Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE CHARACTER IN SEARCH OF A DAY  (Read 6674 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: ONE CHARACTER IN SEARCH OF A DAY
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2018, 12:24:30 PM »

four!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2018, 12:25:28 PM »

Have we linked to this before - Maybe BK knows who thought of re-using most of this Strouse tune, or if there's a story of interest.  This is the very short film the Charles Strouse tune for "Tomorrow"  was originally mostly written for.

The song "The Way It Is Now" (sung in the film by Shelley Plimpton) starts around 2-1/2 minutes in, and then over the end credits.

"Replay" - short 1970 film
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO811mJzD1Y

FJL

« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2018, 12:27:15 PM »

Strouse write music and lyrics for "The Way It Is Now" - so no permission issues, of course.  He was just able to re-use it.

George

« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2018, 12:28:31 PM »

Maybe you will get someone even better DR GEORGE.

It's possible, Jrand.  She is good at stage managing, but I don't know what kind of a choreographer she is. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2018, 12:32:29 PM »

DR George when is your show?

We run May 11 – June 3, 2018Four weekends!

George

« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2018, 12:38:42 PM »

Jane, be glad you avoided Flat Broke with Two Goats. Flat writing is more like it. And too much detail about favorite craft beers.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

It is the current "big library read" here so I get to see it every time I go to the library site.  I just checked the Ashland library and it is the same there.  Do all libraries across the country choose the same book?

I think that there is some national read-the-same-book program that libraries can choose to participate in, but our library has our own "Timberland Reads Together" program.  The link is to last year's program.  This year's title/author hasn't been announced, yet.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2018, 12:43:03 PM »

I've contacted a Rescue Group, Little Wanderers NYC, about taking the discarded food off my hands.  It night as well go to a good cause.

Just heard from them.  They'll be here around 4:00.

That was fast :)

They just canceled on me and asked about tomorrow morning. I'm waiting to hear from Joshie before I can say yes or no.

LOL, that was also fast.

George

« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2018, 12:53:04 PM »

The original Gennaro choreography for Annie was brilliant and You're Never Fully Dressed was the best of it, that and the staging of Easy Street.  Hard Knock Life was simple and great.  You can see the original You're Never Fully Dressed right here - this is when choreographers knew how to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-44jUFsqdo

I also watched other versions of this number and yikes.  Especially the TV movie version, which is everything you need to know about choreographers not being what they were.

And the original choreography is much more historically accurate.  The modern gymnastics aren't the kinds of dance moves that people in the 1930s would've done, at all.  Like near rhymes in lyrics, it takes me out of the moment. :P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2018, 01:04:55 PM »

Thanks to all for the photo compliments.

Yes, as DR GEORGE wrote.....it's like the hip hop in NEWSIES.....

I remember the tumbling in NEVER FULLY DRESSED....but it was nothing like the Olympic floor routines we get nowadays....but I shall say no more.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Laura

« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2018, 01:14:24 PM »

Good afternoon.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2018, 01:14:56 PM »

Gosh, Elmore. I wish you lived close enough to give ME all the unwanted food. My outside kitties LOVE canned food.

Laura

« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »

It has cooled off here for the day. It is very very windy. And the yard people across the street are blowing leaves and such as just about as fast as the wind is blowing it back.

George

« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2018, 01:48:54 PM »

I love watching those original videos!!!

DR FJL I like that quote.....he's right.....who knows?

FROM DR FJL:
I mean, the pre-teen kids are rhyming "smidge" and "orphanage"  - as some critic said of some funny, stretchy JOSEPH lyrics, who's to say where naivete ends and sophisticated begins?

I think that critic was citing (from JOSEPH) really giggly stuff like "All those things you saw in your / Are a long-range forecast for your farmers."   

In ANNIE, "The snowflakes are frightened of falling" rhyming with "And all through the land folks are bawling." [the latter of which to my Borscht Belt mind made me think when I heard it, wouldn't that have been great in I LOVE MY WIFE.  :)

(sorry, i know it's a family site)

The pajamas/farmers lyric is a British rhyme, so that doesn't bother me so much, and the original recording is (and several subsequent recordings are) cast with British performers who pronounce the rhymes correctly for their accents.  I remember reading about when Stephen Sondheim worked with young musical theater writers/composers in London, and for a gift he gave them all his preferred rhyming dictionary.  The students said that it was not too helpful because it has for rhymes an American accent and not their British accent.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 01:54:57 PM by George »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2018, 01:49:37 PM »

Had a fun meeting with Kay Cole.  Then I had to put gas in the motor car, and then I picked up some packages but naturally Amazon hadn't delivered yet - not sure if I'll get back there today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2018, 01:53:21 PM »

South Pacific vibes for MR BK.  You are going to hear a story about a guy killing a bully several times - but just concentrate on the songs.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2018, 01:53:43 PM »

That's looking a Stephen Sondheim gift horse in the mouth.

George

« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2018, 01:56:13 PM »

That's looking a Stephen Sondheim gift horse in the mouth.

I know, right??

;)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2018, 02:02:42 PM »

The original Gennaro choreography for Annie was brilliant and You're Never Fully Dressed was the best of it, that and the staging of Easy Street.  Hard Knock Life was simple and great.  You can see the original You're Never Fully Dressed right here - this is when choreographers knew how to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-44jUFsqdo

I also watched other versions of this number and yikes.  Especially the TV movie version, which is everything you need to know about choreographers not being what they were.

And the original choreography is much more historically accurate.  The modern gymnastics aren't the kinds of dance moves that people in the 1930s would've done, at all.  Like near rhymes in lyrics, it takes me out of the moment. :P

How dare you question the historical accuracy of the choreography in Newsies?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2018, 02:34:51 PM »

I’m gonna get my bossa nova on tonight. Ushering for Bebel Gilberto.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2018, 02:36:30 PM »

― Voltaire

George

« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2018, 02:50:12 PM »

I’m gonna get my bossa nova on tonight. Ushering for Bebel Gilberto.

Enjoy!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2018, 03:38:07 PM »

Well, luck was on my side.  One of the Little Wanderers NYC people showed up 15 minutes ago and carted away all the cat food.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2018, 03:40:02 PM »

On an even happier note, little Thatch is now actually climbing onto my lap or chest to sleep when I'm lying down. What's even cuter, he follows me into the bathroom whenever I get up in the middle of the night, then runs ahead and jumps up into my bed.  After he feels he's had enough cuddling, he climbs back in his cat tree.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 03:44:16 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2018, 04:09:20 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2018, 04:09:56 PM »

Elmore, I'm glad Thatch has adjusted so well. I recall his early days with you.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2018, 04:13:42 PM »

I've had an at-home day. Two days ago I learned that the City would be closing my street today, in order to reseal it. No vehicular use from 7 am to 6 pm. Like most of my neighbors, I chose to stay IN. I had been trying to catch up on some errands this week, but life has conspired against me. I have plenty of things to catch up on inside, too, so I just had to rearrange things.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2018, 04:17:14 PM »

I have no other news.

TTFN.

George

« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2018, 04:21:52 PM »

On an even happier note, little Thatch is now actually climbing onto my lap or chest to sleep when I'm lying down. What's even cuter, he follows me into the bathroom whenever I get up in the middle of the night, then runs ahead and jumps up into my bed.  After he feels he's had enough cuddling, he climbs back in his cat tree.

Nice!

Jane

« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2018, 04:25:38 PM »

Well, luck was on my side.  One of the Little Wanderers NYC people showed up 15 minutes ago and carted away all the cat food.

It seems as if they were wandering today and not sure where they would be ;)

Jane

« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2018, 04:25:52 PM »

Awww :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up