 AM »

I have a day at home with the IRS work.  This morning, I will print invoices for last year's Amazon.com purchases.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 05:28:25 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 05:29:44 AM »

The thunderstorm returned in the middle of the night and was too close for comfort, so I couldn't sleep the whole night with the sleep mask on. I feel like a zombie.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 05:31:22 AM »

Surviving the day vibes for DR JOHN G.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 05:31:44 AM »

DR TCB - one of the networks is doing BYE BYE, BIRDIE! but that might be FOX.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 05:33:15 AM »

Nice reading about the sanging contest.  Yes it was very nice of MR BK and KAY COLE to talk to the "not saved" singer.....I wonder why the "saved" singer WAS saved?  Sounds kind of pre planned to me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 05:33:40 AM »

TOD:

If you want my opinion -- just re-read the notes and what MR BK wrote.

John G.

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 05:42:31 AM »

Went out to investigate. The cat was there and all was right in the backyard except for some standing water.

Up front, my yard was okay. But two doors down, a tree was struck by lightning.
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 05:51:14 AM »

TOD:

I know this response is going to get me in trouble here, but overall I don't really care for the Broadway musicals that are coming out these days.

Why?

For me, the songs are not memorable. 

Back in the day, a Broadway musical would produce half a dozen songs or more that people left the theater humming and became standards. 

Where are those songs today?

I know that HAMILTON is the biggest hit in years, and I've heard the complete score...but it did nothing for me.  Probably because I'm not a fan of rap.

I did enjoy the music from THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY, and if I listened to the CD a couple more times, I'd probably be humming a couple of the songs.

Maybe I'm just getting too old to appreciate this new kind of music.

:( :( :(
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 05:52:30 AM »

TOD:

I like some recent musicals, but I'm pickier about them than I am about, say, bad '60s musicals. Because, hey, they just don't write 'me like Her First Roman anymore.

I do like stuff from Lin-Manuel Miranda, Cyndi Lauper, Steve Martin and Edie Brickell, and Sting over the works of Ms. Tesoro, Adam Guettel and the like. When I go to New York next month, it's to hear Cole Porter and possibly the new Flaherty and Athens, maybe some Sondheim.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 05:58:55 AM »

Just saw a live news post of one of those huge transmission towers less than a mile from the house.  It seems the wind just bent it in half.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2017, 06:06:20 AM »

How did you fare in the storm, Druxy? Was it bad in Austin?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2017, 06:25:30 AM »

I just found out that we have a Vibes Event Center inSan Antonio and that the Village People are playing there on July 4.
― Voltaire

KevinH

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2017, 06:30:32 AM »

Good Morning!

ChasSmith

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2017, 06:47:06 AM »

Glad to hear DR John G. suffered no damage.

Too bad, though, about the resulting zombie effect!

ChasSmith

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2017, 07:20:24 AM »

Continuing ear vibes for BK!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2017, 07:37:10 AM »

How did you fare in the storm, Druxy? Was it bad in Austin?

I heard a couple claps of thunder during the night, but I slept through it.

My wife woke up and watched the thing.  Said it was HUGE.
You can dream…or you can do.

Ginny

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2017, 07:58:31 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  I vegged all day yesterday and read Miss Carter's War by Sheila Hancock for a book discussion next week.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2017, 07:59:45 AM »

TOD - Richard and I went to see the HD broadcast of NEWSIES on Saturday and I thought all the songs sounded alike.  We couldn't really understand the words, either.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Amy

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2017, 08:06:33 AM »

Sorry I didn't read Bruce's notes from yesterday, so I couldn't comment on the whole ear thing sooner, but here's my story:

One day, out of the blue or magenta, I lost partial hearing in my left ear. It felt like it was plugged, but it wasn't. I should have gone to my doctor immediately, even though it means waiting for three or four hours in the waiting room, but instead I made an appointment for two weeks from that day. My appointment came and my doctor said it was probably a virus and put me on a Prednisone "pack" meaning you start with 60 mg the first day and then taper down during the course of a week. She also wrote me a referral to an ENT doctor. Low and behold my hearing was completely restored by the fourth or fifth day, but immediately went wonky again after I stopped take the drug. She prescribed one more pack and I called the ENT who said he couldn't see me for three weeks. Even my doctor called and begged him to see me sooner, but he wouldn't budge. The second "pack" didn't do much of anything. My appointment came and he said there was a 99% chance it was a virus and to come back in three months. I waited six weeks and my hearing seemed to get worse. I called the office again and they said they had no openings before my scheduled appointment, so I called my insurance and they referred me to a new ENT who saw me the very next day. We both agreed that it made no sense that my hearing would come and go with the Prednisone if it was a virus. If it was a virus, my hearing should gradually get better and better. The first ENT should have seen that and known it wasn't a virus. The hearing tests showed I lost about 50% hearing, but only in the low frequencies. He ordered blood tests that showed nothing and also a CT scan. The CT scan showed calcium build-up in an artery, so he ordered a CT angiogram which showed no blockage. So, good news - I didn't have a mini-stroke - but still no diagnoses or course of treatment. A week or two later, I started getting "attacks" of extremely loud ringing in my left ear. The ringing would last about an hour and then disappear. I also heard distorted sound. I remember sitting in a Kritzerland show and being very annoyed that the people at the table next to us kept talking during the songs, but I turned and would see that no one was talking. It was just my wonky ear. There was no rhyme or reason for when these attacks would occur. Eventually, with my own research and with time, the ENT and I both came to the conclusion that I have AIED or Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease. AIED must be treated with large doses of Prednisone within the first 30 days or you're screwed and the hearing loss is permanent. Remember, I couldn't even get in to see the first ENT until 37 days had already passed and he sent me away for 6 weeks. The new ENT put me on a 10-day course of Prednisone starting with 80 mg, but it was too l late. The good news is that the attacks of extremely loud ringing and the distortion stopped after a couple weeks and haven't returned. And my left ear doesn't feel plugged anymore as my brain has adapted to the deafness. Every once in a while I test it by holding the phone up to each of my ears and listening to the dial tone. The tone in my left ear isn't quieter, it's just at a higher pitch - that's how I know I only lost hearing on the lower frequencies. I went onto Amazon.com and got a hearing "enhancer" for about $150 that works pretty well, but half the time I forget to wear it. I'm barely aware that I have any hearing loss, but I don't work in the music business.

All that said, AIED is extremely rare and there's a 99% chance Bruce has a virus. But don't wait!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:09:36 AM by Amy »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2017, 08:11:10 AM »

Much as I try, I find the Hamilton score abysmal: limited, simolistic, aimless tunes, and I loathe rap and hip-hop.  I do admire Alex Lacamoire's assembling this into something.

FJL

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2017, 08:31:08 AM »

I guess I'm glad to have seen the show HAMILTON before I heard the album, becuse the whole thing works like a thrilling dream even from the (relatively) cheap seats at the Rodgers Theatre.

For incredibly gutsy (how brave of the producers to have taken a financial chance on this story!) musical theater, there's the incredibly dark-themed but frequently funny DEAR EVAN HANSEN, which even managed to have its album debut on the Billboard charts in the Top Ten (they say first time since CAMELOT).  I suspect the starring performance by Ben Platt, who has a movie following, had something to do with that, but the show itself is so well-done even beyond the performances.  One of those shows that, as  they used to say more often, is so fascinating that people will likely be discussing its flaws for years, even decades, to come. 

FJL

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2017, 08:53:56 AM »

For the two (or so) people who know "Waving Through a Window" from DEAR EVAN HANSEN, here was my take on Evan Hansen seeing HAMILTON from a crappy seat:

WAITED FOR A DISCOUNT
tune of WAVING THROUGH A WINDOW

[Verse]

I'd learned to look for a break
Saw Wicked from the aisle row E
I knew the right clicks to make
To get the close seats real frugally

Saw the revival of Hair
Half price for center in row J
Will Swensen danced on my chair

And that was something, I’d say

Lucked out, lucked out with each one
I got seats really close
Lucked out, lucked out and had fun
But not this show, so I’m morose

[Chorus]
In the back row I sit looking down

Where I see the glitterati of the town
But I’m stuck, stuck, stuck with a bad seat
’Cause I waited for a discount

I look real hard, that might be Michael Pence
Why would he be here, no that would not make sense
While I'm watch, watch, watching people watch
’Cause I waited for a discount

Oh, I can’t really see, does anybody play to
Mezz row P?

When you sit in side rear mezz
Did you really see the show
Don’t care what anybody says
The answer’s really no
(repeat and build)

Repeat chorus

John G.

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2017, 08:59:40 AM »

Horrible story about you ear, DR Amy.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2017, 09:06:51 AM »

Dear Rvan won't be shipped until later this week. Still, fun lyric, Fred.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2017, 09:07:18 AM »

Fred, how was your weekend out of town?
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up