Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TODAY IS THE DAY  (Read 72858 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:TODAY IS THE DAY
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2005, 06:49:11 PM »

THE AMAZING RACE is amazing tonight......fans of Budapest, don't miss it...many many locations!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #181 on: January 04, 2005, 06:53:18 PM »

Michael Shayne I wondered if it was your neck causing the problem and am pleased you have someone that helps it.  I personally prefer a good massage along with stretches I do for my neck.

Bruce-great news you are enjoying your Powerbook so much.  I must say Kevin looks very, very nice in that photo.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #182 on: January 04, 2005, 06:58:58 PM »

MR BK is an Apple now!

Lovely Ava Gardner - the world's most beautiful animal.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #183 on: January 04, 2005, 07:01:55 PM »

Sorry I haven't been on yet today. I have had quite a few errands to run today.

DRJane so sorry to hear about echo. My thoughts and prayers are with you right now.

I also have some quite exciting news. I just found out that not only did one couple I am friends with got engaged over this past week, but a total of 3 couples I am friends with got engaged. :o I have possibly 5 weddings to go to as of right nw and I know that number is going to climb soon. (It's just a matter of time with some of my other friends.) Quite exciting and disconcerting at the same time.  

Glad to hear you are feeling better DRMichael Shayne
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Michael

« Reply #184 on: January 04, 2005, 07:02:31 PM »

BK: I was wondering if Kevin's act that you are directing is the one that is called Night and Days?
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2005, 07:02:36 PM »

Page Seven Dance.   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2005, 07:03:11 PM »

Welcome to NEW DR Ozderek!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2005, 07:04:17 PM »

I also have some quite exciting news. I just found out that not only did one couple I am friends with got engaged over this past week, but a total of 3 couples I am friends with got engaged. :o I have possibly 5 weddings to go to as of right nw and I know that number is going to climb soon. (It's just a matter of time with some of my other friends.) Quite exciting and disconcerting at the same time.  

What are they putting in the water at that school?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2005, 07:06:18 PM »

Welcome OzDerek.  Noticed you lurking last week. Good to see you posting. It is true - no-one is alone.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2005, 07:09:59 PM »

Now here's a CD I may have worked on and know nothing about!

You definitely DID "work" on this CD.  I stumbled upon it at the Borders store near Dayton Mall sometime after May 31, 1997.  I know the date because the CD has coupons in it that were already when I bought it.  Anyway, it's a compilation of tracks from many of bk's albums and includes something from Liz Callaway's Loesser CD.  You'd sent me that, so I just assumed that some of the other selections might be your work, too.  Here's the barcode number, if that would help you, or and other interested DR's, track it down:  030206000122.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #190 on: January 04, 2005, 07:14:02 PM »

Thank you Joey and your news is exciting and elmore’s reaction is funny.  :D

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #191 on: January 04, 2005, 07:14:55 PM »

Hi all.  I'm back again (oh for a silent keyboard in the office....!)  ~ thank you to everybody for the welcomes!  Feel like an old family member already.  EGAD...what will it feel like this time next year?????

Great to see such an interesting group of people ... with an even more interesting list of cd's.

Hey TOMOVOZ ... have you heard the new Aussie recording of "For the Term of His Natural Life"?  Let me know if you want a copy?!!!!

Reading all these lists makes me just want to rush home and rev the cd player up .....!

Catch you all very soon.

Enjoy!
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

Michael

« Reply #192 on: January 04, 2005, 07:15:10 PM »

Here is another MGM beauty
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2005, 07:21:31 PM »

Hi all.  I'm back again (oh for a silent keyboard in the office....!)  ~ thank you to everybody for the welcomes!  Feel like an old family member already.  EGAD...what will it feel like this time next year?????

Like you've known us for your entire life!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #194 on: January 04, 2005, 07:28:07 PM »

Sorry to have been E&T all day long. It's been a long, long day.

Welcome, new member ozderek. Glad to have you with us.

DR Jane, I am so very sorry about your loss. My thoughts are with you.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: January 04, 2005, 07:33:07 PM »

I adore the show '1776,' but I do not like the Broadway show album. Howard DaSilva was ailing and unavailable, Ron Holgate is hoarse and in poor voice, William Daniels is also gravelly and doesn't have his timing down quite yet, and Betty Buckley sounds steely and unattractive for the willowy Martha Jefferson.

I much, much prefer the film soundtrack as the Broadway stars are in much better voice and the ones who are different from the show album like John Cullum are infinitely better singers, but it's not on CD (is it?), so I just have to watch the film or listen to my LP soundtrack when I want a '1776' fix.

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: January 04, 2005, 07:44:18 PM »

I had a very mixed opinion on THE AVIATOR. There are some dazzling sequences including the HELL'S ANGELS dogfight filming which I thought was as accomplished as anything Scorsese has ever filmed. That and some other sequences worked very, very well.

The thing that irritated me the most was the casting of Cate Blanchette. Now, I think she's a talented actress, and she certainly had Hepburn's voice and physical manner down (for the most part; there were slips in her accent that no one seems to have caught). But, I'm sorry, nothing personal but Katharine Hepburn was a beauty in the 1930s, and Cate Blanchette is a fairly homely-looking woman and no match for the really striking appearance that Katharine Hepburn made on film. Lots of people think of the rawer appearance of Hepburn from middle age, but she was (to my gay eyes at least) a gorgeous woman back then. Alongside the baby-faced DiCaprio, Cate looked almost like his mother, and I never believed them as a couple for a second.

I also thought the script was a mess. I found it very unsatisfying to show us Hughes' manias with some simplistic mother-son washing/discussion from his youth as the only explanation of their foundation. I wanted more explanation or investigation into his phobias, and I didn't get it.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #197 on: January 04, 2005, 07:46:21 PM »

Welcome ozderek!!!!

I ran across this article today. It seems there is a huge outpouring of support which is great to see. Let's just hope there is even more in the coming weeks seeing as they still need much more help.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050105/ap_on_re_us/tsunami_americans_respond
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 07:57:45 PM by Joey »

Matt H.

« Reply #198 on: January 04, 2005, 07:47:43 PM »

Anyone else see COMMITTED, the new sitcom on NBC tonight? It was quirky and funny, and I enjoyed it. Should make a nice oddball couple with SCRUBS on Tuesday nights.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #199 on: January 04, 2005, 07:52:34 PM »

Hmmm half the link doesn't want to work. You'll have to do the old copy and paste unless anyone had advice on how to fix it.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #200 on: January 04, 2005, 07:58:34 PM »

Nevermind, I figured it out.  ::)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #201 on: January 04, 2005, 08:05:50 PM »

I adore the show '1776,' but I do not like the Broadway show album. Howard DaSilva was ailing and unavailable, Ron Holgate is hoarse and in poor voice, William Daniels is also gravelly and doesn't have his timing down quite yet, and Betty Buckley sounds steely and unattractive for the willowy Martha Jefferson.

DRMattH, I'd have to fight you on that one!  Of course it could be the fact that I saw the show about a week after it won all the Tonys, but the original production is etched in my memory, from William Daniels beginning the show on a platform jutting over the orchestra pit to the signing at the end.  I never thought the film, for all of its fine moments, came near the excitement and drive of the show.  Virginia Vestoff on the original cast recording and in the theatre was so much better than she came off in the film.

On the other hand, since I think Betty Buckley's voice is only good for peeling paint off walls, I do prefer the beautiful Blythe Danner.  Pat Zipprodt's costumes for Martha Jefferson in the film were the only new ones and a vast improvement.  

I didn't see Ken Howard; by then he was gone from the show and John Fink, who had a brief starring role in a sitcom after 1776, had taken over the part.  I always wondered what happened to him.  Rex Everhart, who replaced Da Sllva on the recording, was in the show when I saw it.  I got to know him while he was doing WOMAN OF THE YEAR with La Bacall.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: January 04, 2005, 08:06:35 PM »

Nevermind, I figured it out.  ::)

Sure did!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #203 on: January 04, 2005, 08:07:39 PM »

! ! ! ! !  Welcome to brand spankin' new DR Ozderek  ! ! ! ! !
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #204 on: January 04, 2005, 08:08:46 PM »

Jeez Bruce, other than my compilation CD's (which are made mostly from BK produced CD's with a few additional cuts from other shows), most of the CD's I overplay have been produced by you.  I doubt that you were fishing for a compliment when you asked the question, but there's the answer.  Oh sure,  an occasional oddity like "Your Zowie Face" from "In Like Flint" or "Tracy's Theme" by Spencer Ross from a televised version of "Philadelphia Story" (plus anything by the lovely and talented Peter Cincotti and Michael Buble) will show up, but the rest is pretty much your stuff.   Peggy Lee, Rosemary Clooney and John Pizzarelli will often show up plus half of the things in Tomofoz's and Jayrand's library.   I would still love it if I knew there were more forthcoming from you-- there is so much good stuff only you could do justice to-- but reality is reality.   I have had large doses of reality lately.  Not even a spoonful of sugar helps some of this medicine go down.  (WATCH IT, TCB!!!!!!)
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: January 04, 2005, 08:13:02 PM »

Back from eating.  I must explore now.  So many new toys.  I love the keyboard on this thing, which is very tactile and lovely.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #206 on: January 04, 2005, 08:13:37 PM »

THE AMAZING RACE is amazing tonight......fans of Budapest, don't miss it...many many locations!!

I've never been to Budapest, but I think I can say that I now know of an eatery there that I would not recommend.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: January 04, 2005, 08:14:07 PM »

Here's a photograph of our very own Juliana A. Hansen, sitting in Jerry's Deli.

Matt H.

« Reply #208 on: January 04, 2005, 08:17:23 PM »

DRMattH, I'd have to fight you on that one!  Of course it could be the fact that I saw the show about a week after it won all the Tonys, but the original production is etched in my memory, from William Daniels beginning the show on a platform jutting over the orchestra pit to the signing at the end.  I never thought the film, for all of its fine moments, came near the excitement and drive of the show.  Virginia Vestoff on the original cast recording and in the theatre was so much better than she came off in the film.

On the other hand, since I think Betty Buckley's voice is only good for peeling paint off walls, I do prefer the beautiful Blythe Danner.  Pat Zipprodt's costumes for Martha Jefferson in the film were the only new ones and a vast improvement.  

I didn't see Ken Howard; by then he was gone from the show and John Fink, who had a brief starring role in a sitcom after 1776, had taken over the part.  I always wondered what happened to him.  Rex Everhart, who replaced Da Sllva on the recording, was in the show when I saw it.  I got to know him while he was doing WOMAN OF THE YEAR with La Bacall.

I saw the original stage version, too, DR elmore, and think it's one of the greatest shows ever mounted. My comments were only in regard to the cast album which was obviously recorded soon after the opening of the show, and the stars sound exhausted to my ears. All of the singing on the film soundtrack sounds superior to me including the wonderful Virginia Vestoff.

Not only do I think the stage version superior to the film as a whole, but I've done the stage show in two different productions, and the show never failed to move me as a performer. I was on stage openly weeping as the signing was going on AT EVERY PERFORMANCE.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #209 on: January 04, 2005, 08:23:40 PM »

I saw the original stage version, too, DR elmore, and think it's one of the greatest shows ever mounted. My comments were only in regard to the cast album which was obviously recorded soon after the opening of the show, and the stars sound exhausted to my ears. All of the singing on the film soundtrack sounds superior to me including the wonderful Virginia Vestoff.

I don't hear it, and I'm sure that part of it's my affection for that original production.  I am going to listen to it again tomorrow since I haven't heard it in some time.  

Today was JEEPERS CREEPERS, most of which I liked a lot, especially Judy Kaye's gypsy sequence and the Andrews Sisters-like "Aurora."  I can't recall the name of the song Rebecca does from VOYAGE TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, but it's quite beautiful.  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up