Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BLYTHE DANNER'S HAIR  (Read 43241 times)

Michael

Re:BLYTHE DANNER'S HAIR
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2005, 05:20:54 AM »

#1 Question for all:

There is a program available called FINAL BID that helps you win ebay auctions. Does anyone use it (Or a similar program) or know someone who uses it? Does it work?
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2005, 05:23:34 AM »

What non-fiction book about the theater or film have you most enjoyed, and/or would you most recommend to someone?

The Night and the Music:  Rosemary Clooney, Barbara Cook, and Julie Wilson Inside the World of Cabaret, by Deborah Grace Winer
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2005, 05:25:01 AM »

Question for BK:

When you evaluate a new musical at the ASCAP Workshops are the guidelines or questions they give you to help critique the works?

Can it be adapted for a play? (I am looking for a set a questions that I can give to the audience to answer at my play reading in April.)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2005, 05:26:59 AM »

A BLYTHE DANNER PAGE 3 DANCE

Never stop dreaming.

Cillaliz

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2005, 05:28:31 AM »

Hmmm...maybe she could be persuaded to lend her name to a bottle or two.  Blythe Danner Tawney Hair Port!  A nice, throaty after-dinner beverage, I would say.  (This would follow a dinner where Marilyn Merlot was served, of course.)

Or you could get fly away hair at the Blythe Danner International hair port. Oh that's bad, I better get dressed and go to work....

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2005, 05:55:31 AM »

I happen to adore Blythe Danner's hair, and the environs below said head of hair.  

I've just been googling images of her, and I came upon this:

Not completely convinced if it is really her or not--so young!

Many years ago, A&E broadcasted Danner in what must have been a very early 70's taping of Invitation to a March.  I'm pretty sure I have that on tape somewhere.  If not, I'll have to check to see if BroadwayArchives.com has it in print.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2005, 05:58:37 AM »

Question for BK and all:  What are some of your favorite theatre posters?  Do you own a particular favorite?  What is something that you would love to own and display?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2005, 06:09:24 AM »

Favorite Furniture growing up..my grandmothers rocking chair...my Mom said it had been there as long as SHE could remember and I loved sitting and rocking in it.  It was a little lower and a little wider than your typical rocking chiar and was made of solid maple.  When my grandmother died (she had oved to Texas to be near my Uncle, we were all still here on Long Island) we were shocked to find the rocking chair missing from the apartment.  Apparently about  a month before she died she gave it to the Good Will... I dearly wish I could have that rocking chair now.

I can't think of any hated furniture off hand....
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2005, 06:11:30 AM »

My ask BK day question, saved since last week.... I heard a story on NPR last Thursday about the steps various theatres are taking to try and stop the ringing cellphones during performances.

Does anyone have a story about a cellphone (yours or someone else's) ringing at an inappropriate moment?

vixmom

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2005, 06:15:08 AM »

Funny, everyone mentioning "ACT ONE" by Moss Hart, I haven't re-read that in years, but when I was making room for Writer's Block in my bookshelf, Act One tumbled down and nearly hit me in the head, so I took it as a "sign " and put it by the bed to read again..of course DH said it was "a sign that the bloody bookcase is too bloody full", but then he is obviously not as spiritual and as in touch with the cosmos as am I.... ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 06:16:14 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2005, 06:17:33 AM »

« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 06:29:41 AM by vixmom »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2005, 06:19:06 AM »

I happen to adore Blythe Danner's hair, and the environs below said head of hair.  

Not completely convinced if it is really her or not--so young!
Looking at the posters behind her, I'd say that yes, she was that young when the pic was taken.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2005, 06:19:11 AM »

A question for all DRs, although I look forward to BK's answer in particular:

What non-fiction book about the theater or film have you most enjoyed, and/or would you most recommend to someone?

I think after all these years my favorite behind-the-scenes book still is The Making of No, No, Nanette by Don Dunn.  Who would have thought that the reviving of such a harmless little musical from the 20s would have scarred so many lives?
-- Anaïs Nin

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2005, 06:24:23 AM »

Does anyone have a story about a cellphone (yours or someone else's) ringing at an inappropriate moment?

Yes!! I was in Hawaii about 2 years ago - teaching singing at the college in Kahalui, Maui... I took a friend to the ballet one evening. An excerpts concert. Of course it was a slow, breathtaking adagio moment when my cellfone started playing that hideous Eine Kleine Nachtmusik riff. (I was new to cellfones at the time...) I tried to smother the sucker under my sweater... finally it stopped. About a minute later, I beeped that still-more hideous DAH-DAH-DAH-dit-dit-dit-DAH-DAH-DAH to let me know whoever had called had left a message. OY!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2005, 06:30:18 AM »

Well, kidz... aunt Penny's show opens 8 weeks from tonight. Feels like Time is hurtling past me. Still need a sublet...

I am presenting a piece at the BMI workshop on Monday - from my Fractured Figaro. Quintet from the end of Act II (in my show it's end of Act I). Finally got all five singers... then, yesterday, the "Drunk Gardener" pulled out. Seems a film producer wants to meet with him that day about writing the musical score for a coming movie. The nerve!!!

Any DR's who read music and sing baritone wanna help me out??? Fun scene. Short run-thru late Sunday afternoon, gig Monday around 5-ish? (I'm 6th on the list). Maury Yeston is the teacher...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2005, 06:32:06 AM »

Oh, AND!!!

My web site for the show is up, and it's GAWJUS!! Take a look: www.jewishthighs.com
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2005, 06:32:49 AM »

It's 12 degrees here...
PennyO

Ben

« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2005, 06:35:39 AM »

Hey, Penny, looks good although the proofreader in me noticed this

diets from Helland a Rogues' Gallery. I think you mean diets from hell and a Rogues' Gallery, unless Helland is a new diet guru  ;)

vixmom

« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2005, 06:37:40 AM »

Oh, Penny before I forget, I spoke with Bill Orr last night, turns out he's been E & T because his computer is down, he and his DP and my DH & I would like to jpoin the HHW party as it were on the 19th, should we buy our tickets trhough the website or were you reserving a "block" for attending Hainsies and Kimlets?

vixmom

« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2005, 06:41:03 AM »

Hey, Penny, looks good although the proofreader in me noticed this

diets from Helland a Rogues' Gallery. I think you mean diets from hell and a Rogues' Gallery, unless Helland is a new diet guru  

And the proofreader in me noticed

"confulsed iwth laughter"

but yes, it is Gawjus!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 06:41:45 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2005, 06:43:01 AM »

#1 Question for all:

There is a program available called FINAL BID that helps you win ebay auctions. Does anyone use it (Or a similar program) or know someone who uses it? Does it work?

Never heard of it, but I would like to hear more.  I have dial up at home and its so darn slow I get outbid at the last second on stuff while my screen is refreshing

vixmom

« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2005, 06:43:36 AM »

It's 12 degrees here...

and snowing...........

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2005, 06:44:08 AM »

Not completely convinced if it is really her or not--so you

Many years ago, A&E broadcasted Danner in what must have been a very early 70's taping of Invitation to a March.  I'm pretty sure I have that on tape somewhere.  If not, I'll have to check to see if BroadwayArchives.com has it in print.

DRDTM, it is Blythe Danner; she's standing beside the poster for BUTTERFLIES ARE FREE, which was her first big break.  Goldie Hawn played the role in the film.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2005, 07:06:09 AM »

RE: GOLDEN BOY question last night.

It's a well made film with outstanding performances, but naturally the ending of the oroginal play (where Joe dies) was not used, a more upbeat ending substituted. And the film, if judging by the print I saw on TCM a month or two ago, is in terrible shape.

The Broadway version is actually much truer to Odets' original play than the film.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 07:07:03 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2005, 07:09:30 AM »

DR Jose,
I forgot to answer your question regarding the Indian filmmaker in the U.S....he didn't come across to me the way that he did to you when he was sort of imitating his countrymen...when they talk in English, many times that is really how they sound! LOL! Especially when they talk English in the Bollywood movies.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2005, 07:11:05 AM »

Piece of furniture I loved and mourn - I had a rocking chair - nothing special in terms of furniture - just an ordinary rocking chair painted white that I bought in Toronto. I had put some sweet decals on it to make it look like a baby rocking chair. And this was the very chair where I would rock my little baby (now 21) to sleep, feed her late at night and sit with her and rock her while listening to soft music as the rest of the world slept.  Over the years, I've lugged this chair with me through many, many  moves all over the fershluganah place. Always meant to give it to DD so she could eventually (a LONG time from now) rock HER baby in it. When I moved back to LA last year, there was no room for it inside the guest house where I was staying. So I put it out back in the little porch area. Stupid decision! By the time I moved to my present home environment, after a year outside, the chair was falling apart. Could not be fixed. Sigh... I'm really not attached to "things" -- but this really upset me. And it was totally my fault. Oh well.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 07:17:23 AM by Panni »

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2005, 07:15:13 AM »

As for furniture: My favorite piece of furniture is a lamp I have in the living room. It is from the 1950s and very space age looking...like a satellite or rocket or something. I could never part with it.

One piece of furniture I wish I still had is a coffee table that my mom made back in the 1960s. It was one of those things made with some sort of liquid plastacine and cool looking rocks...I can still remember the odor when she was making it. I have the end table still, but one of my brothers ended up with the coffee table years ago...we have no idea whatever became of it.

In the mid 1990s I had a lovely green 1950s studio couch which I REALLY wish I still had! It just reaked of the 50s and the back would fold down and you could sleep on it like a bed.

I hate the bed that I have...it looks like it came out of a a hospital circa the 1920s. One of those big iron things.

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2005, 07:20:03 AM »

Last night CHarles Pogue wrote:

"The fact that De Niro's  extreme weight gain/ loss had to be supervised by a doctor shows the potential risk to health and physical well-being."

But the fact that a doctor was supervising under the safest conditions possible and over a period of months to assure the integrity of the film and De Niro's performance shows an admirable bow to safety AND art and that gives the film an added luster in my mind. Understanding De Niro's total commitment to playing a real person (who was alive and ready to criticize if things weren't done right) was in my mind not an act of ego or self-indulgence but merely a desire to get it right.

"I won't debate whether Olivier's remark was catty or not, but refer you to Bill Goldman's book ADVENTURES IN THE SCREEN TRADE and his story about Hoffman making Olivier improvise, not only improvise but walk around to do so when the man was obviously ill.  I think Hoffman's a fine actor...but I think some of this stuff is just star ego bullshit.  While you're at it, read the story about Hoffman and the flashlight in Goldman's book."

I read it; I've had that book for many years. I agree it was absurd. Don't put me in a position to defend Dustin Hoffman who I think is the least appealing actor of his generation despite some good work. He, almost alone among the actors of his generation, seems overly egotistical and puffed up by his own self-importance. I am not really a fan.

You've changed the argument. We were talking merely about Olivier's comment. I stand by my position that an actor has to do what an actor has to do to prepare himself for work. Hoffman's insistance on Olivier trying his method was as unreasonable as Olivier's suggestion that Hoffman merely "act."

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2005, 08:08:55 AM »

DR Sandra is going to have something to say about her favorite furniture when she gets home from school. She got my mom's beautiful stuff, and we are storing it for her in our very small house. It is quite crowded in here.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2005, 08:17:04 AM »

I saw Blythe Danner's hair in the FOLLIES revival, too, and I found it got in the way of her performance. I'm SERIOUS!

For those that saw it, she had a lovely soft but full and fluffy bob in the show, and there was obviously not enough hair spray on it because she CONSTANTLY kept fluffing her hair back with her left hand. It became very distracting after awhile. I first thought it was just something she was doing for her character, but then when she started playing Will's mother on WILL & GRACE, I noticed she did it there, too.

In recent years, she's permed her hair so it has enough stiffness that she's not constantly having to blush it out of her left cheek all the time. I really prefer the soft hair, but if that means she's going to have to brush it away every ten seconds, then keep it permed, dear Blythe.

I must also add that I think she's a marvelous actress and was one of the strengths of that underwhelming FOLLIES revival.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up