Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SANTA CLAUS (OGERMAN, THAT IS)  (Read 6008 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SANTA CLAUS (OGERMAN, THAT IS)
« on: September 22, 2017, 12:04:51 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes talked about Santa Claus (Ogerman, that is), and now it is time for you to post until the Claus cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SANTA CLAUS (OGERMAN, THAT IS)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 12:05:35 AM »

And the word of the day is: DECIDUOUS!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 12:27:01 AM »

Here's more information:

Kritzerland is proud to present its second-ever classical release, two amazing works by one amazing composer:

CLAUS OGERMAN
SYMPHONIC DANCES
SOME TIMES (BALLET)

Claus Ogerman conducting the New York Studio Symphony Orchestra

Claus Ogerman moved to the United States in 1959, where he immediately became one of the most prolific and in-demand arrangers/orchestrators for some of the most iconic artists of the 1960s, including Antonio Carlos Jobim, Wes Montgomery, Kai Winding, Cal Tjader, Stan Getz, Al Hirt, Wynton Kelly, Jimmy Smith, Oscar Peterson, and others, as well as singers such as Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr., Astrud Gilberto, Lesley Gore, and Connie Francis.  Additionally, he had several albums under his own name recorded for RCA.  One of his finest achievements during that decade was his collaboration with the great jazz pianist Bill Evans, which resulted in the classic Bill Evans Trio with Symphony Orchestra, an album of astonishing depth and beauty, with Evans’ poetic piano weaving in and out of Ogerman’s magnificent arrangements of classical pieces by Faure, Bach, Chopin, and others.  However, with no slight to the above-mentioned masters, the most beautiful track on the album is “Elegia,” written by Ogerman himself. 

During the next two decades, Ogerman still arranged and orchestrated for such disparate artists as Barbra Streisand, George Benson, Michael Franks, Stephane Grappelli, Freddie Hubbard, Dr. John, and Stanley Turrentine, but he mostly devoted himself to serious composition.  Two of his major achievements during that time included Symphonic Dances (1971) and his ballet score Some Times (1972), and they remain two of his greatest works.  Symphonic Dances is a beautiful, textured, and haunting work that does exactly what Ogerman intended – stirs the emotions.  Its moods and orchestral colors are hypnotic and mesmerizing.  It’s like a film score to whatever film plays across your mind as you listen. 

Some Times, a ballet score for large orchestra and jazz group, was commissioned by the American Ballet Theatre.  The world premiere took place on July 14, 1972 at the New York State Theatre at Lincoln Center.  The combining of symphonic music, jazz, and even a bit of rock, was fairly unique in the ballet world of 1972 and Ogerman did a masterful job of it.  In 1977 he reworked Some Times and in so doing came up with a hit album, an instant classic, Gate of Dreams. In its pre-Gate of Dreams form, it’s a little leaner but just as evocative and beautiful.  As with Symphonic Dreams, you can imagine this being a soundtrack to some movie of your own imagining.  Considering Ogerman began his musical career scoring films in Germany, it’s rather surprising that some producer or director wasn’t smart enough to hand him film assignments here, although his work Symbiosis (another Bill Evans classic) was used to wonderful effect in Sideways.

These performances were first issued on CD back in 1992 on Bay Cities.  Over the years that CD has become quite the collector’s item, so we thought it was high time to reissue it again and give it a fresh mastering, to celebrate the brilliance that was Claus Ogerman, who passed away in 2016 at the age of eighty-five.

Claus Ogerman – Symphonic Dances/Some Times is limited to 500 copies only and priced at $19.98, plus shipping.   CDs will ship by the first week of November, but never fear, we’ve actually been averaging three to five weeks early in terms of shipping ahead of the official ship date.  To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

ATTENTION INDIEGOGO CONTRIBUTORS:  IF YOU WANT TO RECEIVE THIS RELEASE YOU MUST OPT-IN BY SENDING US AN E-MAIL – SEND TO kritzerland@gmail.com.  IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO RECEIVE IT, YOU DON”T NEED TO DO ANYTHING.  IF YOU ARE NOT AN INDIEGOGO CONTRIBUTOR, ORDER AS YOU NORMALLY WOULD.  THANK YOU.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 12:48:21 AM »

First post after BK!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 01:16:48 AM »

Opt-in e-mail sent!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 01:17:18 AM »

And now, to bed.

Have a good day, all!

Michael

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 04:26:27 AM »

Good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 04:34:03 AM »

Congrats to Chas on a wonderful first (and only) preview.  Break a leg for opening night!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 04:40:53 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 04:42:52 AM »

For the first night this week, I got a lot of sleep.  My leg is behaving this morning, no pains, no unsteadiness, so we'll see how the day goes.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 04:46:43 AM »

DR Jeanne, Jo had applied for work with the Madison school system.  There were two (I think) positions in the cafeteria that interested her, and I'm happy that she beat out the competition.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 04:52:30 AM »

I have a day of visitation: Fed Ex at some point, Joshie at some point, Val at some point.  I have decided to give Joshie most of my musical theatre CDs and books, as well aqs a lot of classical CDs, and he's coming by to have a look.  I hope we can go to lunch.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:54:51 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 04:53:29 AM »

DR TCB, how are you feeling?

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 05:20:42 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 05:21:16 AM »

Opening night vibes for ChasSmith and company.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 05:21:53 AM »

Four days until vacation. Can't come soon enough.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 05:22:52 AM »

TOD:

DVD
Raging Bull
L'Argent

CD
Freedomland USA
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 05:25:25 AM »

Fred, have you written your version of "High on a hill lived a lonely dotard" yet?
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 06:55:15 AM »

Fed Ex has confirmed the pickup and I missed a FB message from Joshie.  I hope he's still coming by.

FJL

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 06:56:50 AM »

Fred, have you written your version of "High on a hill lived a lonely dotard" yet?

LOL. I love doing "Lonely Goatherd" parodies, but I don't think they're as much fun for the reader o listener as they are for the parody-writer.  :)

I believe one of those Lonely Goatherd parody lyrics was in the comments under this Times article.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/nyregion/new-york-today-a-hardworking-herd.html?mcubz=0

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:59:25 AM by FJL »

John G.

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 07:08:32 AM »

I guess yodeling in type isn't fun.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 07:09:33 AM »

Looney-oo, looney-oo, looney-who?
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 07:16:07 AM »

John G - There's a reprise, also about the Prospect Park goats, in the comments under this article, if you have a Times account:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/10/nyregion/new-york-today-the-return-of-winter-snowstorm-snow-spring.html?mcubz=0

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 07:18:24 AM »

T.O.D.

No idea what to watch this weekend.  My wife has a bunch of COLUMBO episodes recorded.  Maybe a couple of those.
You can dream…or you can do.

Ginny

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 07:51:06 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  We had a good turnout for the Virginia Woolf discussion and I came away with a greater appreciation for the book than I had while reading it.  The ladies were pleased to know that those of us who finished it now have:

Bragging Rights
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 08:09:03 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  We had a good turnout for the Virginia Woolf discussion and I came away with a greater appreciation for the book than I had while reading it.  The ladies were pleased to know that those of us who finished it now have:

Bragging Rights

Congratulations. Fun list. There are a few books there I want to read. Some I love.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 08:19:12 AM »

I guessed right:  Joshie just cancelled and we'll try for Monday.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 08:29:30 AM »

For the first night this week, I got a lot of sleep.  My leg is behaving this morning, no pains, no unsteadiness, so we'll see how the day goes.

Very good.  I also slept last night.

Jane

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 08:30:50 AM »

Four days until vacation. Can't come soon enough.

Are you going good someplace or staying home and resting?

Jane

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 08:31:46 AM »

T.O.D.

No idea what to watch this weekend.  My wife has a bunch of COLUMBO episodes recorded.  Maybe a couple of those.

How is her foot doing?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up