Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: ONLY THE UPSIDE  (Read 89925 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:ONLY THE UPSIDE
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2005, 01:10:24 PM »

D'ya think the Book Revue in Huntington Long Island would be  nice place for you to come sign books dear bk?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 01:10:40 PM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2005, 01:11:08 PM »

Page seven!!

DANCE!!!!!!

vixmom

« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2005, 01:14:06 PM »

The sun is out, the sun is out, and now it is setting.........

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2005, 01:14:17 PM »

Just checking in. As I expected, I'm watching TV recorded during the past week to clear off the hard drive of the DVR, so no DVDs watchede today.

I did also record BEST FOOT FORWARD off TCM the other day, and I want to dub that over to a DVD-R. I never had it on laserdisc, and I'm sure my videotape isn't as pretty as it looked on TCM the other day.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2005, 01:14:30 PM »

Maybe I should switch to decaf

Matt H.

« Reply #185 on: January 10, 2005, 01:15:41 PM »

Thank you, DR RLP, for the DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES update. I have a feeling ABC won't rerun this show, so I'm going to have to depend "on the kindness of strangers" to know if any gay folks show up. I could have sworn I read somewhere that there was going to be a surprise gay character. Maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2005, 01:16:22 PM »

Maybe I should switch to decaf

Or to a doctor with a prescription pad...

:o
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2005, 01:16:38 PM »

...And he even offered to check out my throat for me too!  "Doctor!  Doctor!"

:D
You put the lime in the coconut
And call me in the mornin'
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2005, 01:17:01 PM »

Just wanted to remind fans of MEDIUM that a new episode is slated for tonight on NBC.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #189 on: January 10, 2005, 01:18:39 PM »

hmmm.. It's actually been sunny outside today and in the mid 60's... And I've just been spending the day inside... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2005, 01:20:51 PM »

Store the water?  Store it where, is the real question.  It would have to be stored near the mouth of the river, and that's all port area.

Well, they managed -- over the last 70 years or so -- to engineer hundreds of millions of gallons of water away from the valleys and Mono Lake to slake/sate the thirsty desert town of L.A.

With the technology available today, one would think they could man-make a reservoir and find a way to divert such torrential outflow INTO it....

I get your drift as to "where" it ought to be.  But it seems to me that all those minds that used to contemplate towing icebergs down to the southern climes and using desalination science to "water the desert" should have been able to figure out how to salvage the water that does manage to fall on LA.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 01:22:57 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2005, 01:20:56 PM »

DR Elmore -

"You've got to Accentuate the Positive..."

*I think Barbara Cook's rendition is my favorite version of this song.

~~~~GOOD HEALING VIBES~~~~

*Hmmm... You post had me wondering... Has the word "fistula" ever been used in a song lyric?  ;)

Are you being silly?  Maltby & Shire fans, step right up here!

DRAnn, I'm convinced everything will be fine for you as well.  Prayin' and hopin'

Thank you all for the vibes!  I believe in your amazing powers, DRs.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2005, 01:24:07 PM »

Thank you, DR RLP, for the DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES update. I have a feeling ABC won't rerun this show, so I'm going to have to depend "on the kindness of strangers" to know if any gay folks show up. I could have sworn I read somewhere that there was going to be a surprise gay character. Maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part.

DRMattH, there was a blurb in TVGuide hinting at Bree's husband's involvement with a man.  There was nothing about his S&M fantasies.   Given all the other madness on the show, it might have been something to throw readers and viewers off track.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2005, 01:26:20 PM »

G00D HEALTH VIBES TO

DR ELMOORE
DR ANN

ENOUGH ALREADY!!
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: January 10, 2005, 01:26:33 PM »

Are you being silly?  Maltby & Shire fans, step right up here!

DRAnn, I'm convinced everything will be fine for you as well.  Prayin' and hopin'

Thank you all for the vibes!  I believe in your amazing powers, DRs.

Me being silly?!??!  Pshaw!

;)

"Crossword Puzzle"?
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2005, 01:28:06 PM »

~~~~~~~MANY MANY GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO DR ELMORE!!!!!~~~~~~~~

My own surgery is in t-minus 11 days and counting.  Oh the joys of medical procedures...

Consider what it used to be like!  

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~VERY GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO D.R. ELMORE!!~~~[/move]

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~ALSO VERY GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO D.R. ANN!!~~~[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2005, 01:34:30 PM »

Good health vibes for DRs Elmore and Ann.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2005, 01:35:45 PM »

*Hmmm... You post had me wondering... Has the word "fistula" ever been used in a song lyric?  ;)
Do we REALLY want the answer to that?   :P

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]And ditto on the healing vibes to Elmore:

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #198 on: January 10, 2005, 01:37:57 PM »

Last night they showed DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES here at 7pm.  I love that timeslot (they used to show it here at that time before it became a hit).

Here the Canadian station is showing MEDIUM at 9pm (instead of 10pm on NBC).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2005, 01:39:28 PM »

Got my new book order today - four boxes worth, so I'm set for a while.

Still raining after all these years.  Awaiting the arrivel of the handyman.

Ann and elmore:  Excellent vibes and xylophones for HEALTH

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2005, 01:43:39 PM »

...With the technology available today, one would think they could man-make a reservoir and find a way to divert such torrential outflow INTO it....

I get your drift as to "where" it ought to be.  But it seems to me that all those minds that used to contemplate towing icebergs down to the southern climes and using desalination science to "water the desert" should have been able to figure out how to salvage the water that does manage to fall on LA.
Der Brucer pointed out something in the interim: that the land itself in Los Angeles is part of the problem.  There's only so much water the land can hold, which as it happens is very little.  It's part of the desert landscape, that the water flows into the earth very quickly...and flows out just as quickly, all downhill.  Thus, DR Pogue's neighbors are collapsing.  Thus, the water flows out of the land and into that concrete river.  Engineers have looked at the water storage question from all angles, and the solution they've got is the best they can create.

Another DerB addendum: the people that died in the floods before the LA River was paved numbered in the thousands.

Not to mention someone getting swept away in the floodwaters every time there's a storm, even today.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2005, 01:47:47 PM »

And vibes for Ann, too!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2005, 01:48:49 PM »

The rain slackened enough to take Tewkes out for a quick squirt (and he did so much more! The dear boy!) and went up the hill to survey the damage of the slide.  Not only dirt came down but several rather small trees or large bushes, right up to the neighbour's fence on the other side of the road.  The spot that collapsed used to be something of a deer warren.  Every year there seemed to be a doe and a couple of fawns living there.  Hope none were caught in the slide.  But then I didn't see any askew hooves sticking out of the branches or from under the dirt piles.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: January 10, 2005, 01:55:48 PM »

I have purposely stayed away from news broadcasts - they must be having a field day with this rain - they live for this stuff.  I'm sure they're being their ususal over-dramatic actorish selves complete with dramatic music.

Matt H.

« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2005, 02:04:26 PM »

Thanks for the info, DR Elmore. I'm sure that's where I read about Bree's husband (TV GUIDE), and there may have been a disclaimer in the piece saying that it was just speculation. Time will tell, I'm sure.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: January 10, 2005, 02:18:03 PM »

Handyman and partner are here.  Hopefully, they will fix all problems handily.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2005, 02:22:06 PM »

I don't believe these boys speak a word of English, so I have no idea if they know what they are doing or not.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: January 10, 2005, 02:27:15 PM »

Thanks for the info, DR Elmore. I'm sure that's where I read about Bree's husband (TV GUIDE), and there may have been a disclaimer in the piece saying that it was just speculation. Time will tell, I'm sure.

DRMattH, did you ever order any Renaissance music?  If so, what did you get?

vixmom

« Reply #208 on: January 10, 2005, 02:29:25 PM »

Dear BK I received my book and CD today, thanks!! I am very excited.  One quick question, will it spoil things if I listen to the CD before reading the book?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 02:33:38 PM by vixmom »

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #209 on: January 10, 2005, 02:32:57 PM »

Well, they managed -- over the last 70 years or so -- to engineer hundreds of millions of gallons of water away from the valleys and Mono Lake to slake/sate the thirsty desert town of L.A.

With the technology available today, one would think they could man-make a reservoir and find a way to divert such torrential outflow INTO it....

A. Mono lake to LA - downhill (nature pays the energy coat); putting water back - uphill - mucho big bucks energy cost!

B. Actually the LA Basin is ringed by systems of dams and reservoirs to collect water - the flooding LA and San Gabriel rivers are the result of spill-over from these reservoirs!

C. Studies to use rain water to recharge the aquafiers have always come up short. During the rainy seasons the aquafiers rapidly recharge and when the later torrents come, there is no water-room left at the aquafier inn.

D. Nature's way of charging aquafiers is a slow seepage process; when man decided to pave over most of the desert that is now LA County, he removed the vast majority of seepage points; since the rain now has no place to soak in, it follows gravity desparately looking for a resting place.

E. All that pavement in LA County also serves as a depository of vast quantities of oil and grease that result from the operation and storage of motor vehicles. Throughout the long dry season, the oils accumulate, and come the rains, vast quatities of hydrocarbons are released into the flowing rainwater and crate torrents of petro-sludge flowing into the rivers and on to the sea.

F. The vast collection of debris you saw in the picture I posted of Long Beach harbor is the result of trash entering the LA river from all the many up-stream towns. After years of argument, legislation has been passed requiring the various cities to clean up their run-off before it hits the river; virtually every city is suing to stop implementaion of the legislation maintaining that the cost is probibitive - "If the river is to be made clean we will have no police or fire, and all the libraries and parks shall be closed!"  

G. The pillaging of MONO lake was cost-effective (from an LA point of View) - the creation of additional storm water holding facilies is not. (Note - the Bay area solved their water problems by building huge dams and flooding vast areas of pristine wilderness.)

H. In spite of all of these problems, southern California is still continuing on an never-ending quest to cover more dirt with concrete to provide homes for people who will need lots of water and will demand more roads for transportation.

I. Even though the conservationists can predict where the floods will be, where there will mudslides, and where there will be significant fire danger, the home builders return! (Like natives retuning to settle on the slopes of a volcano before the lava is cool.)

der Brucer
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 02:33:28 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up