Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SNOWY AND BLOWY AND MISTLETOEY  (Read 29396 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SNOWY AND BLOWY AND MISTLETOEY
« on: December 19, 2004, 11:59:47 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've been blown, snown and mistletoen by the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the snowy blowy cows come home (and they'd better get here quick so the eight maids a'milking can do their thing).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 12:08:20 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:SNOWY AND BLOWY AND MISTLETOEY
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 12:21:45 AM »

I would like to be the First Post!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 12:25:42 AM »

And so you are.  Which is better than the people who read the notes and then log off without so much as a how-do-you-do.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 12:26:50 AM »

;)

Actually, my dream gift would be a Steinway Grand Piano - preferably a "D", but I'd also take a very nice "B" too.  Oh, and I'd actually prefer one of the ones made in Germany.  I once played on a German-made Steinway Upright that was simply amazing!  It felt good, it sounded very good.  Of course, if I ever did get a Steinway "D", I'd have to have a personal concert hall in which to store it and in which to play it.

Otherwise, what would make me really happy right now would be a key to a new apartment in New York City.  ;)

But, practically speaking, a new laptop would be very nice.  -I'd even consider a Mac!  I don't need anything fancy, just as long as it was wireless-ready and had Microsoft Word and AOL - or some other internet service on it... I'd be happy.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 12:30:56 AM »

Saving for for the holiday has always been a part of the joy of an extended trip overseas for me. Now that I am no longer working, a first class (or at least business class) around the world airfare would be wonderful. I would really like to meet friends I have through this site in particular. The opportunity afforded by my free fare would give the time to really spend time with a some wonderful people without the need to rush rush rush.
Can't think of material things I would like to have. An endless supply of CDs and DVDs would be a problem as I am already way behind in my viewing and listening as it is.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 12:35:01 AM »

A good time to count one's blessings. A friend is being admitted to hospital tomorrow for more tests. He received a lung transplant (both lungs) last year but is having more problems. The orginal transplant was due to life threatening battles with asthma. My prayers are with him. It certainly puts my own recent health issues into perspective.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 12:36:29 AM »

Catching up from yesterday:

DR Jennifer asked:
"Can anyone tell me some good places to buy laptops online.  It's a gift.  ANd all I know is it needs to have 512 MB ram, Windows HP professional, and celeron wireless monitor.  Is this even possible for under $500."

I'm assuming you mean Windows XP Professional... Which I can tell you right now will run you close to your $500 "limit" just for the program alone.  -Although, lots of resellers will sell it for less.

You can find "cheap" laptops, but it does take some work.

My best advice to you would be to look up the 800-numbers for places like Dell, Compaq/HP, Gateway, etc., on their websites, and then give them a call and tell them what you need, and see how "bare bones" a system they can sell you.  So many things come bundled together nowadays, that it can be hard to find just the basics.  *And since you're looking for WinXP-Pro, that will most likely add some $$$ to your final cost.  Do "you" only need need the operating system, WinXP-Pro, and not any programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)?  There is also Microsoft Office - Professional Edition which includes all the basic programs (Word, Excel, etc.), but that will cost you some buckaroos too.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 12:38:10 AM »

My best gift would be a sale of Writer's Block to the movies.

Has Ann caught up yet?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 12:38:24 AM »

We'll stay all night and we'll sing 'em all.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 12:45:58 AM »

And so you are.  Which is better than the people who read the notes and then log off without so much as a how-do-you-do.

How-do-you-do!  There...I've how-do-you-do'd.

I'm going to think about the Topic of the Day.  After I think about it, I'll try to come up with an answer.  But it'll be later in the day than now.  Now I must sleep.  Good night all. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 12:53:47 AM »

Well... What does one do when one is still up in the wee small hours of the morning?  Well, one starts looking up reviews on the web... So...

I won't really comment, except to say the headline made me laugh... And that's all I'll post - you can look up the full review for yourself if you like.

From today's Washington Post:

Artificial Resuscitation
1967's 'Hallelujah, Baby!' Barely Revives
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 12:59:27 AM »

And speaking of revivals/revisals...

I, too, have begun to wonder exactly what groups like "Reprise!" and "Encores" having been doing to the "classic musicals" that they produce.  -Especially with Encores...

So much time is supposedly spent researching the original production - going back to the original script, find the original orchestrations (or have them masterfully reconstructed), etc... And then when it comes time to present the "original show", what ends up on stage is far from the original.

I haven't seen too many of the Encores presentation, but wasn't their original goal to present the "original shows" in concert form?  Now it just seems like everyone of their presentations has to have some sort of "hook" to make it a possibility for a transfer to Broadway.

Am I wrong in this assumption?

And just what exactly is wrong with "period pieces"?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 01:00:42 AM »

DR Tomovoz - Best of Vibes to your friend.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004, 01:03:27 AM »

-WOW!  I didn't realize I had crossed the 3,000 posts threshhold in the past few days!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 01:11:25 AM »

OH!  And one other thing I've been meaning to mention...

One of the goodies that my father received while he was in the hospital was an "Exquisit-Stollen".  Yes, it's looks like any other "stollen", but what makes it "exquisit" are it's dual fillings of marzipan and hazelnut cream.  YUMMY!!!

-And a nice slice with some tea makes a perfect post-show snack.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 01:12:43 AM »

I see DR Panni...  Hmmm...

Well, something tells me I'll be sleeping in again tomorrow morning/today...  So...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 03:14:24 AM »

Well regarding my late yesterday note questions, I know Mr. BK's writing habits, but was hoping to hear from some of the others and  see what their habits are.
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2004, 03:20:52 AM »

DR Tomovoz - Best of Vibes to your friend.
Thank you. He is a good man.
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2004, 05:23:45 AM »

Speaking of SNOWY AND BLOWY:

as soon as my hands thaw out from feeding the gadzillion birds scratching throw the new laid snow aroun my "Zoo" tree I'll try to take pictures of SWWs beloved "white grass" - one AM and he comes prancing into my room with a handful of snow!

The first sight on looking out my bedroom window this morning was a brilliant red Cardinal hopping thru the snow - with an entourage of 25 or so sparrows!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

td

• td
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2004, 05:30:12 AM »

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Best Vibes to DR tomovoz' friend ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

As for a personal gift, that's just for me, that I want at this very moment:
The Complete (composer's) Songbook series boxed set of Miss Ella Fitzgerald, I suppose would make a nice start.

My question to DRs (and to BK, too) in relation to TOD, how many of us use the "Wish List" option on sites such as deepdiscountdvd and amazon and such?  (I do).  Fortunately several of my friends do as well, so I usually know what I might buy them for Christmas, birthdays or just plain old gift-giving.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2004, 05:32:38 AM »

Good morning, fellow dear readers.

Although I very much like my simple '98 Corolla, I would love to have a brand new Lexus with power everything. Although I suppose that if my DH bought one for me, I'd be helping to pay for it.  And I don't want that kind of debt.

So I'll just say I'd like to have my travel privileges -- which I have.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2004, 05:34:27 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~
Vibes to DR Tom's friend.

A friend is truly a wonderful gift.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2004, 05:41:23 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm still pondering the finish of my shopping, so the TOD will have to wait.  With this current ear infection, my health since July, and a doctor imposed on me by my HMO, a fantastic health insurance policy would be today's choice, but after shopping, I might just want a personal sherpa.  Then, again, both problems might be solved by limitless money.  But a lot of money can lead to other problems, so maybe I want to be King of the World and everyone else can deal with my problems.  It's all like the House that Jack built.  There's always greener grass out there.

So, I'll think a bit more before I decide.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2004, 06:14:29 AM »

Good morning. Sorry I disappeared before saying hello, Jose. I didn't see you post on the marizipan stollen. Yum.

Michael Shayne - I'll recheck your post later and see what the writing habits question is and try to answer.
Right now I'm getting ready for an early morning walk with our very own DR Jane!

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2004, 07:23:01 AM »

Hmmm...Christmas present! A personally autographed photo of June Kenney followed by her saying she would love to be interviewed by me!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2004, 07:28:44 AM »

Ditto Leslie Parrish for me.  Dear readers Panni and Jane are supposedly walking over here so I can see dear reader Jane and take a walk with them.  See Jane walk.  

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2004, 07:49:26 AM »

If DR Jane is still in town on Wednesday morning, maybe she and Panni and Jay and BK and Sandra and I can all get together for pancakes.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2004, 07:51:28 AM »

TOD:  A belated Chanukah present that I would relish.....Hmmm......p'raps some new kitchen gadgets.....  a CD shopping spree (and NOT the kind that you get on 11th or 12th Avenues!).  I know there is other stuff as well, but nothing that comes to mind right now.

Yesterday was the Pittsford Musicals Caroling/Holiday Bash.  The group went caroling at  a couple of area nursing homes....then we volunteered to host the "after-party."  This means that we started our Christmas cookie baking a few days earlier than we would have ordinarily.  For the event, the DP did Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip and a small tray of brownies.  We collaborated on cut-outs.  My cookie-of-the-year was lace florentines...some filled with dark chocolate, some filled with white chocolate.  We supplied some other savories as well....

But the thing that went over really big was a vat-ful of home made hot cocoa, with freshly made whipped cream.  It's odd to think that some people (a slight GYPSY reference) can't muster up enough energy to stick a hand mixer into a bowl with cream poured into it, and wait the 3 minutes until it is whipped.  You'd have thunk I had done some amazing feat of culinary aptitude.....  But the huzzahs for the cocoa and cookies were pleasing....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2004, 07:54:12 AM »

Good Morning!

Today's "alarm clock" is brought to you by Dear Old Mom:

"Get up! Make your father something for breakfast!"

So... Around 8:20 this morning, I headed down to the kitchen...  And made pancakes.  -I was hoping to make something else, but my parents' current stash of food in the fridge is not breakfast-friendly.  I'll be heading out to the grocery store later on to stock things properly.

*I also ended up getting on a cleaning and sorting binge...  Just how many expired packages of bacon, jars of mayonnaise and other assorted condiments can one family have in their fridge?!?!?  -Mind you, both my parents are in the food service industry.  Oh, and then there were the two crushed(!) cartons of eggs that were sitting on the bottom shelf.  -And I'm still trying to figure out just why my Mom continually throws half-gone tomatoes into the freezer...

???

But the dishes are washed, the floor vacuumed and the counters wiped down.  I even went ahead and sorted out the various fruit baskets.

...Something tells me I'll be taking a nap sometime this afternoon before heading in for tonight's show...

Oh, and my father is doing fine this morning too!  Let's just say he's very happy with his "mobility" this morning.  Always a good sign of a good recovery!
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2004, 07:57:09 AM »

Good morning all. The computer ban at home has been lifted as the software DH is trying to install for my Christmas present (a video editor to convert my videos to DVD) refuses ti install properly and the DVD burmer is apparently producing rubbish ,  So it looks as if the Christmas present I wanted won't be around.  I haven't looked in since Friday afternoon so I am off to peruse the musings of the weekend.

good health vibes to DR Ann , DR Jose's dad , DER Elmore and Dr Tomofoz's friend

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up