Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: DIAL 'M' FOR MUSICAL  (Read 7542 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: DIAL 'M' FOR MUSICAL
« Reply #150 on: May 18, 2017, 04:52:33 PM »

In Feb. or March 1979, family madness drove me out of my parents' home.  i had nowhere to go, so for about a week, I lived at the Arts In Middletown building where I was directing The Beggar's Opera.  I was sleeping on the floor, and bathing every day at the YMCA, thanks to my membership there.

One day at rehearsal, Linda Lehmkuhl, who played oe of the whores, asked me if the rumor was true that I was essentially living at the AIM Building.  When I admitted it, she said, I've got a spare room and you can come and live with me and my boys.  So, from then until I moved to New York in the middle of June 1979, I had a large, wonderful bedroom in Linda's home.  She's a wonderfully crazy lady with an enormous heart, and I am still grateful for her kindness in the midst of major turmoil. Her sons were in high school and junior high school, and it was probably my happiest time of six years in Middletown. 

Tonight on Facebook, on a theatre page, a Vance Lehmkuhl asked me: didn't we live together?  The answer is yes.  we are now Facebook friends and today is Linda's birthday.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:57:49 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: May 18, 2017, 04:53:06 PM »

Page 6!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2017, 04:54:50 PM »

HA!  DR VIXMOM.  I was going to go with DR FJL's answer.....

Great story DR ELMORE!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »

Perhaps she saw John G's post about how chili shouldn't be sweet and came to HHW to set the record straight.

Thanks Jeanne I nearly forgot.   John would HATE my chili... No beans and the meat is nicely minced but I use tomatoes AND the dreaded brown sugar....

The chili starts out tasting sweet but builds to a medium burn...

I don't see the sense of burning your mouth off either...some at the chili contest don't think the chili  is hot  enough unless you experience actual physical pain upon ingesting it
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:57:34 PM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2017, 04:58:16 PM »

Ok I have to do a couple f things before sunset

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!

Jane

« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2017, 04:59:57 PM »

Travel vibes for DR JANE.

Thank you.  While the plane was delayed a bit all went well and we are happy with our car rental.

Jane

« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2017, 05:00:11 PM »

Have a safe flight, Jane!

Thank you.

Jane

« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2017, 05:00:43 PM »

Travel vibes for DR Jane. Should that be a perpetual statement?

😁

Jane

« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2017, 05:15:37 PM »

Jane, my favorite food store is across the street from Erik's office. It's a bit of a hike from my apartment.

Oops, well it is your reward for having to go to Erik ;)

Jane

« Reply #160 on: May 18, 2017, 05:16:37 PM »

Travel Vibes for Jane and Keith, our resident gypsies

Thank.   After this week are looking forward to staying home for awhile.

Jane

« Reply #161 on: May 18, 2017, 05:19:10 PM »

In Feb. or March 1979, family madness drove me out of my parents' home.  i had nowhere to go, so for about a week, I lived at the Arts In Middletown building where I was directing The Beggar's Opera.  I was sleeping on the floor, and bathing every day at the YMCA, thanks to my membership there.

One day at rehearsal, Linda Lehmkuhl, who played oe of the whores, asked me if the rumor was true that I was essentially living at the AIM Building.  When I admitted it, she said, I've got a spare room and you can come and live with me and my boys.  So, from then until I moved to New York in the middle of June 1979, I had a large, wonderful bedroom in Linda's home.  She's a wonderfully crazy lady with an enormous heart, and I am still grateful for her kindness in the midst of major turmoil. Her sons were in high school and junior high school, and it was probably my happiest time of six years in Middletown. 

Tonight on Facebook, on a theatre page, a Vance Lehmkuhl asked me: didn't we live together?  The answer is yes.  we are now Facebook friends and today is Linda's birthday.

This is a wonderful heartwarming story.

vixmom

« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »

This is a wonderful heartwarming story.

Happy birthday to the lovely Linda.  I must admit I was taken aback at first as I read "played" as "was a "
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:09:14 PM by vixmom »

Danise

« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2017, 06:14:44 PM »

Evening all.  Not much to say-I'm feeling a little down.  Today marked the 10th anniversary of my Mom's passing.  Sometimes I think is it really 10 YEARs or was it just yesterday?

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2017, 06:26:24 PM »

Vibes of comfort to DR Danise.

Catherine

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2017, 06:36:45 PM »

My thoughts and prayers to you DR Danise!!!

Catherine

• Like so much fish!
« Reply #166 on: May 18, 2017, 06:44:32 PM »

I purchased INTO THE WATER by Paula Hawkins, also author of GIRL ON A TRAIN.  It is a psychological novel..

Ginny

« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2017, 06:44:42 PM »

{{{{{Hugs}}}}} to DR Danise...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2017, 06:49:24 PM »

Linda is, indeed, a lovely person.  Last time I saw her was at Dayton's Schuster Center when we were there for a Broadway tour and she was ushering. 
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2017, 06:52:05 PM »

Just came from my book group's First Ladies Roundtable, for which we each read about a different First Lady.  We ran the gamut from Dolley Madison to Barbara Bush.  I read MRS. IKE, a biography of Mamie by their granddaughter Susan Eisenhower.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2017, 06:53:26 PM »

Back from a very good rehearsal and then an omelet and bagel.  So happy to be home and to have the evening to myself.  Got the one other Shostakovich box I'd been wanting and am uploading now.  Another Russian conductor very well thought of.  Just started listening and so far, enjoyable. 

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2017, 06:55:58 PM »

That's so cool, Larry!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2017, 06:58:35 PM »

I spent a goodly portion of today not only blocking but revising as well - I really have no idea how the authors will react, I only know my cast could not play the dialogue as written and wisely I always read through the scene as written and the entire room would be convulsed in laughter by the end of the scene because it was, in so many cases, just wrong.  I'll give you one example - someone's sister has died in the show.  A character comes in to tell the surviving sister the news - and when she gets past the first bit of dialogue that invoked laughter, she then said something along the lines of: "Your sister, (name of sister here), died."  Now why would someone who knows the surviving sister really well say the name of the dead sister, and I mean the COMPLETE name, first and last, as if this name might be news to the sister.  That's the kind of thing I'm attending to, and my actors are so happy I know how to deal with it because they literally would not be able to say the line with a straight face.  And there was worse, but I had two doozies in a row and both play so much better now, and there's actually some touching stuff in the show and what's left is really theirs just with all the unnecessary and unintentionally funny things gone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: May 18, 2017, 07:20:02 PM »

Jane, are you familiar with the natural foods store, Rainbow Acres? On Washington Blvd, about two blocks east of Costco, other side of the street. (AKA my favorite food store.) They have very good prepared foods--salads, sandwiches, hot entrees, and also a juice bar. I warn you their desserts are to die for. Vegetarian-friendly. I was thinking you might want a light meal while in LA.  Restaurants can be so tiresome!   ;)

www.rainbowacresca.com

vixmom

« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2017, 07:37:14 PM »

((((Hugs ))))) for Danise.  I hope your memories bring you comfort

ChasSmith

« Reply #175 on: May 18, 2017, 07:44:02 PM »

Back from yet another evening of cleaning up loose ends, some of them for other people.  Now, for the next few weeks, on to my own committed projects, saints be praised.

ChasSmith

« Reply #176 on: May 18, 2017, 07:44:33 PM »

Nice story about the wonderful Middletown family, DR Elmore.

George

« Reply #177 on: May 18, 2017, 07:52:46 PM »

Evening all.  Not much to say-I'm feeling a little down.  Today marked the 10th anniversary of my Mom's passing.  Sometimes I think is it really 10 YEARs or was it just yesterday?

{{{Hugs and Vibes of Comfort!!}}}
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #178 on: May 18, 2017, 07:53:21 PM »

Well, I need to leave work and go home now.  It's about time, too!

Be back later.

George

« Reply #179 on: May 18, 2017, 07:53:28 PM »

But before I go...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up