Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SLEEPING BEAUTY  (Read 27277 times)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
Re:SLEEPING BEAUTY
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2003, 12:18:55 PM »

LOL, Ben, and thanks for the welcome!  I only have about 50 posts til full membership now!

Thanks to those who made me feel even more karmalicious!

Craig--WB to the cookie jar!  How cool is it that you went to school with David Boreanaz!  TD must be turning green right now!  ;D

steveg

« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2003, 12:44:49 PM »

Favorite Broadway songs of inspiration:
Although most mentioned before:
When You Walk Through A Storm
Children Will Listen
Move On
No One is Alone
Somewhere
Climb Every Mountain
You've Got to Be Taught
Give Me Your Tired and Your Poor (IB from Miss Liberty)

With regard to Climb Every Mountain, last night I saw the PaperMill production of Sound of Music in NJ.  This was a mediocre production, with the scenery not up to its usual standards.  Although the Maria, the kids, and the supporting cast were generally good, Bob Cuccioli was terrible as the Captain.  This is not a well written part, but his line readings were flat and boring and he was very stiff.  Also the exits and entrances were very stilted.  The Mother Superior had a decent enough voice, but not operatic enough for the role.  There was nothing inventive about this production and it paled in cmoparison to the recent Broadway revival.  What was interesting was, however, that they used a combination of the movie score in place of the Broadway score.  They inserted the "I Have Confidence" song I and replaced "An Ordinary Couple" with the movie song "Something Good" . They, however, retained the placement of "My Favorite Things" in the Mother Superior's office and used the "Lonely Goatherd" during Maria's bedroom scene witih the kids during the storm.  The Broadway revival used the movie songs but used "My Favorite Things" as the storm song as it was used in the movie, where it really works better for audience response.  I don't remember where they placed the Goatherd song in the Broadway revival - maybe they used it as in the movie in a puppet show, but I can't remember.  Also, I seem to remember that the reprise of "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" song between Leisel and Maria occurred after Leisel realized that her boyfriend had become a Nazi.  Here it is placed before and doesn't make much sense, especially the lines "A bell is no bell 'till you ring it, a song is no song 'till you sing it, and love in your heart wasn't put there to stay, love isn't love 'till you give it away."  By the way, I remember reading many years ago that these were the last line that Oscar Hammerstein wrote and were inserted during the pre-Broadway tour of TSOM.

I also saw Wicked this past Monday night.  It had a very strong audience reaction and the two leads were excellent.  Much criticism has been heaped on the score, but I found it pleasant and I really can never judge a score on only a first hearing.  The show is no Hairspray or Producers, and is not going to be a megahit in that category.  I think it will get mixed reviews.  Joel Grey is totally wasted in his role.  He has very little to do and really doesn't shine at all.  I found certain things disorienting with respect to WOZ, particularly the ages of the characters.  I thought this was taking place many years before Dorothy falls into OZ, which makes sense that the witches-to-be are fairly young as compared to Glinda and the Wicked Witch in WOZ, who were both not very young.  But when the Wicked Witch is melted by Dorothy in Wicked, it doesn't seem that very much time has passed since the time that she and Glinda met.  Overall, however, my wife and I found the show enjoyable and I would recommend it.  It is not, however, great.  I would beware of where you sit in the Gershwin Theatre.  If you sit too close on the side, you will miss alot of action.  Parts of the scenary block the stage action to those on the sides.  We were in row G, towards the side and were able to see, but those closer and more to the side really missed alot.  The Gershwin (formerly the Uris) is too big and not a "warm" theatre at all.
I'm just a bagel on a plate of onion rolls.

Jennifer

« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2003, 01:09:09 PM »

DR RonP wrote:
Jennifer:  By George (and Ben and Bruce and td and Jason), I think you've got it!

WYSIWYG -- did anyone tell you what this was?  "What You See is What You Get"?

Is that really what it stands for?

And btw, yes I was able to use the "WYSIWYG" button. But nobody answered my question.  I click on that button. Choose a font and a size and colors. But when I "submit" my message in the little HHW message box, it has all kinds of font codes. What is that about? For the color part, I think I chose one that didn't exist. But why for the font and font size. Has anyone else experienced this?  I simply previewed and deleted the code. But it seems awfully odd.

Btw, for those Survivor fans. Check out the canoe chat from today:http://rapids.canoe.ca/cgi-bin/NewChat/NC-transcript.pl?CHAT_NAME=SurvivorPearlIslands5&TEMPLATE=transcript.html&ACTION=LAUNCH&LAST=3

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2003, 01:21:17 PM »

Yes. That's really what it stands for. And why in the world would you go through all the trouble to ADD the code through WYSIWYG and then immediately delete the code immediately after???

Tomovoz

« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2003, 01:21:27 PM »

At this time of the morning I need a song of inspiration! Where are you François? Yes indeed I expect our French friend to sing me a song of inspiration.  It is Halloween here and as some of you are no doubt aware, a major NON EVENT in Oz. Happy Halloween to you all for tomorrow. The only Halloween song I can think of is "One Halloween" from "Applause".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2003, 01:40:43 PM »

Hello fellow dear readers! I hope you all have been having splendid Thursdays, I know I'm having a great one. Thursdays are always the best days. :)

Story time: You all remember Paulie, correct? He's a poster here at HHW who, for the last few weeks, has been very E and T because of his many many commitments, etc. Paulie and I thought up the idea of writing a song a few months ago. We decided he would write the lyrics, I would figure out a melody, harmonies, etc, and he would then take the music and put piano to it. Well, he sent me the lyrics a few weeks ago, and they're gorgeous. They might need a little tweaking here and there, but they really show exactly what we were trying to make out of the song, etc. HERE is my problem: Every time I think of something, I automatically psyche myself out, because I'm afraid that whatever I think up won't go with his beautiful lyrics. So, of course, I am turning to you all. I'm going to post the lyrics, and you can play with them all you want, and if/when you think of a tune, tell me about it! He doesn't know I'm doing this, but I think it might cheer him up a bit, as he's a bit overloaded. BTW, some of the stuff may not make too much sense, but that's because he, very creatively, combined a lot of our inside jokes in it, etc. I'll get them and post them in a few minutes. THANK YOU!!!!!! *mwah*

BK: So glad you have a computer that works. Hissy fits rule.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Tomovoz

« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2003, 01:42:20 PM »

Everytime I look at the "Sleeping Beauty" headings I think of the Jimmy Dean song "To A Sleeping Beauty" - Wish I didn't! The mind wanders. Does anyone remember the Jack Ross version of "Cinderella"?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2003, 01:42:32 PM »

The Lyrics to "Buona Sera, Darling"

I was hoping to see you tonight, my love
But clouds cover the sky, truly a shame
For I stare through the window dreaming of us
And far away I know you are doing the same

I wanted to kiss you goodnight
I wanted to embrace you tight
The distance between us keeps love away
But until we're together, to you I will say

Buona sera, darling
I hope you can hear me
Buona sera, darling
When will you be near me?

I am dreaming of keeping you warm, my love
Though the snow falls and the winder is cold
Still I stare through the window dreaming of the day
When I will finally touch your warm heart of gold

[bridge]
Buona sera, darling
Buona sera...

Darling, I'll always kiss you goodnight
And forever I'll embrace you tight
When I kiss your lips, the bells start to ring
And now that I with you, together we'll sing

Buona sera, darling
Love is now a song for two
Buona sera, darling
Always know that I love you
Always know that I love you
Buona sera, darling, I love you

So there you go...sappy, yes, but really cute, right? Oh and I might not be on for the rest of the night, as my dad just made a surprise turn and came home early. Eep! Email suggestions to me at sarah@davishome.us.

Bye! ~Swishy~

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2003, 01:49:09 PM »

WICKED opens tonight, so I just want to wish one and all to break legs for tonight's performance.

BOUNCE opens in DC tonight, too!

:)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2003, 01:55:44 PM »

Thank you so much (a SHE LOVES ME reference), DR td, for the picture of Lorne, sans make-up. He DOES seem familiar.

I became a Junior Member today as well, and I feel SO grown up. And being a Junior in real life as well as at HHW makes me feel twice blessed!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2003, 01:59:26 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~Good opening night vibes to Idina, Kristin, Joel, Norbert Leo, Michele, Howard, Richard, Gavin, Jane and to the entire collective casts of Wicked and Bounce~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Swishy--what a lovely song, or rather song lyrics...Paulie should be very proud.   By the way, someone still owes me her voice clips!   ;)  Hopefully you'll be back on IM soon!

Time to go home.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2003, 02:14:59 PM »

wow. out of sight- out of mind I guess. My karma seems so low compared to all you non E&T posters of the past few days LOL

François

« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2003, 02:21:54 PM »

A song of inspiration? hum... let's see if I'm inspired!

Well! What about that great hymn by the great Jerry Herman?

"I AM WHAT I AM!"

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2003, 02:39:13 PM »

How is it that Francois, who is only present on Thursdays, can have more posts than me?! I am thoroughly confused. I shall just have to start posting numerous times. In a non-annoying way of course.

I'm practicing to try out for a solo at All-District Chorus next weekend. It's a call-and-response song called "Sahayta", made up of different words from different languages that all have meanings similar to "Peace and Joy". The "leader" sings something out, and the chorus and audience respond. There are some fun words like "!Uba !Uoba" (The "!" representing a tongue click...very fun), and Ngoyila, where you make the "ING" sound at the beginning. You get to do a lot of talking to the audience if you get the solo, so I'm thinking that might be fun.

Maya: Aren't they great? He emailed them and I was swoooooning.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2003, 02:43:08 PM »

Mary Martin used to tell the story, that when Sound of Music was in rehearsal was when they were first told that Oscar Hammerstein was ill, but no one knew for sure how ill he was.  The first night they opened out of town, Mary had hoped that Oscar would be able to come up for the show.  Instead he sent her a note wishing her the best, and at the bottom of the note he had written by hand the now famous words A bell is no bell till you ring it.............  

After the show they learned that Oscar Hammerstein had died, and Mary asked that words me written into the show.

I don't know if the story is true, but it always made me cry.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2003, 03:05:33 PM »

It is so nice to have a computer that works!  I have set it up so I can write the next day's notes from here if I have time, which will be very helpful to me, oh, yes, which will be very helpful to me.

Now, what is this LULL?  It is prime afternoon/early evening (depending on your time zone) posting time and yet the posts are few and far between.  I need reading entertainment, dear readers, so let's get some postin' goin' on or I will send Sydney Bristow to visit you.

We're going to have quite the party here tomorrow - I've been preparing the party favors and I'm warning you now - be afraid, be very afraid.

François

« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2003, 03:10:14 PM »

Swishy, you're wrong!

I'm "here" on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays AND Sundays every other week!

Thanks so much for noticing me! -- I'm joking --

I'm surprised you don't complain that my "karma" is less than yours!
Anyway, life is more than numbers!
Ain't that.... inspiring?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2003, 03:13:51 PM »

I am remiss in not posting today until now.  I've been tied up with sundry and moonwet tasks.  As far as the Topic of the Day is concerned, I cannot think of a single song to add to the wonderful ones that have already been mentioned here.  But Dear BK taught me long ago that a dull post with nary any content is better than no post at all.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2003, 03:15:49 PM »

People?  How can we ever get to five hundred posts if you won't pitch in.  You must pitch in, you must pull your weight (no mean feat), you must help pull us over the top, for we must climb ev'ry mountain and ford ev'ry stream or, at the very least, chevrolet ev'ry stream.  Give me a P, give me an O, give me an S, give me a T, what do they spell - POST.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2003, 03:26:20 PM »

Lovely lyrics Paulie & Sarah.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2003, 04:04:02 PM »

BK - I don't think a lot of DRs would mind if Sydney Bristow came to visit them!

Sarah - lovely lyrics.

I don't have very much to post about so here is what I've been up to.

Yesterday I went to the matinee of The Boy from Oz, which I mostly enjoyed.  Very funny hearing all the women in the audience scream when Hugh Jackman took his shirt off - I wondered where the screaming men were?  :)  I also saw Brendan Fraser in the lobby going in and after the show the cast acknowledged him because he is apparently thinking of taking over the role after Hugh leaves.  To raise money for BC/EFA, the cast auctioned off a pumpkin signed by the cast (since it's Halloween) as well as a towel used by Mr. Jackman.  Both went for over $500!

Today I went to the in-store performance/signing for the new Little Shop cast recording.  It was a lot of fun, and everyone in the cast was super nice, but the basement of the Virgin Megastore was like an oven!

I am seeing Wicked on Saturday and can't wait!  A friend of mine saw the pre-New York run in San Francisco so we are going to compare notes afterwards.  (Random story: I got a chance to meet Kristin Chenoweth a few years ago after a show and she was one of the nicest, most gracious people.  The next day, she won the Tony!)

If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

td

• td
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2003, 04:07:06 PM »

To those who like David Boreanaz and ANGEL - I have some fun audio and video of David, as he was often my class partner in college during our freshman and sophmore years in college... A great guy then and even more so now...

Craig, that is what I would imagine of David B.  Despite his portrayal of a vampire (soulful, though), he comes across as a down to earth, loving kind of guy.  Hey, he has a couple of dogs, a beautiful wife and a nearly newborn baby, to paraphrase Stephen Sondheim:  "What more could he need?"

Now, Maya, I'd hardly be turning green. . .that's for Lorne. . .PLUS, I'm still on the Jason Graae/Karen Morrow/Paige O'Hara High from a couple of weeks ago. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2003, 04:21:59 PM »

I don't know nothin' about birthin' babies, but I do know a little something about unseemly lulls.  I suppose I shall have to visit other websites for my reading pleasure if this lull continues.  Since no other websites have our level of intelligence and discourse that shall be sad indeed.  

Jed

« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2003, 04:36:12 PM »

Give me a P, give me an O, give me an S, give me a T, what do they spell - POST.  

The greatest such cheer of all time (IMO, of course) is done by my alma mater's marching band at a couple football games each year.  Keep in mind, I find this so funny due to my status as a music nerd.

"Gimme an F!  Gimme an A!  Gimme a C!  Gimme an E!  What does that spell?
F MAJOR SEVEN!!!"   ;D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2003, 04:41:45 PM »

Oh pish posh, Bruce Kimmel. You want posts, you got posts.

I have to take the SAT on Saturday. I have to arrive between 7:30-7:45. The high school is 25 minutes away from my school. That means I have to leave at 7:10. THAT means I have to get up at 6. I don't WANT to get up at 6, just like I don't WANT to take the stupid test. AND, AND, I have to take it on December 6th as well. How dumb is that?

Best Friend Aly got her permit today, and so we are now both permitted drivers. 4 more months and I can get my license. That, my friends, is not very far away. I am tres excited.

Today I had something of a breakthrough friendship. A guy in my Algebra class and I have always been nice to each other, but today, we found out that we both lived in the same city in Oklahoma at the same time, but went to different schools. It was an automatic conversation topic, and we talked for a long time about places we remembered, etc. It was a fun conversation, and he's kind of gorgeous, so, I, needless to say, actually had a good Algebra class today.

Friday is Halloween, and I'm going to a party at a friends house where we shall watch a billion scary movies and talk away. Unfortunately, I have to leave early because of the stupid test. Pffltllfltlf.

BROTHER AND GIRLFRIEND MAY BE BREAKING UP! THIS IS GREAT NEWS! Happy dance is necessary!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]*dance-dance-spin-dance-take out voodoo doll of Arianne-dance-spin-twirl-stick pins in her eyes-dance-spin-leap-bow!*[/move]

I'm afraid that I'm actually OUT of babble. Scary.

Kerry

« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2003, 04:41:56 PM »

I think Jerry Herman has written so many songs that are inspirational.  They're everywhere in his shows:
"Before the Parade Passes By," "It's Today," "Open A New Window, "  "The Best of Times," "I'll Be Here Tomorrow,"  "Dear World, " etc.    
My favorite would depend on my mood.

And I think it was Bea Benaderet.

I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2003, 04:42:57 PM »

We had a nice long birthday luncheon for my boss (I had portobello mushrooms with mascarpone cheese and pine nuts for an entree and duck confit for my main course).

Then we had a two-hour staff meeting in which many important words were stated and then made fun of.

And now it's time to go home.  But hopefully the lull ends here and now.

Now and here, the lull must stop.

Otherwise, I'll be posting another nonsensical message within 45 minutes that will appear right after this one.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2003, 04:45:45 PM »

Swishy Sarah:  Talking in Algebra class with some dishy guy with whom you went to different high schools together when you both lived in Oklahoma is NOT going to get your fershluganah Algebra grade UP!

;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2003, 04:50:32 PM »

Post #118!   Short and to the point.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2003, 04:51:20 PM »

You see, Swishy and Ron Pulliam, your posts were cheery and fun to read and saved me the bother of going to another website for my mental delectation.  I am all caught up here, viewing-wise, so I think I shall go home a bit early.  Tons of new tapes are getting transcribed, so tomorrow, Saturday and Monday's viewing chores will be enormous.  The first two "reviews" of Wicked have arrived (both rather early in my opinion) - Mandelbaum and Talkin' B'way.  I don't consider either of them important but they are both negative, with Mandelbaum a bit more in the middle than TB.  Unfortunately, they both are unhappy with Mr. Schwartz's work.  I must say, that unless this score has been completely redone since the workshop I saw, I have no clue why people are so displeased with the score - I thought it had some of Schwartz's best work in ages.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up