Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LOVE MEANS NEVER HAVING TO SAY YOU'RE SARI  (Read 4599 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
LOVE MEANS NEVER HAVING TO SAY YOU'RE SARI
« on: May 15, 2018, 12:19:33 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were neither sorry nor Sari, and now it is time for you to post until the sorry cows come home - they're currently singing that great song MOO's Sorry Now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: LOVE MEANS NEVER HAVING TO SAY YOU'RE SARI
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 12:21:46 AM »

And the word of the day is: PETRICHOR!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 01:03:12 AM »

I remember reading that in the past, writers of shows that were adapted from other sources specifically would not give their show the same name as the original movie or book.  That made it more about being their (the writers') show and not just a musicalization of a property.  That also (it seemed to me) allowed the show writers to have more leeway to take things in different directions and not exactly copy the original source (even if that's what they did). 

Just my 2¢.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 04:01:17 AM »

Good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 04:02:00 AM »

Marc Shaiman did post this I guess because of the backlash.

SOME LIKE IT HOT! I am so happy that Scott & I can finally talk about this! We are having a great time creating a brand new musical of "SOME LIKE IT HOT" with playwright Matthew Lopez and director/choreographer Casey Nicholaw, which is being produced by Craig Zadan & Neil Meron and The Shuberts. I can't share any info about how we all are approaching it, but if we do what we intend to, I believe it will earn it's right to exist as the second - an alternate, if you will - musical of this film to be written. No one else can ever be Jule Styne & Bob Merrill, so we are heading in different (and exciting!) directions. And I can't wait for you all to see our version of this classic story.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 04:38:01 AM »

How much "different" can two musicals based on the SAME movie be?  Where would the difference come in?  Crazy.....

I HATE the NEW Broadway....I'm not saying these shows are bad...but all of the Disney cartoons that are onstage.....and the other movie shows.....Shrek, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Aladdin, Mean Girls, Sponge Bob Square Pants, The Hunchback of Notre Dame....  I hate that most of these shows are filtering down to community theatre now - and everyone wants to do them...ugh....

And looking at the theatre boards - which I don't do regularly - and talking to high school kids.....nothing before 1990 exists for them...except GREASE....and that's because of the movie version....whose songs are now in the stage show....

Oh well.....it is what it is....it's now, baby, and it's hot.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 04:38:21 AM »

"If this room were on fire, you wouldn't be hot...."

THE SUNSHINE BOYS

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 04:39:35 AM »

The Vegas Golden Knights tied up the series last night 1 game to 1 game.....next game on Wednesday.

The director changed THE ENTIRE SCHEDULE around....so we are NOT doing run thrus this week, we are working on songs and scenes, which is a good thing.

At 6:30, Annie and I get to work with THE DOG!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 06:21:15 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 06:23:05 AM »

Another bad night, a combo of leg, diabetes, neuroses, and the weather.  I let the cats drag me out of bed for breakfast at 6:30 and went back to bed till 8:45.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 06:27:08 AM »

Last night at 7:45, as I was settling in for Little Women, Part 1, at 8:00, I tried to put a score back onto a shelf and knocked everything off the shelf onto the floor along with a full glass of water from my nightstand.  It took me 30 minutes to clean up most of the mess.  I lost a couple of unread magazines and my copy of Chekhob's plays was too wet to keep.  Most of the books were slightly damp and patted dry.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 06:27:34 AM »

So, what are your thoughts on Little Women?

ChasSmith

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 07:04:47 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 07:05:30 AM »

Slow start here, but it's what I wanted.

ChasSmith

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 07:05:43 AM »

Feel better vibes for DR Elmore.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 07:08:20 AM »

T.O.D.

I didn't see the announcement about the new musical version of SOME LIKE IT HOT, so I can't really comment on that.

I did see SUGAR when it played the Dorothy Chandler back in the (I believe) 1970s.  My publicity client, Gale Gordon, played the Joe E. Brown role, and as I recall, Robert Morse did the Jack Lemmon part.

You can dream…or you can do.

ChasSmith

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 07:09:47 AM »

Agree re the odious Hollywood-Broadway syndrome.

But Hollywood is eating itself now, as well. Not that any of it has to affect me at all. I mean, I don't have to pay attention to it, or see anything I don't want to see, etc. But having these things, and so much else that could be so much better, implode all around me for no good reason at all, is just disheartening.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:13:54 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 07:11:30 AM »

T.O.D.

I didn't see the announcement about the new musical version of SOME LIKE IT HOT, so I can't really comment on that.

I did see SUGAR when it played the Dorothy Chandler back in the (I believe) 1970s.  My publicity client, Gale Gordon, played the Joe E. Brown role, and as I recall, Robert Morse did the Jack Lemmon part.

I saw it there, too, but my program disappeared years ago, and for the life of me, I can remember hardly anything of the actual show.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 07:17:23 AM »

Annabelle and I did our patrol.  All she wanted to do was lounge like Cleopatra on the steps, on the floor, on the windowsill. I knew giving her that Claudette Colbert DVD set would come back to haunt me.

So, once I realized she wasn't interested in exploring this morning I dragged her home after 15 minutes of artistic posing in public.  Thatch was glad to have her home for a fame of tag.

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 07:22:50 AM »

You don't happen to have any agents living in the building, so you? -- any one of whom might just happen by at an opportune moment of posing?

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 07:23:49 AM »

More coffee!

Looks like a three-cup morning.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 07:39:14 AM »

So, what are your thoughts on Little Women?

We watched the 1st part last night.  It was ok.  I hope part 2 is more enjoyable..

Did anyone else have trouble understanding what was being said?  When Keith also has trouble I know it is the show and not just me.  Since the caption for the hearing impaired was out or syn he set it for replay only.  We had to go back a number of times.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 07:41:59 AM »

I like Big Women.....

FJL

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 07:56:42 AM »

A coincidence:  Jule Styne wrote the music (Leo Robin's lyrics) for an entirely different musical of MY SISTER EILEEN for the musical film which starred Betty Garrett and Janet Leigh.   (It says on wikipedia for the film that there were lawyers keeping track that WONDERFUL TOWN was not being copied in any way.)

FJL

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 08:00:25 AM »

I remember reading that in the past, writers of shows that were adapted from other sources specifically would not give their show the same name as the original movie or book.  That made it more about being their (the writers') show and not just a musicalization of a property.  That also (it seemed to me) allowed the show writers to have more leeway to take things in different directions and not exactly copy the original source (even if that's what they did). 

Just my 2¢.

The first musical i can recall that kept the same title as the film it was based on was SHENANDOAH.

By the time of WOMAN OF THE YEAR, LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS, and LA CAGE AUX FOLLES. it seemed that in general, musicals no longer bothered to find a different title. 

(I wonder if "8-1/2" became NINE for reasons that might not be proper for a family site.)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:02:47 AM by FJL »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2018, 08:06:20 AM »

You don't happen to have any agents living in the building, so you? -- any one of whom might just happen by at an opportune moment of posing?

No.  We've had an opera singer, an ASCAP employee, a soap opera director, and Ricky Martin in the past 38 years

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2018, 08:06:50 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 08:07:42 AM »

Off-site meeting this morning. Lots of healthy discussion. Nice.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2018, 08:11:33 AM »

There have been multiple musical versions of different stories before. How many versions of Twelfth Night are there? (Music Is, Your Own Thing Are but two.) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is another and the Shaiman version was an unnecessary flop.
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2018, 08:16:44 AM »

T.O.D.

I saw it there, too, but my program disappeared years ago, and for the life of me, I can remember hardly anything of the actual show.

As I recall, it wan't a very good show.
You can dream…or you can do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up