Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BLYTHE DANNER'S HAIR  (Read 43097 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:BLYTHE DANNER'S HAIR
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2005, 01:20:20 AM »

And one for Mahler!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2005, 01:20:43 AM »

All right, now I'm REALLY getting ready to toddle off to bed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2005, 01:21:09 AM »

But first... Meringue!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2005, 01:22:37 AM »

You know what other unsung film composer I love?  Dave Grusin, especially Mulholland Falls, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, and Three Days of the Condor.

Who are your favorite unsung movie composers?

George

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2005, 01:22:41 AM »

I was up since 6:15 a.m. Tuesday morning and had to go to Seattle for a work meeting that I was not really part of.  I was just the navigator.  So, I do not claim the name "Wussburger" tonight. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2005, 01:24:40 AM »

Who are your favorite unsung movie composers?

I am definitely going to have to think about this...all night long (a Lionel Ritchie reference!).  But since I'll be asleep all night long, I might not get much thinking done.  We'll see.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2005, 01:27:57 AM »

I guess I'm just not in a toddling mood right now.  Other favorite unsung movie composers: Hugo Friedhofer (especially The Best Years of Our Lives), John Scott, Richard Rodney Bennett.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2005, 01:30:00 AM »

We'll stay all night and we'll sing 'em all.

And Laurence Rosenthal for his trio of masterpieces: A Raisin in the Sun, Requiem for a Heavyweight, and The Miracle Worker.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2005, 01:31:31 AM »

Less than four hundred postings until we achieve our new plateau.

Tomovoz

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2005, 01:43:38 AM »

David Grusin's "Millagro Bean Field War"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2005, 02:45:59 AM »

Hello DR HISAKA!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2005, 02:55:35 AM »

Well of course Ms BLythe Danner's hair is being most recently done by Shari Perry - key hair stylist on HUFF (Hair Dept Head Voni Hinkle).   Does one put Head Hair on one's business card.

And just to show how smart and informed you are, MR BK, you can inform the writer of the email that the hair of Miss Allison Hayes in the 1958 Canadian-American film WOLF DOG was done by Mrs. Mabel Douglas in her beauty shop in the back of her husband's Shell gas station on location in Markdale, Ontario, Canada, in August, 1957!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2005, 02:57:36 AM »

My question for ASK BK day - what songs have you yourself BK used at an audition?  Which was the best choice, and the worst?

Also what is the best dance audition you ever had?  What show, what song, what choreographer?

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2005, 03:12:20 AM »

If I come visit Japan this year, will you show me all the hot spots?  

Will be pleased to take you wherever you like! Are you interested in KABUKI?

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2005, 03:14:10 AM »

I thank all for your welcome messages.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2005, 03:28:50 AM »

...Does one put Head Hair on one's business card.
You'd rather one put Heir Head on said business card?  

(Edited for spelling!)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 03:35:29 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2005, 03:31:24 AM »

LOL....no I suppose not!

Heir Port might be better.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2005, 03:34:35 AM »

A question for all DRs, although I look forward to BK's answer in particular:

What non-fiction book about the theater or film have you most enjoyed, and/or would you most recommend to someone?

(And thank-you, DR Charles Pogue, for mentioning Adventures in the Screen Trade in yesterday's posts, the trigger for this question.  I remember reading the book, and I know we have it...somewhere.  I'm going to have to root around to find it again.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2005, 03:40:05 AM »

It's just barely six-forty in the morning here, and I'm already starting to ponder what to about dinner tonight.  I've a pair of goose breasts, a pair of beef steaks, and a pair of pork loin chops thawing, but I haven't come to any decisions.  But I think I'd like to save the steaks for a day or two, since we had hamburger Stroganoff last night.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2005, 03:43:05 AM »

Hmmm...maybe she could be persuaded to lend her name to a bottle or two.  Blythe Danner Tawney Hair Port!  A nice, throaty after-dinner beverage, I would say.  (This would follow a dinner where Marilyn Merlot was served, of course.)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2005, 03:51:34 AM »

A few days ago, I reread “Harpo speaks…about New York”, as the other day’s Topic of discussion -Funny People- reminded me that book, and I found an interesting coincidence in it. It’s that Harpo’s real mother’s name is same as Benjamin Kritzer’s mother’s name, MINNIE. It’s interesting, isn’t it?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2005, 04:45:57 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up!  I'm up!  And no snooze button either!  -Actually, I was up before my alarm ever went off.  Well, the radio went off - which actually means turned "on" not "off"... - and thanks to call of nature... and the big glass of water I had last night before going to bed...

TMI?  ;D

So...

For Ask BK Day:

Is there a particular piece of furniture that is very near and dear to you for any particular reason?  Is there a piece of furniture that you miss from your childhood?

On the flip-side - Is there a piece of furniture that you really wish you could get rid of right now but just can't for various and sundried reasons?  And was there a piece of furniture that you grew up with but wish you hadn't?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2005, 04:48:04 AM »

What am I, Charlton Heston all of a sudden?  This is what happens when you're not tired and the world is filled with WUSSBURGERS and that includes YOU Mr. Jose Simbulan.

Umm....  Was I lurking in my sleep or something?

Or something?

???
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2005, 04:49:07 AM »

A question for all DRs, although I look forward to BK's answer in particular:

What non-fiction book about the theater or film have you most enjoyed, and/or would you most recommend to someone?

Good morning, all!  I have to work quite hard today to finish the chart for the session on Monday.  I've promied the conductor the copyists will have it tomorrow, and I've got about 23 pages of scoring to do, once I finish the arranging.

DRSWW, my all-time favorite theatre books are these:
  A THEATRE DIVIDED by Martin Gottfried
  THE SEASON by William Goldman
Musical Theatre:
  ORCHESTRATION FOR THE THEATRE by Francis Collinson
  BETTER FOOT FORWARD by Ethan Mordden before he crowned himself
  NOT SINCE CARRIE by Ken Mandelbaum
  SONDHEIM AND CO. by Craig Zadan
Biography
  ACT ONE by Moss Hart
  GYPSY by Gypsy Rose Lee
  DANCE TO THE PIPER by Agnes DeMille

Of film books, I've read little in recent times.  I liked the book on the making of the film "Nashville," but I found the last book on "All About Eve" marred because the author may know about movies but he knew next to nothing about the New York commercial theatre of the late 40s and early 50s, much less "grand" acting like that of Katherine Cornell, Gertrude Lawrence and others.  I liked David Skal's book on horror films and his book on Dracula from original novel to present.  I laughed myself silly at Dennis Hensley's SCREENING PARTY and its caistic look at some sacred and not-so-sacred cows.

And so, to work.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2005, 04:54:42 AM »

As for my furniture choices:

My favorite current piece:  My bed (mattress and frame) that I bought from IKEA two summers ago.  It's the only major piece of furniture I've bought, and, consequently own.

My least favorite current piece:  Well... Since the bed is the only thing I've ever bought besides some bookcases, etc...  However, some of my roommate's furniture is just downright ugly...  And we both know it!  ;)

Favorite family piece: The first sleep sofa my parents bought.  It was just soooo neat.  And for a treat sometimes, we were allowed to pull out the bed on the weekends and have a sort sleepover in our own living room.

Least favorite family piece:  My mom used to have this humongous armoire.  It was in a faux-Oriental style.  Emphasis on "faux".  Thankfully, in the last move she finally ditched it... After about 25 years!

-On a related note:  I finally realized/learned a few weeks ago that my parents gave away "my" piano at home, the Chickering upright they bought for me when I was nine years old and just starting lessons.  Yes, it had been sitting in the garage for the past couple of years, but still...  At least it's being played right now.  I hope.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2005, 04:56:37 AM »

As for non-fiction books... Hmmm..  It's been a while.  Maybe too long at this point.  I guess there's a been a biography here and there, but no exact title comes to mind right now.

...Something to think about on the drive back up to Fairfax...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2005, 04:57:56 AM »

...And speaking of driving back up to Fairfax...

It's just about 8:00am here, and I better get my stuff packed up and start that drive...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2005, 05:13:27 AM »

I recently read these three theatre-related books:

Moss Hart's ACT ONE: AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY is surely the best theatre book - and one of the best autobiographies - I've ever read.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the meticulously researched (though not cluttered with footnotes) DAZZLER: THE LIVES AND TIMES OF MOSS HART, by Steven Bach.

GEORGE S. KAUFMAN: AN INTIMATE PORTRAIT, by Howard Teichmann, is not, IMHO, in the same league as the other two books, but it continued to provide a thoughtful and fascinating look at a remarkable era in the American theatre. And what a contrast it offered to the Kaufman seen through Moss Hart's eyes!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 05:14:36 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Michael

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2005, 05:18:57 AM »

Actually Ms. Blythe Danner is bald and she wears wigs from the Eva Gabor Collection.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2005, 05:19:36 AM »

Re furniture:

My favorite piece ever has been my Grandfather's bed, which I inherited after he died back when I was in Junior High.  Only the head- and footboards are in use these days, the headboard coming between my bed and the window (handy on chilly nights), and the footboard as a decorative element in my room.  (The sideboards are in the basement, unusable right now.)

I've also inherited the diningroom table and chairs that I grew up with.  One of the chairs is now in the livingroom here in Delaware, the table itself supporting all sorts of goodies down in the basement.  For years, it was the computer table in Long Beach.

Least favorite piece of furniture was a shelving unit my Dad built for my sister.  A very awkward piece, the shelves never quite fit, and the unit was long and low, totally useless.  The best I can say about it was that it was blonde (try to hear Menzel's inflection of the word from the recording of Wicked when reading that adjective).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up