Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: PERFECTLY COIFFED  (Read 41818 times)

Jennifer

Re:PERFECTLY COIFFED
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2004, 06:48:32 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday DR WFO!!![/move]

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2004, 06:55:59 AM »

Re: Emmy Rossum (Christine in the Phantom of the Opera movie).

Did anyone else not remember that she was the daughter in Mystic River.  

Btw, I thought she sounded quite good on GMA yesterday.

Hmmm, this article also says she starred in Day After Tomorrow:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/entertainment/cst-ftr-emmy23.html

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2004, 07:20:16 AM »

Good morning - Well, I got my wish (and Elmore's wish for me):  Level 3 snow emergencies all around and my manager called before 6am to tell me that the library is closed today.  Combined with a day off yesterday, holidays, and some vacation days, I will be off a total of 12 days in a row!  More Christmas cocooning with my family today...

Happiest of birthdays, DR William F. Orr!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2004, 07:24:14 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR WFO.

DR Joey: another wonderful young Lansbury performance is her "Sibyl Vane" in THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY.  It is also a wonderful film, with the stunning Hurd Hatfield and George Sanders.  In it, Miss Lansbury is dubbed by -- IIRC -- none other than Andy Williams.  (She has one little number, done in a seedy London pub....)

I don't think so, DR Stuart. I believe you're confusing Lansbury with Lauren Bacall who was dubbed by Andy Williams in TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT. Lansbury did her own singing in THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2004, 07:24:45 AM »

And a very, very happy birthday to DR William F. Orr!!

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2004, 07:27:10 AM »

I thought DR Jose might be interested in this article from today's VARIETY. It's not a review of HALLALUJAH, BABY and rather an overview of its critical reception in DC:

"WASHINGTON "Hallelujah, Baby!" won the musical Tony in 1968, but a reworked revival staged by Arthur Laurents received tepid notices from D.C. crix following its opening last week at Arena Stage.

Featuring music by Jule Stein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green and book by Laurents, "Baby" followed the travails of an African-American woman through a 60-year period of racial discrimination and other adversity. In this co-production by Arena and the George Street Playhouse of New Brunswick, N.J., Laurents has stretched the journey to current times, altered the ending and made other changes.

A song cut from the original has been reinserted and some new lyrics have been penned by Green's daughter, Amanda. The tuner's cast has been cut from 20 to an economical nine.

But several local critics found little to sing about. The Washington Post's Peter Marks called it an "unexciting new production" that "confirms its value mainly as an artifact." It contains "moments of inspiration," he said, but criticized "its sense of moral superiority" and said Stein's score "takes scant advantage of the (show's) broadly entertaining possibilities."

The Baltimore Sun's Judy Rousuck praised some perfs, especially Suzzanne Douglas in the lead role of Georgina, originated by Leslie Uggams. But she said the show contains little depth, "a major difficulty considering the weightiness of the material." She said the score includes several standouts.

Jayne Blanchard of the Washington Times called it "a sputtering co-production" that is plagued by "mighty lapses in logic." She found it incongruous that the weighty story about race relations in America would be enlivened by "broad grinning and shucking and jiving," especially since the show "bears not a trace of irony or satirical edge."

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2004, 07:29:26 AM »

One, two, three:

A BIG HAINESHISWAY.COM BIRTHDAY CHEER TO WILLIAM F. ORR (WFO, IN INTERNET LINGO)!!!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2004, 07:30:29 AM »

Reading about all this snow. We had snow in the forecast earlier in the week when the temperatures were right at and below freezing. But we've warmed up considerably. Yesterday and today, highs in the 60s and lows only in the 50s. It IS supposed to get colder starting tonight and continuing into the weekend. Yesterday and today feel nothing like Christmas.

Jay

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2004, 07:32:29 AM »

In what part of Indy do you live? We are at 13 or 14 inches here in southwestern Hancock county. I just shoveled the walk and it was no easy job.  :-[ Good exercise though.  ;D I had to resort to carrying Peaches outside to a place where the snow had all blown away and wasn't as deep. I have never had a dog that is more of a chicken than Peaches. We used to have a miniature doxin who would love to get herself lost in the snow.

Thankfully, you named the dog Peaches, as opposed to something like Bruiser, or Rex.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2004, 07:33:05 AM »

Happy Birthday William F Orr..

HOWEVER-Dear Bruce---you forgot the Birthday of my Son CRAIG BROCKMAN--35 Years Young Today.A Very Happy Birthday Dear Craig
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 07:39:26 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2004, 07:35:50 AM »

Topid of the day: I actually got my one cherished present several years ago. I think I have told this story here before, but anyway, when I was growing up, one of the most frequent commercials on Saturday morning TV was Mystery Date, a board game for little girls. Of course, I always wanted to play it, but my parents wouldn't buy such a gender specific female-centered game for me. Years later, my partner at the time moved heaven and earth to find the game and give it to me for Christmas.

We spent many hilarious evenings with friends playing Mystery Date, and if you've ever seen a bunch of gay men vying to get the "perfect date" from a board game, you'd know how hilarious it truly was.

Jay

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2004, 07:42:18 AM »

On the topic o' the day:

A ton of Microsoft stock at its IPO.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2004, 07:45:52 AM »

I don't think so, DR Stuart. I believe you're confusing Lansbury with Lauren Bacall who was dubbed by Andy Williams in TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT. Lansbury did her own singing in THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY.

Got my TONY (R) winning actresses mixed up, eh?

Side note about the song Miss Lansbury sings in DORIAN GRAY......the title of which escapes me, but is something about a bird.  While doing MURDER SHE WROTE, and portraying Jessica Fletcher's cockney cousin (or whatever), Lansbury had a scene in a music hall, and needed a song for the spot.  She called up her good friend (and BK's as well) Mr. Stephen Sondheim, and asked him what to do.  He told her to do that song she did in Dorian Gray.  And she did.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2004, 07:49:12 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WFO.

Re:  Curtains.  Wow, I'm amazed that you haven't heard of it, BK.  There's been quite a bit of internet buzz about it for years (of course), and IIRC it actually has had a couple of workshops.  I remember distinctly that one of its conceits is that at the beginning you see a murder, but it turns out it's a murder in the show that's within the show, and that there are several such "Deathtrap" moments in the musical.  I'm pretty sure there was a long thread about it on RATM and/or Max's listserve.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2004, 07:53:57 AM »

Happy birthday dear Bill

Another crazy day ar work so I say Merry Christmas and exit stage right!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2004, 08:06:21 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR WFO!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2004, 08:07:51 AM »

And since his father said so... ;)

Happy Birthday, DS (Dear Son) Craig Brockman!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2004, 08:18:33 AM »

Good Morning!

-It's raining here in Fairfax, VA.  Although, if this precipitation was coming down as snow like it is in in Indiana and Ohio, we'd probably be under a Winter Storm Watch too.

And like DR MattH's environs, it's a bit "warm" outside.  Even coming out of the show last night, it felt comfortable outside.  However, the cold is supposed to settle back in in time for Christmas Day.  We may not get a White Christmas, but it should be cold.

As for today's Topic of the Day...

I, too, would tickets to various shows on Broadway and elsewhere.  I'd actually like to see DREAMGIRLS with the original cast.  I know many people who were fortunate enough to be wowed over by Jennifer Holiday's performance at the end of Act 1.  Electricity in the air.  Going further back in time, I'd like to see Angela Lansbury in MAME, and another show at the Winter Garden, FOLLIES.

On a more personal front, a copy of the first edition of C.S. Lewis' "Chronicles of Narnia" series.  Or even his "The Wasteland".  -I remember analyzing that poem in seventh grade.  Fascinating.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2004, 08:18:51 AM »

Got my TONY (R) winning actresses mixed up, eh?

Side note about the song Miss Lansbury sings in DORIAN GRAY......the title of which escapes me, but is something about a bird.  While doing MURDER SHE WROTE, and portraying Jessica Fletcher's cockney cousin (or whatever), Lansbury had a scene in a music hall, and needed a song for the spot.  She called up her good friend (and BK's as well) Mr. Stephen Sondheim, and asked him what to do.  He told her to do that song she did in Dorian Gray.  And she did.

Absolutely right. Angela sang "Goodbye, Little Yellow Bird" playing her British musical hall cousin Emma McGill. The next season, when Angela played the same character again, she needed another music hall song, and naturally she chose her other MGM musical moment - "How'd Ya Like to Spoon with Me?" from TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2004, 08:20:23 AM »

Oohhh.. Bernstein's recording - conducting and playing - of Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" just came on the radio...  Guess I'll be here for another 17 minutes or so.

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2004, 08:28:07 AM »

Happy Birthday, CRAIG!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2004, 08:30:39 AM »

This is cute
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2004, 08:36:43 AM »

Very cute, DR TCB (aka Scrooge but only in the musical of the same name!)  :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2004, 08:48:12 AM »

I thought DR Jose might be interested in this article from today's VARIETY. It's not a review of HALLALUJAH, BABY and rather an overview of its critical reception in DC:

Etc., etc., etc....

Thanks for the article, MattH.

I've tracked down most of the major reviews of this production, however, I haven't really investigated any of the ones from the earlier George Street run.  Arena has been using a line from "Variety" in some of it's promotional blurbs - I began to wonder if it was from the original production! ;)

In any case...  I just like reading reviews to read reviews, see what the people on the other side of the curtain have thought about the show.  -And, actually, I do hear some choice tidbits every now and then as I'm getting into my car as the theatregoers are heading back to their cars.

Arena Stage has a wonderful policy in regards to reviews.  No reviews are allowed to be displayed in the "public areas", and the discussion of reviews is strongly discouraged on theatre grounds.  They do make the reviews and press clippings available up in the offices for those who would like to see them.  It's a great way to insure that no one's "show" or "process" is affected by outside opinion, good or bad.  *We all have to be careful when bringing in the daily newspaper too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2004, 08:51:44 AM »

Happy B' day, William F. Orr.

I'd go back in time to collect all the wonderful Marx play sets I had...The Roy Rogers ranch set; the Captain Gallant Foreign Legion set; a Knights set; a Civil War set...seems to me there were others.

I also pick up the Hartland plastic figures of cowboys.  These were figurines about six inches or so, that came on their horse and their guns would come out, their hats could be removed, the saddles came off the horses.  They had most of the TV cowboys and some historical figures as well.  I had Roy Rogers, Robert E. Lee, George Armstrong Custer.  Custer and Lee had detachable swords.  But the guns and swords and hats would get lost; the stirrups on the saddles would break.  I still have in my library.  Lee on his horse traveller, with his hat and a stirrupless saddle.  No sword.  I've also got Roy Rogers with his hat but no guns, on a rearing Trigger, partial saddle...though he fell off the shelf not long ago and his leg broke.  I've got the piece and may glue it on some day.  These figures got some really rough place in the old days, so there in far from the greatest condition.  

I think Hartland also put a series of them out that were just standing.  No horses.  They also did a series of baseball players.

But it was the playsets I really love.  Give me a bag of plastic cowboys or knight and a tin fort or castle and I was a happy kid and could amuse myself for hours.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2004, 08:53:50 AM »

An Oldie but a Goody-For The Holiday Season!!!
One Hen
Two Ducks
Three Squawking Geese
Four Limerick Oysters
Five Corpulent Porpoises
Six Pairs of Don Alverzo's Tweezers
Seven Thousand Macedanions in full battle array
Eight Brass Monkeys from the Ancient Crypts of Egypt
Nine apathetic,sympathetic,diabetic old men on roller skates with a marked propensity towards procrastination and sloth
Ten lyrical,spherical,diabolical denizens of the deep who hall stall around the corner of the quo of the quay of the quivery,all at the same time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2004, 09:08:24 AM »

Well, you see, once upon a time Mr. Craig Brockman used to be a regular denizen of this here site.  At that time, he used to be a registered user of this site, and when one is a registered user of this site, their birthday shows up on our handy-dandy calendar.  If birthdays don't show up on our handy-dandy calendar, then it is impossible for me to remember them because I am quite senile - sometimes I even forget to look at our handy-dandy calendar.  However, of course we wish a big haineshisway.com birthday cheer to Mr. Craig Brockman, and we would have done it properly in the notes if only his name had shown up on our handy-dandy calendar.

Nope, never heard of Curtains prior to the press release of two weeks ago.  I've certainly heard of Over and Over (Skin of our Teeth) and I've certainly heard of The Visit.  It's all fine - there's no "race" going on - my book is out and about.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2004, 09:09:22 AM »

Time to shovel snow.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2004, 09:11:07 AM »

My Time Machine picks: Back to 1960 to pick up a few new copies of the first edition of To Kill a Mockingbird.  Back to the forties to pick up my new Tucker.  Others to follow.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2004, 09:32:14 AM »

Re: TOD.

I'd probably go REALLY far back in time and try to pick up one of those newfangled things.....  the Wheel.  

Without it, I doubt our 45s, 78s, 33.3s, CDs, DVDs, etc. would have been possible.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up