Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SNOWY AND BLOWY AND MISTLETOEY  (Read 29764 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SNOWY AND BLOWY AND MISTLETOEY
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2004, 10:04:05 AM »

Again

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2004, 10:14:25 AM »

OMG it is so cold here. I think it's like -30C or something ridiculous.  I had to tape up my bedroom windows, cause my room was freezing!

Thanks to DRs Jose and Der Brucer.  I truly appreciate your help.

Here is one link for a computer (that I was given by the person who wants the computer).

This one is not a laptop, but supposedly has all the requirements.  I just do not know how to go about finding similar models on other sites.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_dp_desktop1_1?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2004, 10:15:42 AM »

DR JENNIFER it is a nightmare.  I had a PLEASANT experience with Amazon.com this year that I have written about previously.  They will take care of it....eventually.  But like you, I HATE those automated emails and ways to respond.  But someone there DOES read them!

Wow!  What a house!  It almost looks like the work of the late Tony Duquette - I wonder if a friend of his lives in the area?!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2004, 10:17:12 AM »

DR JENNIFER - it might be a long shot - but you might type "laptops" in at www.epinions.com

Consumers give opinions about electronics they have bought, and usually dealers are listed along with the different computers.  It's free and you don't have to join to read the "reviews".

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2004, 10:19:26 AM »

Wow - under Electronics at Epinions there are 117 products listed.  Good luck!

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2004, 10:19:31 AM »

That is some kind of strange house, BK.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2004, 10:19:43 AM »

Note the gas pump

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2004, 10:20:52 AM »

Another

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2004, 10:26:01 AM »

DR Jrand, yes the automated responses drive me nuts.  I mean it is one thing if they answer the question. But they never do.  And I am a very demanding customer.

I even wrote "please do not send me a form letter" but it did not work.

The thing is some of the people reading the emails we send must be stupid.  I mean sometimes their answers are so dumb!

And yes, they will fix this.  They already started to (by sending out an additional same shipment by 1 day courier).

I'm just afraid my friend will get 4 packages.  And while he can just write "refuse shipment" on them, it is still a pain for him.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2004, 10:28:05 AM »

BK - Did you happen to notice if the house might "light up" at night during this holiday season?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2004, 10:30:14 AM »

re: the house

Are those things for Xmas or are they there year-round?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2004, 10:36:45 AM »

I don't think they have anything to do with xmas.  I'll try to drive by it tonight to see if it lights up, although I didn't see any bulbs or anything that would lead one to believe it would light up.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2004, 10:38:24 AM »

It's very peculiar - I feel I should be writing away, but I have decided not to write any more this year - to start fresh for the new year.  I have made a couple of decisions regarding the two projects, which I'll share with you at that time.  But, I keep wanting to open the documents and do something.  The only thing I will start doing during the next two weeks is to begin writing an article on Li'l Abner for Scarlet Street.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2004, 10:38:35 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Dogs let out...
Dogs fed...
Father fed...
(He let himself out...) ;)

My nephew, John Michael, is over now while his mom is finishing up her Christmas shopping.  While eating lunch, he commented that he was "hypnotized" by the big cup of Coca-Cola that his mother had bought from Taco Bell.  Hmm...  After some creative bargaining, he eventually did eat some lunch... Chicken soup.  -He didn't like the "salad" in his burrito.

So, now he's playing a computer game...

And I'm about ready for a nap...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2004, 10:46:30 AM »

For the friend who needs for nothing:

A One Pound Foturne Cookie!
..the ONLY gigantic hand-dipped fortune cookie measuring over 11" in circumference and weighing just under 1 pound. Our gigantic fortune cookies are personalized to say anything you want in a BIG, BIG way! It's a gift and a greeting card all in one! Inside we'll insert your own personalized message - up to 10 sentences long!

Order from Good Fortunes

And, gee whiz, they are only $26.50 (and a mere $18.50 delivery charge!)

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2004, 10:51:52 AM »

For the friend who needs for nothing:

A One Pound Foturne Cookie!Order from Good Fortunes

And, gee whiz, they are only $26.50 (and a mere $18.50 delivery charge!)

der Brucer

They're actually quite good.  And the $18.50 charge is for overnight delivery since they include a chill-pack to keep the chocolate from melting.

;)

There are few other fortune cookie companies out there...

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2004, 10:52:45 AM »

A curious mind want's to know:

Luigi Bormioli "Van Gogh" 64-oz. Pitcher

Is it called a "Van Gogh" 'cause you can get EARly delivery?

der (that's one hellofa martini) Brucer
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 11:00:07 AM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2004, 10:59:35 AM »

My entry for the Xmas Tacky Parade:
Tacky tree museum a holiday treat

BREVARD, North Carolina (AP) -- The guest book was blank on a recent morning at the world's only museum for aluminum Christmas trees.

It was impossible to tell whether no one had been visiting -- or if visitors were simply ashamed to admit having stopped at a shrine to holiday tackiness.

What began as a joke in 1991, with a single shiny tree retrieved from the trash, has become an obsession for curator Stephen Paul Jackson. The affable 48-year-old home designer confesses to fond feelings for his collection of eversilver trees.

Jackson struggles to keep a straight face as he recites the full name of his museum: The Aluminum Tree and Aesthetically Challenged Seasonal Ornament Museum and Research Center, or ATOM for short.

The "Elvis Tree" has photos of the King hanging from its branches. The "Toilet Tree" has copper-colored floats for ornaments and is adorned with strands of pink, yellow and blue shower curtain connectors. The tree skirt is a toilet seat cover, and there's a matching knitted cover for a spare role of TP.

The museum also features a silver-belled "Bing Crosby Tree" and a blue-limbed "Frank Sinatra Tree" that pays tribute to Ol' Blue Eyes.

One tree sports pink flamingo ornaments, while another, sent from Australia features koala bear and kangaroo ornaments.

The "Election Bush" has a political theme, and was particularly popular four years ago, during the Florida recount, Jackson said: "We decorated it with swinging chads."

The peak of holiday season tackiness may be Jackson's "Tammy Faye Tree," complete with one-time televangelist Tammy Faye Bakker's signature false eyelashes, a pair of pink high heels and ornaments from Heritage USA, the Christian theme park near Charlotte that she and then-husband Jim Bakker operated in the late 1980s.

(Above extracted from CNN)

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2004, 11:03:27 AM »

DR Jay said:

The Messiah was quite nicely done.  The Los Angeles Master Chorale is a very accomplished ensemble, and their contribution to the evening was the highlight, though the four soloists and the Pasadena Symphony were quite strong as well…………

I have tried sitting through The Messiah several times, but I just can’t seem to get a Handel on it.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2004, 11:12:56 AM »

A curious mind want's to know:

Luigi Bormioli "Van Gogh" 64-oz. Pitcher

Is it called a "Van Gogh" 'cause you can get EARly delivery?

der (that's one hellofa martini) Brucer

Actually, to my eyes, it looks like the pitcher has one "ear".

Of course, if it was just called "Luigi's Pitcher", it wouldn't cost as much.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2004, 11:26:48 AM »

I have tried sitting through The Messiah several times, but I just can’t seem to get a Handel on it.

GET THE HOOK!!!!!!

Dear Friend BK, all that house is missing is a toilet on the lawn and a fiddler on the roof.  Loved the photos!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2004, 11:46:55 AM »

Jennifer, that's horrible what Amazon.com is doing!  Fortunately, I've never had any problem like that with them.  GOOD LUCK!

BK, those are some pretty interesting works of "art!"  I wonder if the current owner(s) made them or if they bought the house that way.

As to the Topic of the Day:  There are so many things that I'd love to have...a limitless credit card that I never have to pay; a big, giant widescreen TV; etc., etc., etc. (a K&I reference).  Otherwise, I'd really want DVDs of shows that were shown on TV but are not commercially available.  I'd LOVE to have (among others):

Ain't Misbehavin' (I have a copy of a copy of a copy of a videotape)
Pacific Overtures (shown only in Japan...I have a copy of a copy of a copy of a videotape of this one, also)
Pump Boys and Dinettes (does anyone else remember seeing this on TV?)
Romance, Romance
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2004, 11:52:09 AM »

DR GEORGE I saw PB/Dinettes on television, but I sure can't remember the circumstances....whew!  But it must have been before I had a VCR.

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2004, 12:14:26 PM »

DR George, re: amazon.

Well it's not good, but today it's not too bad.  The only thing is the person who expedited my parcel did so 3 times.  There are clearly 4 different parcels at zero charge that are "preparing to ship".  Which means THEY CANNOT undo them.

So basically it looks like 4 packages will be going out.  2 day and probably 2 tomorrow.

And with 3 of them at expedited prices (charged to amazon) it seems like they will be paying quite a price for their little mistake.  The price they charge for 1 day shipping is $23.  So times 3 adds up.

I actually cannot wait to see what response I get next.  Hopefully for them it's just a glitch and they didn't actually send out 4 packages.  

Hmmm, I prefer instead of an apology if they give out $5 or $10 coupons.  But they haven't done so this time (how sad that this has happened before).

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2004, 12:20:38 PM »

Well I think I have wrapped all my gifts.  And my mom's gifts.  And my uncle's gifts.

My mom told him I'd wrap his gifts (which I don't mind).

Did the tree trimming and the cookie baking at my aunt's house yesterday.  She made these really bizarre cookies called Greatest Cookie Ever (or something like that).  Actually I think it was ultimate cookie.

They were good. But they had too many ingredients.  I like skittle pieces and chocolate chips.  It had corn flakes and oats.  But it also had raisins.  I don't like those in my cookies (and neither did my sis or her husband).

My aunt kept telling us we liked these cookies last year.  But we both knew that we hadn't tried them (especially if they had raisins, which my sis hates period).

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2004, 12:26:45 PM »

Well here's a little trivia for you that I was unaware of (I am of course prepared to hear from each and every one of you that this is one of the fundamental pieces of knowledge shared by all other human beings  :P):

I just got a bunch of old Playbills, including Saroyan's Time of Your Life.  Did you know that Chipmunk-meister Ross Bagdasarian made his Broadway debut in that play?  I wonder if he gulped helium before the show every night and did his lines in a weird falsetto.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 12:28:01 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2004, 12:28:26 PM »

Thank you DRs for the thoughts for my friend Derek. I shall be talking to him shortly and will visit him this afternoon after his surgery (biopsy of the lungs) if it can go ahead today.
DearReader Laura: The gift of friendship can indeed not be matched. Thank you.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2004, 12:31:08 PM »

JMK: That is my kind of trivia.  Have always hoped some the early David Seville songs would make it to CD. Such wonders at "Bird On My Head" and "Judy". I wonder if his son has the masters.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2004, 12:47:50 PM »

Nice avatar JMK....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2004, 12:48:31 PM »

der Brucer can you identify that "light up" picture that you posted?  Is that somehwhere in France, Europe?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up