Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: I, POD  (Read 83315 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:I, POD
« Reply #240 on: January 13, 2005, 06:37:25 PM »

I love Shuffle Play.  I must load some more music into the computer over the next few days - I want to do a Bacharach playlist,  a musicals playlist (overtures and songs separately), more soundtrack selections, a jazz playlist, and more vocals.

What do any of you know about the Four King Cousins?

Michael

« Reply #241 on: January 13, 2005, 07:02:54 PM »

DRLaura, lovely pictures.

We have a bobcat that lives in our area.  I have never seen him up close.

I didn't know the Goldwaits lived in your area!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #242 on: January 13, 2005, 07:04:52 PM »

Well, I'm back from my date with Miss PennyO and my friend Richard's exhibit, which was quite enjoyable.  Then we had a wonderful dinner (not at Arties!) and I'm ready to crash.

Now about the opening of JEWISH THIGHS in March:  opening night is March 16th, Wednesday night, but I think a good HHW night might be Saturday night March 19, because if any Hainsie/Kimlets wanted to come to NYC for the weekend, they might want to catch some other shows before heading out of town.

So, I'll let the DRs decide about the night.  Any opinions?  PLEASE!!!!!

I like the Saturday idea since I am coming from out of town and my time is limited. Not sure if I will make it for the Wed, opening. I could also do Friday night, If that's an option.
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #243 on: January 13, 2005, 07:05:40 PM »

Thank you for the photographs DearReaderLaura. Colin will love the owls. (He collects them - not real ones).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #244 on: January 13, 2005, 07:07:33 PM »

My close personal friend Susannah Mars' father, Kenneth, is absolutely hysterical on Malcolm in the Middle as the Norsky ranch owner.

I never made the connections between the two. Ken was brilliant in the movies he did with Mel Brooks. And I do recommend her cd called TAKE ME TO THE WORLD on the LML records (Lee Lessack's label)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #245 on: January 13, 2005, 07:09:18 PM »

Congrats on the scipt Anna! Now time to go back and rewrite! ;D

At one point I am going to have to stop making changes with mine and work on it with the actors.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2005, 07:14:52 PM »

I always think Catherine Keener is Tatum O'Neal when I see her in movies.

And I am watching Tess.  I had forgotten how much Nastassia Kinski looks/ed like Ingrid Bergman and/or Issabella Rossellini in that movie.

Well I know its Catherine Keener because Tatum hasn't made a decent movie since Little Darlings in 1980 (people seemed to like but I refuse to see based on the premise of the film)

It's a shame that Tatum has followed Liza's path down to the road to career self destruction. Both had mothers who were drug addicts and couldn't take care of the children.
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #247 on: January 13, 2005, 07:33:50 PM »

Strange doin's department:  I refreshed the page, and, lo and behold (and also behold and lo), everyone's avatar had disappeared and I was no longer a "user," but a "guest."  Isn't that weird?  That's the first time I've had to re-log in in a long time.

Can some of you techheads help me?  Is there a decent shareware sound recorder you can recommend?  What I need is something that will record from the line in.  We regularly tape the Tigard Pops performances (as in cassette), and then I copy the tapes.  I've had a guy who has the capability to burn CDs from the tape for those who want CDs, but he's travelling this session and won't be in the choir.  So I need something where I can hook up the cassette player to the computer through my line in, and record a decent quality WAV file that I can then burn to CD.  Editing would be nice, too, since I tend to babble between songs at the concerts and would want to delete that for the final CD.  Thanks for any suggestions.

(Just in case someone is going to mention this, the sound recorder that comes with Windows won't work because it will only do up to 1 minute.  I need something that has no time limit for the recordings).

DR JMK, I use something called Total Recorder.  I use it to not only record from the line-in but also web radio broadcasts.  The thing is, it's not shareware, but the standard version is cheap.  You can read more about it at the High Criteria web site.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #248 on: January 13, 2005, 07:36:37 PM »

Bruce,
Well, the King Cousins featured the four daughters of the King Sisters, I believe, (although a couple of them could have been from other offshoots of the family).  Tina Cole is the the only one whose name I remember.   They used some of the same harmonies as the King Sisters (although not as daring).  I believe Tina Cole's father was Buddy Cole, the organist on the original version of "Mr. Lucky."   Anything else you'd like to know?  I'm sure there's a whole King Family tree somewhereon the internet, but it would frighten me.

The King Sisters' harmonies got to be pretty daring (sometimes verging on being close to what the Hi-Lo's later did).  They sounded great with Alvino Ray, but I don't remember which sister was married to Alvino Ray.

Tina Cole was later featured on "My Three Sons" as Robbie's wife.   The King Cousins were also featured one summer on the Kraft Music Hall along with John Davidson and up and coming young comics, George Carlin and Richard Pryor.   This is all I can pull out of my head about the King Cousins without loooking anything up.  So why are you asking about the King cousins?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 07:45:16 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #249 on: January 13, 2005, 07:36:37 PM »

Kerry- :D

Dan (the Man) I loved NOTHERN EXPOSURE but would not want to live full time with those people.  I think Joel was the only sane person in the town. ::)

LOL!  Uh-oh, DR Jane--I always thought that Joel was the one person in town who wasn't sane.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #250 on: January 13, 2005, 07:40:33 PM »

Because there is a King Cousins CD that sounds like it might be right up my alley.

Kerry

« Reply #251 on: January 13, 2005, 07:43:28 PM »

Bruce--
Go for it then.  They were good-- wholesome but good.   Not pasty like the various girl and sister groups on Lawrence Welk.
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #252 on: January 13, 2005, 07:43:38 PM »

Great pics, DR Laura!  I've always had a fascination with owls.

DR Tomovoz, what kinds of owls does Colin collect?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 07:49:01 PM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #253 on: January 13, 2005, 08:01:27 PM »

I am tempted to say Owl be with you in apple blossom time but NO.

Ornamental owls.  He likes to buy one in every country we visit - wooden, china, glass, crstal, etc. All shapes and sizes.  There are 100s of owls here.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #254 on: January 13, 2005, 08:13:29 PM »

I did not like Bonne Hunt's improv sitcom at all. I didn't find it at all funny (and they all seemed to think they were hilarious.) It did look spectacular in high definition. I don't know why it looked so different from other high def sitcoms, but it did. It truly looked like you could walk right into the screen and be in her house. Amazing HD photography.

The biggest tragedy about Bonnie's sitcom involved the hunky Mark Derwin who played her husband on the show. He was a regular on ONE LIFE TO LIVE, and the writers put his character in a coma so he could go to the West Coast and do her show. After the sitcom was picked up for a second year, ONE LIFE TO LIVE decided they had to cut him loose, and no sooner did they do that than Bonnie's sitcom hit rough ratings waters and was canceled even before the second season came to an end. So Mark lost two jobs within months of each other.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #255 on: January 13, 2005, 08:17:41 PM »

There were some tornado touch-downs in the area tonight (not here in Charlotte, thankfully, but in surrounding counties), but because there were, all network programming was suspended thus making me miss JOEY, COMMMITTED, WILL & GRACE, and CSI.

For anyone who did see W&G tonight, did Will and Vince break up tonight? I'll catch the show when it reruns during the upcoming months, but I'd like to know now if anyone happened to see it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 08:18:17 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #256 on: January 13, 2005, 08:23:22 PM »

What's in YOUR wallet?

nosy bugger
No credit cards.  Don't believe in 'em, don't use 'em.

With a philosophy like that, I'm amazed I'm not on a wheatgrass diet.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #257 on: January 13, 2005, 08:29:04 PM »

Glad you all enjoyed the photos. We really enjoyed the beautiful weather today.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #258 on: January 13, 2005, 08:42:02 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from the show.  It's raining.  It's 64 degrees outside right now.  What season are we in again?  What month are we in again?  What hemisphere is the US in again?

I did end up making a trip to the music store before the show.  However, I made a mental list of the books I wanted to buy, and I stuck to it.  More or less.  Just two "strays", but they weren't that stray.  So...

Once I left the music store, I realized it was only 5:00.  I thought it was later.  I had a few hours to kill before show time, so I just started driving around checking out some old haunts that I hadn't been to in a while.  It was mainly a driving tour, and that was plenty.  There were whole stretches of streets and shops that were completely transformed.  The big shock was finding a new Target in the Baileys Crossroads/Skyline area.  It used to be a sort of mini-mall, and now it was one big(!) brand new Target.  I was literally saying, "O my god" out loud in the car, it was that much a shock.  Then driving by another once familiar row of shops and restaurants, I noticed that a seafood place my parents would take us kids too when we were younger had transformed itself into a Salvadoran restaurant.

My final stop before heading in for the show was Little Quiapo, my godmother's Filipino restaurant.  I ended up picking up a tray of lumpia, Filipino style eggrolls, to bring in for the cast and crew.  I got a tray of 100 - they're small, cocktail-sized.  They were all gone by the 5 minute call.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #259 on: January 13, 2005, 08:44:03 PM »

I have to wonder if the folks over at the Mac Store have gone ahead and planted some sort of homing device so that they know when BK is coming in again... $$$

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #260 on: January 13, 2005, 08:44:45 PM »

When it comes to the classic comics, I agree with Roger Rabbit: Goofy is a genius!  What timing!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #261 on: January 13, 2005, 08:44:52 PM »

DR Matthew - Congratulations!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #262 on: January 13, 2005, 08:52:07 PM »

Note to those "out of town" DRs planning to come see JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY Opening Night/Weekend-

I was just reminded by my alma mater's academic calendar, that the opening week of JEWISH THIGHS is Spring Break for a lot of colleges.  -That week or the week before.

So... It would probably be best to start making hotel and plane reservations now rather than later.  -Yes, I know college kids normally go to someplace warm - Cancun, Cabo, etc. - for Spring Break, but a lot of them do head to NYC.  I know I did.  *And the hotels know it's Spring Break too, since the rates start to return to "normal" the first week of March.

And I believe the Spring Fashion season starts around that time too.

Just thinking ahead.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #263 on: January 13, 2005, 09:01:01 PM »

I always know what to wear when in doubt: Lounging pyjamas, a smoking jacket, and bunny slippers.  How can you go wrong?
Not a good idea when it's raining.  The bunnies don't like getting soaked.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2005, 09:05:45 PM »

I always though Carl Betz was very handsome.   Is there anytning in the sitcom moral code that says you can't sleep with your father?
At the time, there was something in the sitcom moral code that said even married parents couldn't sleep together.

Which leads us to the obvious conclusion: sperm can pole-vault.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #265 on: January 13, 2005, 09:17:46 PM »

After another long, tiring day of ladsitting, we finally made our way home and had venison chili for dinner.

We've another day of ladsitting tomorrow, and I'm already starting to nod off here at the computer.  Wussburger time.   :P

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #266 on: January 13, 2005, 09:30:56 PM »

The King Family, including sisters, cousins and the whole darned lot of them, are from Utah, and I've known quite a few of them.  Lex de Azevedo was the pater familias of the generation that I knew the best.  He would come to the University and give guitar summits, and he also guest taught my jazz theory class.  His son started a little designer label called Aubergine that I had some dealings with a few years ago.  And, yes, BK, they would be right up your McGuire Sisters doing "Getting Married Today" alley.  :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 09:31:32 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #267 on: January 13, 2005, 09:51:53 PM »

Just finished Mikey and Nicky - I think this is the first time I've ever seen its "approved" version, which is considerably shorter than its release version, if I recall correctly.  Anyway, more about that later.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #268 on: January 13, 2005, 10:19:54 PM »

Oh, I meant to mention this when we had Bacharach day...

I was checking things out online, and noticed that the CD of PROMISES, PROMISES is already out of print.  I know the disc wasn't perfect, but it seems to have had a very short release time.  Was it supposed to be a limited release?
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #269 on: January 13, 2005, 10:27:27 PM »

MattH:  Yes, Will and Vince broke up.

Officially, they agreed to a "break", but Will told Grace he thinks they've broken up.  

The show didn't have a single laugh...dreary from start to finish.  Tomlin included, IMO.  Will was ugly about Vince, Vince was pathetic (and was fired from another job), Karen was ugly about Rosie (who had tonsillitis and had to have her tonsils out), Jack was frustrated with Karen, Grace was set up on a date with Tomlin's "hubby" (with unfunny problems of his own).  A misfire on every conceivable level, IMO.  QUITE the episode to air just after winning the People's Choice award!!! (And Grace still looks like she hasn't washed her hair since the new season began).

I avoided the 8-9 p.m. hour of masochism on NBC, opting for the CBS "Wickedly Perfect" in which a bunch of overzealous divas in two teams vied/sniped/bitched about/at/with one another while throwing themed dinner parties in competition.  The prima donnas were appropriately dissed and dealt with.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 10:31:24 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up