Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SWINGING WITH THE SWINGLE SINGERS  (Read 4600 times)

FJL

Re: SWINGING WITH THE SWINGLE SINGERS
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2018, 06:04:00 AM »

I guess there are worse things to be conflated.

FJL

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2018, 06:05:07 AM »

Thanks to the folks here who liked the Second Story Repertory page on Facebook!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2018, 06:07:56 AM »

I am looking at the Swingle Singers CD's on Amazon....and listening to the samples....I am pondering which CD to buy to begin with....or I may buy a couple of them....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2018, 06:09:39 AM »

Jane, I don't know if I mentioned it here, but there were an unusual number of planes with delays and changed gates at Seattle/Tacoma Airport last Friday.  But they did let everyone who gave an email address know by email.

FJL

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2018, 06:09:48 AM »

And yet even though my plane was over an hour late departing, it got in only a half-hour or so late.  I guess they build delays into the announced flight time, figuring no one will ever complain about a plane getting in earlier than the official schedule.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2018, 06:10:11 AM »

It rained very hard last night during rehearsal, and two leaks in the roof were discovered. 

I think they were around the cupolas....the roofer has been notified, and he will check on it one day next week.

Until then, two metal Hard Knock Life buckets have been reduced to collected rainwater....ah the vagaries of Show Business...  Of course only ONE of them made it to the stage during the most recent production....no time for scrubbing them floors when there's flipping and flopping to get done!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2018, 06:11:46 AM »

Jrand, have you ever danced to Swing Out Sister's "Breakout?" 

There was something about it that made everyone at work just start swaying when it came on the radio.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2018, 06:13:00 AM »

Travel vibes for DR JANE & KEITH.

Thanks.

Jane

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2018, 06:14:01 AM »

It rained a LOT here last night during rehearsal....a lot and HARD.....and it is still raining this morning.

I have a six month follow up appt. with my radiation doctor....Dr. Val from the Ukraine....  And of course my colonoscopy on what I have left is on Monday....

Good vibes for both appointments!

Jane

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2018, 06:16:31 AM »

More travel vibes to Jane and Keith!

Thank you.

FJL

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2018, 06:22:31 AM »

Until then, two metal Hard Knock Life buckets have been reduced to collected rainwater....ah the vagaries of Show Business...  Of course only ONE of them made it to the stage during the most recent production....no time for scrubbing them floors when there's flipping and flopping to get done!

I  never would have expected booing the cast at Jerome Robbins' Broadway, so I'm wondering what's next.   

Gotta wonder if it were written in the P.C. 2010s an audience having fun watching scared orphans sing and dance would be picketed. 

FJL

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2018, 06:30:00 AM »

It's a strange issue with a show like "Jerome Robbins' Broadway," which has so many different ethnic characters.  maybe it's unplayable unless there are no budgetary concerns about the cast size?  This is from BWW:

The Muny Releases Statement in Response to Jerome Robbins' Broadway 'Yellowface' Complaints

The Muny has issued a response to both social media complaints and a small protest during a performance of Jerome Robbins' Broadway at the theatre this week. During a segment of the show, reenacting parts of The King and I, a group of 15 protestors were ejected while chanting 'no yellowface' during a scene where a white actress played 'Tuptim', a character from Burma (now Myanmar) in the scene. For more information on the protestors, click here. The Muny has now issued a statement in response:

"In our production of Jerome Robbins' Broadway, The Muny endeavored to stay true to the original staging of its original Broadway production, a show that was created and intended to celebrate and re-create some of the most iconic dances in musical theatre history. In that pursuit, moments in the production have caused hurt and offense - a disappointing and unintended result for which we have great regret. While audiences evolve, all of us who proudly steward this art to our communities face the same challenge. That at times the events, the stories, the ideas which create the narrative of our productions represent frozen moments in time that are at odds with what we now understand. In retrospect, greater contextual explanation and scrutiny are valuable tools which could have been better employed for our production.

The reality of this particular production is that it also presents a challenge that has never been faced since its original 1989 Broadway staging. Essentially starring every lead character from 11 of Robbins' greatest choreographic successes, the production is a huge challenge to cast from many perspectives. Gifted with a director who was part of the original production, The Muny's creative team assembled a diverse, talented cast to bring life to this production. Although the decision to include a non-Asian performer as one of three leads in The King and I scene of Jerome Robbins' Broadway was a function of casting realities for a show of large scale, in hindsight, that was a bad decision that has caused hurt. Again, the hurt that this has caused was unintended and the conversation it has yielded is incredibly valuable for our institution and for the industry of musical theatre.

We do hope that those who have felt harm have also felt heard. We ask that your reaction be measured in that the performers in this show find themselves in an unfortunate and uncomfortable position, but they are not ultimately at fault. As artists and as human beings, they deserve respect and support. We ask that for all our companies, as we close this production and prepare to open The Wiz this week. Tremendous work and passion have gone into each of our productions for this centennial season, and we are proud of and thankful to all the artisans who are a part of that process.

As an institution, we own the responsibility of what happens on our stage for better or for worse. We will continue to welcome the lessons and the feedback that result from moments like this and apply them in a meaningful way as we move forward. Our commitment, belief and dedication to inclusive and diverse casting, as well as honest examination of imagery and ideas in our productions, is real and passionate. Representation matters to The Muny.

Sincerely,
The Muny"

Laura

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2018, 07:12:02 AM »

Good morning.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2018, 07:14:48 AM »

Thank you all for your good wishes. I'm sure Rex will be ok for a while yet. I just have to make sure he gets some water in his diet. Last night, I bought some canned cat food nibbles in gravy. I put it in a strainer and added some water to get more gravy. I added the gravy to Rex's canned food and put the nibbles out for the feral cats. Everyone seemed happy. That will have to work for now.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2018, 07:21:13 AM »

Jane, I don't know if I mentioned it here, but there were an unusual number of planes with delays and changed gates at Seattle/Tacoma Airport last Friday.  But they did let everyone who gave an email address know by email.

So far all is good. Our plane is here and we should be boarding soon.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2018, 07:22:43 AM »

Laura good luck that works.

Jane

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2018, 07:24:26 AM »

I am hoping for a smooth flight cuz I am already feeling sick.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2018, 07:28:18 AM »

We are on the plane :)

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2018, 08:12:42 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Slow start today, but I'm getting myself together to meet the incoming Current Events Club treasurer at the bank.  We'll get her onto the checking account and I'll turn the books over to her for the coming year.  Yay!

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2018, 08:13:03 AM »

Travel vibes for DR Jane and Keith!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2018, 08:13:34 AM »

DR Elmore, I just printed our July 5 tickets!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2018, 08:22:05 AM »

More travel vibes to Jane and Keith!

And more travel vibes.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2018, 08:25:35 AM »

Elmore, is La Diva Annabelle going to audition for this supposed upcoming film of Cats? Or is she too good?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2018, 08:43:54 AM »

Good morning.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2018, 08:45:15 AM »

Elmore, is La Diva Annabelle going to audition for this supposed upcoming film of Cats? Or is she too good?

I just hope they can get the entire creative team responsible for the film, A CHORUS LINE, to make the film version of CATS!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2018, 08:48:01 AM »

Vibes that Jane does not get sick on the flight!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2018, 10:10:19 AM »

Same with this new West Side Story film: I'm not telling her about it. 
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2018, 10:11:41 AM »

From the way she's been carrying on over her diet, I suspect she's more prepared to play Hedda Gabler.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2018, 10:30:10 AM »

Travel vibes for DR Jane and Keith!

Thanks.  So far the flight is going well enough.  I am connected to WiFi off of Keith's phone.

Jane

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2018, 10:30:57 AM »

Vibes that Jane does not get sick on the flight!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks.  I don't feel any worse so that is good.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up