Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: MERRILY WE WRIG ALONG  (Read 78718 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:MERRILY WE WRIG ALONG
« Reply #240 on: January 05, 2005, 04:21:43 PM »

And one for Chooster.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #241 on: January 05, 2005, 04:22:28 PM »

I'm still catching up on posts.  But why did they boo Ashlee Simpson last night?  And was it BEFORE or AFTER she sang?

We don't get MTV here.  But this weekend I caught the finale of her (Ashlee's) reality show.  And it was sort of entertaining (quite similar to her sister's Newlyweds show which I really like).

Maybe it was for coming off as not the brightest bulb in the lamp?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 04:23:17 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #242 on: January 05, 2005, 04:23:17 PM »

H-i-n-k-y...that's what it is...it's h-i-n-k-y.

Actually, it has been common practice since movie soundtracks started appearing on LPs for the arrangements/orchestrations to differ a bit.

You used to be able to tell because they would say things like "recorded directly from the soundtrack," which was supposed to mean it's exactly like you heard it.  But more often than not, you'd get "original soundtrack recording" but it did NOT mean exactly as you heard it in the film...there were always...ALWAYS...differences.

H-i-n-k-y...that's what it seems like today...h-i-n-k-y.

Back then, though, they did it thinking most people would rather hear it in a form typical of song recordings for LPs.

Sigh.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Danise

« Reply #243 on: January 05, 2005, 04:28:37 PM »

Page 9 Dance!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #244 on: January 05, 2005, 04:40:45 PM »

Okay, I have an official Ask BK (or anyone) a Question question.  In your notes today, BK, you wrote:

I also have to get used to the built-in Safari browser – I haven’t figured out how to make it big enough. Mr. Mac Man said not even to bother with IE on the Mac – IE, apparently, is on the way out.

Now, assuming that this is not a rumor, would this specifically be IE for Macs only, or IE in general, even for PCs?  Or am I worrying for nothing...running around like a Chooster with his head cut off?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #245 on: January 05, 2005, 04:49:39 PM »

Maybe Chooster can find a partner called Wayne.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #246 on: January 05, 2005, 04:52:01 PM »

He didn't specify if it was just Macs, just that I didn't need it.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #247 on: January 05, 2005, 04:58:46 PM »

Michael Shayne,  I am constantly printing out work copies of the manuscript as I go along and proofing them the old fashioned way.  I sit enough at a computer without doing that kind of minutia work there.  Like Panni, I like to have the actual hard copy in my hands and mark all over it.  This is work I can also do flat on my back in bed.  Also the wife proofs as well and she catches stuff that I ordinarily wouldn't.

I used to compose everything in longhand  and then transfer it to a computer; I still do much of my composing in longhand, especially dialogue heavy scenes, and then rewrite as I transfer it into the computer.  But the re-writing process is ongoing as I'm writing the script.  I'm constantly re-visiting scenes or the script up to where it is and fiddling with it.  At the end, I then print up the whole script, re-read it, and make final corrections and polishes.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #248 on: January 05, 2005, 04:58:49 PM »

BK-  I still use IE on my mac, although I also have Safari installed.  I'm a creature of habit, and I still like IE.  But if you're going to be putting bookmarks and such, probably best to just go over to Safari.  If you want to make it "bigger", click and drag the bottom righthand corner...that should do it, I think.  As far as making the actual text in the window bigger, there's another way to do that.

I have had a fairly lousy day...nothing horribly bad, just one little thing after another going wrong...I hate those kind of days.  When I get home I am going to clean my apartment, hit the gym for a bit, then spend a nice quiet evening in a hot bath.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #249 on: January 05, 2005, 05:01:11 PM »

Will some marksman please choot the chooster and put it and us out of our misery?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #250 on: January 05, 2005, 05:04:52 PM »

I, too, always proof off a hard copy.  

Pogue, Writer's Block in two months has outsold all three Kritzer books combined, so yes, I think it's doing okay.  In fact, this review today sent the amazon sales rank zooming up again - after New Year's we'd settled back down to a bit over 300,000, still not horrid considering there are over two million books in the sales rank.  Within two hours of the review hitting, we zoomed to 29,000.  Pretty good, I think.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #251 on: January 05, 2005, 05:11:51 PM »

Will some marksman please choot the chooster and put it and us out of our misery?

Paging Charlton Heston!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #252 on: January 05, 2005, 05:12:38 PM »

Next time I do errands I may take Chooster with me. Think of the pic possibilities... Chooster at the bank, Chooster at Trader Joe's, Chooster dining a DuPar's (no Chinese Chicken Salad!)

DR Panni, methinks you have the making of a coffee table book here.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Charles Pogue

« Reply #253 on: January 05, 2005, 05:17:06 PM »

BK, damned good I think!  Look out New York Times bestseller list.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #254 on: January 05, 2005, 05:39:41 PM »

I'm quite filled up with Wacky Noodles.  I'm so full I can't even wrig.  Don't know if I want to watch a DVD tonight or Alias tonight (which I'm TIVOing).  Or, I could watch a DVD right now and then watch Alias.  I was watching a little of Der Blaue Hand, one of the Edgar Wallace films in German only - it's actually pretty easy to understand, and the transfer is excellent.  But then I found out there's a dubbed version available cheaply on DVD, so I ordered one and will watch that first, so I know exactly what's going on.  Then I can watch the excellent transfer version.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #255 on: January 05, 2005, 05:51:29 PM »

By the way, our Elsinore Theater is showing the classic comedy IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT tonight at 7pm. I am hoping to go to it. It also happens that Clark Gable (star of IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT) performed live on the stage at the Elsinore often prior to his becoming a film actor! I had no idea!

Rumor has it that he used to perform live in the back row of the Elsinore, as well.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Michael

« Reply #256 on: January 05, 2005, 06:08:31 PM »

Thank you dear writers out there in the dark. I also find that it makes a difference seeing a hardcopy.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #257 on: January 05, 2005, 06:16:58 PM »

Want to know what gets my goat?  Here is what gets my goat:  A little over two weeks ago, Panni mentioned Writer's Block to her agent, told him about the rave from Scarlet Street and the theatermania Christmas pick thing.  He was very intrigued.  He said he was going on vacation and it would be perfect timing for him to read it (Panni's agent is at the William Morris office, as is mine, but mine just won't deal with novels).  So, sent him a copy on a Tuesday via priority mail.  Shockingly, it hadn't arrived by Friday.  Panni called me and told me she thought it would be worth my while to messenger him another copy before he left the office that day, which was three hours away.  I didn't want to - I was annoyed that a priority envelope could possibly take longer than one day to get from Valley Village to Beverly Hills and I was also down to my last few books and orders were still coming in because of theatermania.   I was assured that he really wanted to read it and that it would really be a good thing.  I finally said okay, we found a rush messenger, it cost me fifty bucks.  The agent was back on Monday.  Monday wasn't a good time to ask him, I was told.  Tuesday went by, topic forgotten.  Today the agent was spoken to.  He didn't read it.  He didn't take it.  I doubt he even knows where it is.  He now has two copies of my book, unread.  I ask you, dear readers, is this right?  And when I get upset about it, I'm just treated like a little kid.  

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #258 on: January 05, 2005, 06:55:19 PM »

Maybe it was for coming off as not the brightest bulb in the lamp?

I am not sure if this had anything to do with it, but I heard from a friend that she was performing in front of a giant black anarchy symbol.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 06:56:04 PM by Joey »
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #259 on: January 05, 2005, 07:08:06 PM »

Matt H. thank you.

This morning Keith practically pushed me out of the house, despite my numerous excuses, to join my Wednesday hiking group.  They were so happy I made it and were all very teary eyed so I of course broke down.  It was very comforting.  Fortunately my first hike without Echo was not to one of her favorite spots, so it was okay and I’m glad I went.

Ann the photos from last night are hysterical.

Jane

« Reply #260 on: January 05, 2005, 07:18:41 PM »

MBrandon welcome back.

Hisaka you are very welcome and thank you for your condolences.

Panni, scaring poor Abie out of your bedroom-LOL

Jane

« Reply #261 on: January 05, 2005, 07:30:04 PM »

MBarnum what a great idea to have Panni photograph Chooster in various locations! :D

Panni we have the Casablanca poster in our bedroom.

JMK-confession andidote- ;D

Sandra, thank you.  I need to make some fudge.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #262 on: January 05, 2005, 07:31:37 PM »

I've been enjoying shuffle play.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #263 on: January 05, 2005, 07:36:46 PM »

BK, that's the reason why I didn't end up listing my 10 most listened to cs the other day. I pretty much only listen to my music on Itunes and I usually play it on shuffle. I know I should have but I just couldn't decide which ones I played the most.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Jane

« Reply #264 on: January 05, 2005, 07:37:53 PM »

I found the photos of Chooster delightful and look forward to photos of him on location.  I would also like photos of people observing you taking the photos of Chooster. :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #265 on: January 05, 2005, 07:48:46 PM »

Welcome seven GUESTS.  We're talkin' about - what ARE we talkin' about?  Are you talkin' to me?  Are YOU talkin' to ME.  ARE you talkin' to me?

Jane

« Reply #266 on: January 05, 2005, 07:53:16 PM »

I know I have mentioned how highly we think of our new vet but once again she has been more than kind and competent towards us.  Yesterday as I was cleaning up all of Echo’s carpets from the floor-about 30 in total of various sizes (they were down to keep her from slipping on the floors) I had an idea our wonderful vet could use them for her new practice, so I left a message on her cell phone asking if she would like them.  When she called back today and spoke to Keith he asked what the bill would be for her trip out here yesterday.  Nothing was her response.  The time and research she has done on our behalf so far is nothing compared to the fees we have received. With further inquiry he discovered her “Angel Fund” for charity veterinarian service is only  up to $25.  That is about to improve.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #267 on: January 05, 2005, 07:55:50 PM »

Since when did Wheel of Fortune become a drama?  Complete with "suspense" music?  I mean, just when I think it can't get any lower they go and surprise me.  Can't a game show just be a game show?  You know, a little music in and out of the commercial, but then STOP.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #268 on: January 05, 2005, 07:57:28 PM »

It just occured to me that if I do watch Alias tonight, it will be the first time I've ever seen an episode that was actually broadcast - I've only ever seen it on DVD.  I'm quite certain the commercials will drive me insane.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #269 on: January 05, 2005, 08:04:45 PM »

I know I have mentioned how highly we think of our new vet but once again she has been more than kind and competent towards us.  Yesterday as I was cleaning up all of Echo’s carpets from the floor-about 30 in total of various sizes (they were down to keep her from slipping on the floors) I had an idea our wonderful vet could use them for her new practice, so I left a message on her cell phone asking if she would like them.  When she called back today and spoke to Keith he asked what the bill would be for her trip out here yesterday.  Nothing was her response.  The time and research she has done on our behalf so far is nothing compared to the fees we have received. With further inquiry he discovered her “Angel Fund” for charity veterinarian service is only  up to $25.  That is about to improve.

DRJane, it's really wonderful you've found a vet as kind and generous as you are.  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up