Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH AND LOW  (Read 68222 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HIGH AND LOW
« on: January 08, 2005, 12:06:34 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've read them high, you've read them low, and now it is time for you to post until the high and low cows come home.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 11:59:53 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:HIGH AND LOW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 12:18:16 AM »

It's a good thing I didn't decide to do the Limbo tonight!

It's official - yesterday was our third highest posting day since this new board came into existence.  The next highest posting day was almost a year ago.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 12:44:48 AM »

Today's topic is the 444th topic!  That's Room 222 x 2.  And this year my birthday is on 05/05/05!
Freaky! :o ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 12:46:10 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 12:49:02 AM »

I just had to pop in and say that.  Now I'm going to bed.  I have to get up early in the morning and my housemate told me that it was snowing earlier.  I hope it doesn"t freeze!  That would not be good. >:(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 01:10:42 AM »

hi all from way Down Under .....

.. favourite Bacharach songs .....

- Anyone Who Had A Heart
- I Say A Little Prayer
- Close To You

.... and I must admit - I do get some sort of guilty pleasure when I watch the musical version of "LOST HORIZON" .... Burt's music is fine ~ but what was Hal thinking of with those lyrics?????

..... "the world is a circle without a beginning and nobody knows where it really ends" !!!!!!!!!!

.... "question me an answer bright and clear, i will answer with a question clear and bright - even though my answer may be wrong, my question will be right? !!!!!!!!!!

.. i am digressing, but you MUST watch the film at least once .. Liv Ullmann and John Gielguld singing ... it has to be seen (or heard) to be believed !!!!!!
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 01:40:26 AM »

Just thought i had better check in before going to bed.  Glad that I did so that I could catch up on the rest of today's (whoops, I mean yesterday's) posts.

The opening of NATIONAL PASTIME went even better than I could have hoped.  We got a lovely e-mail from the playwright (Bryan Harnetiaux) that was posted in our dressing room.  Bryan will actually be here next Saturday to hold an afternoon panel discussion on breaking the color barrier in baseball, then the cast and crew will be going out to dinner with Bryan, and then he will watch the performance next Saturday night.

Tonight, the show really sparkled, and the audience was with us from the very start of the show.  We received a wonderful standing ovation at the end of the evening.  The comments at the reception, following the performance, were all glowing and extremely positive.  A great night!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 01:42:57 AM »

No one, and I mean no one, should be allowed to watch the musical LOST HORIZON on a full stomach!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 02:34:56 AM »

BK is it possible to get the video uploaded onto this website somehow? If you don't have that capability, I would be more than glad to host them on my school site for you. (I believe I am limited to 100 MB so they would need to be 60 MB or less to fit.) I can't promise they'll be able to be on there more than a week or two though. I am doing a couple of video projects this semester. There is also the option of video hosting websites.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 03:02:02 AM »

Good morning, everyone.  I was slumbering (with a rotation of doggies keeping me cuddled), but have arisen...temporarily.  You all had der B to keep you company, at least.

The new issue of Bon Appetit arrived yesterday (the February issue, and we're still in single-digit January!), and there's a story that might be of interest to Hainsies, Kimletts, et all.  Titled "True Hollywood Story," it's a travel piece on the legendary Hollywood dining spots, including Musso & Frank Grill.  The author reports as follows:

David's waiting for me in a booth in the dining room, which is as big as a ballroom, the tables covered in linen, the patrons - birthday celebrants, deal-cutters, a pouting ingenue paying more attention to her compact than her consort - tucking into porterhouse steaks and shoestring fries.

"Bull Shot?" asks David, referring to an old-school drink served at Musso's: a Bloody Mary made with rich beef broth instead of tomato juice.  We order two, spicy.

While it is hard to pass up the classic steak and spuds (the latter done 12 ways at Musso's), today i order crab Louis and am brought a dinner plate of iceberg lettuce tricked up with pickled beet and a C-cup's worth of Dungeness crab.  It is cold, it is flaky; it has the metallic ting of the sea.  But I'm not here for culinary revelations.  With a schooner of house-made Thousand Island dressing, chewy French bread, and a tablemate telling stories about industry naughtiness, I am the latest in a long line of Hollywood girls who could not be happier to be doing exactly this.

The author then makes her way to a number of other Hollywood's famed, ordering drinks at each and hopefully letting someone else do the driving by the end of the story.

The recipe for a Bull Shot is given as follows:

Makes 1

1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon celery salt
Ice cubes
1/4 cup vodka
3/4 cup chilled double-rich double strength canned beef broth
Lime wedge

Mix Worcestershire and salt in glass.  Add ice cubes.  Pour vodka, then broth over.  Garnish with lime wedge.

They have a picture of one of the waiters presiding over the dining room on page 108.  Perhaps our esteemed BK will recognize him!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 06:45:40 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 03:37:52 AM »

Well what a lot of posts from yesterday.  Glorious information!  

It snowed another 2 inches here in Indiana last night.  DR JOEY's county of Hancock and my county of Morgan were already under flood emergencies, and when it gets warm later today - MORE water.  I have never seen some of the creeks and waterways SO deep.  Scary!  Is it The Day After Tomorrow?

Well DR ozderek - in addition to the lyrics, I also put some blame squarely on the shoulders of Hermes Pan who did terrible choreography for LOST HORIZON (and FLOWER DRUM SONG and FINIAN'S RAINBOW).

Favorite Burt Bacharach - I think MINE would be the two songs that introduced me to him by name (there were others before that I liked and listened to) "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" and "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?"  These are the first two 45's I bought with the beautiful Scepter label - all those colors.  And when I bought "Promises, Promises" and the little note read "From the Broadway Production of....." I was amazed.  All the Broadway songs I knew were songs from shows like GYPSY and BYE BYE BIRDIE and OKLAHOMA!  How could this song be in a show?  What must the show be like?  What is happening?  I bought the Cast Album (after saving my baby-sitting money) and was amazed!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 04:01:54 AM »

It snowed another 2 inches here in Indiana last night.  DR JOEY's county of Hancock and my county of Morgan were already under flood emergencies, and when it gets warm later today - MORE water.  I have never seen some of the creeks and waterways SO deep.

It's true that this is the deepest it's been. It's the worst flooding in 100 years in some areas of southern Indiana who just got hit with the two feet of snow before Christmas. I am seeing water in places I have never seen it my entire life. It also doesn't help that my college was right in the middle of the major ice storm the other day. One of my roomates called the church and the power is finally back on there as of this morning so I'm good to head back up tomorrow. I have heard some parts of the area won't have power back until mid-week. I am dreading seeing the damage to the trees on the church property. Not only because it is such a beautiful property but because my cleaning duties are the grounds duties so I'll have a massive cleanup ahead. Ball State at the height of spring is wonderful! Flowering trees and bushes everywhere. They take wonderful care of the campus hopefully the ice will not interfere with that. It's such a joy after the bleak Muncie winters.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Michael

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 04:11:30 AM »

I have to admit folks that I am a little disappointed. I was so sure we make 500 posts! If I had known this was going to happened I would have forgotten about sleeping and posted to the cock crowed or 3:00am EST
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 04:21:36 AM »

I am sure there is going to be a nice long list of B & D songs, but there are quote a few from Lost Horizon that I like:

The title song; Living Together,Growing Together; Question Me An Answer, All The Things I Will Not Miss.

It is actially the songs that are sung as inner monologues by Peter Finch and Liv Ullman that are the dogs of the score. (Or should I say Jery WHitman and Diana Lee)

Most of the main cast were dubbed except for James Shiegeta, Bobby Van and Sally Kellerman (Who in my opinion should have been)

At least George Kennedy, Charles Boyer and Johm Gielgud's characters were not musicalize.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 04:24:32 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 04:40:57 AM »

If you like to see the trailer narrated by Ross Hunter go here

Lost Horizon Theatrical Trailer  

and press the preview button
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 04:55:30 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2005, 04:49:17 AM »

To drive over talking on your cell phone is an unlawful act in Japan and you are fined under fifty thousand yen for traffic regulations when you break it, because it is officially regarded as a cause of traffic accident. It’s a good deal, I think.
I’ll tell you what I don’t drive and I don’t have my own cell phone, and I know it will make you surprised. But it’s true and I've never suffered any inconvenience on my life so far, in Tokyo.
Is there any penalty for trespassing traffic rules concerned with using your cell phone while you drive in your place???

And make sure you all are both high and low/Heaven and Hell, like the film of the same name by Akira Kurosawa.
 ;)

Michael

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2005, 04:57:28 AM »

I just notice the AIDS activist and playwright Larry Krammer (The Normal Heart) wrote the screenplay for Lost Horizon.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2005, 05:38:27 AM »

It's raining here in Delaware.

That almost sounds pretty enough to be a song!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2005, 05:49:41 AM »

Like you, Hisaka, I don't drive.  I used to, long ago, but I wasn't very good at it and I don't miss it.

Der Brucer and I have cell phones, at his insistance.  We have them for emergencies, in case one of us is stuck somewhere and needs to get ahold of the other, or to contact the authorities.  We don't use them to call people and chat.

We know a lot of people who have their cell phones almost glued to their ears, talking all the time.  They tell us they have to be in contact with the world, to keep up with what is happening.  I don't believe them for an instant.  I've listened in to some of these conversations, and mostly it's just idle chatter.

Banning the use of cell phones while driving, unfortunately, may be a lost cause here in the USA.  People think of the use of the cell phones as part of free speech.  And it would be very hard to enforce any cell phone laws, because we have a prior record of people communicating while driving called Citizen's Band Radios.  These radios are used by truck drivers (and many other people) while driving cross-country, and are legal.  The cell phones are arguably just an extention of the use of CB Radio.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2005, 05:51:11 AM »

Michael: Your trailer link (trailer hitch?) isn't working.   :'(

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2005, 06:13:17 AM »

Good Morning!

It's raining here again in Fairfax, VA, too, but it's supposed to clear up by that ambiguous "mid-day" that all the meteorologists use.  One person's mid-day is another person's mid-afternoon.

??? :P ???

But I'm here... but I don't feel like singing about it this morning.  I'm still dealing with something going on in my throat - my left tonsil is bothering me.  Otherwise, the rest of my throat is fine.  And I have no fever either.  It's sort of strange.  I've had this happen before, and when I've gone to see the doctor, he/she has just said it was a residual effect of something leaving my system.  They take tests, and no infection comes up.  So... I have been fighting some sinus stuff the past week or so, so maybe that's it.  Guess I'll break out the Morton's after I have my oatmeal, and have a good gargle.  Otherwise...

Good Morning!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2005, 06:22:59 AM »

DR Hisaka - My voice mail message on my cell phone says: "I'm sorry I can't take your call right now.  I'm either in rehearsal, in performance, out of range or driving my car.  Please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible."

*I've even had some compliments from people leaving messages for the "driving my car" part.

There are two radio hosts on National Public Radio who have a call-in show called "Car Talk".  It's a very funny show.  Lots of good advice.  A few years ago, they were giving out bumper stickers that said:

DRIVE NOW, TALK LATER

And they ran out of those pretty fast - and I've seen them all over the country.

Additionally, when I've been listening to various radio stations, some of the radio stations will not accept calls from people on cell phones if they are calling in for a contest or a call-in show.  Or they will somehow make sure that if someone is calling from a cell phone in a car, that they are pulled over and are not driving.  Good policy!

What drives me most up the wall with people on cell phones is that a lot of people seem to be talking on their cell phone while they were driving as if they were talking on their phone at home on their couch.  Just yesterday, this big white van was driving a little too close to me in the next lane.  When I pulled up beside him, the driver was kind of nestled into the window with a gentle smile in his face - he looked very cozy, I guess he was talking to his girlfriend.  DRIVE, YOU IDIOT!!!  -He was even driving about 10 miles under the posted speed limit, and since this was the afternoon rush hour, he had other people trying to get around him, and beeping at him, but he didn't seem to notice anything.  Thankfully, by the time I got around and past him...  Well, I didn't have to deal with his negligent driving habits.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2005, 06:24:16 AM »

OK... Time to head down to the kitchen...

Back after brekkies...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2005, 06:27:55 AM »

But do they do the Limbo in Japan?  It is a traffic violation to use your cell in while driving in NY.  I hope they pass the same law here, although it won't stop certain types.

Does anyone with a Powerbook know if the back-lighted keyboard should or could be more back-lit than it is.  I can barely tell.  

It's not light out yet.  It was raining so hard I couldn't sleep - but the real reason I couldn't sleep is that I forgot to turn the heat off and I don't do well when the heat is on all night.  The good news is that it's warm now (I've turned it off for a while.  The rain is falling like crazy and the sprinkler just went on.  That's comedy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2005, 06:32:16 AM »

As everyone here knows, I'm a Bacharachaholic.  I love Walk on By, Close to You, Window Wishing, Are You There (With Another Girl), the entirety of Promises, Promises, several songs in Lost Horizon, Pacific Coast Highway, Nikki (used as the theme from the ABC Movie of the Week in the seventies), This Guy's in Love With You, They Don't Give Medals (To Yesterday's Heroes), It Doesn't Matter, Try to See it My Way (the latter three from On the Flip Side), Arthur's Theme, Wives and Lovers, Who is Gonna Love Me, Windows of the World, Here I Am, Come and Get Me (a great and not well-known B&D song), and many, many others.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2005, 06:32:30 AM »

Well that was a pointless night of sleep.  I woke up every two hours, tossed and turned...finally gave up at 5:30 and got up.  I was hoping to wake up to signs of a blizzard outside, which would have gotten me out of work...but no such luck.  All the snow seems to be falling north of Seattle, well above where I am.  Ah well...I need the paycheck anyway.  

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2005, 06:32:33 AM »

I just notice the AIDS activist and playwright Larry Krammer (The Normal Heart) wrote the screenplay for Lost Horizon.

He also wrote the screenplay for Women in Love. I read that Kramer's brother invested his Lost Horizon money for him - turning it into millions.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2005, 06:37:20 AM »

Favorite Bacharach songs include Close To You, What's New Pussycat, and, especially, The Look Of Love.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2005, 06:39:23 AM »

.... and I must admit - I do get some sort of guilty pleasure when I watch the musical version of "LOST HORIZON" .... Burt's music is fine ~ but what was Hal thinking of with those lyrics?????

..... "the world is a circle without a beginning and nobody knows where it really ends" !!!!!!!!!!

Mad Magazine did a great parody of the movie and song ("The world is a rhomboid without a circumference and nobody knows what this simile means.")

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2005, 06:44:00 AM »

Oh....Brad and Jen have split up....

Oh well.....shocking news!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2005, 06:45:11 AM »

Of course The Look of Love, along with the rest of the Casino Royale score.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up