Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SNOWY AND BLOWY AND MISTLETOEY  (Read 29755 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:SNOWY AND BLOWY AND MISTLETOEY
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2004, 07:57:54 AM »

Good morning. Sorry I disappeared before saying hello, Jose. I didn't see you post on the marizipan stollen. Yum.

Ce ne fait rien...

-And I believe there's one slice left in the package... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2004, 08:01:08 AM »

PAGE TWO DANCE!!!

THE CHRISTMAS POLKA!!!!

*Actually, I have the sheet music to that somewhere.  And I believe it's an "original" - lovely old-timey graphic on the cover.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 08:11:53 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2004, 08:25:01 AM »

...Now playing... Roberto Alagna's "Bel Canto" CD... Hmm... Another CD I bought a year or two, but am finally listening to now...  Hmmm...

Some of the singing is very nice, but some of it also comes across as barking.  But I guess that's his way of sounding "virile and commanding" on this album.  -And I still don't like the way his wife, Angela Gheorghiu, sounds on record from time to time.  I've heard her live, and her voice is not as "white" in person as it is on record.

And the liner notes also provide some interesting entertainment:

"In the perilous range, the voice becomes more clear and limpid.  The accompaniment lightens, giving pride of place to vocal prowess."

"Clear diction is of the essence, and for the gourmets, a final high D flat is the cherry on the cake."

..and my personal favorite:

"Then the memory of lost love demands that the interpreter sing legatissimo, in a moving, nostalgic way - and this in a difficult tessitura.  My regular record producer David Groves and I found it hard to choose between the three versions available to us: one pianissimo and very light, another more heroic though very impressive, and finally this one, more measured, a happy medium between the other two."

-My question is: Why not just offer all three versions on the disc then?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2004, 08:35:53 AM »

Oh!  And the wind today!  The Wind!

There have been some sustained gusts every now and then.  And very strong too!  The kind that start making the windows rattle... and the roof creak a little bit...

Thankfully, no flying dogs, girls on bicycles, witches or monkeys in sight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2004, 08:38:26 AM »

Dear Jane is leaving today in the early afternoon.  We had a lovely walk around the neighborhood, and actually saw the most interesting house, which, for some reason, I'd never seen before.  So interesting that I'm going to take my camera over there so you can see it.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2004, 08:44:29 AM »

I'd like a new Toshiba 52" DLP high definition television. The only reason I haven't bought it for myself is that there's not a thing wrong with my 42' HDTV I'm now using, and it would seem to be just a foolish expenditure since my set works just fine and has a gorgeous picture.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2004, 08:46:47 AM »

The only revisal I've seen that I thought worked wonderfully well was the new CABARET. I saw the original on Broadway, and the new version worked as well in the 1990s as the original worked in the 1960s. And I prefer the changes they've made to the new version even if Cliff had to lose that gorgeous "Why Should I Wake Up?"

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2004, 08:50:09 AM »

On the question of the dubber for Dorothy Dandridge in PORGY AND BESS, it was Adele Addison.

My soundtrack CD of CARMEN JONES identifies Marilyn Horne as the vocalist. There was no attempt to hide the fact that Dandridge wasn't doing her own singing.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2004, 09:01:47 AM »

I just saw Carmen Jones for the first time a few weeks ago.  Isn't Belafonte dubbed, too, at least in the more operatic sections?

Re:  gift.  I would like a production of Starcrossed done at an Equity theater in an exotic locale with my favorite actress playing Frances and perhaps with a relative of Frances directing.  Wait.....I think maybe I might be receiving that gift!!  Stay tuned....
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2004, 09:07:19 AM »

I'm already hungry, yet I am saving myself for dinner, which won't be until seven.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2004, 09:11:17 AM »

Back from Part Deux of The Walk. After leaving bk at his house, (and it was fun listening to Jane and bk talking of shared memories of their teen years) DR Jane and I walked briskly back to my place, chatting up a storm. We dished, we dashed, we pranced bigtime. It was splendid.
I then got in her rental car with DR Jane (parked in front of chez moi) and rode with her for a couple of blocks to make sure she was on the right road back to her friends' place - after which I walked briskly back home. Good exercise!
And yes, the house bk is talking about is wonderously bizarre. I'm looking forward to the pics.

JMK

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2004, 09:11:59 AM »

I'm already hungry, yet I am saving myself for dinner, which won't be until seven.

Self-cannibalism is so festive.   :o

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2004, 09:13:42 AM »

Speaking of bizarre houses, have any of you Angelinos seen Audrey Geisel's (Mrs. Dr. Seuss) house in West (IIRC) Hollywood?  It is this bizarre black stucco thing that looks like it came out of a Flinstones episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2004, 09:15:43 AM »

I just saw Carmen Jones for the first time a few weeks ago.  Isn't Belafonte dubbed, too, at least in the more operatic sections?

Yep, his dubber is LeVern Hutcherson. And Diahann Carroll didn't do her own singing either. Her dubber is Bernice Peterson.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2004, 09:17:47 AM »

Oh!  And the wind today!  The Wind!

BK visted a Wind Friend, Maria, yesterday.
Does you Wind have a name?

(don't, people, don't!)

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2004, 09:19:34 AM »

Self-cannibalism is so festive.   :o

Well played!

Take a bow!

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2004, 09:20:05 AM »

I usually eat lunch with a friend on Monday, but he called a little while ago to say we couldn't do it today. Ah, me, and me with nothing thawed from my freezer. So, I took out some frozen ground beef for spaghetti sauce and will now have to wait all day for it to thaw. I'll be eating much later today than I normally do, so I'll be having a snack at some point this afternoon.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2004, 09:23:32 AM »

Not exactly what I hoped for, but:

::note to self: invite Jose for window washing-party::

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2004, 09:33:18 AM »

Lovely photos of Les petites ouisioux.

Looking forward to the photos of the unusual house.

I like the WAGON score very much.  "I Was Born Under a Wandrin' Star" is very poetic.  I even like the movie a bit.  

"You was down at the creek bare beam and buck nekkid at eight a.m. this morning?"

"Well would you rather I be down at the creek bare beam and buck nekkid at high noon?"

DR JMK this is wonderful and astonishing news, you must keep us informed!  And maybe the author will let you video tape....LOL.

Tom Turkey went away but he came back home!

My gift would be similar the DRMATT's request.  I don't have widescreen or HDTV - and it would be nice to have.  I love watching movies and DVD's and the technology of the hardware probably should match the technology of the software.  :)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2004, 09:37:56 AM »

Yes, a really nice, big plasma HD TV would be a most wonderful Christmas present!!! That would be my other choice!!  ;D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2004, 09:38:02 AM »

A gift to warm the cockles of my heart...  Well, I love old toys, even faux old toys. Robots, merry-go-rounds, rocket ships, dogs with blinking eyes and curly tails. So I guess something like that would make me smile. (Although I own all of the above.)
Happily, I can't think of anything I've really been lusting after. What makes me enjoy a gift is when I know the giver has really put some effort and thought into finding just the right thing for me, rather than some generic present that may have cost a lot but has no particular signifcance.

Oh, if no toys are available, I could settle for a first class ticket to London or New York with accomodations at a marvy hotel and tickets (perfect seats, of course) to 5 or 6 excellent plays/musicals. I just hope I don't get two of those this year. It's a bitch having to return.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2004, 09:43:35 AM »

.. I could settle for a first class ticket to London or New York with accomodations at a marvy hotel and tickets (perfect seats, of course) to 5 or 6 excellent plays/musicals. I just hope I don't get two of those this year. It's a bitch having to return.

Silly girl, don't return, go twice!

der "always does anything twice" Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2004, 09:49:50 AM »

Greetings from cold SW Ohio - when I logged into my favorite Cincinnati radio station (WGUC) on my compter just now, Naomi said, "Temperature is all the way up to 13! (F).

Health vibes to Ann, Jose's dad, elmore, and anyone else who's mentioned feeling poorly in the last few days.  Note to elmore from Doctor Lucy - cover those ears when you're out and about!

Safe travels to Jane (I've missed your posts!) and others who are going "over the river and through the woods" this week.

Christmas preparations are in full gear at our house and I realized this morning that this is the first holiday season in 20 years that I've worked full time.  No wonder I'm stressed and haven't had much time to chat with you lately.

TOD - I'd really like a pied-a-terre in Manhattan that I could use for more frequent stays in the city.  My week there this past October, during which I spent time with Elmore and other friends, saw 3 shows, and had a delightful entire day at the Metropolitan Museum of Art is hard to get out of my system.  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2004, 09:57:56 AM »

Okay, here is the wacky but oddly endearing house.  Not sure what order these will appear in, but here is, I think, the front of the house.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2004, 09:59:00 AM »

This is all hand-designed mosaics and tiles.  Here's a strange thing located near the sidewalk.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2004, 09:59:16 AM »

Nice for an evening stroll, what?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2004, 09:59:38 AM »

And now, some assorted views:

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2004, 10:00:11 AM »

More

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2004, 10:00:26 AM »

Amazon.com venting time for me.

Why is it they always seem to have technical glitches whenever I order from them?

This current "situation" is actually sort of funny.

I ordered a gift on dec 14th.  It said the latest it would ship out was dec 19th and that it would arrive dec 22-24 (it was guaranteed for xmas).

Anyhow on dec 15 or 16 it goes into preparing to ship mode.  So I am happy because now I know the shipment will definitely arrive in time for xmas.

But it stays in "prepare to ship" mode wed-thurs-fri-sat-sun.  Anyhow by Friday I knew something was wrong.  Because I've bought from the amazons a lot.  And I know things go out the same day when they are being prepared.

So i write an email.

OMG, i hate form email responses, since they never answer my questions.  

They say my order is preparing to ship.

Wow, they are geniuses.  They saw the same written note in my account i saw.

Second email. I explain how many days my item has been preparing to ship and that something is wrong.

I get some blah answer.

Third email, I ask them to forward the message directly to the supervisor telling them it is now past dec 19th and item if shipped then would only arrive dec 22-24.

(oh btw, the 2nd lovely email response told me to contact them again if i didn't get a shipping confirmation by dec 25th). Gee they are bright.

Third response was a good one.  They told me there was a technical glitch. Only problem is this glitch won't allow them to cancel my first order.

But because it is the holidays and because they know their service has sucked. They said they are sending out another shipment today 1 day delivery.

Okay fine.

So i go into my account to see. And the original order shipped today (although it still may only get there dec 24th).

But now i see 3 additional orders (four in total) all for the same item. One says it is going out today, one says tomorrow.

OMG, what did this person do???  My poor friend is gonna get 4 huge comforters for his daughter for xmas.

I am so not amused. :)

Oy. So i emailed again.  Can't wait to see what they say.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2004, 10:00:53 AM »

And another
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up