Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BLYTHE DANNER'S HAIR  (Read 43286 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:BLYTHE DANNER'S HAIR
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2005, 08:19:58 AM »

One other Blythe Danner comment:

Her performance in ECCENTRICITIES OF A NIGHTINGALE is one of the GREAT television performances of all time. I remember it to this day (haven't bought it on DVD though I know it was available; may be out of print now) and still prefer this verion to SUMMER AND SMOKE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2005, 08:31:54 AM »

Also love THE SEASON by William Goldman and SONDHEIM & CO. by Craig Zadan.

Stanley Green's THE WORLD OF MUSICAL COMEDY was the first theater book that I read cover to cover and then over and over again. The discographys in the back of the first and second editions of the book were absolutely invaluable for me as a kid learning to love Broadway and trying to get my hands on all the show recordings I could. Later editions of the book edited his comments on some of the older, out of print recordings, but I still have the older versions and wouldn't part with them for anything.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2005, 08:41:45 AM »

Also love...SONDHEIM & CO. by Craig Zadan.
Which edition, first or second?   ;D

My copy of the first edition disappeared ages ago, but the second, with it's updates, showed that a book like this could be improved upon.

Sondheim on Music: Minor Details and Major Decisions by Mark Eden Horowitz was a difficult book because of the tech on composing, but well worth the effort (imo) as one of the best windows into how the man works.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2005, 08:55:44 AM »

Which edition, first or second?   ;D

My copy of the first edition disappeared ages ago, but the second, with it's updates, showed that a book like this could be improved upon.

I'm not a fan of the update of Sondheim & Co.  It seemed to me that the latter chapters that covered SS's newer shows were on the shallow side and lacking in interesting anecdotes.  I don't think that it was so much as the writing skills of the author--I just think that people were less willing to gossip.

But I do like the early parts of the book which comprised to original edition.  Sondheim & Co, coupled with Hal Prince's Contridictions (along with last year's Everything Was Possible) do cover that era of Sondheim's career quite nicely.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2005, 09:00:18 AM »

One other Blythe Danner comment:

Her performance in ECCENTRICITIES OF A NIGHTINGALE is one of the GREAT television performances of all time. I remember it to this day (haven't bought it on DVD though I know it was available; may be out of print now) and still prefer this verion to SUMMER AND SMOKE.

I don't believe that I ever saw Eccentricities.  BroadwayArchive.com does not carry Invitation to a March, but it does have Eccentricities.  Putting my order through this afternoon (along with Prideaux's Lemonade, another oddity I sort of remember liking.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2005, 09:02:05 AM »

ACT ONE is my favorite show business biographical tomes. One of my favorite books, period. I used to have quite a large collection (large for me, that is) of theatrical bios, but donated or sold most of them in the last couple of moves.

Panni

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2005, 09:03:22 AM »

Also love THE SEASON by William Goldman

Ditto.

Jennifer

« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2005, 09:11:08 AM »

Hey DR MBarnum did you watch TAR last night?

Don't read below if you didn't.

So what did you guys think of last night's show?  It was a good one!

I will say this: Is that how Victoria has always been acting? Last night she was crazier than her husband!

Jennifer

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2005, 09:12:52 AM »

DR Panni, just curious, which show did you go to the taping of yesterday?

Panni

« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2005, 09:13:57 AM »

I used to really enjoy reading epistolary books (if there's such a term) and journals...
Some which come to mind are THE GROUCHO LETTERS; MEMO FROM: DAVID O SELZNICK; William Redfield's LETTERS FROM AN ACTOR; The Noel Coward Diaries, etc. More later. I must walk and write (not at the same time).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2005, 09:18:38 AM »

My question for ASK BK day - what songs have you yourself BK used at an audition?  Which was the best choice, and the worst?

Also what is the best dance audition you ever had?  What show, what song, what choreographer?

I don't know that I've sung at many auditions - I've used Nothing Can Stop Me Now, I remember.  And a song or two of my own.  The worst, stupidest choice?  That's easy.  I auditioned for Tommy Tune (it must have been for Day in Hollywood) and I decided to be clever and sing Another Hundred People.  The pianist couldn't play it and I couldn't sing it.  Tommy was very nice.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2005, 09:21:34 AM »

A question for all DRs, although I look forward to BK's answer in particular:

What non-fiction book about the theater or film have you most enjoyed, and/or would you most recommend to someone?

(And thank-you, DR Charles Pogue, for mentioning Adventures in the Screen Trade in yesterday's posts, the trigger for this question.  I remember reading the book, and I know we have it...somewhere.  I'm going to have to root around to find it again.)

My favorite non-fiction book about theater remains The Season by William Goldman.  It's brilliant.  Ditto this Adventures in the Screen Trade, although there are many film books I like.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2005, 09:24:32 AM »

So...

For Ask BK Day:

Is there a particular piece of furniture that is very near and dear to you for any particular reason?  Is there a piece of furniture that you miss from your childhood?

On the flip-side - Is there a piece of furniture that you really wish you could get rid of right now but just can't for various and sundried reasons?  And was there a piece of furniture that you grew up with but wish you hadn't?

I can't think of any furniture that's so dear to me I'd miss it if it weren't here.  I have a really nice little table by the front door, and all the furniture here is nice, but it's just, well, furniture.  Those who've read the Kritzer books know that there is probably no furniture from my childhood that I miss.  Maybe my grandfather's ancient radio, which I was mesmerized by.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2005, 09:26:34 AM »

#1 Question for all:

There is a program available called FINAL BID that helps you win ebay auctions. Does anyone use it (Or a similar program) or know someone who uses it? Does it work?

I use esnipe.  It always works, but whether you win or not is dependent on your bid amount.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2005, 09:33:26 AM »

Question for BK:

When you evaluate a new musical at the ASCAP Workshops are the guidelines or questions they give you to help critique the works?

Can it be adapted for a play? (I am looking for a set a questions that I can give to the audience to answer at my play reading in April.)

No, there aren't really any guidelines, we just say what we feel.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2005, 09:35:54 AM »

Question for BK and all:  What are some of your favorite theatre posters?  Do you own a particular favorite?  What is something that you would love to own and display?

Like everyone, I love Byrd's Follies poster.  I had him design several Bay Cities covers, for which I own his original art.  I love the Li'l Abner poster, and have one that's duotone with no credits - I'd love to have the full color original with all the credits - it went on eBay about six months ago - for 1200 bucks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2005, 09:38:20 AM »

My ask BK day question, saved since last week.... I heard a story on NPR last Thursday about the steps various theatres are taking to try and stop the ringing cellphones during performances.

Does anyone have a story about a cellphone (yours or someone else's) ringing at an inappropriate moment?

Cell phones, by their nature, always ring at inappropriate moments.  I actually haven't heard that many, but the other night at Million Dollar Baby, someone's went off and it had one of those totally obnoxious designer rings with a voice - and it just kept ringing and ringing and I'm sure we were all getting ready to kill the person when we heard, "Oh, is that me?"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2005, 09:40:02 AM »

Looking at the posters behind her, I'd say that yes, she was that young when the pic was taken.

If you look at the partial poster to her left, it's Butterflies are Free, which she was starring in at the time that photo was taken.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2005, 09:43:14 AM »

Not to continue the Olivier catty debate much further...but I do believe another performer has the right to expect his fellow performer come to work prepared, fresh and focused to work.  If one has deliberately stayed up all night and is sleep-deprived through choice which can more than likely lead to a diminishment of awareness and clear-headed thinking, I don't find that very disciplined or considerate of one's fellow actors.  You could have an actor as slow and as muddled and unclear as a performer showing up drunk or drugged.  If you haven't had sleep, your reaction time is impaired as well as the clarity of your thinking and focus.  You're not at your best for the day's work ahead.

Favourite piece of furniture:  The mission-style couch in my office.  It was my grandmother's.  It's very long.  I've taken some great naps on that couch.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2005, 09:43:49 AM »

Sorry, I didn't see that elmore had pointed this out already, as I answer the questions in order.

I also love James Kirkwood's Diary of a Mad Playwright.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2005, 09:47:00 AM »

Another vote for THE SEASON by William Goldman.  I read it when I was a teenager - and it made me feel like an Broadway insider and smarter than anyone else about the stage!

Also like DAZZLER, EVERYTHING WAS POSSIBLE, and REAL LIFE DRAMA by Wendy Smith a "history" of the Group Theatre.  UNCLE MAME, COLE PORTER by William McBrien, ORIGINAL STORY by Arthur Laurents, and ANGELS & DEMONS by Ray Stricklyn.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2005, 09:50:27 AM »

Ah DRCP - former DR The Evil Kurt has a Mission Style couch.  I had never seen one and it is a lovely style of furniture.

My favorite piece of furniture was a big combination television/radio/stereo that had great sound.  The downside being that I couldn't play records when anyone wanted to watch television!  But the sound was great!  Eventually one of the speakers went out or something - some of the solos on THE SOUND OF MUSIC soundtrack were missing, so I knew we were missing music from other stereo records.....so it became a thing of the past.....sigh!

I love the new technology, but there was something comforting and exciting about music - opera or movies or cast albums - coming out of a BIG piece of furniture in the LIVING ROOM!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2005, 10:02:23 AM »

Looked like this!  ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2005, 10:04:41 AM »

Nice TV console.  It's another lovely day today - blue skies forever.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2005, 10:15:45 AM »

Stanley Green's THE WORLD OF MUSICAL COMEDY was the first theater book that I read cover to cover and then over and over again. The discographys in the back of the first and second editions of the book were absolutely invaluable for me as a kid learning to love Broadway and trying to get my hands on all the show recordings I could. Later editions of the book edited his comments on some of the older, out of print recordings, but I still have the older versions and wouldn't part with them for anything.

I thought about mentioning Stanley's book because I dearly loved him, and I miss him quite a bit.  He was full of good humor, had seen everything since 1935, and he had great memories and stories  about all of it.  When I finished the JUBILEE restoration in 1986, I gave my copy of the Broadway script to him; JUBILEE in 1935 was his first musical.  I, too, loved his book, and I looked forward to the later editions to see him comments on later recordings and the newest shows.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2005, 10:16:34 AM »

Non-fiction film books I recommend:  ADVENTURES IN THE SCREEN TRADE by Goldman.  He gives an accurate picture of the business and its foibles without bile or an axe to grind.

WARNER BROS. PRESENTS...historian (and pal) Rudy Behlmer does the same thing he did with his other great film book MEMO.  He ransacks the files of Warner Brothers from about 1934 to about 1949 and selects a series of memoes and letters about some of the most famous Warner's films.

Theatre books I recommend:

THE SEASON by William Goldman

LETTERS FROM AN ACTOR by William Redfield; one of the best books about theatre and the genesis of a production around.

NOT SINCE CARRIE by Ken Mandlebaum

BROADWAY BABIES SAY GOODNIGHT by Mark Steyn

THEN CAME EACH ACTOR by Bernard Grebanier, wonderful book about Shakespearian acting.  The author is often very opinionated about certain actors and performances and I often disagree with him, but it's still a swell book (and if I went back and re-read it, I might even agree with him more today)

GOODNIGHT, SWEET PRINCE by Gene Fowler; bio of John Barrymore.

JOHN GIELGUD: A LIFE IN LETTERS...You get a broad swath of 20th century theatre through Gielgud's letters.

GREAT ACTING, edited by Hal Burton..detailed interviews with some of the greatest actors of our day...Olivier, Gielgud, Richardson, Redgrave, Coward, Edith Evans, Peggy Ashcroft, Sybil Thorndike.

SHOPTALK, by Dennis Brown...conversations about theatre and film with various writers and one producer, Merrick.

PETER HALL'S DIARIES...about the beginnings of the National Theatre.

PETER HALL DIRECTS ANTONY & CLEOPATRA...a behind-the-scenes look at a National production starring Anthony Hopkins and Judi Dench in the lead roles.

TRUE & FALSE by David Mamet...Heresy and Common Sense for the Actor.  I usually don't care for acting books.  But I like Mamet's no-nonsense style and his quaint notion that the actor might just be the servant to the text of the playwright.

FAT CHANCE by Simon Gray...account of Gray's play CELL MATES and the now-famous episode of Stephen Fry going AWOL after it opened.

One of my long-time mentors and friends died last week in Mexico where he was living...Dick Vath.  Dick kept me working in dinner theatre through much of the seventies.  He also worked with a passel of stars and celebrities (it was through Dick, I met June Wilkinson; and Rudy Behlmer and Bob Osborne and Charlie Pierce, all classmates of his at the Pasadena Playhouse).  From the fifties up through the seventies, Dick pretty much knew everybody and everyone in show biz.  He was also one of the last great raconteurs.  He recently self-published a book, entitled:  WHAT?  AND QUIT SHOW BIZ?, full of stories from his career as an actor and director and his encounters with the great, near-great, and the awful.  In fact, I was present at many of the stories he recounts with some of these folks.  So I'm plugging Dick's book.  Look for it at We-Publish.com.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 10:19:39 AM by Charles Pogue »

Charles Pogue

« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2005, 10:23:58 AM »

I agree with all about ECCENTRICITIES OF A NIGHTINGALE.  It's a grand production all-round.  And it is, indeed, out in the Broadway Archive series. I've bought it.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2005, 10:35:41 AM »

I just got out of my history class. Most of my classmates are the teacher's "regulars." All of them, as a group, get together and take classes from this teacher. I'm not sure why. They're not history majors. They're just groupies for this one teacher.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2005, 10:39:24 AM »

Cell phones:  Well, here's an anecdote involving Susannah Mars, whose father starred in the Superman video BK just watched.  I was doing a cabaret with her and we thought it would be a funny gag if I came out first to do a solo and had my cell phone placed on the piano.  During the solo, Susannah, who was already mic'd, was going to call me from her dressing room and start talking to me, giving us the opportunity to do a little "bit" on how people should turn off their phones.  So I go out, start playing, and my cell phone rings and I pick it up, only...Susannah had forgotten to turn on her mic.  So there am I, trying to alert Susannah to the fact that this fabulous joke is falling flat as she continues with her non-mic'd lines about interrupting a performance with a cell phone.  Ultimately she figured out from my repeated stage whispers ("TURN ON YOUR MIC", LOL), and we recovered semi-nicely.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2005, 10:40:56 AM »

Yes, I have a lot of my grandma's furniture. My favorite is the desk that belonged to my great-grandmother. My mom is especially fond of the china cabinet that she had to fight her sister to get.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up