Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A MONDAY SORT OF MONDAY  (Read 37291 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:A MONDAY SORT OF MONDAY
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2005, 02:56:29 PM »

They fired Paige Davis from Trading Spaces?

This is not good!  I love her!

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=3203

Well, I for one will not miss her. She added nothing to the show, IMO.  The first season with "Alex" something-or-other was best for me because they actually showed the viewers "how" they did things, rather than talk, talk, talk, talk, pester, pester, pester and then the reveal.

I'm SO SICK of Hildy and Genevieve and Doug I could just...just....spit.   Ptui.  Ptui.

Nate Berkus, on the other hand, is a creative genius.  What Paige could bring to a show with him I can't imagine since Paige has no interior design creativity to my knowledge.

She's a second-string actress getting a cable network boost in popularity, but I think the bottom will fall out eventually when folks grok that she's basically very limited in everything but tooth wattage.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2005, 02:57:22 PM »

And THAT's how to start a new page, I reckon!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2005, 02:59:48 PM »

I just came from the first recording session for this JULE STYNE IN HOLLYWOOD recording, and I was happy with my chart.  

Are they doing "Happy Houseboat" or "I Think That You and I Should Get Acquainted" from Styne's contribution to "What A Way to Go"????  

:D

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2005, 03:06:45 PM »

Ron, I agree with your sentiments on Trading Spaces.  Additionally, what I hate is the pseudo-conflict they manufacture...Like finding out a colour the couple just hates and then doing the room in that colour.  And Hildy and Doug deliberately doing what they want rather than listening to anyone.  Low point: the Hildy's fake flower bathroom...not only bad design, but it created an uncleanable room full of dust-catchers.  The whole point of good design is serving your clients.  That's why I gave up on this long ago and switched over to HGTV for my house and garden fix.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2005, 03:12:37 PM »

HGTV is where it is at for me, too....

My favorite episode of Designer's Challenge introduced me to designer Lee Snijders:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/decorating/article/0,1793,HGTV_3545_2043431,00.html

He was unbelievable in what he did to this unusually large, long room....he now has a weekly show in which he and two others re-do rooms (name of show eludes my little grey cells)

I like a lot of what many designers do on the various shows, but Lee...and Debbie Travis!!!...are my favorites.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 03:23:58 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jennifer

« Reply #155 on: January 24, 2005, 03:21:44 PM »

I disagree, I think Paige is a big part of Trading Spaces success.  And I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of viewers stop watching.

Also, I LOVE Hildy.  I think she is fantastic.  Although I don't like her rooms when she goes off the deep end.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2005, 03:22:21 PM »

A guilty HGTV pleasure is "Design for the Sexes" with the unbearably stilted/scripted/smarmy Michael Payne.

He's nearly unspeakably phony in his approach to solving the differences between the sexes but it's a phoniness that is also informed by his unique talents as a designer and a British accent that makes it impossible for me to do anything more than cluck and kvetch over the bad "acting" he is doing but marvelling at how he gets the job done beautifully time after time....especially when he has to combine little things that "he likes" and "she likes" by designing something for them himself.

What I LOVE about the show is the "reveal" in which he pretends he's not seen a single thing done to the room until he visits "to see how it all turned out and whether the couple are pleased."

And Oh! My! How he oohs and aahs over how beautifully his design worked for whatever room it was for!!!!!   And didn't "they" (i.e. "he") do a marvelous job and don't they display (i.e., "he") exquisite taste???!!!

PLEASE! [HUGE grins here]  Like...what???...the designer never ONCE goes in and supervises the change????

Are we to believe that for one minute???

I laugh and laugh, and fuss and laugh.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 03:30:12 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Charles Pogue

« Reply #157 on: January 24, 2005, 03:22:52 PM »

The Lovely Wife is also a big Debbie Travis fan...I can't think of the title of Lee's show either, but he alternates with another woman.  They both have their teams and they re-do a room for like a thousand bucks.  They've got a bunch of shows I like...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2005, 03:23:19 PM »

I disagree, I think Paige is a big part of Trading Spaces success.  And I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of viewers stop watching.

Also, I LOVE Hildy.  I think she is fantastic.  Although I don't like her rooms when she goes off the deep end.

I'm one who stopped watching at the start of this season...primarily because OF Paige's predictable nothingness and the absence of the best designer they ever had -- Vern Yip.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2005, 03:25:29 PM »

Hildy is a bad, bad designer...and nine times out of ten, her rooms will be monochromatic...lots of black and grey, which is what she always wears.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2005, 03:27:01 PM »

Is anyone out there willing to admit to watching "Project Runway"??????

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Quelle high drama!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 03:27:19 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Cillaliz

« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2005, 03:27:47 PM »

They fired Paige Davis from Trading Spaces?

Oh, that makes me sad. I love her too!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2005, 03:28:53 PM »

The Lovely Wife is also a big Debbie Travis fan...I can't think of the title of Lee's show either, but he alternates with another woman.  They both have their teams and they re-do a room for like a thousand bucks.  They've got a bunch of shows I like...

"Design on a Dime"

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2005, 03:32:15 PM »

Somehow, that seems a little sad....

Well...

If I actually had blanked someone to bring us to Page 5, then that would have been sad.

And, furthermore, if I had had to blank who I probably would have had to blank to get us to Page 5 then that would have been pathetic.  And desperate.

:o
 :-X
 ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2005, 03:32:36 PM »

Evening all!  

I'm so very glad to read that DRs Ann and Ozderek are on the mend.  

DR Elmore, I glad that you also had good news but I wish the doctor would have taken care of the problem 100%.

DR Jose, I'm also happy that your foot isn't giving you any problem.

I'm tired tonight.  I've been awake since four O'clock this morning.  Just woke up and could not go back to sleep.  I think I will sleep well tonight.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Cillaliz

« Reply #165 on: January 24, 2005, 03:34:10 PM »

I think Paige adds to Trading Spaces.  I can't see the show without a host (even if it isn't Paige). There has to be someone that everyone can go to with the mini-dramas that develop during the show.  Oh well, I'll just have to watch and see what happens.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2005, 03:34:36 PM »

Welcome back DR ozderek!

Good news, DR Elmore!

Cillaliz

« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2005, 03:35:17 PM »

DR Elmore glad to hear you had good news at the doctor

Danise

« Reply #168 on: January 24, 2005, 03:37:23 PM »

DR DANISE: Yes, I did know it’s the year of the Rooster. I have no idea where you read that on, but speaking of it in Japan.  It’s called the twelve signs of the Japanese zodiac (perhaps it’s China in origin) so there are twelve kinds of animals named years. These are… Rat, Bull, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Sheep, Monkey, Cock, Dog, Boar.

Incidentally, the year dear BK was born is the Boar’s. The person who was born in the year of Boar, is said to be, makes a mad dash for his goal. I’m not sure if it’s true or not…but I guess it’s pretty close, though I don’t believe fortunetellings much.   ;)

Ps, DR DANISE re pictures of your roses, TAKE YOUR TIME!
 :) ;) :)

I forget which site I was on when I spoted that but can tell you that I am a Dog.  No, really, that's what I am.  :D  They say it is the best sign to be.   I sometimes look at B & B and wish I had a dogs life.  

I would like to lay on the couch all day and be fed animal crackers and goodies.  Woof for someone to let me out and Woof for someone to let me back in.  

Not bad at all.  

I found the pictures of the rose when I first planted it. Not much to see--just a brown stick.  Still looking for pictures of the flower.  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 03:38:58 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #169 on: January 24, 2005, 03:39:23 PM »

I forgot it was Jan. 24. (Okay, I didn't know it in the first place.)

TV ALERT***  Tonight on TCM - The silent movie, THE TEMPTRESS, directed by Fred Niblo, starring Garbo and Lionel Barrymore.
As I mentioned a few days ago, I saw it at a screening last week and really enjoyed it. It has a new score by Michael Picton - a name to watch IMO. He won the TCM Young Composers Competition. The head judge was Elmer Bernstein. Along with the movie they will be showing a short docu, SETTLING THE SCORE, about the competition itself. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED VIEWING OR TIVO-ING.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #170 on: January 24, 2005, 03:40:20 PM »

Ummm...

Know I know what my Dad does when on my day off when I'm usually home in Richmond...

Karaoke.

So... Rush hour ends in about 30 minutes... I can be back in my apartment by 9:00...

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #171 on: January 24, 2005, 03:41:30 PM »

Oh, and the proverbial straws that broke the proverbial camel's back:

"My Way"

and

"I Will Survive"

::)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 03:42:15 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #172 on: January 24, 2005, 03:42:07 PM »

As I said, I think most of the "mini-dramas" on Trading Spaces are manufactured...Somehow they think we need conflict.  That we won't watch if the show is just about...gee...design.  I mean every week they try to pretend "Oh, my God, will they finish on time?"  Whenever haven't they?  Puh-lease!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 03:51:29 PM by Charles Pogue »

Danise

« Reply #173 on: January 24, 2005, 03:42:36 PM »

Dr Danise, my apologies too, I should have gone back and looked to see who it was.....I'm still sorting out who is who here

No need for apologies from either of you ladies.  

I get Bonnie (the SUV) TOMORROW!  I'm taking a half day of vacation so I can fo over the paperwork and take my time.  Then when the keys are in my hand, I am taking it to Tire Kingdom for it's check for the insurance company.  It should be clear sailing after that.  

Mom wants to go for ride when I bring it home.  It's a very exciting time.   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #174 on: January 24, 2005, 03:44:36 PM »

BTW - If you look up THE TEMPTRESS (1926) on IMDB - don't let the fact that they say it's 117 minutes scare you. It isn't. There were several versions around, apparently. And this is a shorter version. Some of the titles are absolutely (unintentionally) hilarious.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 03:46:05 PM by Panni »

Cillaliz

« Reply #175 on: January 24, 2005, 03:44:50 PM »

As I said, I think most of the "mini-dramas" on Trading Spaces are manufactured...Somehow they think we need conflict.  That we won't watch if the show isn't just about...gee...design.  I mean every week they try to pretend "Oh, my God, will they finish on time?"  Whenever haven't they?  Puh-lease!

I agree about the finishing on time, that's just stupid.  I guess I'm thinking more of the times when things go wrong.  Obviously some of that is manufactured as well.

Danise

« Reply #176 on: January 24, 2005, 03:45:46 PM »

As for the TOD--I could be cute and say, I'd like to be a fly on the wall for the Fly.  No groaning!  ;D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #177 on: January 24, 2005, 03:47:38 PM »

I've been meaning to say all day...

****Feel better vibes to DR Jrand!****

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: January 24, 2005, 03:50:43 PM »

I'm finished being productive for the day.  We'll see if any of it's any good.

Now I must shave and shower and make ready to go see The Prisoner of Second Avenue reading at the Alex.

Danise

« Reply #179 on: January 24, 2005, 03:56:46 PM »

Did I miss sending vibes to DR JRand?  I'm sorry.  I hope you feel better very soon.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up