Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: GOODBYE 2004/HELLO 2005!  (Read 70215 times)

Michael

Re:GOODBYE 2004/HELLO 2005!
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2004, 04:36:26 AM »

Oh YEs MEdia Watch: Car CD player. Dylan Thomas reading his works and by other authors.
Never stop dreaming.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2004, 04:39:57 AM »

DR BK: If you see my name, please don't expect me. I read sooo slowly and I write mooore slowly.  :-\ ;)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2004, 04:44:34 AM »

I really like your new Avatar, DR DANISE! Fantastic!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2004, 05:00:19 AM »

I just went to eBay's Half.com, and there are several copies of DREAMCHILD on VHS at reasonable prices.  I hope a DVD is released in the near future, but who knows?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2004, 05:29:09 AM »

Yes, once I get a job....I will buy the DVD A KISS BEFORE DYING.  Sigh.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2004, 06:01:09 AM »

Nice to have DR RLP back. Sorry to read you had some illness but glad you're feeling better.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2004, 06:03:13 AM »

Interesting music choices, DR Jose. And funny, too, in that the other day as I was putting the OCRs of NUNCRACKERS and MEXICAN HAYRIDE on the shelves, I spied SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS and thought I needed to take it down and listen to it again soon. I didn't then, but I will soon because I really liked the score.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2004, 06:04:16 AM »

Glad I had my party last night so I can stay in tonight. I was invited to accopany some friends out tonight bar hopping, and I turned that down quickly. I'm not really a bar person and never was.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2004, 06:07:24 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - LOOK MA, I'M DANCING (OCR)

DVD - GLORIOUS TECHNICOLOR (disc 2 of the ROBIN HOOD special edition)
          CINDERELLA with Julie Andrews

DVR - last night's COLD CASE, CSI, and WITHOUT A TRACE, all on CBS.

VCR - Angela Lansbury interview from REFLECTIONS ON THE SILVER SCREEN

At some point this weekend (possibly tomorrow night), I will watch LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING extended edition.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2004, 06:45:28 AM »

From today's LA Times:

DELUGED: Satellite images show the northern shore of Banda Aceh, Indonesia, three days before the tsunami, top, and two days after.
(AFP / Getty Images)

der Brucer (remembering how, when I was kid, we had to wait for days before newsfootage of the war reached the local theatres - imagine satelite photos of Dunkirk, Dresden, D-Day, Nagasaki...)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Kerry

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2004, 07:55:36 AM »

Another year down the drain.  Although there were some glorious moments in 2004, all in all, it has not been one of the best years of my life.  They all have their ups and downs, but this one had more downs than usual.  Some really bad years have still benn considered good, but overall, this just wasn't one of the better ones.

So here is to a 2005 that just HAS to be better.  

Someplace where there isn't any trouble.   Do you suppose there is such a place?  It's not a place you can get to by a boat or a train-- it's far, far away.......
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2004, 08:10:59 AM »

DVD-- one of my infamous compilation CD's.

VCR-- Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge

DVD-- The Pajama Game, Latter Days, and I have "Angels in America " ready to go for tonight.
I like boat races.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2004, 08:25:02 AM »

Another year down the drain. ...
So here is to a 2005 that just HAS to be better.  

Someplace where there isn't any trouble.   Do you suppose there is such a place?

A VIEW FROM AFAR:

Any year that ends with your greeting the next is not a "bad" year.

Where there is Good and Evil - there is trouble.
Where there is humanity - there is trouble.

These words:

"It's so hard to believe that what the world wants is us. It's hard to believe, whatever you're doing, that you're enough. We are ALL, always, enough."---

are from someone who does not seek to avoid trouble, but someone who has the confidence to weather through the trouble.

Don't look for calm waters, seek a sturdy boat!

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2004, 08:39:44 AM »

Well, the rain is back, and to prove it, it's here.  She of the Evil Eye is actually coming today, so I will have to beat a hasty retreat at some point in the next hour.  I tell you I shall beat a hasty retreat, but only because it annoys me when the retreat feels it has to be hasty.  If only the retreat would take it easy and go at a slower pace, then I wouldn't have to beat it.  I shall beat it, however, and I shall laugh whilst doing so.  Yes, I shall laugh and laugh and people will look at me as if I were a Grinning Gizmo.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2004, 08:41:07 AM »

DRRLP, welcome back!

Nice to have DR RLP back. Sorry to read you had some illness but glad you're feeling better.

Thank you both for the warm welcomes!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 08:42:25 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2004, 08:53:49 AM »

BK, if you like that Jobim, I highly recommend you check out the other Warner Brasilian titles that came out in the wake of Sergio Mendes' first flush of success on A&M, namely the two Girls from Bahia albums I mentioned with regard to Brian and A-1 Record Collectors, as well as Marcos Valle's aptly named Brazilliance.  And, as you may know, Deodato's early Brasilian sides (with Os Catedraticos, and all available on CD) are firmly in the Bossa Nova groove, all with sparkling arrangements and wonderful acoustic piano by Eumir himself (these are far, far removed from his CTi sides from the 70s).  There is the slightly less wonderful (but still pretty sublime) second Warner album by Jobim (from his first stint with them in the mid-60s), orchestrated by Nelson Riddle.  (Jobim's 70s Brasilian albums were licensed by Warner and released by them in the US, and they are all superb).

Media check:  continuing my discovery theme from a couple of days ago, we discovered one of the coolest extras on the Nowhere in Africa DVD last night--there are four selections from the soundtrack, and when you play them, the actual orchestral score (i.e., the notated music) is shown, with the scene the music underscores superimposed behind (no dialogue).  What a neat idea, especially with this score, which combines native African instruments with a western symphony orchestra.  In CD land, I'm on a medieval music kick and spent the morning listening to French medieval music by the group Sonus.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 08:55:39 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DERBRUCER

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2004, 08:58:28 AM »

You can tell New Years day is near when Southern California looks like this:

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2004, 09:06:24 AM »

I had all the released Jobim albums (inlcuding some imports) except Love, Strings, and Jobim.  I'll check out the others you cite.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2004, 09:07:12 AM »

The leak is back and the towels are back on the floor.  Hopefully we'll get more than a couple of days of sunshine soon, so Mr. Handyman can come fix the roof problem, whatever it may be.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2004, 09:08:26 AM »

Media check:

DVD: Son of Godzilla in Japanese with subtitles...boy what a difference it makes watching the original Japanese version! Fun movie!

CD: Camelspotting. A compilation CD of current pop music from assorted middle eastern countries.

Dudu. The latest CD by Turkish pop singer Tarkan.

And this weekends Bollywood movie is:

HUMRAAZ (2002). Story of a love triangle on a cruise ship. (not the best Bollywood movie I have ever seen...I have to admit!)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2004, 09:14:30 AM »

checking in, before I head off into my day.

So many changes over the past year. "They" say the one constant is Change. So do I. Oh, if we knew then what we know now... well, we DO know now, and we do get another chance, another new day, every day.

Whatever we are truly looking for, we surely find. I have a friend who insists that America is vile, horrid, immoral - he is "ashamed" to be an American, and is considering becoming Canadian... I look around and see Americans leaping into action to help people they don't even know, in countries they've never heard of, halfway around the world. I am proud to be an American. Governments come and go, the one constant is change, especially in a blessed place where We The People have our say every 2 years.

Look for evidence to support your belief (a belief is an idea we take to be true) and you surely find it.

May your coming year be filled with a sense of the miraculous, with evidence that you are treasured and loved, with astonishment, with the sheer animal joy of being alive, with appreciation of your limitless creativity, and gratitude for the priceless small things. This and more. Happy New Chance, Happy New Start, Happy New YOU and ME. Every day.
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2004, 09:15:02 AM »

She of the Evil Eye has arrived.  I will be leaving the home environment shortly to wander aimlessly until some stores open.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2004, 09:19:41 AM »

...In CD land, I'm on a medieval music kick

Back in the days when music was on vinyl platters, I really enjoyed medieval music:

...undoubtedly a specialized genre too lusty for your refined taste ;)

Maybe Panni ran into Bill McCurdy - After his music career waned, McCurdy moved to Nova Scotia in 1984 and became a character actor on Canadian television dramas.

der Brucer (geez, another college days LP not on CD!)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2004, 09:23:58 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm awake.  I'm fed.  The dogs are fed. The dishes are washed.  So far, so good...  -My left shoulder is still twinging a bit, but the ibuprofen should be kicking in any moment now.

It's a gorgeous day outside here in Fairfax, VA - upper 50s and sunny.  I'm gonna try my best to get out there today before heading in for the show tonight.  I do have to make a grocery store run, so that should suffice.

I'd go for a walk, but to go for a walk in my parents neighborhood means having to deal with too many cars who drive to fast on residential streets that have no sidewalks, so I usually end up driving to some other neighborhood to take a walk.  I know, I know - excuses, excuses...  -One of my resolutions for 2005 is to stop coming up with excuses.. ;)

In other news...

My father had a good doctor's appointment today, and they took out his catheter.  He's very happy to be bringing in the New Year untethered as it were.

Well, that's the midday report from me...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2004, 09:24:04 AM »

Hopefully we'll get more than a couple of days of sunshine soon, so Mr. Handyman can come fix the roof problem...

But he won't fix it then, 'cause it's a sunny day!

der Brucer (sets down fiddle)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2004, 09:27:26 AM »

I'll be leaving shortly, so keep the home fries burning until my return in the very early afternoon.  I do have to go grocery shopping since there is not one Diet Coke in the home environment.  If I told you how many Diet Cokes have been consumed since last Friday's "do" you would be shocked and amazed, not necessarily in that order.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2004, 09:28:51 AM »

BK:  Well if you don't have them already, I highly recommend these Jobim Brasil-only releases (a couple of these were licensed by Warner and released by them in the US):

Inedito (gorgeous 2 CD set recorded as a birthday tribute to Tom and funded by the Brasilian government!)
Antonio Brasileiro (his last studio album)
Passarim
Jobim Sinfonico (rerecordings of orchestral arrangements by Deodato, Ogerman, Riddle, Dori Caymmi and others)
Terra Brasilis
Urubu
Elis & Tom (great duet album with the incomparable Elis Regina)

And that is just the tip of the Tom iceberg.  If you want to hear him as an arranger, you can go back to the mid to late 50s, when he was a staff arranger for Festa Records and did charts for Elizete Cardoso, among many, many others.

Also, check out Jobim's son's group, Quarteto Jobim Morelenbaum--about the closest you can come to classic Tom in arrangements and performance.

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2004, 09:30:08 AM »

That's good news about your father, Jose! Uncathetered is a good way to begin a new year. We're still trying to get my uncooperative father into Depends...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2004, 09:31:29 AM »

Oh, my goodness! A ray of sun!!! Off I go, more later.
PennyO

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2004, 09:32:20 AM »

That's good news about your father, Jose! Uncathetered is a good way to begin a new year. We're still trying to get my uncooperative father into Depends...

:P
 ;D
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up