Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GREAT SANDWICH  (Read 7057 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THE GREAT SANDWICH
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2018, 03:52:46 PM »

From FJL yesterday:
Meaning the original Broadway production of SLEUTH, of course. 

I gather the intermission crowd was very careful about spoilers when TCB starred in SLEUTH

As far as I know the intermission crowd has been pretty good.  However, the first time I did the play (1975) the drama critic said in the review, "Since I am sure that everyone already knows the secret of SLEUTH, I don't mind saying....."  We were not happy.

You would expect a drama critic to know better  >:(

Jane

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2018, 03:53:29 PM »

The story of the guy with the abandoned puppies is sweet.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2018, 04:07:10 PM »

I am sitting here like so much fish.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2018, 05:39:53 PM »

Fish....sitting.....is a funny mind picture.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2018, 05:40:40 PM »

Thanks, everyone.  I am fine....just a bit sore....I took one of my super duper pain pills left over from surgery....so even if I was in great pain, I wouldn't know it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2018, 05:41:23 PM »

Two hours of The Amazing Race tonight.....I am watching the Olympics until then since I don't want to watch Celebrity Big Brother.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2018, 05:41:42 PM »

Congrats to Skip on his show on Monday night - DR VIXMOM did say lovely things....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2018, 05:44:32 PM »

DR VIXMOM and close personal friend B D Wong at the Monday evening event....I think DR FJL referenced this photo earlier today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2018, 05:46:01 PM »

Everyone seems very happy in this particular photograph....I like the waiters' uniforms with suspenders.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2018, 05:47:12 PM »

The lady with the red scarf in the center of the picture looks familiar, but maybe she has that kind of face.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2018, 05:54:38 PM »

Gratuitous Post #100!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2018, 05:55:01 PM »

Fish....sitting.....is a funny mind picture.

Why, yes, it is!

:))
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2018, 05:55:37 PM »

DR VIXMOM and close personal friend B D Wong at the Monday evening event....I think DR FJL referenced this photo earlier today.

That's a great picture!

FJL

« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2018, 06:00:08 PM »

This was interesting to read today on All That Chat posted by Michael Portantiere, who co-wrote the coffee table book of "Forbidden Broadway."

re: People come, people go, people move chairs
Posted by: Michael_Portantiere 07:35 pm EST 02/14/18
When we were putting together our book on FORBIDDEN BROADWAY, Gerard Alessandrini told me this great line actually came from his mother in reaction to GRAND HOTEL when they saw it together.

I kind of wish I hadn't found this out, that what's considered by many who follow him to be one of the all-time greatest Forbidden Broadway lines was not actually written by Gerard Alessandrini.  In its own world as to a greatly gifted modern writer's output, it feels like finding out the Bard didn't write "To be or not to be" or "All the world's a stage..." 

Of course, in proportion to their relative places in theater history.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:07:33 PM by FJL »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2018, 06:21:43 PM »

Two burly construction workers I would have never thought were cat fosters came for Magnificat Cat Rescue to pick up the cans of food, some stainless steel dishes, litter, and dry food I was donating.  They were really great, and I appreciate their willingness to cart it all down the three flights.

And so the kitties and I are going to bed.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2018, 06:58:35 PM »

Thanks, everyone.  I am fine....just a bit sore....I took one of my super duper pain pills left over from surgery....so even if I was in great pain, I wouldn't know it.

Relaxing with pain pills tonight should help reduce the pain you feel tomorrow.

Vibes you are no more than a little sore.

Jane

« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2018, 07:00:00 PM »

Wonderful photos.  Thank you for posting them DR Jrand.

George

« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2018, 07:05:04 PM »

Well, it's time for me to leave work. 

Be back later...and I will, BK!

George

« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2018, 07:05:15 PM »

;)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2018, 08:10:57 PM »

Fred, how did the show at 54 Below go?

I was sick as a hacking, coughing dog on Monday, but I was there for the weeks of planning and rehearsals before Monday, so i knew it was going to be great.  vixmom was there and reported the other night; she took some photos, and my fave of her photos is a selfie she took of herself with BD Wong, a shot which feels so full of joy!

Saw that on Facebook. It was wonderful.

I hope you are feeling better.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2018, 08:11:26 PM »

Anybody giving up anything for Lent?

Yes.  I gave up posting at Haines His Way on the day before Lent*.

* It's for religious reasons.

Ha!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2018, 08:14:17 PM »

Watching the news from Florida......there are no words to say......at least I don't know them.....

:(

A horror.
― Voltaire

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2018, 08:14:47 PM »

Jane asked for an update after the gas company visit:

I HAVE A NEW THERMOSTAT!!! YAY!

Last week when I phoned the gas company the woman I spoke to told me that they don't replace thermostats, but they'd be happy to come out and diagnose the situation. She thought they might be able to replace some of the thermostat parts. She was incorrect; they DO replace thermostats, but cannot repair them, only replace. The technician checked out the heater, found nothing wrong, and said it's most likely the thermostat. I phoned the manager, told her he was here, that it most likely was indeed the thermostat, and said he could replace it for $90. Could we go ahead? After some hesitancy, she gave her permission.

As usual, the technician arrived in the 3-hour window, was very professional, and got the job done. I really don't trust the HVAC guy they use--he doesn't return my calls, shows up without the correct parts (or any parts) and is often a couple hours late. I'd much rather use the gas company. I wish I'd known they could do this; I could have saved myself a lot of grief. Next time I'll just schedule the visit and let the technician  tell me they don't do it--if indeed they don't.

And the silliest part is that this was really bugging me and it was solved for $90. I don't see the sense in alienating a good tenant for $90. I was ready to pay for it myself just to have it done. I don't think I'll have to do that now. When someone from the gas company says, "You need a new thermostat" he is believed. I'm not. So, best possible outcome.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2018, 08:15:45 PM »

Two burly construction workers I would have never thought were cat fosters came for Magnificat Cat Rescue to pick up the cans of food, some stainless steel dishes, litter, and dry food I was donating.  They were really great, and I appreciate their willingness to cart it all down the three flights.

And so the kitties and I are going to bed.

Glad it went well. Can you use this as a charitable deduction?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2018, 08:16:07 PM »

Quick-healing vibes to Jrand. Ouch!

John G.

« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2018, 08:16:50 PM »

This was interesting to read today on All That Chat posted by Michael Portantiere, who co-wrote the coffee table book of "Forbidden Broadway."

re: People come, people go, people move chairs
Posted by: Michael_Portantiere 07:35 pm EST 02/14/18
When we were putting together our book on FORBIDDEN BROADWAY, Gerard Alessandrini told me this great line actually came from his mother in reaction to GRAND HOTEL when they saw it together.

I kind of wish I hadn't found this out, that what's considered by many who follow him to be one of the all-time greatest Forbidden Broadway lines was not actually written by Gerard Alessandrini.  In its own world as to a greatly gifted modern writer's output, it feels like finding out the Bard didn't write "To be or not to be" or "All the world's a stage..." 

Of course, in proportion to their relative places in theater history.

I think one of the greatest lines in Forbidden Broadway history is when Mary Martin and Ethel Merman are announced, and Ethel comes out belching: "And now I'M going to do a duet!"

The other was Patti LuPone in Anything Goes: "Hanumsms fhsadffjk (something unintelligible), Billy!"
― Voltaire

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2018, 08:17:28 PM »

Fred, how did the show at 54 Below go?

I was sick as a hacking, coughing dog on Monday, but I was there for the weeks of planning and rehearsals before Monday, so i knew it was going to be great.  vixmom was there and reported the other night; she took some photos, and my fave of her photos is a selfie she took of herself with BD Wong, a shot which feels so full of joy!

Saw that on Facebook. It was wonderful.

Nice that we could see the photos here, too.

John G.

« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2018, 08:17:41 PM »

Jane asked for an update after the gas company visit:

I HAVE A NEW THERMOSTAT!!! YAY!

Last week when I phoned the gas company the woman I spoke to told me that they don't replace thermostats, but they'd be happy to come out and diagnose the situation. She thought they might be able to replace some of the thermostat parts. She was incorrect; they DO replace thermostats, but cannot repair them, only replace. The technician checked out the heater, found nothing wrong, and said it's most likely the thermostat. I phoned the manager, told her he was here, that it most likely was indeed the thermostat, and said he could replace it for $90. Could we go ahead? After some hesitancy, she gave her permission.

As usual, the technician arrived in the 3-hour window, was very professional, and got the job done. I really don't trust the HVAC guy they use--he doesn't return my calls, shows up without the correct parts (or any parts) and is often a couple hours late. I'd much rather use the gas company. I wish I'd known they could do this; I could have saved myself a lot of grief. Next time I'll just schedule the visit and let the technician  tell me they don't do it--if indeed they don't.

And the silliest part is that this was really bugging me and it was solved for $90. I don't see the sense in alienating a good tenant for $90. I was ready to pay for it myself just to have it done. I don't think I'll have to do that now. When someone from the gas company says, "You need a new thermostat" he is believed. I'm not. So, best possible outcome.

That is good news.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2018, 08:18:29 PM »

Now will someone tell me why when I work for a company that supposedly has great health insurance, my health insurance didn't pay close to 40% of my doctor's bill for the recent surgery?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2018, 08:20:14 PM »

I have to call my insurance company about that. But i haven't got time lately. And tomorrow is looking extremely busy again.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up