Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MUSIC OF THE NOTES  (Read 78726 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE MUSIC OF THE NOTES
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2005, 09:13:26 AM »

What a strange morning.  I was awakened by what sounded like a book falling over.  I don't know what it really was as no book had fallen over, since there are no books in my bedroom.  I took a walk around the home environment and all was well.  Then I got back in bed and couldn't sleep, and then I started getting some interesting thoughts which led to other thoughts and then I was madly scribbling on my bedside pad.  I fell back asleep at some point, and then I was awakened again, this time by the doorbell.  Since last night I was a bit discombobulated or, at the very least, discomneilulated, thinking it was Thursday rather than Friday (after midnight) I also forgot that she of the Evil Eye was coming today rather than Saturday.  Talk about disorienting.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2005, 09:14:56 AM »

I didn't name any songs from Broadway shows since the list would go on for pages, but the song written for Liza in BEST FOOT FORWARD, "You Are for Loving" is indeed one of my favorites. (Later interpolated into MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2005, 09:15:45 AM »

Media check tomorrow, comedy today.

I am now going to have to beat a hasty retreat and kill time.  Perhaps I'll have a spot of breakfast.

Ben

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2005, 09:35:07 AM »

JMK said:

"Is this because I'm a lesbian?"

Absolutely, without a doubt, yes!

Now you know.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 09:43:24 AM by Ben »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2005, 09:38:26 AM »

I just got my video copy of THE CARDINAL - which I haven't seen in many years....even though it is not letterboxed or DVD - I wanted to check it out on a two dollar video buy before investing in the DVD.

Where can you find a King Cousins cd?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2005, 09:39:40 AM »

And just so you all know,

"My Boy Lollipop"

has been supplanted by

"Venus in Blue Jeans"

Damn you all. Damn you all to hell!!

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2005, 09:40:43 AM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2005, 09:42:19 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

The storms that were over DR MattH gradually worked their way northward.  It was quite stormy here in the DC area from about 3:00-6:00.  Lots of rain, lots of wind and some thunder.  It woke me up.  A couple of times.  Even my father who normally sleep through almost anything had some trouble sleeping last night.

And speaking of my father, he decided to go ahead and get dressed up and head into work.  He's just going in to help with the afternoon clean-up, but it's nice to know that he's feeling that much better.  -Although, I think he's still officially on leave for a few more weeks.

In the meantime, my brother Mike's dog, Iki, a chihuahua, is keeping me company today.  Iki is a good dog.  He has that constant "shiver" that chihuahua's seem to have, but he's very cute when he shivers.  And he always makes sure you know when he must go outside.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2005, 09:44:56 AM »

As for today's topic of the day:

Ditto

;)

-That's more of a self-protection ploy since I don't want to deal with what DR Ben is dealing with right now.

;D

...But I do love the music from the 60's.  Such a wide range of "popular" music during the era.  Maybe once the clouds in my head clear, I'll post some of my favorites.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2005, 09:46:17 AM »

The King Cousins CD is a Japanese import.

I must get out of here in a few minutes - I am REALLY getting the Evil Eye.

Jrand, if it's not letterboxed I don't know that you'll like The Cardinal, which depends on its widescreen images for its power.  I like it.  I think the DVD, which is faboo (widescreen, gorgeous stereo) is fairly inexpensive.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2005, 09:48:08 AM »

Here's one for you dRBEN -

Norman by Sue Thompson

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2005, 09:49:06 AM »

Thanks for the info MR BK - but my unemployment kept me from spending more than $2 for awhile.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2005, 09:51:12 AM »

DR MBarnum - Ah, 101 Strings!  My parents had a bunch of 101 Strings and Mantovani Strings records in their collection, single albums as well as the box sets.  The box sets always impressed me with their packaging.  Especially the ones with the top "flap".  I can still picture the woman on the cover of the 101 Strings "Look of Love" box.  It was basically an all black, glossy cover, but off to the side, in an oval window there was a picture of a woman's face, with some diaphanous fabric around her face.  And her very alluring, inviting eyes.

...And I always liked playing one of the versions of "Hey, Jude" since it played all the final choruses.  And in an instrumental version that got to be sort of humorous after the sixth or seventh chorus.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2005, 09:51:44 AM »

JRand, I'm going to get Joey to come over there and pelt you with snowballs!   ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2005, 09:54:56 AM »

DR BK - With all your new "toys" and such, I have one word for you:

Backup

Or two if you prefer:

Back Up

*I've had one too many friends lose years(!) and $$$ worth of iTunes and other tracks due to some random fluke or accidental push of a button.  -Not to mention the collective time put into getting all that music together.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2005, 09:58:08 AM »

Back up to WHERE?  I mean, I have it all on my iPod, isn't that being backed up?  The new thing I have to get used to is backing up to a memory stick or zip in terms of writing.  I'm going to try to do the memory stick, as it's easier - I'll be doing some tests later.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2005, 10:05:31 AM »

Is there a doctor in the house?  *Well, apparently there is now, but even he hasn't much experience directing a musical either.

Good Vibrations Pushes Back Opening Date to Feb. 2
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2005, 10:06:46 AM »

Ohhh.. that sounded sort of catty...

Ah, well...

<Meow>
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2005, 10:07:00 AM »

Along with the guy from BREAD, the drummer (I think he was) from JEFFERSON AIRPLANE passed away the other day...and actress Thelma White from the 1936 film REEFER MADNESS.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2005, 10:09:47 AM »

Back up to WHERE?  I mean, I have it all on my iPod, isn't that being backed up?  The new thing I have to get used to is backing up to a memory stick or zip in terms of writing.  I'm going to try to do the memory stick, as it's easier - I'll be doing some tests later.

Well, since it seems that most of your music has come from your hard copies, your own CDs, then it wouldn't be like losing a couple hundred dollars worth of iTunes downloads.  So..

Have you tried iTunes yet?  Don't you get some free downloads with the purchase of a new Mac and/or iPod?

*The few times I've browsed the iTunes listings, I've been very pleasantly surprised to find things that I never thought would be there.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2005, 10:11:58 AM »

LOL DRBEN thanks for the warning!

US Ice Skating Championship short programs tonight - 10:30 pm EST on ESPN2.

I will only say that Michael Weiss is in 5th place!

Men's Free Skate tomorrow on ABC in the afternoon, ladies in the evening!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2005, 10:15:22 AM »

And speaking of Good Vibrations, two other friends of mine saw it this past week.  And like DR Ben's opinion the show, they thought it needed work.  Lots of work.  In fact, one of them walked out the theatre angry after the show finished.  He just could not believe that so much money, time and talent was being wasted on such a "product" - he wouldn't even call it a show.  Ah, well...

Speaking of which... Is The Ten Commandments still running at the Kodak?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2005, 10:16:14 AM »

OMG DRJOSE, I was just about to ask the same question.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2005, 10:17:07 AM »

US Ice Skating Championship short programs tonight - 10:30 pm EST on ESPN2.

Men's Free Skate tomorrow on ABC in the afternoon, ladies in the evening!

Ooohh.. Michael Weiss.  He used to train just right up the road from here, and his family still runs a gym in Fairfax too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2005, 10:19:18 AM »

It's no longer listed on the Kodak Theatre's event schedule, so I guess it's gone.  We now have RUSSELL SIMMONS DEF POETRY JAM (ugh) and later FOOTLOOSE.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2005, 10:27:54 AM »

It's no longer listed on the Kodak Theatre's event schedule, so I guess it's gone.  We now have RUSSELL SIMMONS DEF POETRY JAM (ugh) and later FOOTLOOSE.

Ah, well...  They have a really strange season - at least from the ads placed in the 10Cs program book.  I believe BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS is coming in too, if it hasn't already.  And they're all non-union shows too.  I have nothing against non-union shows, but in that cavern of a space, it just makes it easier to see who's trying to screw the cast and crew over make the real money.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2005, 10:29:34 AM »

He should have retired in 2002 when Todd Eldridge won the Men's title after four years of not even competing at nationals.

He's been embarrassing to watch ever since.

On a side note:  Good Vibes to Angela Nikodinov, who is recuperating, along with her father, from injuries recently sustained in a car accident which killed her mother.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 10:36:20 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2005, 10:33:02 AM »

MBarnum:  The latest Percy Faith reissue with chorus is I Think I Love You, but make sure if you order you specifically tell them you want the corrected version--the first one had a wrong song on it in the bonus tracks.  I tend not to like the Chorus albums of Faith as much as the purely instrumental ones, but this has some nice tunes on it, including two tunes from Superstar and a very beautiful ballad called Don't Say Goodbye.

Re:  The Cardinal.  One summer when I was staying with my infamous Uncles in New York, my Uncle Pat took me to lunch with one of his tenants, Harrison Starr, who was one of the producers on that film (and Zabriskie Point, too, if I'm remembering our lunchtime conversation correctly).  Harrison was (is?  Is he still alive?) a very nice man whom I remember mostly for his incredibly long, flowing curly hair--kind of like a Jewish Afro.  He told me to keep writing because acting as a profession was the pits.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2005, 10:36:57 AM »

Thank you, DR RLP, for the WILL & GRACE summary. I really don't know who they've got writing the show now, but they took a potentially rewarding relationship between Will and Vince and turned it to crap, and for no purpose other than to make him as single as Grace once again. The dissolution of their relationship was handled about as badly as anything I've seen in TV writing since DYNASTY where folks broke up and made up faster than a speeding bullet.

Bobby Cannavale's doing a New York revival of HURLY BURLY, I believe.  He probably asked to be written out for a while.  Still, WILL & GRACE has struck me as pretty pathetic the entire season and most of last.  I think last night's may have been the nadir, ad perhaps the question they're working on is How Low Can We Go?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2005, 10:38:55 AM »

Thanks so much for mentioning "My Boy Lollipop"

I always thought that song sounded dirtier than "Louie Louie!"

How could I have forgotten all the Supremes and "Georgy Girl?"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up